Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2012, 07:57 PM   #16
MinnieGi
DVC/BWV & HHI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyplanner View Post
Thanks for you feedback, our kids will be 2 and 6 if we get in and go next year. Do you drive from DE? We would be driving from PA. If you do drive do you have any tips to share on traveling that long with little ones. We did book at BLT for the 11 month window for May 2013 but we are really hoping to get in at HHI at the 7month window for May or June or even July. What time of year do you typically go to HHI?
We go to HHI in June. However we own additional points at HHI just so we can get summer time home advantage. I don't think you will have too much trouble though with May. It's really the summer months that are hard to get into, however do still call right at the 7 month window!!

Yes, we always drive to HHI. It takes about 12 hours. We do it all in one day. The kids watch movies to help pass the time. And now that they are older they have their IPods, DS's, etc... to pass the time. However when they were younger, movies worked best.

Although 12 hours may seem like alot to cover in a day with little ones, to us this works better than doing half a drive one day and half the next. Our kids and us rather get it all done in one shot because then its more time on the beach!!!

We also do the 12 hours and then stay at a Hampton Inn for our first night on the island which is usually a Sat. Then Sunday morning we check in first thing to Disney's resort and although our room is not ready we are able to gain access to the beach house and spend the morning/early afternoon on the beach and in the beach house pool. Our room is usually ready by afternoon so then we can unpack and get our grocery shopping done but we feel so good b/c we've been on the beach all day!!

Good luck on getting in!!
8 Trips while growing up,11/94 Dixie Landings (honeymoon); 11/01 WL; 10/02 OKW; 2/03 AKL; 2/04 BWV/OKW; 2/05 AKL/BWV; 10/05 JW Marriott;1/06 WLV; 7/06 BWV; 2/07 - FW Cabins;08/07 HHI; 11/07 BWV/SSR, 06/08 - HHI, 11/08 - BWV, 06/09 - HHI, 06/10 - HHI; 12/10 Christmas at BLT; 06/11 Disney with the dance girls and DD dancing up Main St. in MK parade!!! 11/11 Thanksgiving in WDW!! 6/12 in HHI! Christmas in Disney 2013!; HHI - April 2014; and Coming UP: Thanksgiving Week 2014!
MinnieGi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:03 PM   #17
Tinks "SS"
DIS Veteran

we got in right at 7 months. i called as soon as they opened up that day. but i also tried to go early in june for best shot to get in. My husband has decided that we need more points just for HHI. i still plan on getting some pics in soon but work and tubing on the weekends have gotten in the way. Good luck!

me (Leigh Anne), DH (Bart), DS 12, DS10
Tinks "SS" is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-22-2012, 09:39 AM   #18
mickeyplanner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieGi View Post
We go to HHI in June. However we own additional points at HHI just so we can get summer time home advantage. I don't think you will have too much trouble though with May. It's really the summer months that are hard to get into, however do still call right at the 7 month window!!

Yes, we always drive to HHI. It takes about 12 hours. We do it all in one day. The kids watch movies to help pass the time. And now that they are older they have their IPods, DS's, etc... to pass the time. However when they were younger, movies worked best.

Although 12 hours may seem like alot to cover in a day with little ones, to us this works better than doing half a drive one day and half the next. Our kids and us rather get it all done in one shot because then its more time on the beach!!!

We also do the 12 hours and then stay at a Hampton Inn for our first night on the island which is usually a Sat. Then Sunday morning we check in first thing to Disney's resort and although our room is not ready we are able to gain access to the beach house and spend the morning/early afternoon on the beach and in the beach house pool. Our room is usually ready by afternoon so then we can unpack and get our grocery shopping done but we feel so good b/c we've been on the beach all day!!

Good luck on getting in!!
You are giving courage to try traveling with a 2 year old and 6 year old next year for 12 hours in the car. Do movies really hold their attention that long? How many stops do you make during the 12 hours?

mickeyplanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:40 AM   #19
mickeyplanner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinks "SS" View Post
we got in right at 7 months. i called as soon as they opened up that day. but i also tried to go early in june for best shot to get in. My husband has decided that we need more points just for HHI. i still plan on getting some pics in soon but work and tubing on the weekends have gotten in the way. Good luck!
When you talk about early in June are talking first week or even second week? I guess I will find out in the Fall when our seven month window will open up. We are looking at a 1 bedroom. Are they plentiful at HHI?

Old 06-22-2012, 09:50 AM   #20
MinnieGi
DVC/BWV & HHI

Quote:
You are giving courage to try traveling with a 2 year old and 6 year old next year for 12 hours in the car. Do movies really hold their attention that long? How many stops do you make during the 12 hours?
We stop as needed for food and restrooms stops and just to walk around which is especially important for little ones. Now I'm not saying its always smooth sailing, but its very doable. Movies and favorite tv shows are a big plus in making the time go by faster!! Your 6yo might also be into playing games on DS or IPod. Plus just good old fashioned car travel games such as "I spy" and "Twenty questions" help pass the time and kids love.
8 Trips while growing up,11/94 Dixie Landings (honeymoon); 11/01 WL; 10/02 OKW; 2/03 AKL; 2/04 BWV/OKW; 2/05 AKL/BWV; 10/05 JW Marriott;1/06 WLV; 7/06 BWV; 2/07 - FW Cabins;08/07 HHI; 11/07 BWV/SSR, 06/08 - HHI, 11/08 - BWV, 06/09 - HHI, 06/10 - HHI; 12/10 Christmas at BLT; 06/11 Disney with the dance girls and DD dancing up Main St. in MK parade!!! 11/11 Thanksgiving in WDW!! 6/12 in HHI! Christmas in Disney 2013!; HHI - April 2014; and Coming UP: Thanksgiving Week 2014!
Old 06-22-2012, 09:52 AM   #21
MinnieGi
DVC/BWV & HHI

Quote:
When you talk about early in June are talking first week or even second week? I guess I will find out in the Fall when our seven month window will open up. We are looking at a 1 bedroom. Are they plentiful at HHI?
There are more 2 bedrooms than any other category at HHI. However if you are booking in the may and early June they might not be too bad to get. It's after schools let out that HHI books up more.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:38 AM   #22
Tinks "SS"
DIS Veteran

we went the first week of june. my kids get out just before memorial day so it's easy for us to go then. We got a 1 bedroom this time. it's great there. We are lucky and only 4 1/2 hours away so it's an easy trip for us. Good Luck!

Old 06-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #23
mickeyplanner
DIS Veteran

Here's hoping we can get a one bedroom for 2013 in May or June. I am still unsure if our kids will be able to go 12 hours in the car. The 7 hours to get to my in-laws are too long for them. Any suggestions on over night stays on the way to HHI?

Tink SS do you own at HHI or just BLT like us?

Old 06-22-2012, 02:07 PM   #24
Tinks "SS"
DIS Veteran

We own only at BLT. I hope to change that in the near future hopefully!!

Old 06-23-2012, 08:15 PM   #25
dolfinjuls
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the trip report...and for everyone else for posting their feedback. We just booked a trip for November and can't wait! It'll be our first time visiting the island! I've been a little apprehensive about bringing two little ones, our girls will be 7 and 5, and were unsure there'd be enough to do. I feel much better after reading this!

As far as the car ride, we've done long drives a few times. Movies definitely help! I also put together a little bag for each kid. I buy a few new small toys and coloring books to keep them occupied during the drive. Also the games as others have said such as I Spy. We enjoy the drive!
1994: 1st Trip @ age 12 off-site, 2000: Senior Trip@ All-Star Sports, August 10-16th 2008 @ Pop! First trip with family!, July 20-30 2009 @ SSR! First trip as DVC members!, Nov 27-Dec 4 2010 @ Pop! 11/4-11/10/11 @ AKV/Pop!, Nov4-8th 2012 at DHHIR On deck: Oct 31-Nov 8 at Pop!
dolfinjuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:00 AM   #26
Tinks "SS"
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfinjuls View Post
Thanks for the trip report...and for everyone else for posting their feedback. We just booked a trip for November and can't wait! It'll be our first time visiting the island! I've been a little apprehensive about bringing two little ones, our girls will be 7 and 5, and were unsure there'd be enough to do. I feel much better after reading this!

As far as the car ride, we've done long drives a few times. Movies definitely help! I also put together a little bag for each kid. I buy a few new small toys and coloring books to keep them occupied during the drive. Also the games as others have said such as I Spy. We enjoy the drive!
OH, your kids will have plenty to do. My boys are getting a little old for the craft things but still had plenty to do. The CM's have some many things for the kids to do as well as kids night out, tours to watch beach life and sea shells, etc. So much for them. the best part is that the kids will stay busy but you won't be exhausted at the end of the day!

Old 06-25-2012, 08:58 AM   #27
mickeyplanner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We own only at BLT. I hope to change that in the near future hopefully!!
Are you thinking of buying into HHI? You must really like it. Sure hope we can get in next year to try it out. Maybe by then our kids will travel better in the car. I am more worried about our youngest being only 2.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:11 PM   #28
Tinks "SS"
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Are you thinking of buying into HHI? You must really like it. Sure hope we can get in next year to try it out. Maybe by then our kids will travel better in the car. I am more worried about our youngest being only 2.
Loved it! My DH really likes it better than WDW. We want to buy points there in a few years but we even discussed buying a condo there and rent it out if we can ever afford it so we can go when we want to. This is coming from my DH who i have to make him take a vacation.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:50 AM   #29
mickeyplanner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Loved it! My DH really likes it better than WDW. We want to buy points there in a few years but we even discussed buying a condo there and rent it out if we can ever afford it so we can go when we want to. This is coming from my DH who i have to make him take a vacation.
Sounds like your DH really likes HHI if he is looking into purchasing a condo. Is he the type that once he is on vacation, he really takes a vacation and that is why he enjoys HHI so much?

Old 07-24-2012, 09:29 PM   #30
quentina
The bridge has been built and crossed
Old cups are just that.......old cups

Quote:
Thanks for you feedback, our kids will be 2 and 6 if we get in and go next year. Do you drive from DE? We would be driving from PA. If you do drive do you have any tips to share on traveling that long with little ones. We did book at BLT for the 11 month window for May 2013 but we are really hoping to get in at HHI at the 7month window for May or June or even July. What time of year do you typically go to HHI?
What part of PA are you in? We drive down every year and a few years ago, someone finally shared the 81 route with me. MUCH better. A bit longer but, avoid 95 until SC. So, much better.
quentina is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: