Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #16
kayleigh83
Plotting my return...

Congratulations! This sounds awesome! Perfect birthday gift!
kayleigh83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #17
jessicaerv
Mouseketeer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananana View Post
I got a phone call from someone at the radio station saying that I need to come pick up a winner's sheet at the radio station; I'll also have to fill out a tax form. The winner's sheet will have all the information on it, with directions and I'll need it to get in the park on Thursday.
BUT, it's 3:30 now, and we're actually heading up for our first stay at the VGC, so I can't run down to the station right now.
So, it will have to until Monday! Stay tuned:happytv:
Okay, I've been patient ALL WEEKEND while you had your fun at VGC.

I need to know about the party, and I need to know NOW!! Get your tushie down to the radio station so you can report back!!!

Please.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #18
Shananana
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicaerv View Post
Okay, I've been patient ALL WEEKEND while you had your fun at VGC.

I need to know about the party, and I need to know NOW!! Get your tushie down to the radio station so you can report back!!!

Please.
Will do... please hold.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #19
DisneytheKid
A bad attempt at Billy the Kid

That is sooo cool! Have a great time!

Quote:
I am beyond excited; I can' even explain how happy I am. I just won tickets this morning through my local radio station. The best part is that my daughter has her last day of school on Tuesday, June 12, and I didn't know what to do with her on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Now I do!
We're going to see Cars Land!!!
Countless times during the 80's and 90's
DisneytheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #20
Shananana
Mouseketeer

Ahem....

I just picked up the Winner Information Sheet. It says (I'll paraphrase):

Congratulations! Blah, blah, blah...
When: June 14; 9 am to 6 pm.

Admission: Bring this winner letter and a valid photo ID to winner check-in area, located at ticket booth 8 (side note: I didn't realize that ticket booths had numbers, it's been SO long since I've actually used the ticket booths. ) Any who.... At the check -in location I will receive my 4 admission tickets that will be valid on June 14th only.

Check-in: upon check-in, we will also receive 4 wristbands which will allow me access to Cars Land from 9 am to 1:30 pm.

*** The check-in area will be open for Sneak Peek Winners only from 7am to 12:00.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #21
perlster
DIS Veteran

Since DCAP is closed to the public on June 14, why would guests need tickets, when the wristbands would identify them as the lucky (relatively) few? To answer, perhaps Fastpass machines will be operating in the rest of the park, although this seems rather pointless on a crowd-controlled day.
perlster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:08 PM   #22
jessicaerv
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I just picked up the Winner Information Sheet. It says (I'll paraphrase):

Congratulations! Blah, blah, blah...
When: June 14; 9 am to 6 pm.

Admission: Bring this winner letter and a valid photo ID to winner check-in area, located at ticket booth 8 (side note: I didn't realize that ticket booths had numbers, it's been SO long since I've actually used the ticket booths. ) Any who.... At the check -in location I will receive my 4 admission tickets that will be valid on June 14th only.

Check-in: upon check-in, we will also receive 4 wristbands which will allow me access to Cars Land from 9 am to 1:30 pm.

*** The check-in area will be open for Sneak Peek Winners only from 7am to 12:00.
Awesome -- you're the best!!

I received an e-mail finally from the Coca-Cola contest, but you received more information than we did. I wonder if we'll be checking in at Ticket Booth 8 also? Very cloak and dagger.

And it seems like there might be two different time slots for Carsland, one from 9:00 to 1:30 and the second from 1:30 to 6:00. Wonder how they're going to manage it so that folks stay within their allotted time frame... different colored wristbands, maybe? Also, what if you're in the first group but are standing in line for a ride at 1:30? Will they allow you to ride the ride and then leave? This could make for a lengthy wait for those coming in with the second group, if RSR already has a 2 hour wait before the second group even shows up. So then how does one make sure they receive the first grouping designation? I wonder if that's decided by how you came about your tickets or will it be based on when you check in at Ticket Booth 8. If its by check in then I will want to be there as early as possible, as I'm sure most would.

A lot of logistical problems, I foresee.

Last edited by jessicaerv; 06-04-2012 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Additional suppositions
jessicaerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:10 PM   #23
Shananana
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by perlster View Post
Since DCAP is closed to the public on June 14, why would guests need tickets, when the wristbands would identify them as the lucky (relatively) few? To answer, perhaps Fastpass machines will be operating in the rest of the park, although this seems rather pointless on a crowd-controlled day.
I think tickets are needed for any event... maybe any grad night'ers can back me up on this. But once upon a time, I remember going to disneyland for some closed-park event and I needed a special ticket. I think this is to keep track of population more than anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicaerv View Post
Awesome -- you're the best!!
You're welcome; I hope to see you there! I'll be the one running around with the two 7-year-old birthday kids!
Old 06-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #24
perlster
DIS Veteran

I remember the "good old days" when you received a badge to get into a special event at Disneyland.
perlster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:47 PM   #25
prettyprincessbelle
I'm just excited for the BBQ! Yum YUM!
Pots and pans? Seriously?!

I think tickets are needed just for scanning to get into the park and possibly the FP machines. At the WOC party a couple years ago they issued use special park tickets along with wrist bands.
prettyprincessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:27 AM   #26
Shananana
Mouseketeer

That was totally awesome!

I have slept on it twice now, and I'm certain of my review. I'll go over it in the next few posts. But first, an over all review.
Crowd control sucked. Driving up from San Diego was bad enough. It took us almost 2 hours door to parking lot. but then we had to pick up our tickets
This is what we faced:

It took us over an hour. It was awful. The good news is, I bumped into Twinkletoesjohnson and she had an extra ticket! It was Disney magic at work. I had my mom join us later in the afternoon.
Which brings me to timing... I was scheduled for the cars land morning preview, which ended at 1:30, and I thought that was fine. However, Buena Vista Street closed at 2, and that turned out to be horrible timing for us. We did everything in Cars, but got no time on Buena Vista.

Overall disappointments:
The ticket staff should have had winners grouped by sponsor. My window could have been Radio station X. They could have had a Ralphs window, etc. Instead, every window had a master list and it just took FOREVER to get our tickets.

I got to see very little of Buena Vista Street.

Which leads me to my first review.

Last edited by Shananana; 06-16-2012 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Adding Photos
Shananana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:38 AM   #27
Shananana
Mouseketeer

Buena Vista Street

First off, the cast of characters:

That's my friend Ana, me, Shanna and her son Joaquin and my daughter Josephine. Like I said, my mom joined us, but not until the afternoon. So she missed Cars land, but she got to see her grand baby and went on Toy Story and Soaring. It was all good.

As I walked in (at 10:00!!!), I quickly realized that there would be MUCH better pictures of BVS than what I could take, so I gave up on trying. I did capture one of the monorail crossing, though:

I wish I could compare this one of the old golden gate bridge. I know I've see that picture from almost the exact same spot.

We saw the newsboys performing, a lot of camera crews setting up (with un-disney language ) and we decided to go around the long way through bugs land.

BVS transitions seamlessly to Hollywood Land. It was really nice and we were able to spot 3 characters just hanging out! Handy Manny:

Frozone:

And, one of my faves, Sulley:

And then we were off to Cars Land!

Last edited by Shananana; 06-16-2012 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Adding Photos
Old 06-16-2012, 08:39 AM   #28
Shananana
Mouseketeer

Post A comparison of Test Track to RSR

Last Christmas, DH took me and the girls to WDW to visit all things Disney. It was amazing and I loved it. Jo's favorite ride turned out to be Test Track at Epcot.

(On a side note - I really liked Living with the Land and DH loved Expedition Everest. Violet - well, that's a DIFFERENT trip report.)

So, as I was telling Jo about the rides, I kept comparing Radiator Springs Racers to TT and she was super excited. I mean check this out:

The que took us almost 1 hour because the ride broke down for about 15 minutes. It wasn't too bad though. I got some cute que pictures:

and

and

(Hmmm... where'd all the people go?)

Finally, we get up to the front and it's Twinkle Toes Again!

Hi Ladies!

And then we were on our way by here:

To answer my husband's question... no, we don't drive over that bridge; it's a miniature. But it super pretty!

So, just like TT, RSR is really slow at first, as a few "fast" points, and then you hit the track. I was explaining it to DH and he noted that only the theming is different. Um, yes and no. The RSR track feels much shorter. And it has a "race" of 2 cars at once. That is awesome - and problematic, I would imagine. Any time a track needs to go back and forth and back and forth, it could easily be a break down point. Whenever I heard about the ride being down, I thought of this. But, you load the same way you do at TT: 3 to a row 6 per vehicle. And each vehicle is on the same track. There are not 2 tracks until later on. There is no cheesy video like at TT, but the concept is very much the same, depending which track you take. The first part of the right is the same:

You take a brief ride outside (see picture above) and then you go through a cave and Whoa! There’s Mac (think of the truck right before your outside speed race at TT – EXACTLY THE SAME.) Same place – same horn, same timing; actually, I think the TT truck might be red as well – or is it yellow? And then you turn a little, see Van and Mini and then speed up and slow down to listen to the Sheriff and Mater. This is not a full stop like in the “break check” in TT, but it reminded me of it a little. Then you go through the town and Sally and McQueen send you to one of two tracks:

Track 1: Luigi’s
This one was my favorite. It’s very much unlike TT because there is a mirror to the left of the car where you can get “new” white wall tires. My husband had to point out how they did that because even I was fooled. What DID remind me of TT was the shaking of the car. Just like the road bumps at the first part of TT, the whole vehicle shook as we got “new” tires. The only difference was that we weren’t moving.

We then went out to see Doc Hudson and waited for our racing partner:

We raced. We lost. And we did NOT go as fast as TT. There were much tighter corners. Three ascents and descents. But it was still going really really fast. The turns are much better on RSR, but I’ll explain that on the next track.

Track 2: Ramone’s
I love Ramone, but I honestly can say that Luigi’s track is better. For those of you who know TT, I know there’s a part in there that’s called environmental testing. I can’t remember if they spray you in the cool temperatures or in the warm temperatures, but getting a paint job was just like that. JUST. And then you are out to meet your racing partner. It wasn't very climatic. But here’s where it gets interesting… the banks on RSR are steep. Very steep. Josephine just had lunch before going on this for the second time, and we got Ramone’s track. It almost puts you parallel to the ground (well, it feels like it.) Since Luigi’s Track is on the inside for turn #1, that track is not as high on the bank. Josephine almost said she didn’t like the ride because she didn’t like being up so high. There’s the last couple of turns on TT that bank hard, but those aren’t as intense as RSR.
And here’s my theory: Ramone’s side usually wins. Not always, but usually.
You cross the finish, bank one more time and then you meet McQueen and Mater one more time and wait for the cars to switch back to one track.
That was fun!

Stay tuned for Luigi’s helpful hints.

Last edited by Shananana; 06-16-2012 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Adding Trip report
Old 06-16-2012, 07:53 PM   #29
MommyLove
The sleep-deprivation is causing low mental bandwidth
Did someone say TURKEY LEG? yum!

So fun to read! Thanks for sharing!
April '13 (BWPPI), May '13 (BWPPI), July '13 (Stanford I&S), Oct. '13 (BWPPI), Dec. 29, 2013 - Jan. 4, 2014 (BWPPI), April '14 (HoJo Kids Suite)
MommyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:15 PM   #30
TwingleMum
DIS Veteran

Thanks for sharing! Can't wait for more
TwingleMum is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: