Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2012, 11:23 AM   #31
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamscometrue101 View Post
I've never done a solo trip to WDW but I plan to do 2 next year. I do solo trips for business all the time so I'm looking forward to having that freedom at my favorite place.

I have no problem eating alone, but I'm a little concerned about the character meals.

I absolutely adore the interaction with the characters and would like to dine at a few of my must-dos but I'm not sure how that would be dealt with at the restaurant. If I went to Ohana, 1900 Park Fare and Crystal Palace by myself would the "handler" be willing to take pics for me?
I'm sure you could find someone to take the picture for you. When me and my at-the-time DGF went to CRT last year our waiter offered to take some pictures of the 2 of us with the princesses (and even one of just us).
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:54 PM   #32
mtfarlin
Mouseketeer

Yes, when I have gone to character meals. the handlers have always been more than happy to take my picture w/the characters... Some characters are more responsive to single travelers than others, though when you show you are interested in meeting with them they are more than happy to come visit..I think sometimes they feel you would rather be left alone, but in my case I enjoy the meet and greet...great fun. The little bit of magic and attention might be just what you need for the day
mtfarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-24-2012, 02:29 PM   #33
Radiorox
Live from the city of Magic.

I went to the World over Labour Day weekend with family. NO ONE wanted to spend the money to hit the parks and I have a seasonal pass. Although I love spending time at the pool and the resorts, etc... I had a pass and I was going to put my money's worth into it!!!

So, I headed to Epcot solo on the first day, made it by 9. Headed straight to Soarin' and was able to ride twice within the first 45 mins, both times on the top row since they were filling in what was left of the row after the families ahead of me went.

Test Track - Rode three times back to back with basically no wait in the Single Rider line.

After that, Did Spaceship Earth and then hoped on the monorail to MK. I rode Thunder several times (with fast pass) and had the seat to myself which was just fun to sit right in the middle. I went to the attractions that I wanted to go on as many times as I wanted without having to worry about potty breaks, food breaks, children meltdowns, adult meltdowns and negotiating to trying to get someone onto a certain ride. Plus, I skipped the ones that I am not fanatical about but, would normally ride when in a group.

I loved it! Now, I headed back 2 weeks later with my BFF and her kids and we had an awesome time but, solo trip was best. .

As for eating out... I normally don't care about sitting at a restaurant solo and find that CMs treat you even better because you are solo. They are more attentive.

Jackie
Old 06-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #34
Jennafoo
Mouseketeer

I'm new here (hi), and I've just booked my first ever trip: not just solo, but to WDW at all.

Trip basics: First week of Sept (arriving on Labor Day Monday), Boardwalk Inn club level (for the location and the discount), and reservations at Le Cellier, Hollywood Brown Derby, Via Napoli, Les Chefs de France and tea at the GF. Since I'm so close to Epcot and HS, I'll have a park hopper.

I'm a single, and I don't mind traveling alone. I prefer it, for the same reasons as a lot of people: flexibility, being able to do/eat what I want, when I want, etc.

Only negative I've seen so far is that some of the restaurants - Le Cellier in particular - won't allow online ADRs for one person. Several times, entering '1 guest' showed no times; changing to 2 guests allowed me to book. Since you'd seat those parties at similar tables, it feels very like not being wanted.

I booked anyway. If they want to not seat me, that's fine, but then they need to post that as a policy...
Jennafoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:53 PM   #35
newcomer52
we're not weird, just practical!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennafoo View Post
Only negative I've seen so far is that some of the restaurants - Le Cellier in particular - won't allow online ADRs for one person. Several times, entering '1 guest' showed no times; changing to 2 guests allowed me to book. Since you'd seat those parties at similar tables, it feels very like not being wanted.

I booked anyway. If they want to not seat me, that's fine, but then they need to post that as a policy...
As it gets closer, be sure to call and amend the reservation to one person. The places that you have to leave a credit card will charge you $10 for people that don't show up. I did this for Le Cellier and Citricos in May.

Jeralyn
Old 06-24-2012, 08:58 PM   #36
Jennafoo
Mouseketeer

Thanks so much, Jeralyn. That's good advice. Le Cellier was the only reservation like that, but I'd rather not be charged extra just because I'm alone...
Jennafoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:52 PM   #37
SnowWhite35
Earning My Ears

I am new here...HI there!

I have done solo trips to both WDW and DL. At first, its a little weird but overall, it is very relaxing and you get to do what you want, ride as many things as you want, as many times as you want!

I am divorced and friends are not into Disney so why not? I did feel weird eating by myself but hooray for the IPOD.

Life is too short...have fun!
SnowWhite35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:43 AM   #38
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
I'm new here (hi), and I've just booked my first ever trip: not just solo, but to WDW at all.

Trip basics: First week of Sept (arriving on Labor Day Monday), Boardwalk Inn club level (for the location and the discount), and reservations at Le Cellier, Hollywood Brown Derby, Via Napoli, Les Chefs de France and tea at the GF. Since I'm so close to Epcot and HS, I'll have a park hopper.

I'm a single, and I don't mind traveling alone. I prefer it, for the same reasons as a lot of people: flexibility, being able to do/eat what I want, when I want, etc.

Honestly, it seems like the issue has more to do with the limitations of their reservation system than not wanting singles. There (at least at one time) were multiple reports of the same issue when trying to book a party of 2, but a party of 3 would work fine. Or sometimes even issues booking 3, but 4 would have plenty of openings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomer52 View Post
As it gets closer, be sure to call and amend the reservation to one person. The places that you have to leave a credit card will charge you $10 for people that don't show up. I did this for Le Cellier and Citricos in May.

Jeralyn
Quote:
Thanks so much, Jeralyn. That's good advice. Le Cellier was the only reservation like that, but I'd rather not be charged extra just because I'm alone...
I know one of the tricks that used to be used by a lot of people (Especcially for events like the Wishes Dessert Party which require a pre-pay), is to use the "phantom infant" who is free but would allow you to bump up your party size in order to find the availability. Anybody know if the new credit card hold policy also impacts toddlers or infants on the reservation?
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:13 PM   #39
Goofy'sPal
Mouseketeer

2008 Solo Trip

I went on my first ever solo trip anywhere in 2008 and decided to go to Disney World. It turned out to the greatest vacation I ever took. I planed everything and did everything in Disney on my time. Let me know if u want any tips
Goofy'sPal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:22 AM   #40
DakotaRose
Mouseketeer

For the last decade DH and sons have happily taken off to go snowmobiling, 4-wheeling, or to Nascar races, and I've stayed home. Those things just don't interest me. Now it's my turn to get away for a few days

My first trip to the World is scheduled for mid-Sept and I'm going solo. I'm really, really looking forward to it! -- the food, the sights, the entertainment. There'll be no waiting around while the rest of the family goes on rides that make me turn green, no cooking or cleaning, no whining teenagers (did I say that out loud?!?). Love 'em to death, but I'm flying the coop for a week in September!!!
Old 06-29-2012, 11:52 PM   #41
tabbytrekker
Mouseketeer

I definitely wouldn't say I'm an expert on solo traveling - but I do certainly enjoy it!

I've always loved traveling. My parents instilled that into me since I was a baby. My mother still mocks me about how its amazed I'm allowed on planes after my first trip to Disney World when I was thirteen months old. Most of the time though my parents drove and pulled the camper along on any trip. And it was just me in the back seat of the extended van. (I'm an only child)

In more recent years I met a guy, fell in love, and unfortunately he was in the Army - and had the worst luck in getting assigned to posts (twice in Alaska). So not only did I have to travel a lot to go see him, but him and I liked to travel the country together. It didn't work out for us, but I refused to let that stop me from traveling.

So last year, I just went for it... and I'm hooked. )

Obviously since I am an only child I'm use to being alone. And I'm a recluse so I'm also use to being alone because of that. lol

It is just an amazing freedom. And its so much easier to adapt to change in schedules as well.

My only worry is that I'm going to get so use to it - and like it - that when I do find people to travel with I won't act like such a spoiled brat!
tabbytrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:52 AM   #42
NJDiva
NJDiva Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbytrekker View Post
I definitely wouldn't say I'm an expert on solo traveling - but I do certainly enjoy it!

I've always loved traveling. My parents instilled that into me since I was a baby. My mother still mocks me about how its amazed I'm allowed on planes after my first trip to Disney World when I was thirteen months old. Most of the time though my parents drove and pulled the camper along on any trip. And it was just me in the back seat of the extended van. (I'm an only child)

In more recent years I met a guy, fell in love, and unfortunately he was in the Army - and had the worst luck in getting assigned to posts (twice in Alaska). So not only did I have to travel a lot to go see him, but him and I liked to travel the country together. It didn't work out for us, but I refused to let that stop me from traveling.

So last year, I just went for it... and I'm hooked. )

Obviously since I am an only child I'm use to being alone. And I'm a recluse so I'm also use to being alone because of that. lol

It is just an amazing freedom. And its so much easier to adapt to change in schedules as well.

My only worry is that I'm going to get so use to it - and like it - that when I do find people to travel with I won't act like such a spoiled brat!
being an only child as well, I can appreciate your concern for traveling with others...some people will thing you are a little snobbish for not wanting to be social and stay with others, or you will find the ones that get that you like your space and be sort of envious. I can honestly say I am an expert solo traveller, I travel a lot for work and I'm always alone then, and most of my Disney vacation are solo, I do, however, make time to meet up with people and spend the day or evening with friends. when you do travel with others, you'll be able to adjust, it's not forever and if you are with another person who does the solo thing, you don't have to see them outside of the room if you choose.
you won't be a spoiled brat...unless you are in real life...your goal is to have fun so being bratty does help you reach your goal...

NJDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:27 AM   #43
imsoscared
Mouseketeer

very simple reason. do what i want, when i want and how i want to. sometimes you just need to get away just do everything your way and not worry about how it'll affect others with you
imsoscared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #44
robert72
Earning My Ears

I now go solo becaused i am now widowed and find the friendly atmosphere and so much to do suits me fine
Old 07-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #45
1nfrequent
Mouseketeer

I go solo because my friends can't get the time off and my family aren't interested in going back to Disney. I like the fact that it's a known environment with loads of things to do and as a single female, it's completely safe. I did my first solo trip to WDW 2 years ago and loved it. Am off to DL next month and back to WDW in 2013.

1F
1nfrequent is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: