Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

South Africa: Safari in South Africa Meets Thread

Please post here if you would like to talk with anyone else who has signed up to travel to South Africa with ABD.

You can also share information/ask questions about the South Africa: Safari to South Africa ABD.

Please try and keep this thread on topic to discussion and questions about the South Africa ABD. Off topic posts will be deleted or moved.

Thanks!
Sayhello

Roll Call:

Current:
  • Jun 29 - Jul 8, 2014 - richflour & daughter (9)
  • Jul 25 - Aug 3, 2015 - Ron Nelson, wife (Donna), twin boys (10), daughter (14) and his parents.

Previous:
  • Jun 27 - figmentfan2009

Last edited by sayhello; 06-14-2014 at 01:39 PM.
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
jjpenguin
A penguin with mouse ears & wooden shoes?
I'm going to sulk!!

I'd be happy to answer questions about South Africa in general as I am now living in Johannesburg
July 1974 Offsite * Feb 1997 Offsite * Feb 1998 Offsite * Feb 1999 Offsite * Feb 2000 POFQ and Disney Wonder * March 2001 DLP Sequoia Lodge * Nov 2001 1st DVC trip VWL + OKW * March 2003 BWV + AKL Concierge * May 2004 HH + BCV for Star Wars Weekends * Nov 2004 OKW solo trip * Feb 2005 Disneyland * Sept 2005 DVC Member Cruise & Vero Beach * May 2006 Star Wars Weekends again, at BWV * Sept 2006 2nd Solo trip at ASMu and SSR * May 2007 Using up our AP at OKW - Pirates of the Caribbean Adventure on the 7 Seas Lagoon * Sept 2007 Very last minute quick fix solo trip at SSR! * Sept 2008 - DH and me at SSR

jjpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-05-2012, 04:50 AM   #3
figmentfan2009
Mouseketeer

Leaving in three weeks

So... we are leaving on the 27th. Anyone else on that adventure? Any tips or hints?

Old 06-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #4
figmentfan2009
Mouseketeer

South Africa Airlines Carry Ons...

HELP!!!!

Okay... anyone know if I fly on South Africa Airlines... can I have a carry on and a personal item if I fly economy class? I can't find anything on the SAA website... other than I can have one carry on as long as it is under 18 pounds.

I want to have my meds (my daughter NEEDS to have her meds) but I don't want to have to root in an overhead bin if I NEED to get her meds... I've never been on an airline where I have to worry this much about how much my backpack weighs... Anyone???
Old 06-11-2012, 09:02 AM   #5
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by figmentfan2009 View Post
HELP!!!!

Okay... anyone know if I fly on South Africa Airlines... can I have a carry on and a personal item if I fly economy class? I can't find anything on the SAA website... other than I can have one carry on as long as it is under 18 pounds.
As you discovered, their web sit specifies one carry-on with no mention of a personal item.

Good information here; you can take a personal item as well as your carry on bag:

http://www.flysaa.com/za/en/Document..._with_this.pdf

Passenger traveling in Economy Class will only be allowed ONE piece of cabin baggage not exceeding 56cm in length by 45cm in width and 25cm in depth, and one additional personal item.

Passenger traveling in Premium Class will be allowed TWO pieces of cabin baggage not exceeding 56cm in length by 45cm in width and 25cm in depth each, and one additional personal item.

Passengers carrying musical instruments shall be allowed to carry such instrument as a second piece of hand baggage.

Additional personal items are:
Purses, baby changing bags, laptops in a thin satchel and slim line brief cases.

Larger laptop bags and standard/bulkier briefcases will NOT be considered a personal item and will count as a normal piece of cabin baggage.

Even if you could only take on one item, all you would have to do is remove the meds from your bag and put in the seatback or under the seat in front of you after boarding, or even before boarding if it is a small bag.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #6
richflour
Mouseketeer

we will be going JUNE 29-july 8 2014
dad and daughter (9)
richflour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:13 PM   #7
Grifdog22
Barking Mad!

We took the direct flight from Dulles and found this airline to be great. One personal item of the size specified (for us backpacks) and my DD and DW took huge purses that were as big as a backpack. No one blinked. The service in economy was great. They were pleasant, attentive, and fed us repeatedly when asked. (The lamb stew was surprisingly good with a nice complementary bottle of wine).

Be careful at the airport in Johannasburg - see our previous post about the assistance Disney offered two years ago for this...

Since our trip I have only heard positives from others who have traveled to South Africa about SAA. Enjoy the flight, and the ABD trip is fantastic. Please tell Craig (the South African guide who we still are in regular correspondence with) a big "Hey!" from the Griffins.

At Kapama, ask, and he'll also arrange (adults only) for you to do a little bush walking with a ranger, too. WAY WAY COOL!

At table mountain, don't let them rush you off the top until you are ready to go. Take your time - it's quite the place.

I should have written a trip report - this was our favorite of the 3 ABD so far...and I cannot imagine any trip could ever be better.

ABD cut some of the things we found overwhelming - but apparently they weren't that popular. The hands on in the train museum, for example (Climb aboard, climb in and around, explore) remains the most childish fun I've had in years.

We'll be happy to answer any questions. Enjoy!
Grifdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #8
richflour
Mouseketeer

Which other abd have you taken?
Old 07-03-2013, 07:11 AM   #9
Grifdog22
Barking Mad!

We have been to ABD Costa Rica, ABD Peru, ABD South Africa, and we are signed up for ABD Winter Wonderland (Yellowstone) over Christmas this year.

Do go to South Africa with an appetite. We all gained weight. My PETA/veggie daughter lost her dedication to no meat when she smelled my Zebra steak at Knysna. She ended up eating the whole thing, and began a tear like a Lioness into the meats. On our trip, the Knysna dinner (rent the restaurant) was included. That changed - ask Craig to send you to the place they chose. I cannot remember the name...
Old 07-03-2013, 01:32 PM   #10
richflour
Mouseketeer

Did you fly south african air?
I know it will be different but what price range did you pay for the flight?
Old 07-07-2013, 04:20 PM   #11
Grifdog22
Barking Mad!

We flew SAA from Dulles in DC to Johannasberg, changed planes to Cape Town. Round trip ran us, with taxes, etc. about $1025 each. We were economy all the way...

It's costing us that much to fly from Dulles to Wyoming for the ABD Christmas in Yellowstone...overseas carriers always seem much cheaper. Our trip to Peru was cheaper on airfare from DC to Lima than from DC to Atlanta. Go figure!
Old 07-07-2013, 04:54 PM   #12
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifdog22 View Post
We flew SAA from Dulles in DC to Johannasberg, changed planes to Cape Town. Round trip ran us, with taxes, etc. about $1025 each. We were economy all the way...

It's costing us that much to fly from Dulles to Wyoming for the ABD Christmas in Yellowstone...overseas carriers always seem much cheaper. Our trip to Peru was cheaper on airfare from DC to Lima than from DC to Atlanta. Go figure!
OMG, not when you're going to Europe! My flight to Greece was close to $1600!

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:27 PM   #13
ILUVALASKA
DIS Veteran

I just returned from a four week tour of South Africa- Zambia, Botswana and South Africa. I was not with ABD. What an amazing experience. I will be back!

me:DHDS

CMU Tartan Family
ILUVALASKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:06 PM   #14
CarrianneB
Mouseketeer

We are close to booking summer if 2015. But we are still evaluating our options. We loved peru, and everyone that had done multiple abd's said this was the best!'
2010 - Disney Magic - 7 Day Eastern
2011 - Princess Cruise - Alaska
2012 - Disney Dream - Booked for 3 day - gave it up for the FIL!
2013 - Disney Fantasy - Spring Break to San Juan and St. Thomas
Disney Parks visited - Disney World, Disneyland, and Disney Paris.
CarrianneB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:23 AM   #15
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by richflour View Post
Did you fly south african air? I know it will be different but what price range did you pay for the flight?
We flew SAA JFK-Joberg-Cape Town and it was $1400 RT, economy class. That didn't include our internal flights once we got to CT. But I can't say enough wonderful things about SAA!! They made 17 hours of flight time completely bearable! Fantastic service!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: