Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #136
PeterPanic
DIS Veteran

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by amfie928 View Post
My family are the poster children for travellers aid...we get sick, have accidents, get 2nd degree sunburn, bitten by bugs we are allergic to, have luggage lost, medical emergencies on flights (thankfully not us), and have mechanical issues with our planes. Now I wonder why I travel at all after listing that! Benedryl is right next to the bandaids and advil! Never leave home without it!
But if you do forget it, Florida is a relatively modern area. You can buy it there.
PeterPanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:06 PM   #137
Sweettears
50 years of Disney and counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPanic View Post
But if you do forget it, Florida is a relatively modern area. You can buy it there.
Relatively? I guess shuffleboard is still considered a sport in Florida.
Sweettears is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2013, 07:21 PM   #138
tabbytrekker
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amfie928

My family are the poster children for travellers aid...we get sick, have accidents, get 2nd degree sunburn, bitten by bugs we are allergic to, have luggage lost, medical emergencies on flights (thankfully not us), and have mechanical issues with our planes. Now I wonder why I travel at all after listing that! Benedryl is right next to the bandaids and advil! Never leave home without it!
On a solo trip to Colorado I learned the hard way that I am now allergic to Aleve, andI had no Benadryl. lol so looking like Quasimodo, I had to go down to the hotel gifts hop store to buy those little packets of Benadryl since I didn't have any with me. I now never go on vacation without it! )
tabbytrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:43 PM   #139
MichelleWDWfan
Mouseketeer

I enjoy going solo to WDW. I have made 2 trips there solo & 4 trips with DS.
I'm single and DS 17 doesn't like to miss alot of school.

My 3rd Solo trip is coming up fast!

Going solo is nice! I plan my daily schedule & make all ADR's before I go.

When I get to WDW all I have to do is enjoy! When I get there I already know which park I am going to each day & where I will be eating...all the rest is up to me! I can come and go as I please...ride what I want, get as many Photopass pics as I want, see as many characters as I want, stay as late as I want...usually that means closing the parks down LOL

It is fun going solo, though it would be nice to make some new friends while there on a solo trip.

Me DS 19

March 2009 - AS Movies, March 2010 = POP, August 2010 - POP, March 2011 - POP,
Dec 2011 - POP (MVMCP), July 2012 - POR, March 2013 - POP, Sept 2013 - POP (MNSSHP),
March 2014 - POP, May 2014 Rock Your Disney Side! 24 hr event - POP
Oct. 2014 Split stays at AKL, AOA, & ASM
MichelleWDWfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:45 PM   #140
figmentdreamer
Earning My Ears

Because i can. While i do enjoy it more when i'm with my family, i do love being there alone to. took my first solo trip in 2009 and LOVED it. going tomorrow and cant wait to do and see everything at my own pace, which is actually quite fast lol. Mom will join me Sunday, looking forward to that as well.
figmentdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:06 AM   #141
Darthbane2007
Earning My Ears

Well, even though i've not had the chance to do a solo trip to WDW yet, the main reason I want to go is to the freedom of being able to choose where I want to go in the parks...
Darthbane2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #142
tstidm1
DIS Veteran

The ability to choose my own pace at the parks. I am a fairly early to park, early to bed type of person, so I kind of go Commando style while not doing EMH's. This helps me have more fun with less crowds. It also makes getting food at sit down restaurants easier because if there is a bar, there is usually a seat.
June 2011 Off Site
July 2012 Pop Century
March 2013 All Star Sports
July 2014 Dis Exclusive ABD Backstage Magic

Maybe March 2015 trip to Universal Orlando (Going to the Dark Side maybe).
tstidm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #143
Kensch1980
Earning My Ears

Before reading this thread I have to say I was a little hesitant about going. I wasn't sure if you look like a creepy weird guy for going by yourself or what have you, but by reading this thread it is very common and an enjoyable experience. I am curious though, is there certain hotels or restaurants more solo travelers frequent. It would be great to meet up with other solo travelers to discuss the days trip and what each did.
Kensch1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #144
Sweettears
50 years of Disney and counting

I don't know if you can generalize in that way. However from my experiences the YC and GF tend to attract a more adult crowd.
Sweettears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:55 PM   #145
NJDiva
NJDiva Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensch1980 View Post
Before reading this thread I have to say I was a little hesitant about going. I wasn't sure if you look like a creepy weird guy for going by yourself or what have you, but by reading this thread it is very common and an enjoyable experience. I am curious though, is there certain hotels or restaurants more solo travelers frequent. It would be great to meet up with other solo travelers to discuss the days trip and what each did.
actually there's a thread on here just for that. people meet up all the time to catch a show or share a meal together. as for where solo people stay... it really depends on what you like in a resort. some are DVC owners, others just stick to one resort because it makes them happy, others like to try new things so they stay all over.

NJDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #146
PeterPanic
DIS Veteran

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensch1980 View Post
Before reading this thread I have to say I was a little hesitant about going. I wasn't sure if you look like a creepy weird guy for going by yourself or what have you, but by reading this thread it is very common and an enjoyable experience.
An important thing to remember is that you don't wear a sign that says, "Hey, look at me, I'm here by myself". Very, very few notice or even care a little bit. Many times one person will take a ride while there companion sits it out. Unless, you say something no one knows. And it sure does come in handy in the couple of single rider lines that you might find.

On occasion I've had people ask me, but only if they saw me sitting by myself on a bench and it was more of an ice breaker type of question then real curiosity. When asked I tell them I am solo. Usually they ask what I do here alone and I just respond with...the exact same thing you do. I love the place. Usually ends the discussion right there.
PeterPanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #147
Sir William
DIS Veteran

About a week ago I found out I'd be going to a conference at the Dolphin in June. I decided to take advantage of the opportunity and go down a few days early to enjoy the parks before the conference. Realizing I was going to be solo at WDW, I quickly checked out this forum for useful tips.

I've traveled solo on business quite a bit over the last 30 years (Hawaii, Scotland, Tampa, Germany, England, etc), and even before that, so I've no problem going to WDW by myself. In fact am looking forward to it as I'll be able to do whatever I want without having to have a family consensus. I enjoy traveling by myself and the freedom that comes with it. I always take a book along to enjoy during meals (or even while waiting), though I also like to people-watch occasionally.
DL 1956; DL 1961; DL 1963; DL 1972; WDW 1979; DL 1983; WDW 1994; WDW Mar 1996; WDW (SOG) Aug 2000; WDW (SOG) Jan 2001; WDW (SOG) Jan 2005; Disney Magic, Western Caribbean, Jan 2011; WDW July 2011 (off-site); DVC (SSR) July 2010; Disney Magic, Bahamas, May 2012; WDW (SSR) May 2012; DVC (Aulani) May 2012; Aulani Apr 2013; DVC (SSR & BWV) June 2013; WDW (VWL) Mar 2014; Disney Dream, Bahamas, Mar 2014; Disney Magic, Mediterranean, May-Jun 2014
Sir William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:23 PM   #148
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

The ability to be free. Free to do whatever you want when ever you want. To enjoy some peace and quiet. To have your own schedule or no schedule at all.

To enjoy things that others in your party may not find enjoyable.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #149
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

I haven't read this whole thread yet, but I'm planning to in a few.

I'm a 49 year old woman who has never done anything alone in my entire life. I barely even got to go to the bathroom by myself.

I was married with children as a teenager and the grandchildren started coming before my youngest child was grown. I have been babysitting two of my grandsons full time for about four years. The youngest is just three months old. I also work around the kids as a transcriptionist. With that I can make my own hours.

Anyway, as soon as I found that I had a week off later this month while the other set of grandparents is in town, I booked at WDW. Originally, I thought DH would come with me, but he is not as into it as me. He doesn't want to go twice in a month. I don't count the first time since it was just a three day weekend.

This will be my first solo adventure. I am both nervous and super excited! I'm looking forward to going where I want, when I want, and at my own pace. I plan to play both SOMK and Agent P. DH doesn't ever want to do either.

I can't wait to get there!!
FortForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #150
Mai Ku Tiki

DIS Veteran

Smile I love it!

After years of of annual visits as a family, I LOVE a few days to stop & smell the roses...at my own pace and without fretting that everyone else is having as good a time as me.

For the past few yrs, now that the nest is empty....we've worked out a great plan that works for us. With our DVC, we can squeeze 2 visits most years. I go down first...spend a few days in a studio doing all the things I love. Then DH joins me & we switch to a 1-BR for a few days to enjoy the kitchen & the space. And we focus on pool time & romantic dinners. A win/win for both of us!

"If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; there is where they should be. Now put foundations under them."
Mai Ku Tiki is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: