Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #16
jaz0308
Mouseketeer

OMG I am loving your trip report! I have NEVER read one before...wasn't interested! After following the SOG thread I just knew I had to read your report and I was right...I am loving it! Thanks so much for sharing and I am living vicariously through you too until my trip in July!
Old 06-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #17
rcsilverspring
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaz0308 View Post
OMG I am loving your trip report! I have NEVER read one before...wasn't interested! After following the SOG thread I just knew I had to read your report and I was right...I am loving it! Thanks so much for sharing and I am living vicariously through you too until my trip in July!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are in for a real treat. Jane's trip reports are legendary! You will be !!!

June 1989-Polynesian, June 1991-Polynesian June 2008-FINALLY back to the Polynesian after 17 years!!!!
May 2011- headed back "home" to the Poly! Dec. 2012-Girls only trip to WL to finally see the Christmas decorations (Sorry Poly)
]
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #18
jusero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by capegirl View Post
So happy to see a SoG trip report ! We have not stayed at Shades for 10 years.....so with an upcoming trip this August, you have my undivided attention. I never knew you could fax in a 'ticket request' ...sure beats waiting in line. Do you just pay for the tickets at check in ?
Yep. They will send you an email about a week before your stay. You just fill it out and either email it back or fax it. They will ask for a credit card number (all but the last four numbers). Then they will call you to verify your order and to get the last four digits. It's as simple as that. Then, when you check in, they will have an envelope with all your tickets all paid for and ready to go. LOVE it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaz0308 View Post
Thanks! And welcome aboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsilverspring View Post
You are in for a real treat. Jane's trip reports are legendary! You will be !!!
Aw, shucks (picture me blushing). Thanks so much for the compliment, Rosemary.

1982, 1985, Disneyland
Sept., 1995: Shades of Geen, WDW
Oct. 2006: Disneyland
May, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012: Shades of Green, WDW
Dec. 2008: Shades of Green, WDW

2011 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2745311
2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2933651
2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201400

Old 06-05-2012, 07:17 AM   #19
robin19871
DIS Veteran

Great Trip Report so far.. We made it to DTD for the first time this past April and I am in love with the place.. We also ate at Earl of Sandwich and I had the tomato soup which is to die for..(It really was that good.) We also had a hot fudge brownie sundae at Ghiradellis that was probably the best dessert I have ever had.. (At $9.50 for one it better have been.) Can't wait to read more..
Old 06-05-2012, 09:35 PM   #20
mmtska
I dreamed of a wish and it came true!

Location: 15 minutes from Disney, but my home will always be in Pittsburgh!

I didn't know you were a Steelers fan?!?!?! YAY!

No trips planned for now....just the odd day at the parks whenever I want
Feeling hot, hot, HOT 7/11 PTR
The Attack of the Lime green Mickey Heads
Old 06-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #21
danalee
You wouldnt understand, its a New Kids thing!

I noticed that to!! Steeler Nation Baby
1998 Sept ~POFQ (honeymoon)
2005 Aug ~All Star Movie Son's first trip! B-day Surprise!
2006 Sept ~PoP w/ free dining (& 8th wedding anniversery)
2008 Aug ~All Star Sports Son's B-Day
2010 Sept ~POFQ Friends, Family & Anniversary Trip!
2012 Sept ~POFQ w/ BFF & Family~
Old 06-05-2012, 09:52 PM   #22
rcsilverspring
Mouseketeer

Hey! Don't forget about ME! I've never lived anywhere BUT Pittsburgh!!!

June 1989-Polynesian, June 1991-Polynesian June 2008-FINALLY back to the Polynesian after 17 years!!!!
May 2011- headed back "home" to the Poly! Dec. 2012-Girls only trip to WL to finally see the Christmas decorations (Sorry Poly)
]
Old 06-05-2012, 10:39 PM   #23
jusero
DIS Veteran

Believe it or not, I have never stepped foot in Pittsburgh. But I have been a Steelers fan since ... well ... forever. I started liking them back when Bradshaw was QB. Not telling my age any, am I?

1982, 1985, Disneyland

Old 06-05-2012, 10:43 PM   #24
jusero
DIS Veteran

Here's an easy one:

What in the World is this??

1982, 1985, Disneyland

Old 06-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #25
jusero
DIS Veteran

OK, so I just spent the last two hours posting chapter three. But do you see it??? Noooooooooooo...

My computer completely pooped out on me and I lost the entire thing. I will have to start from scratch tomorrow ... if I decide NOT to throw this thing out the window.

1982, 1985, Disneyland

Old 06-08-2012, 10:29 PM   #26
capegirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusero View Post
OK, so I just spent the last two hours posting chapter three. But do you see it??? Noooooooooooo...

My computer completely pooped out on me and I lost the entire thing. I will have to start from scratch tomorrow ... if I decide NOT to throw this thing out the window.
UGH!!! How frustrating, after all that work. Hope your computer behaves itself tomorrow.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:05 PM   #27
rcsilverspring
Mouseketeer

Eeeeek!!!
Oh NO, Jane!!!! Technology is wonderful---WHEN IT WORKS!

Sending and for better luck tomorrow.

Here's a from all of us anxiously awaiting your next chapter.

]
Old 06-09-2012, 09:17 AM   #28
jusero
DIS Veteran

Chapter Three

We are up and out early today. It’s our first day in the parks and, believe it or not, we are not hitting the Magic Kingdom first. Only because it is Extra Magic Hours at Hollywood Studios today.

Sitting on the bus with just 10 minutes to leave, I realized I had forgotten to take the batteries out of the charger and put them in my camera. (trip) Can I make it back to the room and back in less than 10 minutes? We shall see.

I take off on a run (or, what passes for a run for me) through the café, up the stairs, through the lobby, down the hall, up the elevator (well, I rode that), into the room and snatched up the batteries. Then off I go again on a run through the hotel.

Ever see a fat old lady with a bad foot run? Not a pretty sight.

But I made it before the bus left, which is a good thing since this bus leaves just once an hour. Huffing and puffing, I loaded my camera … wait! Where’s my camera?

Just kidding. I had my camera.

Anyway, we arrive to the Studios by 8 a.m. for EMH and headed straight to Toy Story Mania, fully expecting lines for both the ride and the fast past kiosks. However, there were no lines at either! Shock of shocks.

So we snatched up a couple fast passes and then hopped in line. And, of course, I beat Leo both times. I even had the highest score in the car on one trip. Very cool! And it would have been even cooler if the other couple in the car had not been in their 70s.

Oh yah! Forgot to say that that big ugly stage was no longer in front of Big Blue this year. Woo-hoo! I can finally take some good night shots of Big Blue this year.

While we were standing in the Q for the Great Movie Ride, Leo happened to notice the carpeting and said, “Why don’t you take a picture of the carpet for your ‘where in the hell’ pictures?”

For some reason, I thought that was the most hysterical thing at that moment and just couldn’t stop giggling. When I was finally able to put words together coherently, I squeaked out, “You mean the ‘where in the World’ pictures?” Then he started to giggle.

By the time we started loading onto the ride, our little giggle fest subsided.

Finishing up at the Great Movie Ride, we headed down the street towards the Backlot Tour, the only other thing open during EMH that we were interested in. Or so we thought.

Along the way I had to stop at Big Blue to check out the pins. There really weren’t many limited editions this year to choose from. I did, however, find the 2012 Mothers’ Day pin. Of course, I made the mistake of only buying one. I never did find them again to get one for Tanisha … for which I was called all kinds of not-so-Disney names when I got home.

Anyway, on to the Backlot Tour. As we approached the entrance, we noticed it was roped off and a line was forming outside the Q. Yep, a line to get in line.

The couple in line ahead of us was busy debating on whether or not the wife had time to run to the bathroom. I pointed out that the bathrooms were right there. But as she was just about to go inside, the line opened and the hubby called her back. I told them she had plenty of time to make it because we would be in the Q for a bit.

Now, I guess this little tidbit of info alerted them to the fact I was a veteran Worlder because they spent the next 10-15 minutes rapid firing me all kinds of questions. This was not only their first trip, but possibly their only trip. So, we spent our Q time talking Disney strategies and what they just could not miss.

And this was just one of several times I played tour guide on this trip. Leo is still trying to figure out how people just seem to know I am the right person to ask. It may have something to do with me sticking my nose in … I mean, offering my assistance whenever I overhear anyone wrestling with what to do or where to go. Sorry, I just can’t help myself. I just want everyone to have as much fun as we do.

After the Backlot Tour, we decided to stop for Leo’s annual Mickey ice cream bar. And, this year, I decided to get one too. My very first Mickey ice cream bar! It was good, but I couldn’t finish it. Way too sweet for me.

As we were sitting there enjoying our treats, we were doing a bit of people watching. Then we saw this mid-life lady walk by wearing short shorts (I think they are called booty shorts) … with her underwear hanging out from the bottom.

Ummmmm, really??

Before heading to the Indie show, we did some squished penny hunting and noticed the crowd was picking up. By the time we made it to the show, the park was packed … and hot. We figured the high crowd level was because this was the weekend and that levels would thin out during the week.

Yah, right.

At the Indie show we were able to squeeze into the front row. I have found that if you get there closer to show time, you can usually find a few seats down front, especially after they tell the crowd to skoot over.

Anyway, the show was great, as usual, and we were able to get pics with the actors. And, no, Leo is not standing in a hole. That guy is just that tall.

We did some more penny hunting before heading back to Shades at about 4 p.m. I couldn’t believe how crowded and hot it was.

Now I know how it must feel like in July and August.

By the way, they now have chains up at the bus stop for the line, which is great. I always hated the mad dash for the bus when there wasn’t a chain.

Also, did they always sell beer at the Studios? I never noticed that before.

Back at Shades, we relaxed for a bit and took a quick nap before heading to Magic Kingdom for the evening.

I decided to take the small backpack for the evening since we would only be there for a few hours. However, Leo took nearly everything out of the big backpack and stuffed it into the small one. Kind of defeats the purpose. Sheesh!

Ok, this is what I have been waiting for all day … oh, who am I kidding … all year: Magic Kingdom!!!!!

On the way, we saw the Avengers monorail and it was really cool. We didn’t see it in time to get any pics or video, so we made a point to try to catch it later. Turned out not to be such an easy task.

Walking through the gate, we were stunned at the crowd level, as well as the tone of the crowd. It wasn’t the same Disney crowd we normally run into. This crowd fit more into Six Flags, than Disney. The dress code was more … relaxed and the people were much more pushy, rude, foul-mouthed and down-right nasty than what we are used to.

What the heck is going on?

But, nasty crowd or no crowd, I was standing in front of “my house!” After standing in front of the castle for a bit, we headed to Pirates, of course. And even though the crowds were high, there was no line at Pirates.

I was so excited for my first ride on Pirates that I nearly ran over a little old lady who was trying to find her way in the dark. I forget that this is new to some people. I can find my way blind folded.

Feeling like a heel, I slowed down and patiently guided her around, or tried to. She was a none-too-friendly old lady. When we finally made it to the loading area, I found out why she was so testy. She was there with her family and they had just taken off and left her to fend for herself in the dark. And boy did she cuss them out! I have no idea what she was saying (I think she was speaking Portuguese), but I know that tone … and it sure wasn’t “I love you.”

I no longer felt like quite as much of a heel anymore.

From Pirates, we headed back through Adventureland to cut through to Frontierland to head towards the Haunted Mansion. On the way we noticed there was no line for the Magic Carpets. Since I have never ridden this particular ride (I hate things that go in circles), and it is one of Leo’s faves, I decided to give it a try. If I threw up, that’s OK, it was dark and maybe no one would notice.

I actually didn’t get nauseous at all and actually enjoyed the ride. Well, at least until that stupid camel spit all over me. And it wasn’t just a little sprinkle. I think he threw up and me!

Of course, my ever-so-supportive hubby thought this was hilarious … because it completely missed him.

Covered in camel spit, we headed to the Haunted Mansion and found no line there either. I think it was because people were lining up for the parade. Bennie for us! So far, even with the heavy crowds, the lines were short or nonexistent.

As we meandered … yes, I actually said ‘meandered’ … through Fantasyland, we hopped in and out of a few rides and, of course, Philharmagic. And in Philharmagic, the group of kids in front of us and the little girl beside me were first-timers. I just love watching first-timers in here. And the little girl next to me was just too darned cute for words. She was grabbing for things, ducking, singing, clapping and giggling her way through the entire show.

Even though we usually pass on Snow White, we chose to ride it this year because it would be closing permanently at the end of the month. Just had to ride it one last time.

By this time it was getting close to the 10 p.m. fireworks and we were getting a bit hungry. Since we were going into Tomorrowland … and closer to the home of my chili cheese fries … we decided to go to Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Café. I wanted to grab a seat out on the back deck facing the castle. I know you can’t see the fireworks from here, I just wanted the view of the castle and the peace and quiet.

No such luck on the peace and quiet part. There were quite a few very noisy and nasty newbies out there who were determined that they had the best seat in the house … even though I warned them they would not be able to see anything. Oh well. I tried.

After about 20 minutes, the fireworks started and then came the mad dash out of the area. Tables were pushed aside, chairs were overturned and there was quite the colorful language being spewed about. It was sooooo hard not saying, “I told you so.” There was this one kid, though, who was determined. He was nearly upside down and hanging half way over the railing and yelling, “I can see them! I can see them!”

Ok kid, you look comfy.

Oh, and, by the way … the chili cheese fries we D-LISH!

After dinner, we strolled (nope, no meandering) around Tomorrowland a while just enjoying the night. As we were walking, I noticed this woman walking and texting and not paying attention to where she was going. Then … oops … she ran into the rounded end of one of those low benches and fell flat on her tummy right across the bench. If I had not just watched what happened, I would have thought she had purposely laid down there to rest or nap. She just went down so slowly and smoothly, it was pretty comical.

She wasn’t hurt, just embarrassed, so it was extremely hard for me not to bust out laughing. Of course, the hubby missed the whole thing, as usual, and it wasn’t nearly as funny trying to explain it.

What a comical and amusing end to a great day. It is always so hard to leave this park, but we did.

And, by the way, does anyone know what that horrible dirty feet smell is? I am hoping it is some kind of flower or plant and not my feet!

Well, it wasn’t my feet, anyway.

1982, 1985, Disneyland

Last edited by jusero; 06-09-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #29
rcsilverspring
Mouseketeer

I really feel like I am right there with you as you go through your day! Maybe one day we will be there at the same time again and actually get to meet up! I sure hope so.

]
Old 06-09-2012, 10:06 PM   #30
jusero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsilverspring View Post
I really feel like I am right there with you as you go through your day! Maybe one day we will be there at the same time again and actually get to meet up! I sure hope so.
I hope so Rosemary! And no lost grandkids this time.

1982, 1985, Disneyland

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: