Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2012, 08:28 AM   #16
preedymtnwest
Mouseketeer

Hi everyone! I'm writing to you from our motor coach on our way from Philly to DC! Maria says it's the very first coach to feature wifi!! (Well, probably the first ABD coach to feature wifi.) We're watching National Treasure, of course, which I've seen about 10 times, but many onboard haven't, surprisingly, so they're in for a treat. Yesterday, on our tour of Philly, we kept pointing out places from the movie to each other. My oldest even realized that part of it was probably shot in the Reading Market when we stopped there for lunch. So cool for them to put the history and the movie with the real places. How humbling to stand in the room where the Declaration and Constitution were signed.

Besides the heat, which even Disney can't control , everything has been wonderful. It's so nice to just show up and enjoy everything and have all the details taken care of. It will be hard to go back to "normal" travel.

Maria and Trish are fabulous. You're right, Disney doesn't have any official plans for the 4th, but Trish was a park ranger on the Mall for a year, and will conveniently be finding us a good spot to watch the fireworks from, and we can tag along if we'd like, which sounds good to me.

Well, no spilling the beans on the "extras," so I'll end here for now. We're heading into a very hot area which just experienced severe storms, but I guess the Mayflower has power and our DC guides say everything will be fine. Looking forward to kayaking this afternoon, but not the heat (around 100).

TTFN!
Old 07-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #17
tchrrx
Blame it on the plastic cow I mentioned on another board
That's right.... I sucked a plastic cow

I am so glad that your trip is going well. I was afraid that the storms may have affected you. Give Maria a big hug from Kevin, Holly, & Tiffany. We miss her already! (And, of course, we love Trish too. We just haven't seen her as recently. )

2006- WDW CR (DD's 1st trip & my parents came) 2007- WDW SSR (1st trip 'home' & suprise trip for DD) 2008- WDW SSR (surprised DD w/her aunt) 2009- WDW SSR (inlaws) 2010- Our 1st ABD (Spirit of America) 2011- WDW SSR & BLT and our 1st Cruise (Disney Dream) 2012- WDW BLT (DD's surprise birthday trip); ABD Southwest Splendors 2013- DL GCV (Our 1st DL trip); Disney's Vero Beach; Disney Fantasy 2014- ABD Costa Rica
tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-01-2012, 09:52 PM   #18
preedymtnwest
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchrrx View Post
I am so glad that your trip is going well. I was afraid that the storms may have affected you. Give Maria a big hug from Kevin, Holly, & Tiffany. We miss her already! (And, of course, we love Trish too. We just haven't seen her as recently. )
Thank, tchrrx! I will pass that message on to Maria, but she just might get it herself - she mentioned today that she had been reading my posts! Duh, makes sense to me now!

Anyway, we kayaked today and it was really fun. I was a little worried - not only how miserable I might be in the heat, but also about fitting into a kayak since I'm Pooh-sized and carry a lot in my hips. Maria was wonderful about making sure it would be okay and that any "issues" would be handled discreetly. I had to squeeze a little to get past the lip, but all was fine and we had a great time kayaking for about 90 minutes at a leisurely pace around Roosevelt Island. It was a unique vantage point to see the Watergate Hotel, Kennedy Center, Washington Monument and Lincoln Memorial from. And I swear it felt 10 degrees cooler just being on the water.

We started our learnin' with Greg, who will be with us the rest of the week, and he's a native and so knowlegeable. After kayaking, we stopped at the Jefferson and Martin Luther King Jr. Memorials (another first for our trip - first to visit the Dr. King Memorial which was very moving in its symbolism and such a wonderful contrast to the Jefferson). Between the kayaking and scorching visits to the memorials, I felt a soppy mess, so took a shower first thing when we got to our room. The Mayflower is magnificent - even my kids noticed how grand it is, and they're usually pretty non-plussed.

We had a delicious Italian dinner a few blocks away at Bertucci's, on the recommendation of Maria - definitely a winner. But it's another busy day tomorrow - think I'd better hit the hay.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #19
LionKingRules84
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by preedymtnwest View Post
Hi everyone! I'm writing to you from our motor coach on our way from Philly to DC! Maria says it's the very first coach to feature wifi!! (Well, probably the first ABD coach to feature wifi.) We're watching National Treasure, of course, which I've seen about 10 times, but many onboard haven't, surprisingly, so they're in for a treat. Yesterday, on our tour of Philly, we kept pointing out places from the movie to each other. My oldest even realized that part of it was probably shot in the Reading Market when we stopped there for lunch. So cool for them to put the history and the movie with the real places. How humbling to stand in the room where the Declaration and Constitution were signed.

Besides the heat, which even Disney can't control , everything has been wonderful. It's so nice to just show up and enjoy everything and have all the details taken care of. It will be hard to go back to "normal" travel.

Maria and Trish are fabulous. You're right, Disney doesn't have any official plans for the 4th, but Trish was a park ranger on the Mall for a year, and will conveniently be finding us a good spot to watch the fireworks from, and we can tag along if we'd like, which sounds good to me.

Well, no spilling the beans on the "extras," so I'll end here for now. We're heading into a very hot area which just experienced severe storms, but I guess the Mayflower has power and our DC guides say everything will be fine. Looking forward to kayaking this afternoon, but not the heat (around 100).

TTFN!
Nice to hear you enjoyed your time in Philly! Living here I often forget how much history of our country is here. I was going to mention 'National Treasure' but since it is a Disney movie I figured it would be mentioned at some point. Glad you made it to Reading Terminal Market, great choice for lunch! Sorry for the heat but I assure you the residents of the city weren't enjoying it either! I couldn't even sleep last night from the heat.
Enjoy the 4th in Washington D.C. I know they do a pretty amazing job with celebrations and fireworks for the fourth. Penns Landing here already had their fireworks saturday and the big fireworks show at the Art Museum is on the Fourth.

CR 1986
CBR October 1991
CBR October 1994
CSR September 2007 13 years is much too long trip report!
DIS Unplugged Exclusive Knights and Lights ABD October 2012
Swan August 2013 & DIS Cruise 1.0 on RCCL Oasis
LionKingRules84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #20
preedymtnwest
Mouseketeer

Yesterday's tour of Arlington National Cemetery and Iwo Jima was interesting and sobering. Greg, our local guide, adds so much richness to the experience and is always available to answer questions as they come up. I literally thought I was going to melt while watching the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, but from conversations later (and some heel clicking and sharp turns ), it was clear that it had made an impression on my kids.

After a lovely barbecue at a marina (under canopies, thankfully!), we stopped at the Capitol for a group photo op and to "earn" the day's pin. Our family chose, as many others did, to take advantage of timed-entry tickets to the National Holocaust Museum, very kindly per-arranged by ABD, so that we didn't have to get up early and stand in line for them. Another worthwhile and sobering experience, in a different way than the cemetery.

I'm constantly noticing how much easier it is to travel like this. Someone else runs ahead and grabs tickets for us. Someone else does the driving (thanks, Fred!) so we can all look out the windows and we get dropped off at our destinations as close as possible. Someone else worries about having snacks and water. The knowledge of the guides and collective knowledge of our fellow travelers enriches the experience and helps keep our kids engaged. I'm sure we would have only attempted half of these things without all that support.

I lived in this area before and have been to most of these places, but I could never have shared them with my family this way on my own! Love Disney!

Almost to Monticello!
Old 07-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #21
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Yesterday's tour of Arlington National Cemetery and Iwo Jima was interesting and sobering. Greg, our local guide, adds so much richness to the experience and is always available to answer questions as they come up. I literally thought I was going to melt while watching the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, but from conversations later (and some heel clicking and sharp turns ), it was clear that it had made an impression on my kids.

After a lovely barbecue at a marina (under canopies, thankfully!), we stopped at the Capitol for a group photo op and to "earn" the day's pin. Our family chose, as many others did, to take advantage of timed-entry tickets to the National Holocaust Museum, very kindly per-arranged by ABD, so that we didn't have to get up early and stand in line for them. Another worthwhile and sobering experience, in a different way than the cemetery.

I'm constantly noticing how much easier it is to travel like this. Someone else runs ahead and grabs tickets for us. Someone else does the driving (thanks, Fred!) so we can all look out the windows and we get dropped off at our destinations as close as possible. Someone else worries about having snacks and water. The knowledge of the guides and collective knowledge of our fellow travelers enriches the experience and helps keep our kids engaged. I'm sure we would have only attempted half of these things without all that support.

I lived in this area before and have been to most of these places, but I could never have shared them with my family this way on my own! Love Disney!

Almost to Monticello!
I'm loving reading about your trip! I'm doing this trip next May, and the more I read, the better it sounds! Do you know if the Holocaust museum tickets is something they do for every trip? Because I absolutely, positively want to do that.

I've never kayaked before, so I'm looking forward to that, too.

Enjoy your 4th of July! Looking forward to more Report!

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:27 AM   #22
EDuke98080
Have a Magical Day!
Survived the 'Sweet Baby Jesus" drive

Location: Western MA home of the Big Y, the Big E and cider donuts

Hi! My family is booked for this trip next May as well. Love reading about it, sounds awesome! Will be our first ABD trip, so excited!

Treehouse Villas, Dec 11/Jan 12, Treehouse Villas Dec 10/Jan 11, SSR Dec 09/Jan 10, SSR Dec 08/Jan 09, Wonder 3 Night Jan 08, SSR Dec 07/Jan 08, Grand Californian June 2007, SSR March 2007, Omni Dec 06/Jan 07, SSR March 2005, Beach Club / 3 Night Cruise March 2004, Hilton Head Island Easter 2003, Boardwalk Villas March 2002, Boardwalk Villas March 2001

DVC Member 2000
EDuke98080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #23
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDuke98080 View Post
Hi! My family is booked for this trip next May as well. Love reading about it, sounds awesome! Will be our first ABD trip, so excited!
Welcome, EDuke9080! Looking forward to getting to know you & your family! You're going to love ABD!!!!

Sayhello
Old 07-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #24
preedymtnwest
Mouseketeer

I'm loving reading about your trip! I'm doing this trip next May, and the more I read, the better it sounds! Do you know if the Holocaust museum tickets is something they do for every trip? Because I absolutely, positively want to do that.

I'm not sure if it's an always thing to get the Holocaust Museum tix, but it sounded like something they were going to try, and almost all of us on our tour (20) took advantage of it. Hopefully they'll continue it next year if they get good response this season.

Sorry it's been awhile since I posted - after Monticello, I had trouble getting the wifi on the coach to work - I was connected, but it wasn't going to the Internet. Maria said she'd had problems, too, but we may have been the only ones trying to log on. Maybe the heat (OMG, the heat ) overheated whatever "hot spot" (no pun intended) they had on the coach. In any case, I wasn't going to pay for the hotel wifi in our room, and was too tired to hangout in the lobby (as lovely as it was) at the end of the day to post.

Monticello was great - I've been there before, but this time we got to do the "behind the scenes" tour in addition to the regular tour - the only problem was that there was some miscommunication with the docents, and we ended up waiting outside on a very warm porch for 30-45 minutes and missed doing some other things. But I did like seeing more of the house, and especially being in the beautiful cupola at the top of the house. It was a long ride to and from Monticello, but Maria and Trish kept us occupied with games, etc. I think that night the "senior" adventurers got to have a nice dinner together at the Mayflower on Disney while the "junior" adventurers had a meal together and watched a movie - that was fun.

The next day was the 4th, and we were scheduled to go to Gettysburg. There is a new (since I was there in 1987) visitor's center that had a fabulous museum section (which we didn't really have enough time for) as well as a movie and amazing diorama which depicts the 3-day battle - very moving experience, as odd as that sounds. After the diorama, we went to the Soldiers' Cemetery area, where Greg pointed out the many memorials, and filled us in on more history. On the bus, Trish had helped us dissect and understand the significance of the Gettysburg Address, which really made the experience more meaningful for me. I had talked with Maria and Greg before our visit about visiting my grandparents' gravesite there (my paternal grandfather, who died before I was born, was a WWI veteran); my grandmother lived with my family for 20 years while I was growing up. They were very accommodating, and Greg made sure that we practically walked right by my grandparents' gravesite on our way to lunch at Dobbins House. It was a very special thing to me to be able to do that with my kids, who never met either of them.

After lunch, we picked up a battlefield guide, whose name I believe was Ed. This was another highlight of the trip for me - Fred drove the coach around to various places and Ed would narrate and tell us about the battles. We'd jump off at certain points and Ed would illustrate for us what happened at that particular point in the battle and it really brought the history to life; here we were, imagining ourselves to be Confederate soldiers, standing shoulder to shoulder, marching towards the Union Army, who we could see right across the field in front of us. Awesome!

On our return to Washington and the Mayflower, we made arrangements to meet in the lobby to walk to see the fireworks. Trish and Maria led us right down the street about .7 miles (with the throngs of people doing the same thing we were), and we plopped down on the Red Cross building lawn and had a great view of the fireworks over the top of the DAR building across the street. It may not have been the "special viewing platform" that one of our group had been promised by the ABD Vacationistas, but it was pretty painless and a great experience.

Our last full day was spent stopping for a quick photo-op at the White House, then travelling the short distance to Mount Vernon, which is another lovely spot filled with much historical significance and information about just how interesting George Washington was as a person. On the way back, we stopped at the Lincoln Memorial for some quick photos, then we were dropped off at a location of our choice; we picked the Natural History Museum and enjoyed the gemstones and minerals until our feet just couldn't take anymore, and we went back to the hotel for the fun and bittersweet farewell dinner - it was hard to believe the week was over already.

Some general notes, observations, and opinions - there was never enough time available to spend at some of the major sites (Monticello, Gettysburg, etc.) to feel like I had thoroughly experienced them. HOWEVER, there was no way we could have seen as much as we did if we hadn't kept to the schedule laid out for us. I now feel like I have the lay of the land and we could return on our own and be able to get around and pick which things we'd like to do more of. And I definitely think our kids got a sense of what we wanted them to experience; they have both offered unsolicited thanks for bringing them on this trip, and that is priceless!

I do recommend tagging some extra time onto your trip if you're able. We did the two days ahead in Philly offered at extra cost and thoroughly enjoyed our day in Harrisburg and Hershey, as well as a great afternoon at The Franklin Institute before our welcome dinner. Also, with the time change for us, it was nice to get acclimated before we had "early" mornings to commit to. We stayed at the Mayflower on our own two extra nights - we were lucky they fell on a Friday and Saturday, as they have reasonable weekend rates, but they went up significantly during the week, so we (reluctantly) checked out Sunday and came down to Williamsburg and the Great Wolf Lodge - we did Williamsburg this afternoon and it was fabulous - I just wish we would have gotten an earlier start. We used our extra days in DC to do the Air and Space Museum, and "made" the boys spend a little time in the National Gallery of Art before we rode the Metro to the Marine Barracks for the Evening Parade. We also took in a special exhibit "Art of the Video Game" at the Portrait Gallery and drove out to Chantilly to meet up with our niece's husband for dinner and a quick run through of the Udvar-Hazy museum at Dulles (fabulous and different than Air and Space on the Mall). The extra time allowed us to squeeze in a couple more things - the "afternoons on your own" are limited and we were often pretty wiped out, but one of the amazing things about the Smithsonian venues is that they're all free - if you only get there for an hour, no big deal, you can come back another time.

We did things that we wouldn't have done on our own, like kayaking; I hope it encourages us to be more adventuresome on future trips. It showed me how much a guide or guides can enhance your experience over trying to wander around on your own; it's great to explore on your own, but we would have lost the kids' interest pretty quickly and I would not have gotten as much out of the trip myself, either.

After all my concerns about safety, I felt very comfortable navigating for ourselves and I feel like a bit of a DC subway expert now! We used it quite a bit, due to the heat; I would have preferred to walk more above ground and see the sights, but it was a welcome respite from the burning sidewalks, especially when we were tired at the end of the day.

So, I'm starting to wind down myself now, and DH and the DSs will be back from the water park soon. This trip has been pretty much all I wanted and expected it to be, and more. The only thing I would change is the weather - I know it sounds like I whine about it a lot, but it definitely affected how much and what we felt like doing - I heard it set a new record for longest consecutive days above 95 degrees. My oldest DS has vowed he will never come back here in summer again.

That's all I can think of right now; feel free to ask any specific questions you might have and I'll try to answer them in a timely fashion (but be warned I'm going on an Alaska DCL in mid-August with my DSis and her family and will be lurking on the DCL forum a lot in the near future - DSis tried to get me to work on cruise planning before this trip but I just couldn't do both at once, so I will be back at it as soon as I get home!).

I'm excited for those of you who are planning your future ABD trips! Good luck and have a wonderful time!
Old 07-12-2012, 09:05 PM   #25
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

Spirit of America May 2013

Count me in for the May 2013 trip. My friend, Brenda, will also be travelling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionKingRules84 View Post
Nice to hear you enjoyed your time in Philly! Living here I often forget how much history of our country is here. I was going to mention 'National Treasure' but since it is a Disney movie I figured it would be mentioned at some point. Glad you made it to Reading Terminal Market, great choice for lunch! Sorry for the heat but I assure you the residents of the city weren't enjoying it either! I couldn't even sleep last night from the heat.
Enjoy the 4th in Washington D.C. I know they do a pretty amazing job with celebrations and fireworks for the fourth. Penns Landing here already had their fireworks saturday and the big fireworks show at the Art Museum is on the Fourth.
Thank you for your insight. I think we are going to go a day (hopefully two) earlier so we can visit some sites in Philadelphia. I have never been to the East Coast, and am interested in seeing all of the historical sites.

Quote:
I'm excited for those of you who are planning your future ABD trips! Good luck and have a wonderful time!
Thank you for your report. I'm trying not to read the details because I want to be surprised, but at the same time, I want to know what we're going to visit.
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:01 PM   #26
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Jo View Post
Count me in for the May 2013 trip. My friend, Brenda, will also be travelling.
Oh, cool, Mary Jo! I look forward to meeting & getting to know you in RL!

Quote:
Thank you for your insight. I think we are going to go a day (hopefully two) earlier so we can visit some sites in Philadelphia. I have never been to the East Coast, and am interested in seeing all of the historical sites.
I'm coming in a few days early, partly to visit my kid brother & his family, but I'd also like to visit some extra sites in Philly, too!

Quote:
Thank you for your report. I'm trying not to read the details because I want to be surprised, but at the same time, I want to know what we're going to visit.
It's a fine line between too much info and dying to know!

Sayhello
Old 07-13-2012, 12:21 AM   #27
EDuke98080
Have a Magical Day!
Survived the 'Sweet Baby Jesus" drive

Location: Western MA home of the Big Y, the Big E and cider donuts

Hi MJ! (and Brenda!)

Can't wait to meet you all

Treehouse Villas, Dec 11/Jan 12, Treehouse Villas Dec 10/Jan 11, SSR Dec 09/Jan 10, SSR Dec 08/Jan 09, Wonder 3 Night Jan 08, SSR Dec 07/Jan 08, Grand Californian June 2007, SSR March 2007, Omni Dec 06/Jan 07, SSR March 2005, Beach Club / 3 Night Cruise March 2004, Hilton Head Island Easter 2003, Boardwalk Villas March 2002, Boardwalk Villas March 2001

DVC Member 2000
EDuke98080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:50 AM   #28
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDuke98080 View Post
Hi MJ! (and Brenda!)

Can't wait to meet you all
Woot!!!

I wonder how many DISers will be on the trip?

SayHello
Erika and family
Mary Jo & Brenda
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:42 AM   #29
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Jo View Post
Woot!!!

I wonder how many DISers will be on the trip?

SayHello
Erika and family
Mary Jo & Brenda
I'm not sure how many people Erika's "family" represents! Yay! I guess once we get a thread on the DIS ABD sub-forum, we'll know who all has signed up for this trip.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to a trip that involves no time change or jet lag!!!!

Sayhello

Last edited by sayhello; 07-13-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:42 AM   #30
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

I posted this over at the Podcast thread, but I thought I'd post this here, too.

I was watching "Sunday Morning" just now, and they had a piece about the Civil War battle of Antietam which was 150 years ago today. And I realized we're going to be at Gettysburg about 4 1/2 weeks before the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg! I wonder if anything special will be going on for the Anniversary?

I'm going to have to do some research & see if it's an anniversary anywhere else we're going to be while on this trip!

Sayhello

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: