Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #16
srferson
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri View Post
Sorry to say, but there are no microwaves anywhere on the ships (not even in the kitchens.)
Not that this will help the OP, but from what I have read, at least one of the most expensive suites has a microwave. So I wouldn't say there are NO microwaves. I have no idea about the ship's kitchens.

If I were you, OP, I'd be calling DCL with these questions. I mean, I love DisBoards, and people here give wonderful advice. But this is such a specific and delicate situation, I'd ask DCL directly. I'm not suggesting they're going to allow you to bring a cooking device or pre-cooked food on. And they do post somewhere that the kitchen cannot prepare food you provide. But for all you know, they could offer to bring Kraft mac and cheese specifically for your daughter. You never know with Disney.

(And btw, I'm pretty sure I remember small boxes of dry cereal at Cabana's during breakfast time.)

srferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:46 PM   #17
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by srferson View Post
(And btw, I'm pretty sure I remember small boxes of dry cereal at Cabana's during breakfast time.)
They serve Kellogg's cereal on board. The OP is looking for General Mills cereal.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-01-2012, 01:48 PM   #18
Zandy595
DIS Veteran
The other day I found a big honkin' frog in my toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Abby View Post
No worries, I won't be breaking any of DCL's "rules". I don't want/need the added stress of worrying about getting "caught" while on vacation

So maybe I should ask a follow up question. DD may or may not eat chicken nuggets. Does anyone know if the ones on board are chicken strips or chicken nuggets? It makes a difference, I promise

Outside of mac & cheese and chicken nuggets, she pretty much eats dry cereal (Cheerios or Kix), cheese, strawberry yogurt (no actual pieces of strawberry in it) or goldfish crackers. Will I have access to these kinds of foods while on the ship, or should I plan to bring my own?

Thanks!
I'm still looking for the nugget picture...

Cheese at the breakfast buffet.

pictures by Timon
Yogurt They have some it a sealed container too, but I don't know what flavor.

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic 2004, 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014 DCL Fantasy 2015
Zandy595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #19
Pwac
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Abby View Post

We're going to be on vacation and I learned a long time ago to pick my food battles with her very carefully...
Good for you! Have a great cruise.
Pwac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #20
srferson
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill View Post
They serve Kellogg's cereal on board. The OP is looking for General Mills cereal.
Oop. My apologies. I never looked that closely.

srferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #21
ItAllStrtdWAMouse
Fan for Life

Not sure if this will help, but Walt Disney world has a special diets email: specialdiets@disneyworld.com They can answer most questions about food needs. They helped us plan where to eat during the park portion of our trip. They may be able to help you connect with someone at DCL. Good Luck!
Old 06-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #22
lisateacher
lisateacher

I would call and explain your situation. Maybe if you bring the mac and cheese that she eats the kitchen would be willing to prepare it for her. Disney is really good when it comes to special needs. Just an idea.
lisateacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:19 PM   #23
mama2ellie
Mouseketeer

I didn't know about the food rules when we cruised. I had a toaster, homemade bread, and other homemade food--all in my carry-on--due to my daughter's severe diet restrictions. I had no issues boarding, and disclosed it all to the security people. I had talked to DCL ahead of time, and was advised to bring it.
mama2ellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #24
savannahcat
DIS Veteran

Not sure how much time you have until your cruise, but Market Day sells "Easy Serve Kraft Mac & Cheese". I haven't seen it anywhere else.

This is Kraft Mac & Cheese pre-cooked and packaged in individual pouches. We received a free sample with our last Market Day order and the quality is the same as if you made it at home from the box.

1985/1990 - Offsite * 9/1996 - All Star Sports * 11/2004 - Embassy Suites * 2/2005 - Embassy Suites * 4/2005 - Embassy Suites * 5/2005 - Embassy Suites * 10/2005 - Embassy Suites * 12/2006 - Windsor Hills * 5/2007 - Windsor Hills *10/2007 - Windsor Hills * 11/2008 - Windsor Hills * 1/2009 - Windsor Hills * 7/2009 - Swan * 10/2009 - Emerald Island * 6/2010 - AKV * 1/2011 - Barefoot'n in the Keys Resort * 6/2011 - AKV/Indian Creek * 6/2012 - Disney Dream * 6/2012 - BWV * 1/2013 Regal Oaks * 6/2013 BWV/SSR * 11/2013 BWV * 6/2014 BCV/RPR/AKV
savannahcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:11 PM   #25
novascotiagal
Earning My Ears

Hi,

I have some understanding of food battles, my daughter has severe gastro esophageal reflux disease and we spent one summer at an eating clinic. DCL is willing to work within their regulations to help, or at least have been so far, we sail Mar 2013. They had me complete a special form and have ensured the information is on file. This may help if you haven't done this yet.

Best of luck.
novascotiagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:01 PM   #26
BobandLee
Proud Parrothead with Mouse Ears

Don't they have a package of goldfish in the Castaway Club bags?
If so, I am sure they would have extras that might be available.

xxx
x
The color of the ships at the water line is DARK BLUE. Always has been. Always will be.
BobandLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:10 PM   #27
Zandy595
DIS Veteran
The other day I found a big honkin' frog in my toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobandLee View Post
Don't they have a package of goldfish in the Castaway Club bags?
If so, I am sure they would have extras that might be available.
Kind of... They're Mickey shaped cheese crackers (3oz). They have them for sale in the shops, so OP would have to buy them there. Regular Goldfish crackers would be a lot cheaper to buy at home and pack.

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic 2004, 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014 DCL Fantasy 2015

Last edited by Zandy595; 06-01-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Zandy595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #28
extechie rbd/wdt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisateacher View Post
I would call and explain your situation. Maybe if you bring the mac and cheese that she eats the kitchen would be willing to prepare it for her. Disney is really good when it comes to special needs. Just an idea.
As Zandy595 quoted:
Quote:
Items must be pre-packaged, unopened and cannot require any food prep from the kitchen. Coolers filled with personal items (e.g. soda, chips, candy, etc.) may not be brought on board. Homemade items or pre-cooked items purchased on the way to the ship will not be allowed to be brought aboard. Also, open bags or containers of snack items should not be brought aboard. All items will need to be stored in the stateroom; the ship's storage and/or refrigeration are not available to use.
unfortunately.

I'm sure she will not starve and maybe being on the ship and a different environment will take her mind off the food.

Ex Techie
extechie rbd/wdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #29
Vanvmom
Where was I going?

My daughters have the same sensory issues - one won't even eat chicken nuggets. We've done feeding therapy, OT, you name it for the past 2 years. We got lucky and both girls ate the Mac & Cheese - EVERY night!

My DCL Cruise Website
6/2012 DCL DREAM!
4/2011 DCL Wonder Repo to Canada
7/2009 DCL Magic - Eastern
DL - like a 2nd home
11/2006 WDW & DCL Magic - Western
7/2005 DCL Magic - Mexican Riviera
Vanvmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #30
extechie rbd/wdt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanvmom View Post
My daughters have the same sensory issues - one won't even eat chicken nuggets. We've done feeding therapy, OT, you name it for the past 2 years. We got lucky and both girls ate the Mac & Cheese - EVERY night!
Hi Wendy,

I was wondering if you could educate me about the food sensory issues your child and Mommy2Abby's child has.
I've googled a little bit and read a couple of forums, but they mainly discuss what they will eat and wont. Mac and cheese seem's to be a favorite and chicken nuggets as well.
What is it about the food that is disliked? Is it texture, flavor, visual appearance?
I appreciate that children that have Autism are more prone to a very strong dislike of change of routine, scenery, atmospheres, clothing, etc, and some express it very emotionally, but if foods they like are not available, how do you deal with it?
As in on a cruise, say you could take the prepackaged mac and cheese and the fridge broke and the food was unusable. What do you do as in will they try other foods when they get hungry enough, or just plain refuse to eat period?
Is it that specific that they would only say eat Cheerios or Kix 3 times a day if that was all that was available?

Please do not take this post as trying to provoke an argument or discussion, I'm genuinely interested as to how other vacations such as out of state, country, long haul flights and cruises work.

Kudos to the parents of kids that have this condition.

Ex Techie
extechie rbd/wdt is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: