Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2012, 02:55 PM   #61
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

I think I am going solo in October. It's difficult to find someone else that is middle-aged (I'm 53) and that has the time and/or money to travel. I took someone with me last May, but I had to pay for everything. I only did so because I didn't want to go by myself on the first trip after my Mom died...she always traveled with me. And I had some use or lose DVC points.

My single cousin may go with me in October, but she's trying to get the time off. She's a commercial travel agent and has two free "use or lose" flights, so if she goes, I'll get free airfare But the company she works for may not give her the time off, as she's already used most of her vacation time for family illness and funerals.

I did make 3 ADRs for one person. If my cousin is able to go, it shouldn't be a problem, as a table for one, by default, is also a table for two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyernmost View Post
Sorry, but Mission Space is doable at 65. Better find another reason!
I agree. Mom was riding Mission Space at 86 yo.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992

Last edited by Chuck S; 07-25-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #62
Cira
Earning My Ears

I started going alone to WDW many, many years ago. I thought that I would feel uncomfortable, kind of like that, "everyone is looking at me and knows I am alone" feeling. Perhaps I did feel like that a bit, at times, but mostly people are into themselves and their families. The FREEDOM of being alone there (in every way) is an ecstatic one. You come and go as you please, eat wherever, walk wherever, stop and go, come and go, shop or not shop, talk to strangers or not. In my case, at times, I felt a bit lonely but then again, that has to do with my state of mind at the time, and not with the fact it happens to everyone. I also went to Hollywood Studios alone and just loved taking photographs of the sights and interactions of others. Please don't ever let going solo stop you from doing it. Frankly, after I did it, I never wanted to go back with anyone...LOL ENJOY!
Cira is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #63
Cira
Earning My Ears

LOVED, LOVED YOUR RESPONSE and view on SOLOing.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:42 AM   #64
Cira
Earning My Ears

I wish you a beautiful, magical, happy time. I know you are going to enjoy it tremendously!! Take in every moment.!! :-) Fill us in on how it went when you get back please. Thanks!
Old 07-26-2012, 10:46 AM   #65
Cira
Earning My Ears

It is humorous to me that many people just freak out when you mention WDW and "solo" in the same sentence. I got past many an anxiety attack by going to WDW, getting out and seeing that I would be JUST FINE at the end of the day. I recommend it to everyone I can.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #66
Cira
Earning My Ears

You echoed my life (only child here) and sentiments exactly. :-)
Old 08-04-2012, 03:33 PM   #67
Bee2u
ImJustBeeNme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liliesinthevalley View Post
The only thing I really don't like doing by myself is eating out, so that was a tough thing for me to get over in WDW. I found myself doing CS and walking around eating rather than sitting and enjoying myself.
This is the part I'm concerned about. Sitting alone at a table waiting for food just sounds lonely to me.

My WDW trips: July 1972; Summer 1980; Our Honeymoon - June 28th - July 2, 1986; Summer 1999; March 2000 (kids sang @ Magical Music Days); Our 25th Anniv. celebration - June 24 - 28th, 2011 WL; Nov. 20 - 24, 2012 POR; Jan. 2 - 5, 2013 WL (My first Solo trip); Jan. 26 - 29, 2013 WL; birthday trip: Apr. 5 - 8, 2013 BC; June 3 - 8 2013 WL; First trip to DLR July 5 - 7, 2013; Sept. 19 - 22, 2013 WL; Nov. 23 - 29, 2013 POR; Dec. 6 - 9, 2013 CS; Feb. 1 - 3, 2014 Poly; Mar. 8 - 12, 2014, AoA; Apr. 3 - 7, 2014 POR; June 3 - 10, 2014 POR, WL
Bee2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:51 PM   #68
NJDiva
NJDiva Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee2u View Post
This is the part I'm concerned about. Sitting alone at a table waiting for food just sounds lonely to me.
Actually that's the time I enjoy.... I update my fb status, look at the map to see what I want to do next, read, play a game or just people watch . If you spend a lot of time with people it's the perfect time to decompress from others....

Last edited by NJDiva; 12-21-2012 at 08:33 AM.
NJDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:08 AM   #69
abdgeek
DIS Veteran

I started traveling solo about 20 years ago because none of my friends could travel when I could. Now I travel solo for that reason and because I haven't found anyone who travels like I like to.

I have traveled to WDW, DCL and ABD solo numerous times. I have the freedom to come and go as I please and do exactly what I want instead of not getting to have my vacation because everyone in the group doesn't want to do what I want to. I always meet nice people when I travel and a lot of them tell me that they wish they were traveling solo.
abdgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:07 PM   #70
MedicGoofy
DIS Veteran

I have my first Disney Cruise coming up in February. I couldn't be more excited Yet everyone I tell Im going solo, feels sorry for me and wonders what I will do with myself. I actually feel sorry for them

I can't wait to have some travel time by myself.....do what I want to do, when I want to do it. Make MY own plans. Sometimes travelling with others can get....frustrating. I can eat where I want, take all the time in the world to people watch, take pictures, walk around different places (hotels).

I look forward to my first solo trip to Disney sometime next year as well.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #71
CreativeDreamer
Earning My Ears

Sometimes solo is the best way to do what YOU want on YOUR schedule. Not a selfish thing by any means, just a way to experience Disney the way you like.
CreativeDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #72
GSLand
Mouseketeer

I'm thinking of a WDW solo trip for this winter when DH does his guys ski trip. I've started perusing the solo boards to check it out. You are encouraging me !
GSLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #73
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSLand View Post
I'm thinking of a WDW solo trip for this winter when DH does his guys ski trip. I've started perusing the solo boards to check it out. You are encouraging me !
DOOOOO EEEEETTTTT!!!

DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:08 PM   #74
sleeper
Earning My Ears

One thing I enjoy when making a solo visit it offering to take pictures of families. When I see a dad for instance taking a picture of his wife and kids, I"ll ask him if he wants me to take a picture of everyone. It's an easy offer to make and often brings a smile to everyone.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #75
stindall
Congress Tart

Thanks for this thread! I've been thinking about a solo trip for the past few days but I still can't decide. My husband is not really into the idea of going (we've been twice together and our last time was ruined by someone else in our party, but he's just not as into it as I am) and the few close friends I have are either not interested or can't afford it. The biggest issue for me is being able to share the experience with someone. I'm a fairly reserved and quiet person who likes to go go go and do my own thing with the least amount of people possible, but I just can't shake the feeling that I'd be sad without someone beside me.
stindall is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: