Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2012, 10:25 PM   #16
mrsksomeday
My Prince uses a power wheelchair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaven2dc View Post
Hurray! another TR I love reading all about your adventures! I hope the wheelchair battery doesn't turn into a dilemma but sounds like it may have....can't wait to read more
Thank you so much for reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkermom76 View Post
YAY can't wait to hear all about your trip. I have never been to SWW so it will be nice to hear about that too!
Hello!! Thanks for joining us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
You started!!

I hope everything worked out with the chair... I don't like that this was "just one of the issues" you would face!
Hi Amy!! Thanks for being here. I hope to not drag this report out for long.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:58 PM   #17
mrsksomeday

Didn’t we check two suitcases?

It seemed as though 5 minutes after I closed my eyes the alarm went off. We got ready and the accessible shuttle was waiting for us:

We were on the first flight out for the day. Usually I let the curbside people check us in, they do it very fast and I don’t mind giving them a tip. We were there too early for them so were in line at the Southwest counter at 4:24am. They had to fill out paperwork for the wheelchair and ask us questions this is why I don’t check us in online but I think we are trying it on our next trip.

As I have stated I am a big girl so as to not have any embarrassment at the airport, I buy the extra ticket, the “customer of size” ticket, the extra seat for my fat to spill over into . In buying that ticket there are always seems to be issues with Southwest printing them out. Their computers don’t like the “XS” you input in the “middle name” box to flag it as an extra seat. On top of the fact I had cancelled and moved the dates for the beginning of the trip, it sent the computer in a tizzy. The ticket agent had to call her manager and it took about 20 minutes to get it figured out. I am not a fan of flying and this made me even more nervous. Tickets in hand we headed to security. They were having “issues” that morning and didn’t have anyone in place yet to be able to pat Bill down. Finally someone showed up. I put everything through the machine and met up with him, they were still feeling him up. You would not believe how much they do to him and the wheelchair. I will have to video it one time.

While we waited at our gate, I facebooked, he messed with his baseball fantasy league and then a Southwest employee was asking us if we were ready to go. We are usually the first people on because they have to take the wheelchair from us and put it in the belly of the plane. I take various things off it before I let them handle it. We keep the tray, the footrests, and his air filled seat cushion. I have to show them how to disconnect the power. They usually give me a couple of minutes to do this, but for some reason they started sending people down while I was transferring everything. Normally the flight attendants will help me a little to move things along quicker, not this time. I have never had flight attendants that were so self-involved in my life. This rattled me a little again as I felt I was holding people up, I am a people pleaser so this flustered me. I was so much happier in my seat.

We had an uneventful flight, made our way down to ME, and luckily they had an accessible bus right there for us. It was nice because usually we sit and watch many people leave the terminal while we wait for one. Not that I am complaining, I like being able to let ME drive us. I sat in front because I wanted that great Walt Disney World sign shot. Look at the windshield:

EWWWW way too many bugs, they should have to clean the windshield every time before they leave to take us to our happy place .

More bug shots:

Bill hanging off the side of the bus:

I really like the cast members at Pop Century, they are always really friendly and talkative. The guy I was talking to was singing along with “I Will Follow Him”. I thought that was appropriate as I would follow Bill anywhere. They also like to make art:

We went to check in and Miss Slow Pokey was driving me insane. We are in Disney, we don’t want to stand here, we have stuff to do!!! Of course the first room wasn’t anywhere near we wanted. I swear they don’t even look at the requests sometimes. We prefer ground floor for a variety of reasons, she got on the phone and they found a room for us. With the tiered room locations now it seems we would be in a preferred but not pool location (we didn’t pay for pool view, I kept telling her) but she said the computer gave us an $84 credit. Who was I to argue with her?? We grabbed the key cards and went to the food court.

Can they give us anymore fries??? Seriously:

(inside joke alert…. THEY HAD CARROT CAKE!!!)

I was pleasantly surprised they had Cherry Coke at the fountain drink station. Bill was HAPPY, he is a Mountain Dew man but does like his Cherry Coke. After lunch we headed for the room. Hmm 50’s section, this room number looks familiar? Why?

Why? Because it was the same exact room that we had in December, that is why. The landscaper CM’s were watering plants and the spout was right next to our door. Bill has a bolt on the bottom of his chair so it locks into place in our van. I had to lift the hose over him so we could get into our room, we must have looked crazy.

We got in the room and wow our luggage was there, oh wait, well one piece of luggage is there. It is after the 3 hour time they state in the ME documents so I called baggage handling to see if it was accidently delivered to the room we were originally assigned to. “No Mrs. B, it seems we only have one bag listed for you.” HUH??? He says he will look into it and call me back in 15 minutes, well 30 went by so I called back. Come to find out he is the only one up there right now so every time he tried to call me someone else would either call or come up to his area. He still didn’t see any information about another bag, he would talk to the people that were getting ready to come in for the next shift, tell them about the situation and gave me two phone numbers for Southwest. He told me to call the 1-800 first, then call the MCO one because some of Bill’s meds were in the bag.

The lady at the 1-800 was a WITCH with a B. She was rude, uncaring, and sarcastic. I am usually a very laid back person, but she had me very mad and I let her know it, I ended up hanging up on her. I called the MCO number and the difference was like night and day. Elaine was fantastic, knowledgeable, and caring. She said she thought the bag might have just decided to take a trip on to Raleigh but they were great at that airport at sending stuff back on the next flight. She asked me to call later that evening and hopefully one of her co workers would have info, she was off but would be calling me the next morning to make sure we got our bag. Bill and I thought it was time to take a nap. I decided to try to charge the chair again and I couldn’t believe it, it was charging!! We got up and decided to just stay at Pop for the night.

Hello Lady:

Hey Bill is that Florida sunshine bothering your eyes?

Ohhh Pretty!!

We went back to the food court, had dinner, bought some pins and other stuff and went back to the room. The wayward bag was there waiting for us !! I called the MCO Southwest number back and left a message for Elaine to let her know we got the bag and thanked her for her help and understanding.

We thought it was time to end this day and go to bed, would tomorrow be any better??

Next installment… A rodent in Bill’s hair!

Last edited by mrsksomeday; 06-17-2012 at 06:25 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-02-2012, 06:30 AM   #18
ddstratton
DIS Veteran

Yay! for the chair deciding to charge. And BOO! for the rude people you encountered. And I must be hungry this morning. Those cheese fries and the fruit cup both look very yummy to me right now...

May 2016 Pre-Trip Report

May 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter Pre-Trip Report and
The AutoTrain, Disney World and More! Trip Report

October 2008 - Caribbean Beach
Pre-Trip Report and Trip Report
Old 06-02-2012, 07:42 AM   #20
justakrazymom
DIS Veteran

I am so in!!

homeschooling mom,Disney freak and more
DxL '99, CBR '00, Pop '11
BWI '12,POFQ '12 , PORS '13

The SuperFamily vs. Silverware , Felons and The Little Mermaid Sept 2013 TR

No Distractions,Never say Never TR
Old 06-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #21
Baloo

Laughter is the bloom
of a happy heart
Italian pixie
**WARNING**
Wand is a wooden spoon!

So happy the bags were there and the chair charged!!!

LOVE that picture of Lady!

Looking forward to more!

Old 06-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #22
katiebelle21
DIS Veteran

Yikes! First the chair and then the missing luggage. I hope that your trip improves after the rocky start!
Old 06-02-2012, 06:01 PM   #23
mrsksomeday

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddstratton View Post
Yay! for the chair deciding to charge. And BOO! for the rude people you encountered. And I must be hungry this morning. Those cheese fries and the fruit cup both look very yummy to me right now...
I love the fruit cups at Pop, I get them all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
It sounds like there were a lot of bumps along the way, but yay for making it to Disney, the bags finally showing up and the chair charging!
I am getting too old for all the bumps .

Quote:
Originally Posted by justakrazymom View Post
I am so in!!
Thanks for being here .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
So happy the bags were there and the chair charged!!!

LOVE that picture of Lady!

Looking forward to more!
I was so happy about the wheelchair I was a nervous wreck about it. I liked that picture of Lady too. I really liked my flower picture too LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiebelle21 View Post
Yikes! First the chair and then the missing luggage. I hope that your trip improves after the rocky start!
At times I was wondering if it was going to improve. Thanks for posting.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:54 PM   #24
luvfigment
Member of the 'Jambo! WildBunch'
DIS Veteran

All caught up...hopefully I can stay that way. . Glad the luggage showed up. Can't wait to read more.

Are you already planning your next trip? I am going through withdrawal. This is the longest I have ever gone between Disney trips and I am feeling it. I am hoping Sept 2013 could happen for Maliah's 2nd BDay and first trip but that depends on plans for baby #2.
1983 Off Property~1986 Polynesian~1987 Off Property~1988 Disney Village Resort~1989 CBR-Jamaica~1990 Swan~1992 CBR-Aruba~1994 Dixie Landings~1996 Dixie~1998 Grad Night at All Star Sports~ 1998 Dixie~1999 Yacht Club~2001 OKW~2004 Shades of Green~2005 AKL (DH's first trip)~2006 First trip to Disneyland-Paradise Pier~2006 AKL~Oct 2007 Disneymoon Polynesian~Sept. 2008 ASMu~Oct. 2008 Wilderness Lodge CL 1 yr Anniversary~Sept 2013 Wilderness Lodge~
Old 06-03-2012, 08:31 AM   #25
Tinker_Tam
DIS Veteran

So sorry it is off to a rough start!!

Carrot Cake!!!!!
Old 06-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #26
mrsksomeday

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvfigment View Post
All caught up...hopefully I can stay that way. . Glad the luggage showed up. Can't wait to read more.

Are you already planning your next trip? I am going through withdrawal. This is the longest I have ever gone between Disney trips and I am feeling it. I am hoping Sept 2013 could happen for Maliah's 2nd BDay and first trip but that depends on plans for baby #2.
Hello!! We always have another trip in the works, I think I would go crazy if I didn't know the next time we were going to WDW. Ohhh baby #2, already thinking of having another one? Maliah is gorgeous!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker_Tam View Post
So sorry it is off to a rough start!!

Carrot Cake!!!!!
Every time we see Carrot Cake we think of Gavin .
Old 06-04-2012, 11:06 AM   #27
Tinkermom76
Gawrsh

my luggage not showing up is my biggest travel nightmare

I have started packing everyones clothes in all the suitcases that way if one doesn't make it then everyone still has clothes. What are the odds they lose all three... wait don't answer that

Me (Natalie) DD12 (Eryka) DD9 (Emma)

May 1989 offsite, May 1999 CBR, Feb 2008 Nickelodeon, Dec 2009 CR, Dec 2010 Pop, Oct 2011, Pop, Feb 2012 WL, Sept 2012 POR, Sept 2013 ASM, May 2014 Pop, Dec 2014 CBR
Old 06-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #28
DisneyGuy758
Let's go Murphys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsksomeday View Post
Bill finds that in the “real world” people judge him by his disability. Just because he has no balance, his right arm doesn’t work right, and he has a speech impediment, this doesn’t mean that he is mentally disabled. So many people don’t even talk to him, they turn to me, especially when ordering at a restaurant. “What will the gentleman be ordering” they ask me…. “I don’t know” I say then turn to him. “Bill what do you want to eat”. Then he tells us. This highly frustrates both of us. The “real world” seems pretty judgmental to me as well. I am overweight and not just a little. I swear people think I am contagious sometimes. I swear, fat doesn’t fall off me and attach to you. If it did I would make sure I stood next to some people I didn’t like for a VERY long time . In WDW, we are talked to, welcomed, accepted. It is like going into another world and we can’t seem to get enough.
I've read every TR you've written (enjoying them all) and this might be the best thing you've ever written.

People are way too judgmental and appearance is everything. No one ever takes the time to stop and think before they open their mouths.

Anyways...

I'm in on the ground floor of this TR...and I can't wait to read more.

Me DW DS 13 DS 7 DS 2

The DisneyGuy Clan Hits the world...8/10-8/16

My non-Disney related hobby.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #29
RachVH
Mouseketeer

Newbie catching up an joining in! Love your TR so far, your attitude towards life is admirable. Glad you got the luggage back, but wow, should you not have had to put up with that much attitude when trying to nail down the issue. Especially considering there was medication in the bag!

Looking forward to further updates!
Old 06-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #30
janatmovies
Mouseketeer

Another newbie on board! Rocky start but I hope you guys had a wonderful rest of the trip. Can't wait to read more :D

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: