Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2012, 01:46 AM   #16
ludari
DIS Veteran
 
ludari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,506

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsurandrea View Post
My first Solo trip is going to be this weekend at Disneyland and Disneys California Adventure Park.. I am really really looking forward to it because the last three or four times I have gone its been with people who have never been before and they all had me choose what to do and it gets really exhausting when trying to plan 9 peoples lives... What are people suggestions to do while I'm at the park alone?
I'll be at Disney California Adventure Park on Saturday for the sneak preview of Cars Land. I'm not sure of what type of rides you like and if you have a time limit but at DL I would recommend Star Tours, Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, Indiana Jones, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, (Matterhorn is closed until June 15 or else I would recommend that ride as well), It's a Small World, Big Thunder Mountain, and Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage. At DCA I would recommend Soarin', California Screamin' Grizzly River Run, The Little Mermaid, Monsters, Inc., Toy Story Mania, and Tower of Terror.

Have a great trip.
__________________
Annual Pass Holder. DVC Member - March 2011
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014; Pixie Dust Challenge & 5K-May 2015
ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:37 AM   #17
stemikger
DIS Veteran
 
stemikger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,306

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomer52 View Post
I go solo because I am solo. Divorced and kids are grown with their own families. I love being at WDW and would not have all these trips if I didn't want to go solo. There is nothing more relaxing that doing whatever you want to do, eating when and where you want. going full out or just sitting around. It is fabulous. I enjoy being with the family sometimes also, but they can not go nearly as much as I can. You have to be a person that is comfort with yourself.

Jeralyn
Wow Jeralyn, I can learn a lot from you. I just couldn't do it alone, but who knows, I'll never say never.
stemikger is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-08-2012, 02:40 PM   #18
Mokat76
DisKat
 
Mokat76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,122

Like many other experienced solo-ers, I do it because I can and because I am absolutely the master of my fate when I do. Last time, I splurged on fancy dinners at restaurants my less adventurous/cheaper friends wouldn't be comfortable in. If I want to see Beauty and the Beast three times or ride Dumbo twice in a row, I can because it's all about my vacation. I can interact or not depending on how I feel. If I get teary-eyed at something, I don't have to pretend I'm not.

Don't get me wrong, I love introducing Disney virgins to the magic, but I cherish my solo trips. Selfish? Yep. Guilty about it? Nope.
Mokat76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:38 AM   #19
stemikger
DIS Veteran
 
stemikger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,306

I find this extremely interesting. I can do a lot of things alone, I go to the movies alone quite often and some of my friends often tell me they could never do that. I think the movies is one of the things that is easy to do alone.

I also often go to New York City alone and walk the streets and go to the parks. I find that very easy to do alone and a lot of fun.

However, for some reason, I don't think I could ever do Disney alone. Can someone help understand this. I wish I could explain it, but I can't. I just can't see myself getting on an attraction by myself or going to one of the shows. I can see myself walking the parks and eating counter service, but not much more.

I would just feel so out-of-place not being with someone.
stemikger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #20
NJDiva
NJDiva Boo Boo
 
NJDiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Central Jersey
Posts: 1,203

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemikger View Post
I find this extremely interesting. I can do a lot of things alone, I go to the movies alone quite often and some of my friends often tell me they could never do that. I think the movies is one of the things that is easy to do alone.

I also often go to New York City alone and walk the streets and go to the parks. I find that very easy to do alone and a lot of fun.

However, for some reason, I don't think I could ever do Disney alone. Can someone help understand this. I wish I could explain it, but I can't. I just can't see myself getting on an attraction by myself or going to one of the shows. I can see myself walking the parks and eating counter service, but not much more.

I would just feel so out-of-place not being with someone.
For someone who walks around NYC alone I find it very interesting that you don't see yourself doing Disney solo. For all the reasons mentioned the biggest one is no one really knows why you're solo. You could have been separated from your group, you wanted to try something that the others didn't or YOU JUST WANTED TO GO ALONE. I bet if you did one day solo in the parks you would want to do it again...
__________________
I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way...




Last edited by NJDiva; 06-11-2012 at 04:21 PM.
NJDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #21
fedexflyboy
Earning My Ears
 
fedexflyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 12

Solo can at times be the only way to go if you like being on your won schedule and go from one end of the place to the other and just do your own thing.
fedexflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:05 PM   #22
stemikger
DIS Veteran
 
stemikger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,306

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDiva View Post
For someone who walks around NYC alone I find it very interesting that you don't see yourself I. Disney solo. For all the reasons mentioned the biggest one is no one really knows why you're solo. You could have been separated from your group, you sanded to try something that the others didn't or YOU JUST WANTED TO GO ALONE. I bet if you did one day solo in the parks you would want to do it again...
I know, in fact because we are a family of three and my wife and daughter don't like some of the faster rides, I go on alone anyway, but the thought of getting off a ride and not having any one to talk to about it would make me feel sad and out of sorts.

NYC is one of the places where I never feel alone. Not sure why, but I actually pefer it becasue I go on all day walking marathons and no one I know likes to walk that much. LOL.

Thanks for sharing your point of view with me.
stemikger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:14 PM   #23
stasijane
Crazed one
 
stasijane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: 1132 miles from the World
Posts: 1,443

No one that I know loves Disney like I do so I love planning my own trips because I can. No one to answer to while I am there. I get to go where I want and do what I want. I love taking my DD just as much and she loves it just as much, but solo I have more money for ME!!! I know that is stingy, but sometimes in life its ok to make thinks about only you.
__________________
stasijane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #24
NJDiva
NJDiva Boo Boo
 
NJDiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Central Jersey
Posts: 1,203

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemikger View Post
I know, in fact because we are a family of three and my wife and daughter don't like some of the faster rides, I go on alone anyway, but the thought of getting off a ride and not having any one to talk to about it would make me feel sad and out of sorts.

NYC is one of the places where I never feel alone. Not sure why, but I actually pefer it becasue I go on all day walking marathons and no one I know likes to walk that much. LOL.

Thanks for sharing your point of view with me.
Any time!!
you can never really feel alone in NYC; living in Jersey and being a person who has spent a good deal of time in the city, I can appreciate your enjoyment of being there. I know the first time I really did the parks alone the only weird part for me was when people asked how many in my party and I would say "one" and I would get that odd look from them as if to say "aw, I'm sorry you have no friends to go with." when in reality I have about a dozen people that would love to be with me in the parks but I CHOSE to go solo. don't be sad when you get off of a ride, just get back in line and do it all over again!
__________________
I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way...



NJDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:07 PM   #25
Tink127
Mouseketeer
 
Tink127's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 147

After 15 plus trips to WDW with the family, my family dare I say is over it. I go solo now and it is a completely different experience. Besides getting to do what you want to do, it gives me time to soak in all the little details that I missed when going with the family where the goal was to get on an attraction.

Definitely a different experience!
__________________
Tink127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:49 PM   #26
Liliesinthevalley
Earning My Ears
 
Liliesinthevalley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 35

I have enjoyed going solo to WDW. If no one else is available to go when I am able, then I just make plans and go it alone.

While I enjoy going solo - I am independent and don't mind doing things on my own - I tend to have more fun when 1 or more people are with me.

That being said, when I have gone solo it's been 100% drama free. I can do what I want, when I want and how I want it. It's less stressful.

The only thing I really don't like doing by myself is eating out, so that was a tough thing for me to get over in WDW. I found myself doing CS and walking around eating rather than sitting and enjoying myself.
__________________


Me Lexi (RIP): Gracie:

Liliesinthevalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:28 PM   #27
mtfarlin
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 125

I LOVE going to WDW solo!!!! Just to be able to take my time, pick the resturants and times to eat and just to "people" watch are big positives in my book!!! Like a previous post mentioned, it is so less stressful and it does make it seem like a vacation. Eating solo is always enjoyable as I people watch while I eat and at times I thank my lucky stars I am eating alone and in peace. also, there are many times being a solo traveler I can get on rides quicker as there have been times only 1 rider is needed on a ride and the CM will let you "come to the front of the line" to get on a ride....I know there have been times I have been upgraded on my room as I was a single traveler..always a nice perk CM are always more eager and open to speaking with you and striking up a conversation if they know you are traveling by yourself. I really enjoy doing WDW solo
mtfarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #28
goofyernmost
DIS Veteran
 
goofyernmost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 6,196

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomer52 View Post
I go solo because I am solo. Divorced and kids are grown with their own families. I love being at WDW and would not have all these trips if I didn't want to go solo. There is nothing more relaxing that doing whatever you want to do, eating when and where you want. going full out or just sitting around. It is fabulous. I enjoy being with the family sometimes also, but they can not go nearly as much as I can. You have to be a person that is comfort with yourself.

Jeralyn
That would be me as well, in fact, almost exactly. There are times that I kind of wish I was sharing some of it with someone that enjoyed it as much as I do...but at my age that isn't likely to happen. My days of being Gods gift to Women have passed into more of a garbage bag of aging.
__________________
Older mans body, young childs spirit!!

Nothing adult has ever happened to me at Disney!
goofyernmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:14 PM   #29
Suelala
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 345

I, too, am older and single, and I am working on getting the courage to go solo on a trip to WDW. I had one booked for this November, but ended up inviting my (grown) daughter to go with me...of course, this means doubling my cost. I have taken the grandkids, and wasnt able to take my daughter when she was young, so I am glad I get to do this. However, the very next trip will be just me. I enjoy reading about other people going solo, and sounds like everyone enjoys their trip, so what the heck, I'll do it. Beats not getting to go at all! WDW is my happy place.
Suelala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:58 AM   #30
dreamscometrue101
Mouseketeer
 
dreamscometrue101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 323

I've never done a solo trip to WDW but I plan to do 2 next year. I do solo trips for business all the time so I'm looking forward to having that freedom at my favorite place.

I have no problem eating alone, but I'm a little concerned about the character meals.

I absolutely adore the interaction with the characters and would like to dine at a few of my must-dos but I'm not sure how that would be dealt with at the restaurant. If I went to Ohana, 1900 Park Fare and Crystal Palace by myself would the "handler" be willing to take pics for me?
__________________
First Solo Trip, with a friends wedding thrown in the middle! Bring on Disney!

dreamscometrue101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.