Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
BigDisneyOE
DIS Veteran

Sydney people, help!! (not Disney related)

Baby brother has sprung upon us he's getting married. He was thinking September but I gently pointed out we were at DCL and on the Disney Wonder in September. I tried to swing him towards coming on the Wonder with us and getting married there but he didn't go for it.

Now he's decided he's going to go for a 'Harbour Wedding' (whatever that is) in Sydney in early August. The kids are very excited to see their uncle again but it's been a decade since I was last in Sydney and I stayed with friends.

Does anyone have any cost effective recommendations for central Sydney that's near this 'Harbour Wedding'? TIA

BigDisneyOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
battymum
DIS Veteran

Like any major city - accommodation for a family is not going to be cheap.

We have stayed here

http://www.mirvachotels.com/citigate...-stay-holidays

It was OK - although its located more towards Chinatown / Darling Harbour, not the prettiest area, but perfectly safe and pretty close to the Powerhouse Museum which the children would enjoy.

Sydney Harbour is pretty big - there are many beautiful wedding locations, but a taxi would be easy enough to get in the afternoon (not so easy in the evening)
battymum is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-27-2012, 07:46 PM   #3
BecBennett
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

If you're not after anything too fancy there's a Y on the Park, which is on the side of Hyde Park, I stayed there with my family previously. We had our own bathroom so it's not too back packery, and it's in a pretty good location.

We've also stayed at Aaron's Traveller's Rest and the Hyde Park Inn, both really nice, but we haven't stayed at either for a fair few years, so not sure what the prices are doing now
Old 05-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #4
Mum from oz
DIS Veteran

I would go to a site like lastminute.com and see what you can get. I've used the, often and go for the secret 4 or 5* hotels. They have always been nice and anywhere is th CBD is a short taxi ride to the harbour.
2013 - Vegas Wedding, Western Caribbean Fantasy Cruise, WDW 1st time onsite!!
Mum from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
australiankaren
I do love me my free H20...thank you Mickey.....DVC member BLT & VB....I HATE #MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE

yep..secret hotels are the way to go, even priceline.com , hotels.com etc do aussie hotels
unless you have hotel points to use...

just be careful re parking fees, some hotels charge $45 a night for parkinglived that dream before
australiankaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:46 PM   #6
shushh
DIS Veteran

To stay anywhere near the harbour would be $$$!

Don't forget there's a free city shuttle that does a look which is free! It runs on weekends as well. The buses are green and come quite frequently. This will help free you up in the terms of accomodation location and save you some money.

Here is the map of the route
http://www.131500.com.au/tickets/upload/docs/555map.pdf
Info about the service
http://www.sydneybuses.info/free-shu...le-information
May 2011 Hong Kong Disneyland TR
Sep 2011 Salt Lake City, Disneyland TR
Dec 2012 France, Disneyland Paris, Italy, Cruise to the Holy Land
May 2013 Tokyo Disney Sea TR
Dec 2013 WDW, Caribbean Cruise Disney Fantasy, Caribbean Cruise Allure of the Seas, Disneyland
Jun 2015 Disney Wonder Alaskan Cruise
shushh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #7
australiankaren
I do love me my free H20...thank you Mickey.....DVC member BLT & VB....I HATE #MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE

i also forgot, try looking in north Sydney...you get great deals and its a few train stops away/ ferry.

you can also get some great apartment/ hotel deals in Parramatta....30 min on train, 45 min on rivercat..a great trip....but I'm just biased

And parra also has Church St with fantastic dining, river theatre, harry d wheels, shopping, movies, rosehill racecourse, restaurants along the Parramatta river which they have spent a motsa on doing up..very nice.....great place to stay if looking for something different.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:01 PM   #8
ExcitedSam
Mouseketeer

Does harbor mean boat? We went to a reception on a boat on the harbor and stayed at the ibis king street warf, walking distance to the harbor where the boat left from (and many boats leave from) but yes nothing there is going to be cheap at all!
Old 05-27-2012, 09:24 PM   #9
BigDisneyOE
DIS Veteran

Ah thanks everyone. Lots of good options to look at here. I know I'll need somewhere for the four of us, which seems to throw a lot of hotels out. I looked on Wotif but the choice is massive as I'm not sure of area. The only places I really know in Sydney are (don't laugh Karen) Auburn and Parrematta (I actually come from Paremata in NZ). I thought that area was too far out based on how many times I was car sick on the way to the Sydney Harbour Bridge last time I was there. I'm going to look at the free transport map now, as that may help me get an idea of what is feasible with a couple of 4.5 year old boys. Talk about throwing the entire family for a loop and our Mother doesn't know yet as she's off annoying the Dutch at the moment.

No idea if harbour means boat. I've asked my brother but he's probably not at his laptop at the moment. I would hope it's a boat as the kids would love the boat and it would keep them occupied rather than telling everyone that their grandma is selfish in loud voices.

BigDisneyOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:28 PM   #10
australiankaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDisneyOE View Post
Ah thanks everyone. Lots of good options to look at here. I know I'll need somewhere for the four of us, which seems to throw a lot of hotels out. I looked on Wotif but the choice is massive as I'm not sure of area. The only places I really know in Sydney are (don't laugh Karen) Auburn and Parrematta (I actually come from Paremata in NZ). I thought that area was too far out based on how many times I was car sick on the way to the Sydney Harbour Bridge last time I was there. I'm going to look at the free transport map now, as that may help me get an idea of what is feasible with a couple of 4.5 year old boys. Talk about throwing the entire family for a loop and our Mother doesn't know yet as she's off annoying the Dutch at the moment.
dont rule us out......catch the river cat from parra, the boys would love it and it takes you straight to circular quay.....runs good hours......they'd also love the express trains from parra as well...25 min to central station, 35 min to circular quay

and the Dutch do need annoying, can she also pop into the greeks and give them a kick up the Disney wonder!!
Old 05-27-2012, 09:46 PM   #11
battymum
DIS Veteran

thats really gonna throw a spanner in your wallet a month before your trip!

I know that citigate hotel has rooms with two queen beds - so your family will fit there.

Will you hire a car? Are your kids still in carseats, cause while taxis may carry a child seat, I doubt they will carry two.

Taxis can be very difficult to get in the city in the evening, you need to secure your transport home, you dont want to be waiting in a taxi queue with two 4.5year olds at midnight!
battymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:56 PM   #12
BecBennett
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

I actually think I'm going to back Karen with the Parramatta option. It's further away, but much more affordable.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:07 PM   #13
australiankaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecBennett View Post
I actually think I'm going to back Karen with the Parramatta option. It's further away, but much more affordable.
see..i do come up with cunning plans every now and again......

Old 05-27-2012, 11:39 PM   #14
BobbyRach
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by australiankaren View Post
see..i do come up with cunning plans every now and again......

We stayed in Sydney last weekend with my 5 year old nephew and I would also vote Paramatta. It is very easy to get into the City from there and you can get more of an apartment style for the family.

However we stayed at the big 4 holiday park at Parklea and I would NOT recommend it. Normally I love big 4's but this one is just not up the same standard with a lot of residential houses surrounding it (right near us there were 2 men drinking on their balcony at 7am in the morning!). They also advertised on their website they had a jumping pillow and upon arriveal they informed us that it had been broken down since December last year??? This park definitley does not have the same excellent facilities as other Big 4's...

When we drove through Paramatta we wish we had stayed there - it looked like a lovely area to stay and not the cost of the City!
BobbyRach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:48 PM   #15
shushh
DIS Veteran

Ok so I couldn't resist looking...
A$200/night. Good price for anything near circular Quay.
http://www.vrbo.com/396416#

Have a look around VRBO as well. Other apartments at other locations available. I just picked one the first one that was reasonably priced.
May 2011 Hong Kong Disneyland TR
Sep 2011 Salt Lake City, Disneyland TR
Dec 2012 France, Disneyland Paris, Italy, Cruise to the Holy Land
May 2013 Tokyo Disney Sea TR
Dec 2013 WDW, Caribbean Cruise Disney Fantasy, Caribbean Cruise Allure of the Seas, Disneyland
Jun 2015 Disney Wonder Alaskan Cruise
shushh is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: