Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #31
disneydreaminA115
Long time lurker - coming out to play!

Chapter 15: The Final Chapter

Chapter 15: The Final Chapter

I woke up on the last day with a heavy heart. The trip hadn't gone as I had hoped, except for the last day or two, and I felt like we were *finally* getting into our groove. Alas, we packed up our carry on bags and dressed in our traveling clothes. We called the front desk and told them we were ready to go and they had the CM come and bring our bags up to the front for us. We checked out and did our bag re-arranging as needed before heading to the cafe to get some breakfast.

We ordered some waffles and eggs and potatoes, but no one felt much like eating, and especially not the quick service breakfast, but we knew it was going to be a while and the girls would need something in their bellies.

About an hour later our ME bus showed up and we sulked our way up the steps and settled in and waited for the rest of our group. We pulled away not too much longer and I remember thinking that the ride seemed much longer than it did when we got there. The goodbye video played above us and I wiped away a few silly tears, telling myself that as soon as I got home I would start planning a new trip.

We arrived at the airport and unloaded our bags, found our gate and settled into a nice corner where the girls could run around while still being boxed in. DH ran and got some Starbucks for us and Nana went to stretch her legs for a while before we got on the 3 hour flight back home. At least this time, though, there would be no horrid layover making our trip an all day event. Watching the girls play I noticed that Lovebug seemed a little less energetic than usual and kept an eye on her. DH came back with the coffee's and a snack for the girls, so I called them over and started handing out bits of muffin. As I handed Lovebug her snack I brushed my hand against her arm and pulled back in shock at how hot she felt. I pulled her in and could tell immediately that she had a fever, she was burning up to the touch. Just to be sure I pulled out my baby first aid kid and took her temperature - 102.5. Yikes. And we had a 3 hour plane ride ahead of us, I knew this was bad news.

I started her on Tylenol and waited for an hour, right as we were about to board, and checked her temperature again. 101.9. Not nearly enough, so I added a dose of Advil. By this point she was a lethargic sad little lump of a baby, and once we got bucked into the plane I pulled out all my sick baby resources and rocked my little sick girl to sleep, hoping the air pressure change would be kind to us.

She slept on me for the first hour and a half of the trip, and I could feel that her temperature had dropped considerably, to my relief. However, when she woke up she was finally acting as miserable as she obviously felt. We kept her occupied with goldfish and some ginger ale, while passing her around between DH, Nana, and I as she demanded. All I can say is God bless the crew and other passengers on the plane. Because of their kindness and patience we made it mostly through the flight with little crying and even fewer nasty glances. We arrived home around dinner time and in time for me to start administering another dose of Tylenol. We made the 95 minute drive home from the airport and she and Looberry fell asleep instantly. DH, Nana, and I spent the night unwinding (did I mention we live with her while we house hunt? It made it very convenient!) and I realized that all of my sadness over leaving Disney had evaporated. In it's place was perspective. My daughter was sick, and all that mattered was making sure that she was okay and that she got better. I was grateful to have had time together with my family in a place that I had always wanted to go. True, it didn't happen as I had planned, but life rarely does. So many families in this world will never see the money to be able to afford the kind of vacation we had just taken, and some children are too sick with serious diseases and cancers to be able to even leave the house. I was blessed and content. (NOT that it stopped me from planning a new trip )
The next morning we went to the pediatrician and discovered our poor little Lovebug had a severe double ear infection, it's a wonder she did as well as she had on the plane! Fortunately some antibiotics kicked it in a few shortdays and we had our happy baby back.

Almost a year has passed since that trip and here we are with two full blown, beautiful, smart, funny toddlers ready to go on our do-over trip. This time, though, we will only be there for 4 days, but we will be SANS children, as they will be staying with Nana, because this trip will be the Honeymoon that we never had. 33 days and counting!

For all those who commented on this thread, thank you so much. There were so many times when I felt like "no one even reads this, why am I bothering?" but I was determined to finish it, and the few of you who did comment encouraged me! For the other 2300 of you thank you for following along and letting me have a place to breathe. I hope I get to know some of you if you decide to follow me on my next TR! For now, you can find my PTR here, I hope to see you real soon!

Thanks For Stopping By!
[/URL]

*The evening star is shining bright, so make a wish and hold on tight, there's magic in the air tonight and anything could happen*

Grand Floridian Dec 2012 - The Sweetest Little Disneymoon Ever! **In Progress**
POP/POFQ Dec 2011 - Eating and Napping Our Way Through The World - A First Timers Black Friday Trip Report!

Last edited by disneydreaminA115; 11-10-2012 at 09:44 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: