Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2012, 11:27 AM   #1
TheMorgans
Mouseketeer

Flying with Tide pods???

Since we are going to be vacationing for 2 weeks this time one day of laundry is going to be a "must do".

I want to use the pods this time because they are small and won't take up much room and I can take the exact amount that I will need. Has anyone flown with a few Tide (or any brand) pods? Will they rupture in my checked bag (from pressure)? Can they go through security in a carry on bag? Other than double bagged in a zip-seal bag, where is the best place to pack them.

TIA

TheMorgans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

If these just contain powder, they can go in your carry-on. They may cause your bag to be searched, as they look kind of dense. If they have liquid in them, they have to go in your 311 bag. They should be fine in checked baggage - can't imagine why they would explode. If I were checking a bag, I would pack them there. Just pack them in a ziploc bag.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
LWQuestie
I'm the Rocketeer!

I haven't flown with Tide Pods, but I have flown with Dropps packs. I used a sample pack, with three Dropps inside. The package was a ziptop bag, which I double-bagged in a ziplock. Then that went in the 3-1-1 bag, into my carryon. No leak/burst issue. I was actually more concerned about other things in my 3-1-1 bag leaking onto the Dropps and disintegrating the little packets, than the laundry packs breaking.

LWQuestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Double bag them, put them in your checked luggage. Don't waste the space in carryon. But, be sure to double bag them...just in case.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:35 PM   #5
iconoclast hero
Earning My Ears

Laundry pods in carry on

I bought a package of these to do laundry while travelling. I had them shipped home with other equipment. I think if have used them again I shipped them out ahead of me (see packing info below) with other items, but I can't really remember.

I'm planning on being abroad for 2 weeks and figure a few loads of laundry are probably in order. I'm curious if anyone has actually packed these in a 3-1-1 bag and what the results were? My strategy has been to put them in an empty pill bottle. In the smaller pill bottle, I can fit 2 and in the larger pill bottle I can squeeze in 4. I measured the mass of water the larger bottle can hold and it was ca. 140 g so it is ca. 140 mL.

The way I see it, in the strictest sense, each pod is an individual container of < 100 mL so packing several into a pill bottle before putting in the 3-1-1 should not violate the 100 mL rule. From a practical standpoint, it may be a moot point because the smaller bottle will probably fit in the 3-1-1 bag more easily.
iconoclast hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:50 PM   #6
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

We flew last August with the Purex Ultrapacks (similar to Tide Pods), packed them in our checked baggage, and had no issues with them exploding.

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! **August 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:33 PM   #7
mieuxmew
Mouseketeer

I have personally flown with Tide Pods. I would not but them in your carry-on. Not worth the aggregation/hassle of being under the scrutiny of TSA in my opinion. I just put them into my checked bag.

I put each individual Tide pod in a zip lock snack bag then bagged all of them in a quart sized zip lock freezer bag. I put the bag in a small Snapware container. I have taken 12 of them - no problem! None ruptured/leaked. You could also use a disposable Glad container. Something will fit into the container on the way home.

For fabric softener, I have packed the Dropps fabric softener pods. They are packed with a powder, so less concern of leaking/rupture.

I have also flown with premeasured single load size ziplock bags of Tide powder with no problems.

Have a great trip!

Last edited by mieuxmew; 05-04-2014 at 02:39 PM.
mieuxmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:31 PM   #8
iconoclast hero
Earning My Ears

This assumes one checks baggage. I very rarely do so that is why I was asking about carry on. Given that I'm TSA PreCheck approved, hopefully they'll just let it pass if I decide to take them.

If I check anything for this trip, I'm going to get a Thule Round Trip and take my bike.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:44 PM   #9
Gracie09
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast hero View Post
This assumes one checks baggage. I very rarely do so that is why I was asking about carry on. Given that I'm TSA PreCheck approved, hopefully they'll just let it pass if I decide to take them.

If I check anything for this trip, I'm going to get a Thule Round Trip and take my bike.
Just put them in your 311 bag.
Gracie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:17 PM   #10
iconoclast hero
Earning My Ears

I will... I'll let you know what happens at PHL.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: