Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 05:46 PM   #76
Bobo912
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 2,677

Earlier today the Consul General at the Embassy in Lima was answering questions on Facebook and she mentioned several times that the Peruvian police had stepped up their presence in Cusco/Machu Picchu in response to the security threat. Then a couple of hours ago they posted that the warning had been lifted. Here's the communication on the State Dept. website:
http://lima.usembassy.gov/warden/eme..._messages.html

We will remain cautious in any event, but I do feel better about the situation.

I did speak to ABD again earlier this week and didn't get a definitive answer on what conditions would lead them to cancel the trip. I was told that their Global Security Team assesses the situation and decides if the trip should be cancelled. So, still don't know if the trip would have been cancelled if the warning were still in place. Luckily, I won't need to find out. Next time, depending on where I'm traveling, I may forego ABD's travel insurance and get insurance that allows me to cancel for any reason, so I'll be the one deciding what level of risk is acceptable to me. The ABD polciy doesn't provide converage if there is only a threat. Here's what it says:
Quote:
A terrorist act committed by an organized terrorist
group (recognized as such by the U.S. State
Department) that results in property damage, Injury or
loss of life. The incident must take place in a domestic
or foreign city in which You are scheduled to arrive
within 30 days following the incident and Your tour
operator (if applicable) must not have offered a
substitute itinerary.
Bobo912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #77
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel
 
sayhello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,491
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo912 View Post
Earlier today the Consul General at the Embassy in Lima was answering questions on Facebook and she mentioned several times that the Peruvian police had stepped up their presence in Cusco/Machu Picchu in response to the security threat. Then a couple of hours ago they posted that the warning had been lifted. Here's the communication on the State Dept. website:
http://lima.usembassy.gov/warden/eme..._messages.html

We will remain cautious in any event, but I do feel better about the situation.

I did speak to ABD again earlier this week and didn't get a definitive answer on what conditions would lead them to cancel the trip. I was told that their Global Security Team assesses the situation and decides if the trip should be cancelled. So, still don't know if the trip would have been cancelled if the warning were still in place. Luckily, I won't need to find out. Next time, depending on where I'm traveling, I may forego ABD's travel insurance and get insurance that allows me to cancel for any reason, so I'll be the one deciding what level of risk is acceptable to me. The ABD polciy doesn't provide converage if there is only a threat. Here's what it says:
Glad the situation looks better!

About the insurance, just thought I'd mention, Cancel for any reason policies almost always only reimburse you for 60-75% of the value of the trip. Better than no refund, but you should know you probably won't get a full refund if the reason is uncovered. And lots of insurance would not otherwise cover you if you're offered an alternative & turn it down (unless you have cancel for any reason coverage).

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #78
Bobo912
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 2,677

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
Glad the situation looks better!

About the insurance, just thought I'd mention, Cancel for any reason policies almost always only reimburse you for 60-75% of the value of the trip. Better than no refund, but you should know you probably won't get a full refund if the reason is uncovered. And lots of insurance would not otherwise cover you if you're offered an alternative & turn it down (unless you have cancel for any reason coverage).

Sayhello
If I was worried that I would be kidnapped, I think I'd be happy with 60%.

If I had received more information on what criteria ABD bases their decision to cancel a trip, I would have felt better about it. For instance, if they had told me that they would cancel if the warning was still in effect a week before our departure date, then I would have known they were just waiting to see if the situation changed before making a decision. Or if they had information that the "criminal organization" only targeted individuals and not tour groups, that would have been reassuring. But it was just a big unknown. For all I know, the situation could have gotten worse and the trip still not have been cancelled. I am happy I won't have to find out. For the next trip, I'll probably pick someplace that is typically safer. For now, I'm going to put this out of my mind and get back to being excited about the trip!
Bobo912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:04 PM   #79
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel
 
sayhello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,491
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo912 View Post
If I was worried that I would be kidnapped, I think I'd be happy with 60%.

If I had received more information on what criteria ABD bases their decision to cancel a trip, I would have felt better about it. For instance, if they had told me that they would cancel if the warning was still in effect a week before our departure date, then I would have known they were just waiting to see if the situation changed before making a decision. Or if they had information that the "criminal organization" only targeted individuals and not tour groups, that would have been reassuring. But it was just a big unknown. For all I know, the situation could have gotten worse and the trip still not have been cancelled. I am happy I won't have to find out. For the next trip, I'll probably pick someplace that is typically safer. For now, I'm going to put this out of my mind and get back to being excited about the trip!


Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:50 PM   #80
queenmother
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 63

Yes, bobo you are on your trip! Can't wait to hear all about it!,
__________________
Mother of a princess, Queen of her castle
queenmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:32 PM   #81
Bobo912
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 2,677

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenmother View Post
Yes, bobo you are on your trip! Can't wait to hear all about it!,
Yes I am. We arrived at Sol y Luna today. Just got back from the welcome dinner. No computer, just the Kindle which is a chore to type with. So details to come when we get home.
Bobo912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:55 PM   #82
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel
 
sayhello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,491
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo912 View Post
Yes I am. We arrived at Sol y Luna today. Just got back from the welcome dinner. No computer, just the Kindle which is a chore to type with. So details to come when we get home.
OMG! How did I miss this? I hope you're having a fabulous time! I can't wait to hear about it!

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:00 PM   #83
Bobo912
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 2,677

Just returned from Machu Picchu. It was awesome!
Bobo912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:01 AM   #84
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel
 
sayhello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,491
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo912 View Post
Just returned from Machu Picchu. It was awesome!
Looking forward to hearing all about it!

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:25 AM   #85
Bobo912
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 2,677

We're back. It was a great trip. I'll post more when I have time. For now, here's a photo of the Insider pin.


Last edited by Bobo912; 04-01-2013 at 07:31 AM.
Bobo912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #86
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel
 
sayhello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,491
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo912 View Post
We're back. It was a great trip. I'll post more when I have time. For now, here's a photo of the Insider pin.

Oooo, cool! Josh D'Amaro was pretty proud of those!

Looking forward to more when you've recovered!

Sayhello

Last edited by sayhello; 04-01-2013 at 11:09 AM.
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:45 AM   #87
tufbuf
Disney Addict!
 
tufbuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 991

We were told they were supposed to send the rest of the number pins back in July.

Josh is now president of AK. The guy who replaced him is Ken Potrock who is also the DVC senior veep.

Looking forward to your trip report, bobo912!!!
__________________



ABD-2014(Ireland/Scotland),2013(CR),2012(Greece/Alpine Magic),2011 (Peru & Ecuador),2010 (SWS),2009 (CKL),2008 (VI); DCL-2007 (DW 3n),2008 (DM 7n WC),2010 (11n Med),2011 (DD 3n,7n MR,DD 4n),2012 (DFMV 7nWC,5nCan DM,5n DD),2013(3n DD,12n Med DM),2014(DD4n,DF7n NYE),DParis 09/09-WDW (Boardwalk) 12/06-DL (Grand Californian) 09/05-WDW (AK Lodge) 10/04 WDW (Coronado Springs) 06/03-DL 09/00-WDW (All Star Music) 10/98-WDW (Port Orleans) 11/97-DL Jun92
tufbuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #88
Bobo912
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 2,677

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufbuf View Post
We were told they were supposed to send the rest of the number pins back in July.

Josh is now president of AK. The guy who replaced him is Ken Potrock who is also the DVC senior veep.

Looking forward to your trip report, bobo912!!!
We were told that we would receive the other pins in the mail, as well.
Bobo912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:35 PM   #89
tufbuf
Disney Addict!
 
tufbuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo912 View Post
We were told that we would receive the other pins in the mail, as well.
That would be great, you know. I even called ABD a few weeks after I got back and they said the same but none of the pins arrived. I guess we just have to wait and see...

Now that there's a new head, I wonder if they will revamp the program. I really like the books and the DVDs, I wonder if those will continue...

I'm glad you are back home and safe. Were your guides concerned about the warning?
__________________



ABD-2014(Ireland/Scotland),2013(CR),2012(Greece/Alpine Magic),2011 (Peru & Ecuador),2010 (SWS),2009 (CKL),2008 (VI); DCL-2007 (DW 3n),2008 (DM 7n WC),2010 (11n Med),2011 (DD 3n,7n MR,DD 4n),2012 (DFMV 7nWC,5nCan DM,5n DD),2013(3n DD,12n Med DM),2014(DD4n,DF7n NYE),DParis 09/09-WDW (Boardwalk) 12/06-DL (Grand Californian) 09/05-WDW (AK Lodge) 10/04 WDW (Coronado Springs) 06/03-DL 09/00-WDW (All Star Music) 10/98-WDW (Port Orleans) 11/97-DL Jun92
tufbuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:50 PM   #90
Bobo912
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 2,677

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufbuf View Post
That would be great, you know. I even called ABD a few weeks after I got back and they said the same but none of the pins arrived. I guess we just have to wait and see...

Now that there's a new head, I wonder if they will revamp the program. I really like the books and the DVDs, I wonder if those will continue...

I'm glad you are back home and safe. Were your guides concerned about the warning?
The guides didn't mention the warning. They did suggest areas they consider safe for the time on our own, but I imagine they always do that.
Bobo912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: