Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2014, 07:13 PM   #1
kristilew
DIS Veteran

Harry Potter question for those who have done London

Wondering if anyone who has been to London (either ABD or on your own) has gone out the WB Studio tour of the Harry Potter movie sets?

We are going to spend a couple of nights in London en route to our Italy ABD and have been there enough to have already done many of the traditional tourist things. According to their website, the WB studio has a Christmas overlay of the HP sets and should be fun for fans to tour. If anyone has done this (regular or at Christmas time, doesn't matter) I'd love to hear any thoughts, feedback, or tips you might have.

TIA!
kristilew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:00 PM   #2
RSM
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristilew View Post
Wondering if anyone who has been to London (either ABD or on your own) has gone out the WB Studio tour of the Harry Potter movie sets?

We are going to spend a couple of nights in London en route to our Italy ABD and have been there enough to have already done many of the traditional tourist things. According to their website, the WB studio has a Christmas overlay of the HP sets and should be fun for fans to tour. If anyone has done this (regular or at Christmas time, doesn't matter) I'd love to hear any thoughts, feedback, or tips you might have.

TIA!
Hi Kristilew--we spent 8 days in London last August and pretty much every day had some Harry Potter tie in (Lacock where his house was shot, Oxford, HP tour of filming locations in London, etc.). We did go to WB Studios one day. We had about 4 hours, and honestly, that wasn't nearly enough to really see all the detail. Pretty much every indoor set is displayed across a couple of aircraft hangars. In those sets are literally thousands of the props. There is also an outdoor display of house exteriors, Hogwarts Express, etc. The final section contains a lot of the models and artwork that were part of the movie making process. We loved this day as the sets are so detailed and the props are the actual props used in the movies. I think is a must do for any HP fan. However, it can lead to sensory overload, especially if you are short on time. The tickets are timed and my understanding is that they sell out well in advance. In retrospect, we probably spent too much time working with our 11 y/o son on the game they gave the kids (find 11 objects in the displays). But, overall, we thought it was awesome. If there are any questions feel free to PM me or post a response.
RSM is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-03-2014, 09:50 AM   #3
tufbuf
Disney Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSM View Post
Hi Kristilew--we spent 8 days in London last August and pretty much every day had some Harry Potter tie in (Lacock where his house was shot, Oxford, HP tour of filming locations in London, etc.). We did go to WB Studios one day. We had about 4 hours, and honestly, that wasn't nearly enough to really see all the detail. Pretty much every indoor set is displayed across a couple of aircraft hangars. In those sets are literally thousands of the props. There is also an outdoor display of house exteriors, Hogwarts Express, etc. The final section contains a lot of the models and artwork that were part of the movie making process. We loved this day as the sets are so detailed and the props are the actual props used in the movies. I think is a must do for any HP fan. However, it can lead to sensory overload, especially if you are short on time. The tickets are timed and my understanding is that they sell out well in advance. In retrospect, we probably spent too much time working with our 11 y/o son on the game they gave the kids (find 11 objects in the displays). But, overall, we thought it was awesome. If there are any questions feel free to PM me or post a response.
Did you use their transfers to get there and back?

ABD-2014(Ireland/Scotland),2013(CR),2012(Greece/Alpine Magic),2011 (Peru & Ecuador),2010 (SWS),2009 (CKL),2008 (VI); DCL-2007 (DW 3n),2008 (DM 7n WC),2010 (11n Med),2011 (DD 3n,7n MR,DD 4n),2012 (DFMV 7nWC,5nCan DM,5n DD),2013(3n DD,12n Med DM),2014(DD4n,DF7n NYE),DParis 09/09-WDW (Boardwalk) 12/06-DL (Grand Californian) 09/05-WDW (AK Lodge) 10/04 WDW (Coronado Springs) 06/03-DL 09/00-WDW (All Star Music) 10/98-WDW (Port Orleans) 11/97-DL Jun92
tufbuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:06 AM   #4
RSM
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufbuf View Post
Did you use their transfers to get there and back?
We booked the transportation and ticket through Viator. We took a double decker HP decorated bus from Central London to the studio. It took about an hour or so to get there. This provided 3-4 hours in the studios. If we were to do it again, we would try to go on our own so as not to feel time constrained. One other thing I forgot, you have the option of renting an audio tour. We used this for about 50% of the tour. I don't think it was really necessary, but it did provide some good commentary. It wasn't that expensive so it's probably worth it.
RSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:26 PM   #5
kristilew
DIS Veteran

Thank you! This is exactly the kind of info I needed!
kristilew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:14 PM   #6
Rapunzellover
Earning My Ears

Hello- new poster/first timer here- I did the WB studios set tour last year when I went with ABD to London/Paris.

Viator offers an option that goes from London, but they only leave at specific times, IIRC.

For more flexibility as to when you go and how long you stay, you might just want to book the tickets online, and take the train to watford junction (not the other watford station) from euston station in london. It's approximately a 20 mintue ride with a high speed train. You can find train times online. Watford junction is a very small station, and right outside you will see the double deckers which go to the WB studios. You can't miss them because they're painted with HP images. Very pretty. The double decker ride is about another 15 minutes to the studio from watford junction. Times are posted online; they tend to coinside with the trains from euston, so you shouldn't have to wait long. It's about 2 pounds round trip for the double decker bus; I forget how much train tickets were but I found them reasonable.

That is what I did when I went to the WB studio last year and i found it convienient because I could decide when I wanted to visit the studio and how long I wanted to stay. It was very simple and easy, and possibly cheaper.

Just know that train and bus tickets don't need pre-purchasing but the WB studio tour does. So if you decide not to use viator, purchase your tour tickets in advance. They are not sold on site.

PS- visit platform 9 and 3/4 at King's cross station if you love Potter!

Last edited by Rapunzellover; 09-03-2014 at 07:17 PM. Reason: clarification
Rapunzellover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:09 AM   #7
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

I went right after it opened. It's very easy to get there on your own; no need to pay for a tour. There's a good explanation in the post above. Even if you're not a Harry Potter fan, it's an interesting place to visit.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:36 AM   #8
jon18uk
Mouseketeer

We live in London and took the train from Euston to Watford and then the bus and it was very easy.

Do make sure you book in advance, you cannot purchase tickets at the studio!

The tour is great, only the first section in the great hall is guided and then you go at your own pace. Can fill 3-4 hours easily.

Also possible to get Butterbeer and drink it with a view of privett drive. But for a full meal I would go elsewhere.

Merchandise is similar to WWOHP at Universal and very expensive.
jon18uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:03 PM   #9
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Kristilew, I just went to the WB HP studio tour during one of my ABD pre-days in London. I agree with all of the above. It's a total must if you are a Harry Potter fan! I spent 5 1/2 hours there, and felt that was about right. As RSM said, it's really detailed, with tons and TONS of real sets and props. I got the audio tour, and really enjoyed it.

As Rapunzellover detailed, it's really easy to get there on your own. The trains from London Euston to Watford Junction run really frequently, and the shuttle buses run very frequently. You have to purchase your tickets for the studio tour ahead of time.

Let me know if you have *any* questions! I'd be happy to answer!

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)

Last edited by sayhello; 09-07-2014 at 10:43 AM.
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:55 PM   #10
monkeyknuckler
Mouseketeer

Its a great place to go if you're into HP. Being in the Great Hall was trippy.
Took the bus thats associated with the studio tour. Had a little trouble locating the bus stop, as we're not used to the naming/numbering system in Westminster.

2002 CBR, 2004 Poly, 2004 Swan and Wonder, 2005 DL, 2007 Poly, 2008 DL, 2008 WL, 2009 GF, 2009 SPR, 2010 BLT/AKV, 2010 DL VGC, 2011 Poly, Magic, PORFQ, BLT. 2012 BLT,AULANI,VGC, DL Htl, 2013 BLT, ABD K&L, DL Paris,2014 BLT, VBR.
monkeyknuckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:56 PM   #11
Rapunzellover
Earning My Ears

As sayhello notes, you could easily spend 5 and 1/2 hours at the studio. I was there for about 4 and only left because the place was closing!

If you even think you'd want that much time, don't go through viator. You'll be stuck to their schedule.

If I were you, I'd take the train to have time for an extra glass of butter beer. And for the final room of the studio, which is spectacular!

But don't buy your HP goods there- they're highly overpriced.

Last edited by Rapunzellover; 09-04-2014 at 06:57 PM. Reason: bad spelling
Old 09-05-2014, 12:32 AM   #12
tufbuf
Disney Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzellover View Post
As sayhello notes, you could easily spend 5 and 1/2 hours at the studio. I was there for about 4 and only left because the place was closing! If you even think you'd want that much time, don't go through viator. You'll be stuck to their schedule. If I were you, I'd take the train to have time for an extra glass of butter beer. And for the final room of the studio, which is spectacular! But don't buy your HP goods there- they're highly overpriced.
Where is a good place to buy HP goods then?

ABD-2014(Ireland/Scotland),2013(CR),2012(Greece/Alpine Magic),2011 (Peru & Ecuador),2010 (SWS),2009 (CKL),2008 (VI); DCL-2007 (DW 3n),2008 (DM 7n WC),2010 (11n Med),2011 (DD 3n,7n MR,DD 4n),2012 (DFMV 7nWC,5nCan DM,5n DD),2013(3n DD,12n Med DM),2014(DD4n,DF7n NYE),DParis 09/09-WDW (Boardwalk) 12/06-DL (Grand Californian) 09/05-WDW (AK Lodge) 10/04 WDW (Coronado Springs) 06/03-DL 09/00-WDW (All Star Music) 10/98-WDW (Port Orleans) 11/97-DL Jun92
tufbuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:21 AM   #13
Rapunzellover
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufbuf View Post
Where is a good place to buy HP goods then?
Well, if you're an america, buy them in america. The exchange rate alone ups the price in the UK.

As someone above noted, the WB studio merch is very similar to what's sold at the Wizarding worlds and online. It's likely cheaper that way.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:47 AM   #14
knewton64
If it is "5 o'clock somewhere," does that mean it can be 5 o'clock anywhere and all the time?

Smile RE: HARRY PoTTER ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristilew View Post

TIA!

I inquired a few weeks ago via Viator.com also and was just amazed at how much of a hot ticket this is.

It's currently selling out approx 3 to 4 weeks in advance so IMO, if ya wanna go, book it asap.

Have fun on it - heard lots to see, etc.

T.T.F.N.
&
CHEERS Y'ALL
My "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE N KEY WEST, COZUMEL & G CAYMAN DCL TRIP REPORT; JAN'12 (w/pics & video)http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N NEW YORK CITY" TRIP REPORT; SEPT '12 (w/pics & video)http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N SAN FRAN, ROSE BOWL, ROSE BOWL PARADE & COASTAL CALIFORNIA" TRIP REPORT (w/pics & video)- DEC '13
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N ENGLAND, SCOTLAND & WALES" TRIP REPORT - August '14 (w/pics & video)
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....errerid=208040
MY "ADVENTURES N DISNEYLAND, CATALINA ISLAND & OTHER ASSORTED SO CAL STUFF" PRE-TRIPPY REPORT; CHRISTMAS / NYE 2014
MY "ADVENTURES N WALT DISNEY WORLD & NASSAU BAHAMAS OVeR CHRISTMAS /NYE 2015" PRE-TRIPPY REPORT
knewton64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:34 AM   #15
iheartglaciers
Mouseketeer

I went in July and it was amazing! I am a big Harry Potter fan so it was no question that I'd go, but was still a little skeptical whether it was worth the price and time. However I was completely blown away!

I booked a bus trip with Golden Tours. The 5pm and 6pm entrance times are discounted. Plus if you stick the trip in your shopping cart and don't checkout, wait a few days and you'll get an additional 5% coupon in your email! (You'll get one reminder email without a coupon and then a second with a coupon a few days later).

The bus tour gives you approx 3.5 hours, we took about 3 hours to see everything. Though I can see how someone could spend more time there. I didn't do the audio your but kind of wished I did.

It sounds like the train option is pretty easy. The downside to the bus is that you can hit traffic and there's no AC. Not usually a problem but we were there during a heat wave and it was like a sauna on there!
iheartglaciers is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: