Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2012, 08:25 PM   #16
JacksGirlz
DIS Veteran

Rescheduled for summer 2013

We were scheduled for our first ABD to Egypt but that was canceled this week so we have rescheduled for Once Upon a Fairytale Germany (June 21 - 29) followed by the ABD to Ireland (July 2 - 9). It will be myself and my DD who will be turning 15 on July 1st.
I figured that since we're paying for such an expensive flight we should make it worth our while. Planning to arrive 1 day early on June 20th and stay one day later until June 30th when we'll head to Dublin.
Does anyone have suggestions for where to go/what to see on our pre and post days (Frankfurt and Munich)?
Thank you.

May 2006- Wilderness Lodge-1st trip to WDW, December 2006- Pop Century, October 2007- SSR and MNSSHP, November 2007- 1st Disney Cruise , January 2008 - SSR, Boardwalk, October 2008 - Pop Century and MNSSHP, March 2009 - Pop Century, May 2009 - VWL, December 2010-Pop Century and 1st MVMCP, March 2011- Disney Dream and SSR, January 2012 - Disney Wonder, March 2012 - Disney Magic and POR Royal Guest Room, March 2013 - Disney Fantasy and AofA Resort Little Mermaid Room, June 2013 - ABD Germany, Once Upon a Fairytale, July 2013 - ABD - Ireland, the Emerald Isle, August 2013 - Disney Wonder, July 2014 - DIS Exclusive Backstage Magic ABD
JacksGirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:53 PM   #17
tufbuf
Disney Addict!

Fun!! Sorry to hear about your cancelation, but like you said, now you have two ABDs to look forward too! So cool!! We are also thinking of Germany, in August though (using dvc pts), and we are thinking of a day trip to Salzburg (from Munich) at the end of the ABD. I believe WeLoveABD suggested that.

ABD-2014(Ireland/Scotland),2013(CR),2012(Greece/Alpine Magic),2011 (Peru & Ecuador),2010 (SWS),2009 (CKL),2008 (VI); DCL-2007 (DW 3n),2008 (DM 7n WC),2010 (11n Med),2011 (DD 3n,7n MR,DD 4n),2012 (DFMV 7nWC,5nCan DM,5n DD),2013(3n DD,12n Med DM),2014(DD4n,DF7n NYE),DParis 09/09-WDW (Boardwalk) 12/06-DL (Grand Californian) 09/05-WDW (AK Lodge) 10/04 WDW (Coronado Springs) 06/03-DL 09/00-WDW (All Star Music) 10/98-WDW (Port Orleans) 11/97-DL Jun92
tufbuf is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-20-2012, 06:36 AM   #18
Boardwalk_bride
Married in WDW :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksGirlz View Post
Does anyone have suggestions for where to go/what to see on our pre and post days (Frankfurt and Munich)?
Thank you.
Sorry to hear Egypt was cancelled. I was looking forward to reading TRs for that one! I am sure you will have an amazing time on the other trips though!

We just were in Munich in the spring. We spent most of the time going on day trips to places ABD goes anyway. Other things we did that I would recommend were:

Sandemans Free Walking Tour: http://www.newmunichtours.com/daily-...free-tour.html

I would highly recommend this! They do expect a tip, otherwise it is free. Our tour started with 3 guides (all were great, but warning, none were German) and than we split up into smaller groups. Good way to learn about the 'hidden monuments' in Munich. We also did a beer tour with them, but I guess you couldn't do that anyway.

Residenz Museum: http://www.residenz-muenchen.de/engl...seum/index.htm

I am not a museum person, but I thought this place was amazing! I think even a teenager (especially a girl) would love it!

Hofbrauhaus: http://www.hofbraeuhaus.de/en/index_en.html

I think ABD might already take you there, but if not, make sure to go!

Viktualienmarkt (Farmers Market): http://www.viator.com/Munich-attract...arkt/d487-a606

The farmers market is so much fun! There are so many good places to eat (and drink if you want!) and it is a great way to watch locals, grab cheap souvenirs, and a good photo opportunity. It is also right by the main square.

If you have enough time, there are also many tour companies that offer day trips to Salzburg. We didn't take one, since we stayed in Salzburg on our own for a few nights, but if you have time to go and haven't been, I would highly recommend going!
Old 09-20-2012, 10:11 AM   #19
JacksGirlz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardwalk_bride View Post
Sorry to hear Egypt was cancelled. I was looking forward to reading TRs for that one! I am sure you will have an amazing time on the other trips though!

We just were in Munich in the spring. We spent most of the time going on day trips to places ABD goes anyway. Other things we did that I would recommend were:

Sandemans Free Walking Tour: http://www.newmunichtours.com/daily-...free-tour.html

I would highly recommend this! They do expect a tip, otherwise it is free. Our tour started with 3 guides (all were great, but warning, none were German) and than we split up into smaller groups. Good way to learn about the 'hidden monuments' in Munich. We also did a beer tour with them, but I guess you couldn't do that anyway.

Residenz Museum: http://www.residenz-muenchen.de/engl...seum/index.htm

I am not a museum person, but I thought this place was amazing! I think even a teenager (especially a girl) would love it!

Hofbrauhaus: http://www.hofbraeuhaus.de/en/index_en.html

I think ABD might already take you there, but if not, make sure to go!

Viktualienmarkt (Farmers Market): http://www.viator.com/Munich-attract...arkt/d487-a606

The farmers market is so much fun! There are so many good places to eat (and drink if you want!) and it is a great way to watch locals, grab cheap souvenirs, and a good photo opportunity. It is also right by the main square.

If you have enough time, there are also many tour companies that offer day trips to Salzburg. We didn't take one, since we stayed in Salzburg on our own for a few nights, but if you have time to go and haven't been, I would highly recommend going!
Thank you so much for your suggestions. The museum looks amazing. ABD does take you for dinner at the Hofbrauhaus on the last night of the trip. Last night I found the Sandemans Free Walking Tours site for Dublin and saw that they do this in many European cities. Thanks for the heads up that they do this in Munich, though. I missed seeing that city as one they do tours in.

And tufbuf, I am now looking into day trips to Salzburg too.

May 2006- Wilderness Lodge-1st trip to WDW, December 2006- Pop Century, October 2007- SSR and MNSSHP, November 2007- 1st Disney Cruise , January 2008 - SSR, Boardwalk, October 2008 - Pop Century and MNSSHP, March 2009 - Pop Century, May 2009 - VWL, December 2010-Pop Century and 1st MVMCP, March 2011- Disney Dream and SSR, January 2012 - Disney Wonder, March 2012 - Disney Magic and POR Royal Guest Room, March 2013 - Disney Fantasy and AofA Resort Little Mermaid Room, June 2013 - ABD Germany, Once Upon a Fairytale, July 2013 - ABD - Ireland, the Emerald Isle, August 2013 - Disney Wonder, July 2014 - DIS Exclusive Backstage Magic ABD
Old 09-22-2012, 07:42 AM   #20
Boardwalk_bride
Married in WDW :)

If you need a place to stay in Munich I would HIGHLY recommend Pension Lindner: http://www.pension-lindner.com/index1.htm

The price and location are unbeatable, and the breakfast is amazing! It is a B&B though, and highly rated, so it sells out fast (we booked 6 months ahead). It is less than a 5 min walk to Marienplatz (the main square) and nearly bordering on the market. It is also under 15 mins to walk to the main train station (where many tours leave from) and short walking distance to many museums.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:40 PM   #21
JacksGirlz
DIS Veteran

Finished rebooking all of my air flights, Portland to New York, New York to Frankfurt, Munich to Dublin, Shannon to New York and New York back home to Portland. Whew!
I have spent time these last few days looking at the ideas provided here on the boards for Munich and now I wish I had more time. Will be hard to pick what we should do on our extra day in Munich.
Thank you again for your ideas.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:54 AM   #22
WeLoveABD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Finished rebooking all of my air flights, Portland to New York, New York to Frankfurt, Munich to Dublin, Shannon to New York and New York back home to Portland. Whew!
I have spent time these last few days looking at the ideas provided here on the boards for Munich and now I wish I had more time. Will be hard to pick what we should do on our extra day in Munich.
Thank you again for your ideas.
We really enjoyed the day in Salzberg (it was an ABD Christmas Markets trip to Germany--I see they aren't doing it again,which is too bad as the winter feel was great--as were the markets). From the Munich hotel it was a quick walk to the tram, which got you to the train station--and a straight shot by train to Salzberg, which was walk-able from that city's train station. We also had another day in Munich on our own and spent much of that day at the Deutsches Museum (the big museum across the river--we also walked to that from the hotel we stayed at via ABD). The museum has a nice restaurant and a planetarium! (In German--although there might be an English version available during the day) When going to the musuem, you cross at or near the area of the river where in the summer the locals "surf" (due to rocks etc, there are enough waves at this point of the rushing river to allow for surfing).

Whatever you do, enjoy the adventure!
ABD: Scotland (2014), Greece (06/12), Peru (08/11), Germany (12/09), Knights & Lights (12/08), China (06/08), Italy (06/07). DCL: 7 night Alaska Cruise Disney Wonder (7/13), 5 night Xmas Cruise Disney Dream (12/12), 12 night Baltic Disney Magic (06/10), 10-Night Mediterranean Cruise Barcelona, Disney Magic (06/07) Mexican Riveria Cruise Disney Magic (06/05), 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Disney Magic (05/02), 7-Night Vacation Pkg : 4-Night resort and 3-Night cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic (05/99). Hong Kong Disneyland (2008), Paris Disneyland (2008), WDW a few and Disneyland 100+; D23 Charter Member. And completely unbiased!
WeLoveABD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #23
JacksGirlz
DIS Veteran

I don't see it listed on any trip reports or the ABD website so here's my question - On the walking tour of Munich (Day 7 on the ABD website) do they take you to the Marienplatz square to see the Glockenspiel? My DD would like to see this and I'm trying to find out if we need to plan time on our own or not. Thank you.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:03 PM   #24
WeLoveABD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I don't see it listed on any trip reports or the ABD website so here's my question - On the walking tour of Munich (Day 7 on the ABD website) do they take you to the Marienplatz square to see the Glockenspiel? My DD would like to see this and I'm trying to find out if we need to plan time on our own or not. Thank you.
yes they do!
ABD: Scotland (2014), Greece (06/12), Peru (08/11), Germany (12/09), Knights & Lights (12/08), China (06/08), Italy (06/07). DCL: 7 night Alaska Cruise Disney Wonder (7/13), 5 night Xmas Cruise Disney Dream (12/12), 12 night Baltic Disney Magic (06/10), 10-Night Mediterranean Cruise Barcelona, Disney Magic (06/07) Mexican Riveria Cruise Disney Magic (06/05), 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Disney Magic (05/02), 7-Night Vacation Pkg : 4-Night resort and 3-Night cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic (05/99). Hong Kong Disneyland (2008), Paris Disneyland (2008), WDW a few and Disneyland 100+; D23 Charter Member. And completely unbiased!
WeLoveABD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:26 PM   #25
carpenta
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLoveABD View Post
We really enjoyed the day in Salzberg (it was an ABD Christmas Markets trip to Germany--I see they aren't doing it again,which is too bad as the winter feel was great--as were the markets). From the Munich hotel it was a quick walk to the tram, which got you to the train station--and a straight shot by train to Salzberg, which was walk-able from that city's train station. We also had another day in Munich on our own and spent much of that day at the Deutsches Museum (the big museum across the river--we also walked to that from the hotel we stayed at via ABD). The museum has a nice restaurant and a planetarium! (In German--although there might be an English version available during the day) When going to the musuem, you cross at or near the area of the river where in the summer the locals "surf" (due to rocks etc, there are enough waves at this point of the rushing river to allow for surfing).
P
Whatever you do, enjoy the adventure!
We were in Salzburg last summer on a river boat cruise. Loved Saltzburg too and enjoyed seeing the castle and the gazebo that was used in The Sound of Music. It was a beautiful view of the Alps and a great walking city. Too bad they don,t include it in their tour.
carpenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #26
akheila
Earning My Ears

We are pretty excited we booked our "once upon a fairytale" adventure today! we were also told that there are already a few children close to dd age on our tour!

Normally I'd say let the planning begin....but I guess unlike other vacations most of the planning is already done.....hmmm so then let the countdown begin!
akheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:43 AM   #27
JacksGirlz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by akheila
We are pretty excited we booked our "once upon a fairytale" adventure today! we were also told that there are already a few children close to dd age on our tour!

Normally I'd say let the planning begin....but I guess unlike other vacations most of the planning is already done.....hmmm so then let the countdown begin!
What dates did you book? I have been researching on what to do for our pre and post days and there's still so much!

Old 10-22-2012, 10:14 AM   #28
akheila
Earning My Ears

We booked July5-13.

How much earlier are you thinking of arriving? or staying after?

dh and I were talking about this it seems like a long flight for a short time, so we were considering some either before or after time also. I was thinking before because there are a few things in Frankfurt that are of interest to us.
akheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:39 AM   #29
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by akheila View Post
We booked July5-13.

How much earlier are you thinking of arriving? or staying after?

dh and I were talking about this it seems like a long flight for a short time, so we were considering some either before or after time also. I was thinking before because there are a few things in Frankfurt that are of interest to us.
Generally, I vote for before. First off, it gives you more time to get over any jet lag before the tour starts. Secondly, you get so spoiled by the Adventure Guides, it's really hard having to shlep your own luggage, arrange your own transportation, etc, etc, without them after the tour!

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #30
SingingMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello
Generally, I vote for before. First off, it gives you more time to get over any jet lag before the tour starts. Secondly, you get so spoiled by the Adventure Guides, it's really hard having to shlep your own luggage, arrange your own transportation, etc, etc, without them after the tour!

Sayhello
I agree with you! We could have used another day or two at the start, which we will do next trip. But since experiencing that special spoiling, it WOULD be hard to continue the trip after our guides were on to their next adventure. Lol

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

08/76 Fort Wilderness, 09/85 off site, 03/87 off site, 10/91 POFQ, 9/96 Dixie Landings, 07/14-21/01 Disney Magic Cruise! 6/22-7/01/06 Dolphin, 6/22-30/07 Dolphin 6/24-7/02/08 Dolphin, 6/23-7/01/2009 Dolphin, FIVE-PEAT 6/2010 Dolphin! 5/14-21/12 ABD City of Knights & Lights, 1/8-16/13 Dolphin, 7/14-7/22/13 Once Upon a Fairytale, 1/2014 Dolphin, 7/2014 POFQ, 8/2014 Disney Aulani
SingingMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: