Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2012, 12:10 AM   #31
JustADreamAway
Earning My Ears

Just started following along! I was excited to read that you drove down to Disney because that's what my family does too! Can't wait to read more!

...There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, just a dream away...
2012-Art of Animation/Pop Century 2012- Pop Century 2012-Port Orleans Riverside 2011-Pop Century 2010-All Star Movies 2009-Animal Kingdom Lodge 2006-Caribbean Beach Resort 2001-Caribbean Beach Resort 1998-Contemporary Resort 1996- Polynesian Resort 1993- Polynesian Resort 1991- Disney Inn
Old 06-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #32
WDW 3
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusero View Post
Here's an easy one:

What in the World is this??

What is Cinderella Castle tunnel at night?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #33
jusero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW 3 View Post
What is Cinderella Castle tunnel at night?
You are 100 percent right!

1982, 1985, Disneyland
Sept., 1995: Shades of Geen, WDW
Oct. 2006: Disneyland
May, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012: Shades of Green, WDW
Dec. 2008: Shades of Green, WDW

2011 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2745311
2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2933651
2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201400

Old 06-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #34
jusero
DIS Veteran

What in the World is this??

1982, 1985, Disneyland

Old 06-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #35
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Hey! I'm here...now I gotta go back and read.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 06-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #36
WDW 3
Mouseketeer

What in the World?

I have absolutely no idea
Old 06-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #37
minijeanie
It is a great diversion from one's hectic day

looks like the epcot ball but I know I am wrong
Once again.. great reading your trip report
1996- WL
1997-WL, BWV
1999-Dxl, Dolphin
2000-BC, Disney Cruise
2001-HRH,Poly, BWV
2003-HRH, BWV
2005-CR, BWV
2005-POR
2008-CSR,Swan
2012-SOG
Old 06-13-2012, 12:03 AM   #38
jusero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustADreamAway View Post
Just started following along! I was excited to read that you drove down to Disney because that's what my family does too! Can't wait to read more!
Welcome aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Hey! I'm here...now I gotta go back and read.
Welcome back. Both from your trip and to my TR. Can't wait to hear about your trip on the high seas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW 3 View Post
I have absolutely no idea
Teehee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minijeanie View Post
looks like the epcot ball but I know I am wrong
Once again.. great reading your trip report
Well, you are half right. It is a rendition of Spaceship Earth, but where would you see it?

1982, 1985, Disneyland

Old 06-13-2012, 12:56 AM   #39
jusero
DIS Veteran

Chapter Four

Today we decided to sleep in and go to Epcot whenever we got up. I woke up at 7:45 and Leo kept snoring away until 9.

Up and on our way by 10:30, this was the latest we have ever done a park. And boy would we pay the price.

On our way through the gates, I stopped to take a few pics … big surprise. Then I heard this lady yelling her kid’s name in a very annoyingly high-pitched voice over and over and over and over trying to get his attention for a photo. I nearly yelled his name too just to get his attention and shut her up.

We then headed straight over to Soarin’. Fat chance for a ride anytime soon … the standby line was 120 minutes! There was even a 30-minute wait for Living with the Land. Good googa mooga! I have never – evvvvvvver – seen this ride with any line at all. It has always been a walk up and hop on. (trip)

So we just grabbed fast passes for Soarin’ and headed out to hit up Spaceship Earth. Fat chance of that too. That line was wound around the side of the building. (trip)

Then we headed over to Test Track. Now, I knew it was scheduled to be closed by the time we got there, but I was holding out a little hope that maybe the closure was delayed just a bit. No such luck. That was one of the saddest sights to see … all closed up and silent. (trip) It was so sad, in fact, that I didn’t even take a photo of it.

Since our fast passes to Soarin’ were not until 3:45, we decided to wander the area and get some pics and video.

I decided to do more video this year than stills since all of Leo’s past videos remind me more of the Blair Witch Project. The jiggle factor is so high that you can’t watch them without getting nauseous. So, I wanted to get a lot of steady pan shots that actually show the parks so I can try to create a “day in the park” at all four parks.

Besides, I have taken at least 100 photos of each and every thing in each and every park.

At this point, Leo started feeling a bit “off” and headed to the bathroom. As I sat waiting for him, I noticed this 20-something couple coming out of the family bathroom … with no family in tow.

Oooooo-kay! I told you the tone of this year’s crowd was different. And here is another example: A man and his wife came up and sat on the bench beside me with the man next to me. After about a minute, he leaned sideways and lifted his keester towards me and let one rip. Really?? And it was no small putt-putt either. It was a rip-roarin’, shake, rattle and roll! I nearly fell off the end of the bench. (gross trip)

OMG!! That was amazingly rude and disgusting. And, yes, I moved … quickly.

I moved over to the wall by the bushes to sit and wait for Leo. As I sat there, this little female ducky came waddling along the wall and right up to me. I mean, she was so close I could have touched her. Then she just stood there staring at me. I don’t know what she wanted, but it was cute. Until, however, this obnoxious kid (who was old enough to know better) came over and tried to grab her and she took off. Brat.

By this time, Leo had finally returned … looking really bad. His tummy was in bad shape and he didn’t want to move too far from the bathrooms for a while. (big trip) I felt so bad for him. But he told me to go wander and get some pics and video instead of sitting here waiting on him.

So I headed out to this one spot I wanted to shoot from over near the Universe of Energy. I wanted to catch the monorail passing by the UE sign. Of course, the monorail only passes once every 20-30 minutes and one had just passed as I was walking up. But of course! (trip)

So I wandered around for a bit taking pics of some of the topiaries in the area. And after what seemed like forever … and no shady place to hide … I finally got the shot I wanted. Of course, I had not put on any sun screen at this point in the day … and it was in the backpack which was with Leo on the other side … so I could feel my shoulders and neck sizzling. (trip)

After getting the shot, and much more sun than I needed, I headed back to check on the hubby. On the way, I stopped in at the butterfly pavilion to grab some shots. While shooting the Bambi topiaries inside the pavilion, I noticed this little baby bunny snuggled in among the flowers. He was soooo cute … and right near Bambi and Thumper. How appropriate.

As I headed back to the hubby, I noticed this couple I had seen earlier in the day. But when I saw them earlier, the hubby was in the wheel chair and the wife was pushing. Now, the wife was in the chair and the hubby was pushing. People, people, people …

Anyway, I found Leo sitting in a shady spot still looking pretty bad. I went and got him some cold water and walked him over to the Innoventions building where he could sit in the AC and still be near a bathroom. I then headed on over to the first aid station to see if they had any tummy meds.

Of course, the first aid station was waaaaaaay over on the other side of the park nearer to Mexico. But, they did have some tummy meds … and gave it to me in a little plastic dosing cup. I am going to carry this little plastic cup filled to the brim all the way across the park in this crowd? Thank goodness the guy read my face and gave me a drinking cup to put it in.

We were both very thankful that the med worked and Leo started feeling better within about 30 minutes. The poor guy has been fighting this battle for about three hours now. I asked him if he wanted to go back to the room and rest, but he wanted to stay. What a trooper!

So, after a while, we headed out and wandered around Innoventions for a while … still not wanting to get too far from the bathrooms just yet. By the time Leo was feeling back to normal, we were close to our fast pass time at Soarin’ and went back to the Land building and grabbed something very light for lunch.

After Soarin’… and Leo feeling back to 100 percent, we headed over to the World Showcase. By the time we made it over to the American pavilion, it was nearly time for the ELO concert. We grabbed some seats and I headed back to the funnel cake stand. Gots to have my funnel cake!

The concert was great … and the funnel cake was great-er!

After the concert, we wandered the World Showcase just enjoying the evening … and Leo’s settled tummy.

As the evening wore on and the sun was beginning to set, the sky turned ugly. By about 7:30 or so, the sky opened up and it poured. We took refuge in Norway, but with the bad lightening, the ride was closed so we just hung around the shop.

The storm only lasted about 15 minutes, though, so we were able to hop on the ride when it reopened and had no line to speak of.

By this time, Leo wanted to head out and find a spot for Illuminations. Since I can’t watch this show up close (light sensitive eyes), I headed over to the gateway area.

Headed towards the twin shops at the gateway, I noticed several CMs actually squeegee-ing the sidewalks. Only at Disney would they do this!

I went into the first shop and found a couple things I wanted. However, at checkout I found out that the gift cards I have been holding on to since Christmas just for this purpose are not accepted at any vendors in the parks. There goes $150 I thought I had for souvies. (big trip)

Anyway, after a little shopping, I found a spot on the wall to sit where I could see the fireworks a little, but not the explosions that bother my eyes.

As I was sitting there, a family from Alabama sat on one side of me and another family from Tennessee sat on the other side of me. And, once again, I became a two-sided tour guide. As I answered questions from both families, I must have looked like I was at a tennis match. But, I had fun and it made the wait time go by faster.

Once Illuminations was done, and Leo found me, we headed back to Shades. We were home and all tucked in by 11 p.m.

1982, 1985, Disneyland

Last edited by jusero; 06-13-2012 at 01:51 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:21 AM   #40
mom133d
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusero View Post
Now, is anyone out there from Virginia? If so, can you please tell me if there is a law in your state against rest areas along the highway? We hit 223 miles before hitting an actual rest area.
I'm from VA. NHo law but to "save money" the powers that be decided to close several rest stops. Yeah, we don't get it either. The truck drivers raised a HUGE stink about it and they reopened a few of them. Guess the safety aspects of the rest stops isn't a concern. There was a campaign to get corporate sponsors to set up biz at the rest stop. If I could get BK rather than a cup of that nasty coffee or vending machine food, I'd be in hog heaven. The rest rooms would probaby be cleaner and better supplied this way as well, but nooooo we can't have that.

I'm new to the forums and am loving your report BTW.

edit: Oh, and I believe the image is Spaceship Earth as seen in Illuminations.

Last edited by mom133d; 06-13-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:02 PM   #41
jusero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom133d View Post
I'm from VA. NHo law but to "save money" the powers that be decided to close several rest stops. Yeah, we don't get it either. The truck drivers raised a HUGE stink about it and they reopened a few of them. Guess the safety aspects of the rest stops isn't a concern. There was a campaign to get corporate sponsors to set up biz at the rest stop. If I could get BK rather than a cup of that nasty coffee or vending machine food, I'd be in hog heaven. The rest rooms would probaby be cleaner and better supplied this way as well, but nooooo we can't have that.

I'm new to the forums and am loving your report BTW.

edit: Oh, and I believe the image is Spaceship Earth as seen in Illuminations.
Thanks for clarifying. I drive around this country a lot and have never seen so few rest areas on a major highway before. I know the best ones I have seen are on the Jersey Turnpike, but that is a toll road so they can pay for them. But, on the Thruway in Upstate NY there are some very nice rest areas and it is not a toll road. Who knows? Maybe they should sell some land to one of those truck stop companies like TA. That way, there is a stop, but they don't have to pay a thing.

As for the "what in the World," yes, it is of Spaceship Earth, but no it is no from Illuminations.

1982, 1985, Disneyland

Old 06-13-2012, 05:02 PM   #42
capegirl
DIS Veteran

Sorry your DH wasn't feeling well , I feel sooooo bad for anyone who gets sick on vacation. Happened to my DH once too. Thank goodness you thought about going to first aid ...I never would have thought about going there for tummy meds....good to know !

Great pics....I 'm lovin' that cute bunny.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #43
KristiKat
DIS Veteran

I'm lovin' your trip report. Your DH and his bathroom trips remind me of my DH somewhat on our last trip. My DH was having kidney stone problems so it was a bit different. After we ate at Biergarten and he had a German beer he stopped having trouble. He swears the beer cured him, lol.

Me DH DSS13 DD8

1982 offsite,1987 The Disney Inn,1991 Caribbean Beach Resort,1997 Fort Wilderness,2011 & 2013 Port Orleans Riverside,2012 & 2014 Shades of Green
Old 06-13-2012, 10:12 PM   #44
emksmama
Mouseketeer

Love your trip report! The pictures are fabulous!! I can't believe we'll be there in just 5 1/2 weeks.

So vendors don't take Disney GCs? Are these cart type vendors or actual shops? I've been buying Disney cards for us to bring, and was going to have a small amount of cash on hand, plus a travel Visa card, but was hoping to use our GCs for most in park purchases.

1984 & 1986 with parents, no clue where we stayed but they were both off property
July 2012 Shades of Green 3 generations of FUN
October 20-24, 2014 POP & MNSSHP
Old 06-13-2012, 10:59 PM   #45
jusero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by capegirl View Post
Sorry your DH wasn't feeling well , I feel sooooo bad for anyone who gets sick on vacation. Happened to my DH once too. Thank goodness you thought about going to first aid ...I never would have thought about going there for tummy meds....good to know !

Great pics....I 'm lovin' that cute bunny.
Yah, those aid stations are pretty good. They can give you all kinds of over-the-counter meds and bandaids and such. Of course, if he had listened to me the day before, he would not have been in such a state. He ate a beef stick that had been opened and sitting in the car all day. I told him not to eat it, but he just would not listen. It was very, VERY hard not to say "I told you!" But I don't think I needed to state the obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiKat View Post
I'm lovin' your trip report. Your DH and his bathroom trips remind me of my DH somewhat on our last trip. My DH was having kidney stone problems so it was a bit different. After we ate at Biergarten and he had a German beer he stopped having trouble. He swears the beer cured him, lol.
I will have to tell my not-quite-as-old-as-me, but old anyway, brother. He has been having kidney stone issues too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emksmama View Post
Love your trip report! The pictures are fabulous!! I can't believe we'll be there in just 5 1/2 weeks.

So vendors don't take Disney GCs? Are these cart type vendors or actual shops? I've been buying Disney cards for us to bring, and was going to have a small amount of cash on hand, plus a travel Visa card, but was hoping to use our GCs for most in park purchases.
I am so excited for your upcoming trip! And don't worry about your cards. Mine were not Disney gift cards. They were just basic Visa gift cards. You should not have any probs with Disney gift cards anywhere in the parks.

1982, 1985, Disneyland

Last edited by jusero; 06-13-2012 at 11:06 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: