Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 07:54 AM   #1411
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ireneryan View Post
I'm so glad to see you back posting again! Your info is invaluable!

This is our first ever trip to WDW and we're staying at GF for the first half and Poly for the second half. We paid for TPV and I put in a request for Conch Key, I am soooo excited to find out it's your favorite building! Is there a specific floor or room that's worth putting a request in or are they all equally wonderful there?

We have a similar concern to the other poster about the Gingerbread House, we're there in early November. I saw that last year the House opened on Nov 14 which was 10 days before Thanksgiving. 10 days before this year would be Nov 12 which would make it possible for us to see, do you think, that might happen, or am I just dreaming? Thank you for all your work on this thread!
Aww, thank you, so sweet of you. I'm very excited for you, what a great split for your very first trip!

We prefer an upper floor in any building, we like having an overhead view of the grounds. With a TPV, you will likely have a beautiful view no matter which room you are assigned - but if you get in it and it isn't what you hoped, call the front desk and ask if they have something more to your liking.

The dates for the gingerbread house are flexible, but I think you have a good shot at seeing it on November 12. It takes them a few days to get it assembled, so it may not be completed before you leave, but seeing the process is fun, too, I hear! (we've never been during November)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKaiTom View Post
I hope you get to see the Gingerbread house -- it looks so amazing in pictures, I can't imagine how nice it looks in person. Unfortunately, I will be long gone before it goes up.

Tom
You may miss the Christmas festivities, but October is our next favorite time of year for the World! LOVE F&W and MNSSHP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflygirl35 View Post
I can't wait to be back at the Grand....

We are looking to book Sept 2013 again!!!!

In the meantime - Boardwalk in January.....
YAY for 2013!! Very exciting about BWI in January, love the Epcot area and BWI is very pretty. Have you stayed there before?
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 10-01-2012, 08:05 AM   #1412
KonaKaiTom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
You may miss the Christmas festivities, but October is our next favorite time of year for the World! LOVE F&W and MNSSHP.

Don't tell anyone, I'm not missing Christmas festivities after all -- apparently I am going to be staying at OKW from December 26-January 1. I didn't know the elves were making plans.

Tom
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2012, 08:47 AM   #1413
ireneryan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Don't tell anyone, I'm not missing Christmas festivities after all -- apparently I am going to be staying at OKW from December 26-January 1. I didn't know the elves were making plans.

Tom
October and December, Best of both worlds, so super awesome!!! Have a great time!
Old 10-01-2012, 08:56 AM   #1414
KonaKaiTom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ireneryan View Post
October and December, Best of both worlds, so super awesome!!! Have a great time!
Thanks and you as well!

Tom
Old 10-01-2012, 01:21 PM   #1415
Butterflygirl35
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post

YAY for 2013!! Very exciting about BWI in January, love the Epcot area and BWI is very pretty. Have you stayed there before?
We always visit the area but never stayed there.... It is BWV as we are renting points.... We always loved the area and wanted to try it and got a great deal... But Grand Floridian can not be beat... More excited for Sept that January.. LOL
Old 10-02-2012, 06:40 AM   #1416
MommyGina
DIS Veteran

Hurray! We booked our July vacation on Saturday for the GF RPC with TPV! I am so excited!!! I know, July is a long way away, but something to look forward to!
Old 10-02-2012, 08:12 AM   #1417
HFC1969
Grand Floridian Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyGina View Post
Hurray! We booked our July vacation on Saturday for the GF RPC with TPV! I am so excited!!! I know, July is a long way away, but something to look forward to!
Congrats!

We might see you then... We are headed down in 3 weeks for MNSSHP and plan on booking July 4th week again. My the fireworks.

The weather here in STL is already to cold for me... So hopefully in a couple weeks.. MCO / GF will have some super warm weather.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:27 AM   #1418
KonaKaiTom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyGina View Post
That's awesome, Gina! It will help get through the cold, snowy, New England Winters! I'm a little anxious as I will be at GF during the 1 year anniversary of the October snowstorm. I, fortunately, have a generator and have the house hardwired for it -- but had to live on generator power for 11 days! I ended up with 14 neighbors staying with me by day 3. The good news -- 7 of the 8 houses on my street now have generators!

Tom
Old 10-02-2012, 09:37 AM   #1419
mariamouse
Believes in the magic!!
Should know the difference between the Tag Fairy and Tinkerbell!!! ;)

Quote:
That's awesome, Gina! It will help get through the cold, snowy, New England Winters! I'm a little anxious as I will be at GF during the 1 year anniversary of the October snowstorm. I, fortunately, have a generator and have the house hardwired for it -- but had to live on generator power for 11 days! I ended up with 14 neighbors staying with me by day 3. The good news -- 7 of the 8 houses on my street now have generators!

Tom
Oh, I remember that freak October storm very well.

Thankfully, the chances of that happening again this year are slim to none! Have a great trip.
GF GV- January 2014, BCV- January 2013, GF LV- December 2011, AKL PV & GF GV- February 2007, BWI WV CL- February 2006, AKL SV- February 2005, Polynesian GV- February 2004, WL WV & Polynesian GV- November 2002, BC GV- February 2002, CR GV- February 2001, POFQ- February 1996, CBR- February 1994
Old 10-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #1420
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

I just received this Tables In Wonderland email. Seems a little last minute so I'm guessing they had cancellations?

Citricos
Chef’s Domain
Selbach-Oster Estate with Johannes Selbach
Friday October 5, 2012. 6:00pm – 8:30pm

Reception
Selbach Riesling Classic 2010

1st course
Lump Blue Crab Salad with Curry Aioli
Selbach-Oster Kabinett 2010

2nd course
Pan Seared Bronzini with Roasted Squash and Spiced Apple Relish
Graacher Domprobst Spaetlese Halbtrocken 2005

3rd course
Buttered Escargot with Potato Cake and Creamy Mustard
Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Spaetlese Trocken 2007

4th course
Crispy Fried Veal Cutlet with Spaetzle, Lemon Drizzle, Roasted Onions and Capers
Bernkasteler Badstube Spatlese 2008

5th course
Chef Erich’s Dessert Extraordinaire Plate
Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Auslese 2007

Johannes Selbach comes from a family of wine producers and shippers in the heart of Germany`s famed Mosel wine growing region. Mr. Selbach has firsthand experience both in producing and marketing wines. He studied oenology at the state viticultural research and experimental institute in Trier. After completing undergraduate studies in economics, he graduated from the business school of the University of Cologne in 1986. He spent the 1984 academic year studying at Penn State University and conducting research for his thesis on the marketing of German wines in the United States. Mr. Selbach worked for the German Wine Information Bureau, New York, in 1985, parts of 1986 and in 1987 as trade consultant. In January 1988, Mr. Selbach returned to Germany, became partner in the family estate, Weingut Selbach-Oster, and family winery, Weinkellerei J. & H. Selbach. In July 1993 the Selbach-Oster estate was handed over to him by his father Hans Selbach. He has since grown the Selbach-Oster estate to become an increasingly important part of the family business with additional investments in vineyards and quality. Selbach-Oster has, for many years, consistently received very favorable reviews by German and international publications. It is ranked amongst the “Top 100” in Germany. Aside from developing their own domaine, Weingut Selbach-Oster, Mr. Selbach and his family continue to grow the reputation of their négociant or wine merchant house, J. & H. Selbach, as a top source for some of the finest wines from Germany. Mr. Selbach got married to his wife Barbara in 1989. They have two children, Hannah and Sebastian.

Dinners are limited to 10 guests each. These dinners are open to all Guests, and are not Tables in Wonderland exclusive. $155 per person, plus tax. Gratuity is included.

To book, please call 407-824-3988 or via email at Keith.Gimbel@Disney.com. Credit card guarantee is required and there is a 72-hour cancellation fee. Please include a cell phone number when leaving a message or emailing for confirmation. Please indicate any special dietary needs at the time of booking.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #1421
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Guys, please keep this thread on topic. I just deleted more than 10 posts over a few pages that had nothing remotely to do with WDW or the GF, just a personal conversation among friends. The FAQ threads get unwieldy enough without all that off-topic stuff, and someone coming to this thread looking for information on the GF is not going to want to wade through post after post of personal chat.

If you want to talk about other topics, please use PMs, or check out our Community Board. Thanks!
Old 10-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #1422
DetTigsGal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKaiTom
I'm going to request a Sago marina view first choice with Conch being my second choice. Thanks everyone for the guidance and suggestions. 3 weeks to go and I will be in WDW!!!!!

Tom
I am obviously way behind...This is what we request and will again the next time we are at the Grand. We really enjoyed it there

We are off this wknd to visit the college son in Indiana and my mom is coming down from Michigan...so it should be a good time.

Tom- I'm sure you noticed that the news media took note of us over here in this part of the state....once again for the wrong reasons
CR - 1996 (DS19 1st Trip), 1999 (DS14 1st Trip), 2003, 2007
GF - 2009, 2010
Grand Californian - 2011 (DS19 Graduation Trip)
WL CL - 2012
Old 10-02-2012, 06:59 PM   #1423
Butterflygirl35
DIS Veteran

Any word when beach walls will come down??
TIA
Old 10-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #1424
KonaKaiTom
DIS Veteran

18 days to go, and now I'm wondering - I've booked a Outer Building, Garden View and was going to requet Sago Cay Marina view room in online checkin. Now I'm thinking that I might want to upgrade to TPV instead, is that something easily done once I get there? For example, if I check in and the room looks as fabulous as everyone describes GF and I look out on the balcony and am content, I might just stay there. But, what if I get there and say to myself, yes we are only going to sleep here, but when I have my morning coffee I want to be looking at the Castle -- are there generally TPV rooms available for a paid upgrade or should I book one from now?

TIA,

Tom
Old 10-03-2012, 11:38 AM   #1425
BCV23

Loves the magic of the trains
Would enjoy a magical meal at the castle
Loves the name Hatuey!

I received that email, too, Kook. Wish we would be there. We love Citricos. I saw the question about Citricos vs. Narcoossees. My DH and I prefer the food at Citricos. Although we love seafood, those dishes at Narcoossee's are a bit overwrought for my tastes. Lots of soy sauce currently which I don't enjoy. My two cents on that discussion. On the other hand, DD and DIL still love Narcoossees. Two good choices.

Does anyone else miss lunch at Narcoossee's? We loved spending the morning at MK and then taking the launch to lunch at Narcoossee's.

Tom, I don't know the answer to your question as we've not tried to upgrade after the fact. We love marina view from Sago Cay, Conch Key and Sugar Loaf. Maybe someone else has tried? If you really want TPV, I would book it now. That way you don't have to worry about availability nor will you waste time once you're at the resort.

We've been to WDW in every month except August. I love every month from October to very early May. I think each of those month has advantages. Summer...not my cup of tea. Of course, end of Nov through early January does have those wonderful decorations at the GF. Very special time indeed.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: