Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2014, 12:11 PM   #1
Diane0977
Earning My Ears

Arizona and Utah footwear

I am wondering what the group would consider appropriate footwear for this adventure? I have Keens for myself and our children, but will these provide enough traction for the Arches hike? I am hoping we won't need to lug along hiking shoes.

Also, any other attire tips would be appreciated. We've got pre and post trip plans, so our whole trip is 17 days....I'm already having nightmares about packing!!
Diane0977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:00 PM   #2
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane0977 View Post
I am wondering what the group would consider appropriate footwear for this adventure? I have Keens for myself and our children, but will these provide enough traction for the Arches hike? I am hoping we won't need to lug along hiking shoes.

Also, any other attire tips would be appreciated. We've got pre and post trip plans, so our whole trip is 17 days....I'm already having nightmares about packing!!
If you are planning on doing any of the off-roading type stuff (ATV's etc) in Moab, make sure you take clothing that you're not too attached to. The rock (and dust and dirt) is very red, and I've heard it can be a bear to wash out. I didn't do any of those activities, so I can't swear to that, but that's what I heard.

I did the Arches hike in Hiking sneakers, so I can't say whether Keens would be enough. I think they probably would be, but they don't call it slick rock up there for nothing...

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-07-2014, 04:06 PM   #3
carpenta
DIS Veteran

IMO the trip is not that taxing and in most parks you are required to stay on the trails. A good set of supportive active shoes should suffice. The "wicking" type shirts and pants with a sunblock built in the fabric really work well. Bring plenty of sunblock and a good wide brimmed hat. We experienced 120+ degrees when we traveled BUT the hotels had great AC. There is a washer and dryer in the Red Cliff Lodge we used. We bring those detergent/dryer sheet combo sheets. ABD supplies plenty of water. After the horseback riding your clothes had the horse smell so we washed them if not bring some zip lock bags to segregate those. Make your dining reservations in the El Tovar restaurant in advance to insure a really nice dinner. We had a wonderful trip and I'm sure you will too......if any specific questions I will try to answer.
carpenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:00 AM   #4
Diane0977
Earning My Ears

Thanks r t he replies. I think we'll take our Keens and regular tennis shoes and we should be good with that. We got our El Tovar reservations last week, so we're set. Glad to hear there are laundry facilities available...that should help quite a bit with the clothes situation.
Diane0977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:45 AM   #5
kmc33
DIS Veteran

Yes, you definitely should be fine with the Keens and sneakers. We just got back and some people did hike in their Keens. I had a pair of Merrell's that are low cut and like a cross between a sneaker and hiking shoe. DH and DS just wore sneakers. The Keens are good for the rafting trip as you will get wet!

Also, since you mentioned pre-trip plans, I wanted to let you know that there are washers at Enchantment as well. I did not see them but DH said they looked nice. We washed a load at Red Cliff's as we had several post-days planned. It allowed us to pack a little lighter.

El Tovar dinner was excellent. Also breakfast was served there and it was outstanding with many delicious menu selections.

Have a great trip!
Old 07-13-2014, 02:09 PM   #6
KandAMom
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane0977 View Post

We did this trip last July - and we (DH, DS1,DS2 and my self) wore our keens the whole time - even white water rafting ! We also had an extra pair of shoes to switch out but must of the time it was the keens. Enjoy your trip - you will love it !
KandAMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: