Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
mrsksomeday
My Prince uses a power wheelchair!

Smile It’s the little moments that count!! 3/31 KathyRN137 & Lurkyloo's podcasts

Installment Links

A view from the tray & Wishes Dessert Party Part 1

A view from the tray & Wishes Dessert Party Part 2

Throwing the plans out the window Part 1

Throwing the plans out the window Part 2

Off to see a butler

Ugly Crying at the Grand Floridian

Moving to the Boardwalk Part 1

Moving to the Boardwalk Part 2

Disappointments, surprises, and a serenade Pt 1

Disappointments, surprises, and a serenade Pt 2

How did we miss that?? Pt. 1

How did we miss that?? Pt. 2

Life update 3/09/13

SWW Fastpass? We dont need no stinkin fastpass!!

SWW Fastpass? We dont need no stinkin fastpass!! Pt. 2

SWW Fastpass? We dont need no stinkin fastpass!! Pt. 3

I can't believe I forgot it!!

The Yeti has secret jewelry?

Night at the Boardwalk

Time to go back to reality

We did some podcasts

Last edited by mrsksomeday; 04-01-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
mrsksomeday

Hi, I’m Tracy, Bill, my significant other, and I are Walt Disney World fanatics!! This is my 9th trip report about our 11th trip together. I am not going to do a lot of introduction, if you want to know more about us there are a bunch of links in my signature.

This is us on our favorite ride Toy Story Mania:

*photo credit Terry aka oregondaddyof2
Bill has Cerebral Palsy and is always rockin a power wheelchair . He is hilarious, with a wicked sense of humor and is highly intelligent. I adore him, he is amazing, wonderful, and a million other adjectives. He has my heart to infinity and beyond. I am usually shy, a loner, and am always planning another trip, ALWAYS. If I didn’t have a WDW trip to plan I think I would die of a broken heart. WDW to us is home, it is a place of joy, happiness, and acceptance.

Bill finds that in the “real world” people judge him by his disability. Just because he has no balance, his right arm doesn’t work right, and he has a speech impediment, this doesn’t mean that he is mentally disabled. So many people don’t even talk to him, they turn to me, especially when ordering at a restaurant. “What will the gentleman be ordering” they ask me…. “I don’t know” I say then turn to him. “Bill what do you want to eat”. Then he tells us. This highly frustrates both of us. The “real world” seems pretty judgmental to me as well. I am overweight and not just a little. I swear people think I am contagious sometimes. I swear, fat doesn’t fall off me and attach to you. If it did I would make sure I stood next to some people I didn’t like for a VERY long time . In WDW, we are talked to, welcomed, accepted. It is like going into another world and we can’t seem to get enough.

This trip was for Bill, he loves Star Wars so this was to celebrate his birthday by going to the first Star Wars Weekend. His actual birthday is in June, but with my pasty white skin and the” fat” factor I would probably spontaneously combust in the June Florida sun so we decided May was better.

Originally we had planned May 16th – 22nd. Ohhhh if you know us, you know it didn’t stay that way. We are date changers, resort movers, ADR flip floppers. We are BAD. One thing that couldn’t change though was the original reservation at Boardwalk Villas. We had rented points, so we had to stick with that no matter what. When renting points you have to do it pretty early to get the resort you want, so we had booked this reservation in August 2011. That gave us a lot of time to think, WAY TOO MUCH time to think. Addmoredaysitis was hitting us hard, it struck Bill first but then I became infected with it too, before I knew it we had added more days. The arrival day moved back to May 11th. I was worried about money, I am always worried about something it is just the way I am, so I talked Bill into making the first reservation be at Pop Century. Easy peasy, we have been there several times, wouldn’t have to worry about a thing when we got there (foreshadowing maybe? )

We live in Southern Illinois, so we usually fly out of St. Louis. We drive up the night before and try to get some sleep before our flight. I say “try” because something always seems to happen to keep me awake. No matter how well I plan, something happens. Oh boy this trip was NO exception.

We made it up to St. Louis and tried the Cheesecake Factory, it was my first time and Bill was happy to go back. The man loves cheesecake. We had a good time and checked into our hotel. Everything was going really well. I had been texting with my DBFF (Disney Best Friend Forever) Toni, aka oregonmommyof2 ever since we got to the restaurant. I think I told her goodnight and that I would text when we landed at MCO. I am Bill’s caregiver as well as his woman so I helped him lay down for the night. We had had issues with the wheelchair charging on the last trip. He uses a different powerchair at home, this one is smaller for the buses and the rides. I had done a test run with it before we left and all was well. I plugged the charger in and went to lie down. Something made me look over at the indicator lights. RED LIGHT means ERROR. I unplugged it, messed with it, plugged it in again, ERROR. I did this for about 20 minutes. I was a mess. We had to be up at 3:30am, we couldn’t go to Disney without knowing why the wheelchair wasn’t charging. I texted Toni in a panic, she was so sweet and talked me down. She said she would do whatever she could to help. Bill and I talked about what to do. He said go to WDW, see if we could get the charger to work, if not call a medical rental place and rent a charger or even a powerchair if we had to. I hated starting the trip off with uncertainty, little did I know that this was just one of the issues we would face during this trip.

Next installment… Didn’t we check two suitcases?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-30-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
oregonmommyof2
DIS Veteran

YAY!!!

FINALLY!!!

GEEZ!!
Old 05-30-2012, 08:38 PM   #4
mrsksomeday

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonmommyof2 View Post
YAY!!!

FINALLY!!!

GEEZ!!
Thats it ??

Are you writing your next installment on your PTR??
Old 05-30-2012, 08:42 PM   #5
oregonmommyof2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsksomeday View Post
We made it up to St. Louis and tried the Cheesecake Factory, it was my first time and Bill was happy to go back. The man loves cheesecake. We had a good time and checked into our hotel. Everything was going really well. I had been texting with my DBFF (Disney Best Friend Forever) Toni, aka oregonmommyof2 ever since we got to the restaurant. I think I told her goodnight and that I would text when we landed at MCO. I am Bill’s caregiver as well as his woman so I helped him lay down for the night. We had had issues with the wheelchair charging on the last trip. He uses a different powerchair at home, this one is smaller for the buses and the rides. I had done a test run with it before we left and all was well. I plugged the charger in and went to lie down. Something made me look over at the indicator lights. RED LIGHT means ERROR. I unplugged it, messed with it, plugged it in again, ERROR. I did this for about 20 minutes. I was a mess. We had to be up at 3:30am, we couldn’t go to Disney without knowing why the wheelchair wasn’t charging. I texted Toni in a panic, she was so sweet and talked me down. She said she would do whatever she could to help. Bill and I talked about what to do. He said go to WDW, see if we could get the charger to work, if not call a medical rental place and rent a charger or even a powerchair if we had to. I hated starting the trip off with uncertainty, little did I know that this was just one of the issues we would face during this trip.
I know how stressed you were when this was going on. I was glad to be able to talk you through it.

Great start to the TR!! Let's get this baby rollin', I have a feeling you have another type of report to begin...

Quote:
Thats it ??

Are you writing your next installment on your PTR??
Patience WOMAN!!
Old 05-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
mrsksomeday

Quote:
I know how stressed you were when this was going on. I was glad to be able to talk you through it.

Great start to the TR!! Let's get this baby rollin', I have a feeling you have another type of report to begin...

Patience WOMAN!!
Thank you again for being there for me, I would have been a crying puddle if it hadn't been for you.

I have a feeling this TR will go faster than the others, Toni is going to throw a fit if I don't hurry. It seems she wants me to write a Pre Trip Report for December, although I don't know why??
Old 05-30-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
Tinker_Tam
DIS Veteran

Yeah!! A new TR!!!

Sorry it is starting off stressful though. You have me sitting on the edge of my seat, so go ahead... write another installment tonight!
Old 05-30-2012, 09:41 PM   #8
ddstratton
DIS Veteran

Oh, YAY!!! I love your trip reports. Even if I did more reading than posting on your last one.....

I don't like the sounds of this whole chair-not-charging issue...

May 2016 Pre-Trip Report <--Also includes a Mini Trip Report of our March 2014 trip to Asheville/Gatlinburg

May 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter Pre-Trip Report and
The AutoTrain, Disney World and More! Trip Report

October 2008 - Caribbean Beach
Pre-Trip Report and Trip Report
Old 05-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #9
oregonmommyof2
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I have a feeling this TR will go faster than the others, Toni is going to throw a fit if I don't hurry. It seems she wants me to write a Pre Trip Report for December, although I don't know why??
Really??? You don't know why??? Maybe I have been a little too subtle...
Old 05-30-2012, 10:56 PM   #10
Baloo

Laughter is the bloom
of a happy heart
Italian pixie
**WARNING**
Wand is a wooden spoon!

YAY...a new TR!!!

Keep her in line and writing Toni!!!

Old 05-30-2012, 11:05 PM   #11
oregonmommyof2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baloo View Post

Oh, I FULLY intend to!!!

Old 05-30-2012, 11:08 PM   #12
mrsksomeday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker_Tam View Post
Yeah!! A new TR!!!

Sorry it is starting off stressful though. You have me sitting on the edge of my seat, so go ahead... write another installment tonight!
Hi Tammy, it is written and will be posted sometime this week .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddstratton View Post
Oh, YAY!!! I love your trip reports. Even if I did more reading than posting on your last one.....

I don't like the sounds of this whole chair-not-charging issue...
Hi Darla!! Thanks for joining. I didn't like the sound of the whole chair not charging issue either .

Quote:
Really??? You don't know why??? Maybe I have been a little too subtle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
YAY...a new TR!!!

Hello!! Thanks for being here. Toni tries to keep me in line .
Old 05-31-2012, 01:59 AM   #13
heaven2dc
DIS Veteran

Hurray! another TR I love reading all about your adventures! I hope the wheelchair battery doesn't turn into a dilemma but sounds like it may have....can't wait to read more

WDW Trips: March 1997 (BWV), February 2008 (BWV), December 2008 (BWV), Nov/Dec 2010 (BWV)

Disneyland Trips: September 1983, AP Holder July 2013 (twice), August 2013 & November 2013

All Our Dreams Come True If We Have the Courage To Pursue Them - Walt Disney
Old 05-31-2012, 07:48 AM   #14
Tinkermom76
Gawrsh

YAY can't wait to hear all about your trip. I have never been to SWW so it will be nice to hear about that too!

Me (Natalie) DD12 (Eryka) DD9 (Emma)

May 1989 offsite, May 1999 CBR, Feb 2008 Nickelodeon, Dec 2009 CR, Dec 2010 Pop, Oct 2011, Pop, Feb 2012 WL, Sept 2012 POR, Sept 2013 ASM, May 2014 Pop, Nov 2014 CBR

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: