Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
PrincessCastMember
Mouseketeer

Cool Best Sunglasses for Traveling the World!

I admit, I am a constant victim of buying cheap-o pairs of sunglasses at random gas stations and state welcome centers when I travel. This year I would like to own an actual DECENT pair of sunglasses that would be ideal for traveling WDW.

Any recommendations on the best pair of (female) sunglasses? Brands or specifics are good! Pictures are great too!

I’m looking for something that is fashionable, but doesn’t cost something in the triple digits and also provides good protection from the sun and is comfortable to wear all day.

http://disneylittlethings.blogspot.com/ My blog all about the little things that make WDW great, from a former Cast Member's point of view.

**A Proud Walt Disney World Former Cast Member**
2003 - 2004: Disney College Program, Hoop Dee Doo Revue
2006 - 2008: Magic Kingdom Guest Relations, Keys to the Kingdom Tour Guide
PrincessCastMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
JeRmS
Mouseketeer

I know you said something that doesn't cost in the triple digits BUT I have to tell you, when it comes to sunglasses you get what you pay for and the best that I have ever found ... hands down, no questions asked without a doubt ...

Costa Del Mar
https://www.costadelmar.com/shop/sunglasses#bomba

They are pricey, but like I said, they are the best of the best! They also come with a lifetime warranty!

You may be able to find them cheaper by doing some online shopping and finding a coupon BUT if your like me I like to try them on first at a store and then buy them online!

Honestly there are other brands, that are decent glasses but in the end you will spend much more replacing those "decent" brands over time than you would if you just bought a pair of Costas.

In the past, before I bought my Costas, I had pairs of Arnette's, Oakleys and RayBans ... I spent 3 times the amount on those 3 pairs than I would have on a pair of Costas ... and they didn't last nearly as long!

Just my opinion!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-16-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
Rosemerta
Earning My Ears

Del Sol

I got some great sunglasses at Del Sol. They're 100% UVA/UVB blocking and polarized and cost only $45.00. AND they have a life time guarantee - if you damage or even lose the glasses, they will replace them! If all that is not enough, they also change colors in the sun. How cool is that?
Rosemerta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:32 AM   #4
whamma
DIS Veteran

Revo's are my favorites but they are out of your price range. I got mine at Sunglass Hut and they have been extremely durable. You could always go to Sunglass Hut and look at several brands. Sometimes they have more expensive brands on clearance. You might find something on sale in your price range.

For a decent pair, but less expensive ($49-$59), Eddie Bauer sells many styles of polarized sunglasses in store. Both my husband and I have been very happy with the ones we've had from Eddie Bauer.
WDW with DVC: AKV- Jambo March 20-28, 2009, SSR July 10-17, 2009, BLT/AKV-Kidani Dec. 20-27, 2009, WL April 1-4, 2010, OKW July 25-31, 2010, BWV March 31-April 3, 2011, SSR August 9-16, 2011, BLT December 17-24, 2011, SSR July 31-August 6, 2012, POLY Sept. 6-9, 2012,BLT April 12-14, 2013, BCV/BLT July 19-27, 2014
DCL Cruises: Magic Western Caribbean March 22-29, 2008, Wonder 4-night Bahamas April 4-8, 2010, Dream 4-night Bahamas March 27-31, 2011, DCL Dream 4-night Bahamas April 14-18, 2013

Disneyland: GCV April 5-12, 2012, GCV March 22-28, 2014
Upcoming Trips: 1st Disney Princess Half Marathon BLT February 20-24, 2015, DCL Fantasy 7-night Eastern March 28-April 4, 2015
DVC member AKV 2008 BLT 2009
whamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #5
disney_girl125
Mouseketeer

I buy cheap sunglasses too. Last time I was at disney I "splurged" and bought $20 sunglasses from them! lol. They're cute, comfy, and priced just right..lol. I plan to get another pair when i'm there again.
disney_girl125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #6
dalefo99
Earning My Ears

I was reading "The Complete Walt Disney World 2012" book in preparation for our trip at the end of the month... and sunglasses where covered! An average of 210 pairs of sunglasses are lost each day. Sunglasses are the number 1 lost item, followed by hats.

I just picked up a pair of $25 glasses for the trip... If I lose them I won't be heartbroken, but they are nice enough to wear all day.
dalefo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:20 PM   #7
ktlm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalefo99 View Post
I was reading "The Complete Walt Disney World 2012" book in preparation for our trip at the end of the month... and sunglasses where covered! An average of 210 pairs of sunglasses are lost each day. Sunglasses are the number 1 lost item, followed by hats.

I just picked up a pair of $25 glasses for the trip... If I lose them I won't be heartbroken, but they are nice enough to wear all day.
Exactly. I have to admit that I am a fan of the triple digit sunglasses- the lenses are so much better than the cheap ones that once you have started with a pair, you can get hooked and not want to go back. However, I also don't use the triple digits at WDW. I stick to the cheap ones. At WDW, not only do they get lost, but they also get dropped, scratched and broken. You are going in and out so much, that they are on and off, on and off, on and off. I've dropped mine at WDW and when I picked them up they were completely scratched. DH actually did bring his triple digit pair to WDW, and he promptly dropped them on Main Street and popped a lense out, and also put a scratch on that lense.

I would suggest you continue your cheapo trend for WDW, and worry about breaking it at home. Otherwise I fear you will be mad at yourself when something happens to your new shades at WDW. For the under triple digit, but not cheepo, I'm a fan of Brighton. If you have a store around you, I have found some pretty good buys on the sale rack in the past.
ktlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:47 PM   #8
MissDisney121
DIS Veteran

If you have a Gordmans or Ross or some place like that near you you can find some pretty good sunglasses for much cheaper. I bought a pair or Fossil sunglasses that the tag said were supposed to be $65, and are very comfortable, for less than $20.

MissDisney121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #9
DisneyKim68
Mouseketeer

I love Maui Jim's (I have 3 pairs!) I have the ones that are "springy" on the sides. I love how they grip my head and stay put without being tight or uncomfortable.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:54 AM   #10
Disney_Alli
Mouseketeer

I have to admit that I'm a huge sunglasses fan and own two pairs of triple digit Oakleys. For touring I LOVE my Juliet's!!! They don't have nose pieces that constantly get stuck in my hair and I can leave them on my head for all rides. I will occasionally take them off if we're in a long inside queue for a dark & bouncy ride (Dinosaur for example) but otherwise I just leave them on my head. I love having them on Splash I put them on as we crest the drop and I don't get blinded by the sun as we go outside. Just about every picture of me from every Disney park has me with my Juliet's on and - bonus! - they look good too!
Disney_Alli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #11
roxysmum123
DIS Veteran

Honestly, for myself I'd stick with the cheapos. I lose my sunglasses almost every trip and it'd be a shame to lose some quality ones.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:59 PM   #12
pooh2001
been there, done that, TRYING to go back

I bring down 3 pairs of cheap ($20) sunglasses.
I need them with contacts, or I will be squinting all day.

I like cheap ones - no worries for me
Old 05-27-2012, 04:52 PM   #13
RadioMom
There's no place like home...and Walt Disney World.

For me, the best sunglasses to take to Disney are the ones you won't be heartbroken over if you lose! Everywhere I went on my other trips, I would see abandoned sunglasses! On rides, on benches, on busses, on restaurant tables, even on the bathroom floors!
The best sunglasses I own are from a street festival in New York, that I bought last year. They're awesome, look great, work even better and cost me $5. And this year, I found another pair that I have as a backup.
If it were me, I would buy two or three pair that were less than $20 but were really comfy. Hakim Optical usually has some good deals, Lens Crafters too if you have those options where you live.
Sunshine Foundation Dream Lift to Magic Kingdom 2009 - such a magical day!
Pop Century 2012! Can't wait!
Always thankful for every adventure!
RadioMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:24 PM   #14
taymaesmom
DIS Veteran

I agree, take the cheapos with you. I personally lose at least one pair each trip. Last christmas I brought 3 pairs and broke one and lost one. And I am really careful with them, they just seem to take a beating at Disney.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:17 AM   #15
pooh2001
been there, done that, TRYING to go back

I never put my sun glasses in a case - it would take up too much room in my handbag - with that said - my sunglasses take a beating at home and not just in WDW.

At least at WDW, my sunglasses, if not on my face, are in my fanny pack with less stuff I carry around daily at home in my handbag. So maybe my sunglasses at WDW are safer and happier

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: