Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
mf1973
Earning My Ears

Quickie Trippie - California Adventure/Fairfield Inn

Quick trip report that might be helpful for those planning a very short visit.

1 night
Fairfield Inn/Anaheim
Single person
Saturday night stay-over
First time at California Adventure

Primetime Shuttle (shared van) from LAX to Fairfield Inn - Prebooked the shuttle online. Landed in LAX, picked up luggage, met the Primetime Shuttle Agent outside baggage claim. Note: There were several Agent spread out across the entire pickup area, meaning, so if you go left or right you should probably bump into an agent. My reservation was correct on their tablet. Waited about 10 minutes for shuttle. However, for some reason the shuttle driver, after pick up went around the airport loop, and came back to the same exact area we departed. (We did not pick up any other people.) A 10 minute conversation ensued, and then we were on our way again. From the original departure point, to the hotel, 1:15 minutes (we stopped to drop off a passenger in a residential area). After the passenger drop-off, my hotel was the first stop. Total fee: $20 ($15 + $5 tip) - prepaid (one way). Traveling alone the cost makes sense, if I had another traveler or more I probably would take a taxi.

Fairfield Inn by Marriott - Big "Motel" feel to the hotel. However, rooms nice and quite well appointed. Nice workstation for laptop, flat screen TV. Clean. Beds very comfy. Checked mattresses for "bed begs" and didn't see any evidence, so hopefully I won't come across any surprises when I get home. The pool at the hotel is a basic rectangular pool that you would see in someone's backyard. I didn't go to the pool, but there were plenty of people there. Note: If you have a room adjacent to the elevators (i.e. 301, 401, etc.) you will hear the motors running. Didn't disturb me all that much, but if you are a light sleeper it could. There is a pizza hut inside the hotel, and a small arcade on the third floor. I didn't go into either. Each floor has Soda and Snack machines. There is a 24 hour McDonalds, just about in the motel parking lot, so it is a 1 minute walk. There are several other restaurants in close walking proximity (less than 5 minutes) - I didn't go into any of them, but they had a 'Denny's' feel to them. Fireworks from one of the shows at night were extremely loud and I heard them in the room. As a comparison, in WDW, when you close your slider door in Poly or CR you can hear the fireworks, but they are not deafening. Again - if you are a light sleeper be aware. Didn't park a car, but they do seem to charge for parking and 'take that seriously'. Total $ 0. Paid with 30k in United miles.

Proximity to the park
The walk to the Disneyland/California Adventure entrance was a pleasant 10 - 15 minute walk depending on how fast you walk. Sidewalks the whole way. You do have to cross a busy street at one point, but there is a stoplight and crossing area. There were always plenty of people crossing together, so it's not like you were crossing alone. If you've ever walked from the Contemporary to the MK, it feels about the same distance. Felt 'safe' the whole way, however when leaving at night to come back to the motel, there were a couple of 'interesting' characters (not Disney!) at the public bus stops on South Harbor Blvd. However, there were plenty of people around so I felt safe. Again - take note of the fireworks, they were loud while i was in the room and setting car alarms off!

California Adventure
Arrived at 2:00 PM. If you are willing to split your group up and ride single you can get on pretty quick. Fast Passes were still available for the second World of Color show for the night (but I did not partake). In fact, I didn't use any fast passes.
Cars Land was excellent. You do feel like you are in the movie. Really nice photo op if you enter cars land from Pacific Wharf.
Radiator Springs Racers: Despite the crowds, I was able to go into the single rider and/or standby entrance and get in about a 20 minute wait. (I was expecting a longer waits since it is new, and it was a Saturday.)
Tower of Terror - walked on waiting 15 minutes.
Californian Screamin' - walked on waiting about 20 minutes.
Toy Story Mania - walked on waiting about 20 minutes.
Soarin - walked on - NO WAIT.
I could have easily done 2 or 3 additional rides/attractions.

I hope this helps somebody!

Cheers!

Last edited by mf1973; 06-24-2012 at 09:26 AM.
mf1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
limace
DIS Veteran

Thanks! I've been curious about that hotel. Was this your first DL trip? And are you saying a night at the Fairfield cost 30k air miles? That doesn't seem like it could be right-that's as much as a round trip flight.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
mf1973
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by limace View Post
Thanks! I've been curious about that hotel. Was this your first DL trip? And are you saying a night at the Fairfield cost 30k air miles? That doesn't seem like it could be right-that's as much as a round trip flight.
I've been to Disneyland before, but never California adventure.

30000 miles was correct. I travel a lot for business (but not usually to LA) so I have quite a lot of miles. A r/t flight cost on united is wildly different depending on the route. On united, getting a rt flight for 25k miles is not the easiest task. It was a lot easier to "spend" the miles on a room. The rack rate for the room is $399 at Fairfield inn, though I doubt many would pay that. Cash the room was probably worth $200.
mf1973 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: