Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #46
WeLoveABD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
It is the first Greece trip of the year. I guess it's entirely possible they are changing the itinerary. I'll let you know what it says when I get it!

Sayhello
I'd be very interested in any changes too-we gave our HO on a couple of things at the end of our trip last year (just to make your trip more special SayHello !)
ABD: Scotland (2014), Greece (06/12), Peru (08/11), Germany (12/09), Knights & Lights (12/08), China (06/08), Italy (06/07). DCL: 7 night Alaska Cruise Disney Wonder (7/13), 5 night Xmas Cruise Disney Dream (12/12), 12 night Baltic Disney Magic (06/10), 10-Night Mediterranean Cruise Barcelona, Disney Magic (06/07) Mexican Riveria Cruise Disney Magic (06/05), 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Disney Magic (05/02), 7-Night Vacation Pkg : 4-Night resort and 3-Night cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic (05/99). Hong Kong Disneyland (2008), Paris Disneyland (2008), WDW a few and Disneyland 100+; D23 Charter Member. And completely unbiased!
WeLoveABD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:12 AM   #47
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo912 View Post
I forgot my booklet and the guides did have an extra one, but I think I was probably lucky. That is when he told me about the changes. I forgot my luggage tags too and they didn't have any extras. I don't usually forget anything like that, but I blame it on there being so little in the box this time. I wasn't going to bring the travel pillow/blanket with me, so the box just got shoved in the closet with the booklet and tags still inside. I'll do better next time.
That's interesting about the luggage tags. I don't remember getting luggage tags ahead of time for ABD. They were usually given to us when we arrived. When did they start doing that? Or have I just not been on an ABD where that was done?

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-26-2013, 11:14 AM   #48
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLoveABD View Post
I'd be very interested in any changes too-we gave our HO on a couple of things at the end of our trip last year (just to make your trip more special SayHello !)
Depending on how long it is, I'll try to scan the itinerary & post it here. Then you guys can compare it to what you got, and let me know what's changed!

And thanks for thinking about me .

Sayhello
Old 04-26-2013, 11:16 AM   #49
Bobo912
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That's interesting about the luggage tags. I don't remember getting luggage tags ahead of time for ABD. They were usually given to us when we arrived. When did they start doing that? Or have I just not been on an ABD where that was done?

Sayhello
It's just the paper tag with all the little squares on the back where they write you hotel room numbers. They've always had those. They used to have Mickey luggage tags that was one of the goodies you received when you arrived, along with the duffle, but they don't have those anymore.

ETA: This is the tag I was referring to:

Last edited by Bobo912; 04-27-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Bobo912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:03 PM   #50
DisneyCruisin'
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That's kind of sad. It was part of the fun of arriving to see what the little presents were going to be. And what do they do if someone forgets the booklet? I can't imagine that was that big of an expense.

Sayhello
Major bummer! We liked the little surprises when we got there!

DisneyCruisin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:16 PM   #51
SingingMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyCruisin' View Post

Major bummer! We liked the little surprises when we got there!
Us too! Except, we were joking about our July trip coming up, saying we really didnt need THREE more metal water bottles, since we got them last year AND on the AK Wild Africa Trek tour in January. Lol

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

08/76 Fort Wilderness, 09/85 off site, 03/87 off site, 10/91 POFQ, 9/96 Dixie Landings, 07/14-21/01 Disney Magic Cruise! 6/22-7/01/06 Dolphin, 6/22-30/07 Dolphin 6/24-7/02/08 Dolphin, 6/23-7/01/2009 Dolphin, FIVE-PEAT 6/2010 Dolphin! 5/14-21/12 ABD City of Knights & Lights, 1/8-16/13 Dolphin, 7/14-7/22/13 Once Upon a Fairytale and 1/2014 Dolphin
SingingMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:18 AM   #52
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo912 View Post
It's just the paper tag with all the little squares on the back where they write you hotel room numbers. They've always had those. They used to have Mickey luggage tags that was one of the goodies you received when you arrived, along with the duffle, but they don't have those anymore.

ETA: This is the tag I was referring to:

I don't remember getting that ahead of time, though. The Guides filled it out & put it on our luggage. But I didn't do an ABD last year...

Sayhello
Old 04-28-2013, 10:21 AM   #53
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

So I like to arrive in a foreign country with a certain amount of their currency already in my pocket. Heaven forbid my ATM card didn't work for some reason... Any suggestions on how much would be good for one person with 2 pre-days and one post-day? Did you guys tip the Guides in US dollars or euros? Obviously, for the Guide from Greece it would be euros, but how about the other Guide? In my case, this will be Landon.

Thanks!
Sayhello
Old 04-29-2013, 09:39 PM   #54
WeLoveABD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So I like to arrive in a foreign country with a certain amount of their currency already in my pocket. Heaven forbid my ATM card didn't work for some reason... Any suggestions on how much would be good for one person with 2 pre-days and one post-day? Did you guys tip the Guides in US dollars or euros? Obviously, for the Guide from Greece it would be euros, but how about the other Guide? In my case, this will be Landon.

Thanks!
Sayhello
Depends on where you are getting your currency--we get ours from a TravelEx in a nearby mall--they offer different packages for currency, with the more you buy the less the admin costs. I start by assuming we'll be paying the max suggested in tips so I determine that and what I'll need for cash where credit is not available--if it all works out with the least admin costs from the currency store, I'll just plan to have envelopes set aside for the two guides. I also bring US bills too (maybe $300 or so)--and roughly $50/day per person for days I'll be on my own in the foreign country in that currency. That worked out fine for Greece--had money for taxi rides (very cheap), for coffee, lunches at stands or local fast food type shops or museum cafes, tips--and purchased the hop on tickets in advance. If I ran low on the foreign currency I dipped into the guide tip money--and replaced it later with US dollars (I think the US and the local guide both are fine with either local or US currency).

This way I can cover all my basis--store most of the currency (US and foreign/tip envelopes) into the hotel safe, and carry one credit card and walk around money. We have a couple of credit cards we rarely use--so we save them for trips (having one as a backup). We have so many bills paid automatically using our credit union credit card that we don't bring that with us--if it were to get stolen then we have to change all of those accounts to the new card.

If you know folks who have traveled try asking them for euros--you can offer to buy at the current rate; they get rid of extra non-spendable coins/bills and you get a better rate for the currency!

Thus endeth my money tips for the day.
ABD: Scotland (2014), Greece (06/12), Peru (08/11), Germany (12/09), Knights & Lights (12/08), China (06/08), Italy (06/07). DCL: 7 night Alaska Cruise Disney Wonder (7/13), 5 night Xmas Cruise Disney Dream (12/12), 12 night Baltic Disney Magic (06/10), 10-Night Mediterranean Cruise Barcelona, Disney Magic (06/07) Mexican Riveria Cruise Disney Magic (06/05), 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Disney Magic (05/02), 7-Night Vacation Pkg : 4-Night resort and 3-Night cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic (05/99). Hong Kong Disneyland (2008), Paris Disneyland (2008), WDW a few and Disneyland 100+; D23 Charter Member. And completely unbiased!
Old 04-29-2013, 11:19 PM   #55
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Depends on where you are getting your currency--we get ours from a TravelEx in a nearby mall--they offer different packages for currency, with the more you buy the less the admin costs. I start by assuming we'll be paying the max suggested in tips so I determine that and what I'll need for cash where credit is not available--if it all works out with the least admin costs from the currency store, I'll just plan to have envelopes set aside for the two guides. I also bring US bills too (maybe $300 or so)--and roughly $50/day per person for days I'll be on my own in the foreign country in that currency. That worked out fine for Greece--had money for taxi rides (very cheap), for coffee, lunches at stands or local fast food type shops or museum cafes, tips--and purchased the hop on tickets in advance. If I ran low on the foreign currency I dipped into the guide tip money--and replaced it later with US dollars (I think the US and the local guide both are fine with either local or US currency).

This way I can cover all my basis--store most of the currency (US and foreign/tip envelopes) into the hotel safe, and carry one credit card and walk around money. We have a couple of credit cards we rarely use--so we save them for trips (having one as a backup). We have so many bills paid automatically using our credit union credit card that we don't bring that with us--if it were to get stolen then we have to change all of those accounts to the new card.

If you know folks who have traveled try asking them for euros--you can offer to buy at the current rate; they get rid of extra non-spendable coins/bills and you get a better rate for the currency!

Thus endeth my money tips for the day.
Thanks, WeLoveABD. That sounds like a good plan! My local bank exchanges currency for me with no admin fees. So I don't have to worry about that aspect. I have one tour I'm sharing that I'll have to pay in cash, and the Guide's tips. But I'm so used to living mostly cashless these days! I tend to mostly live off my Debit card, or my credit card that gets paid off every month. Trying to figure how much cash to have, plus in a foreign currency, is proving to be a bit daunting.

Sayhello
Old 05-07-2013, 11:19 AM   #56
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

2 weeks!

Sayhello
Old 05-07-2013, 06:13 PM   #57
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....

Quote:
2 weeks!

Sayhello
So exciting!!

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 6/14
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:53 PM   #58
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

A little over 3 days to go!!!! Now, let's just hope the anibiotics work, and I get over my bronchitis!!! At least I got sick this week and not next week. (My doctor says I should be good.)

I am so looking forward to this!

Sayhello
Old 05-17-2013, 09:48 PM   #59
WeLoveABD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
A little over 3 days to go!!!! Now, let's just hope the anibiotics work, and I get over my bronchitis!!! At least I got sick this week and not next week. (My doctor says I should be good.)

I am so looking forward to this!

Sayhello
enjoy enjoy enjoy! (Were you able to read The Island, or are you saving that for the flight?)
Old 05-17-2013, 10:28 PM   #60
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
enjoy enjoy enjoy! (Were you able to read The Island, or are you saving that for the flight?)
Thanks WeLoveABD! I'm about 1/3 of the way through "The Island". Really enjoying it, and it's definitely making me look forward to seeing Spinalonga even more! Thanks so much for the recommendation.

Still no clue what to pack. I'll just have to go for it...

Sayhello

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: