Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #1231
KonaKaiTom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetTigsGal View Post
Where are you...we are in forgotten Western CT ( as in....we break into your show because there is a storm that is looking menacing. Yeah, thanks for the heads up it's already been through here

Hope your back is on the mend
I work in forgotten Western CT -- Middlebury, but live in West Hartford. How about you?

Tom
Old 09-14-2012, 02:24 PM   #1232
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKaiTom View Post
You have my sympathy -- I've been on flexeril, heating pad, 800mg of motrin and bedrest since Tuesday afternoon myself. Finally standing upright!

Tom
Sorry to hear you've been fighting it, too. I hope you continue to improve.

My treatment plan sounds quite similar to your treatment plan, except I decided not to take the Flexeril. DH tried to get me to use it, but I relied on the Motrin, alternating heating pad/cold packs and a few Tylenol 4. I was this close to the Flexeril, but started to feel better so decided to wait and see. Is it helping you? Must be, if you are standing upright today (congrats on that accomplishment!) - maybe I'll use it quicker next time.

I've forgotten - did you go on your big trip with the niece yet? If so, I hope you had a fantastic time. If not, hope you are completely healed before heading to the World.

DetTigsGal - I laughed at your description of the "forgotten" part of CT.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #1233
KonaKaiTom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
Sorry to hear you've been fighting it, too. I hope you continue to improve.

My treatment plan sounds quite similar to your treatment plan, except I decided not to take the Flexeril. DH tried to get me to use it, but I relied on the Motrin, alternating heating pad/cold packs and a few Tylenol 4. I was this close to the Flexeril, but started to feel better so decided to wait and see. Is it helping you? Must be, if you are standing upright today - maybe I'll use it quicker next time.

I've forgotten - did you go on your big trip with the niece yet? If so, I hope you had a fantastic time. If not, hope you are completely healed before heading to the World.

DetTigsGal - I laughed at your description of the "forgotten" part of CT.

Thanks for the kind thoughts. 2 years ago next month I was in a very bad car accident -- 5 cars -- I was the first one hit -- guy rearended me because he was texting and not paying attention and didn't notice the SUV that was at a dead stop in front of him on the highway. He knocked me clear across 3 lanes of highway and proceded to hit the car in front of me, chain reaction style into the car in front and once more. I woke up with the fire department cutting my car open and a tiny little female paramedic sitting on my lap taping my head to a backboard. Long story short, neck was broken at C1/2 and C4/5, fractured skull, ruptured eardrum, broken tibia, 3 crack ribs and tore all the muscles in my neck -- 7 months of physical therapy and I can walk!!!!!! I do look a little stiff most days and I have some permanent limitations, however, thanks to God, I'm almost normal!

Therefore, the flexeril is needed periodically, I start my day, everyday, with an 800mg ibuprofen at 5am, that way I can get out of bed at 5:45am. I have a traction machine I use at home, as well as a microwavable heating pad I use at work. But, I'm not letting it stop me! I did my first 5k back in June, missed last night's due to next pain, but have another scheduled for September 30!!!!

Trip is 5 weeks from today!!! Can't wait!

Tom
Old 09-14-2012, 02:41 PM   #1234
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Quote:
Hello, GF lovers! Sorry I've been MIA since our trip, right after we returned home I started battling a back injury and haven't been able to get online. I'm finally feeling a little better, so I'll try to join in here within the next few days. I wanted to check in and say I've missed everyone, hope to be back to my normal self soon.

I hope everyone headed to the World has safe travels and a magical vacation.
We missed you

I hope that at least your vacation wasn't spent in pain. Follow Dr's orders and take it easy and rest.

Quote:
Thanks for the kind thoughts. 2 years ago next month I was in a very bad car accident -- 5 cars -- I was the first one hit -- guy rearended me because he was texting and not paying attention and didn't notice the SUV that was at a dead stop in front of him on the highway. He knocked me clear across 3 lanes of highway and proceded to hit the car in front of me, chain reaction style into the car in front and once more. I woke up with the fire department cutting my car open and a tiny little female paramedic sitting on my lap taping my head to a backboard. Long story short, neck was broken at C1/2 and C4/5, fractured skull, ruptured eardrum, broken tibia, 3 crack ribs and tore all the muscles in my neck -- 7 months of physical therapy and I can walk!!!!!! I do look a little stiff most days and I have some permanent limitations, however, thanks to God, I'm almost normal!

Therefore, the flexeril is needed periodically, I start my day, everyday, with an 800mg ibuprofen at 5am, that way I can get out of bed at 5:45am. I have a traction machine I use at home, as well as a microwavable heating pad I use at work. But, I'm not letting it stop me! I did my first 5k back in June, missed last night's due to next pain, but have another scheduled for September 30!!!!

Trip is 5 weeks from today!!! Can't wait!

Tom
How horrible. We've all seen those multi-car accidents and thought, "That could have been me," but you actually lived through it which must have been a nightmare. It seems you're counting your blessings and that is such a great attitude.

Continued recovery to you and k&a&c'smom
Old 09-14-2012, 02:42 PM   #1235
ireneryan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hello, GF lovers! Sorry I've been MIA since our trip, right after we returned home I started battling a back injury and haven't been able to get online. I'm finally feeling a little better, so I'll try to join in here within the next few days. I wanted to check in and say I've missed everyone, hope to be back to my normal self soon.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!!!
Old 09-14-2012, 08:15 PM   #1236
Retro Magic
Mouseketeer

How is the Alice Splash area coming along...has it opened yet? It was made to seem like it should be opening any day now, if not.
1997 Grand Floridian & Boardwalkšoš1997 All Star Sports & WDW Dolphinšoš1995 Marriot Orlando World Centrešoš1991 Grand Floridianšoš1988 Buna Vista Palace

Old 09-14-2012, 08:55 PM   #1237
dragonfly57005
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Magic View Post
How is the Alice Splash area coming along...has it opened yet? It was made to seem like it should be opening any day now, if not.
I can't wait to see pictures !
Old 09-14-2012, 10:41 PM   #1238
mariamouse
Believes in the magic!!
Should know the difference between the Tag Fairy and Tinkerbell!!! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed_wth_Triplets View Post
Hi all! Well I'm finally finding time to sit down and right a review of our trip at the GF. Honestly, it's kind of sad in a way since I don't really feel a part of this thread anymore since it was probably a once in a lifetime trip there for us...being not only that we got a great deal, but we could all stay in one room since my DD was 2. Anyway....it was AMAZING!!! Wow...what a difference in many ways. We have stayed at POR and ASmu family suites before.

The grounds are just beautiful. And while at first I felt it a bit "undeluxe" to have to walk outside to a seperate building to get to our room...as the week went on I enjoyed it as the grounds are just beautiful and peaceful...while the main building seemed busy at times.

Being able to see the castle, watch the fireworks, hear the castle show and train whistle all from our room/balcony was really so special and such a great memory for disney freaks like us! I just loved watching the monorail go by, and have a glass of wine on the balcony while watching Wishes with DH while the kiddos were sleeping was....magical.

The pools were great....and EMPTY while we were there!! LOVED the courtyard pool...and the kiddos loved the slide and afternoon games at the beach pool....the fencing was a bit cumbersome...but I can only imagine how beautiful when that fence is down!

The SMELL...oh what is that heavenly seaside SMELL of the GF?!? I wish there was a candle of it...I would have bought 10!!!

While the monorail was great...there was a time just about everyday when it was down...unfortunatley one morning when it was supposed to be so special and DD and I were going for a girls only breakfast at CRT. We always called the front desk first to make sure it was up and running...the communication was not good as we got there and it was down...told to take the boat...walked all the way back there to find out they weren't running yet...and took a bus...whew!! Again...I know they are machines and life happens...but for what people pay to stay there in large part for some for the monorail...it was ...well a bummer.

The boat was great...although when leaving MK after Wishes one night we were lined up...not very far behind...and the CM told us we were looking at a 35 minutes wait till the next boat?!? So we took the monorail.

In conclusion...it was a GRAND time and I wish I could be part of the club and stay again...I am jealous...very jealous But took many pictures and have many wonderful, magical memories!
I am so glad to hear that you had a great trip! I remember your debating between the YC and GF for a while and am happy to hear that you have no regrets (despite the monorail issues)! Please do not feel that you are no longer in "the club" just because you may not be staying there again in the near future! This FAQ is a place for all GF lovers-- not just those planning a future trip to the GF! We likely won't be at the GF for a while since we love other deluxes just as much (or more), but I still post here because of my happy GF memories and the great sense of community here.

Quote:

I am so sorry to hear about your back injury, k&a&c'smom! I hope your recovery is speedy and not too painful! I will be thinking of you.

And greetings to all of my fellow Connecticuters! I am from the (not as forgotten) southeast region, but am appreciating all of the CT lovin'
YC GV- January 2015, GF GV- January 2014, BCV- January 2013, GF LV- December 2011, AKL PV & GF GV- February 2007, BWI WV CL- February 2006, AKL SV- February 2005, Polynesian GV- February 2004, WL WV & Polynesian GV- November 2002, BC GV- February 2002, CR GV- February 2001, POFQ- February 1996, CBR- February 1994
Old 09-15-2012, 01:12 AM   #1239
tinkerbellmagic
don't hate me because I loved the castle cake

Hi, lol, I'm still laughing at the seedless comments.

Well I had originally wondered in a previous post if they had any beachy prints or prints showing the GF resort for sale in the GF gift shop and I'm here to answer that question... When we were at the GF gift shop last month, they had four prints. One was of the GF resort, one was the incredibly cute sand pail print, and the other two had to do with newlyweds/just married. I didn't pay too much attention to the newlywed prints, sorry. So I bought a smaller print of the GF resort. I love it. I wanted the sand pail one, but I didn't buy it (this time)
Old 09-15-2012, 07:42 AM   #1240
Blessed_wth_Triplets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellmagic View Post
Hi, lol, I'm still laughing at the seedless comments.

Well I had originally wondered in a previous post if they had any beachy prints or prints showing the GF resort for sale in the GF gift shop and I'm here to answer that question... When we were at the GF gift shop last month, they had four prints. One was of the GF resort, one was the incredibly cute sand pail print, and the other two had to do with newlyweds/just married. I didn't pay too much attention to the newlywed prints, sorry. So I bought a smaller print of the GF resort. I love it. I wanted the sand pail one, but I didn't buy it (this time)
I never saw prints?!? I would have loved one! Would you mind posting a picture?
Old 09-15-2012, 09:48 AM   #1241
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

KonaKaiTom - What a horrible experience, I'm so sorry to hear you had to go through it and still have effects. What perseverance, you are an inspiration!! I can imagine how daunting the road ahead looked when you began, as I get down thinking about my little problem. Wow.

WDWKOOK - Hello, my friend! Thanks for the kind words, I am getting better every day. I feel in tip-top shape after hearing Tom's story, isn't he incredible?!

Luckily, I didn't notice my back until I got home - looking back, I should have recognized a couple signs that it was getting ready to go out, but didn't. My bed wasn't comfy and I didn't sleep well, which is probably due to the onset of my problem, but we had a good trip.

How was your trip to WL? I'm still kicking myself for not getting in touch better so we could meet up. Next time for sure!

ireneryan - thanks!

mariamouse - thank you, I am much better. Little twinge, so I try to limit my time at my desk, but far and away better than last week.

Blessed_with_triplets - Loved your review, I'm so glad you had such a wonderful time at the Grand. We encountered monorail shut downs as well, but it didn't affect us as much, we didn't spend a lot of time at the parks and we had a rental car. Very annoying when you have to run to 3 different modes of transport!

As mariamouse posted, I hope you will feel welcome here, you do not have to be planning a new trip to join us. You can read, make comments - even answer questions, you're a veteran now!

I know it is harder to keep up when you aren't planning a WDW trip, so we understand if you aren't here every day. I do so hope you'll post, any time you want to pop in.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Old 09-15-2012, 10:46 PM   #1242
DetTigsGal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I work in forgotten Western CT -- Middlebury, but live in West Hartford. How about you?

Tom
We are in New Milford, you know something bad has happened if we make the news!!

k&a&c'smom- you see, unlike most states, CT has one network affiliate for the whole state. Usually the weathermen stand on the left of the screen- blocking us - and tells what is going to happen in the important part of the state. We say it's not news until it's east of Waterbury

Hope both of you are continuing to feel better
CR - 1996 (DS19 1st Trip), 1999 (DS14 1st Trip), 2003, 2007
GF - 2009, 2010
Grand Californian - 2011 (DS19 Graduation Trip)
WL CL - 2012
Old 09-15-2012, 10:49 PM   #1243
tinkerbellmagic
don't hate me because I loved the castle cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed_wth_Triplets View Post
I never saw prints?!? I would have loved one! Would you mind posting a picture?
Here's a photo of the print I bought at the GF gift shop (the Coke can is for size reference). The picture itself is only about the size of a postcard. The sand pail print was larger (see link under my photo).

And if you would like to drool over some sand pail photos, check out this post. I love her print collection!
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...0&postcount=81

Last edited by tinkerbellmagic; 09-15-2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:57 PM   #1244
DetTigsGal
DIS Veteran

mariamouse sure was a gorgeous weekend here, had a football game and band competition. All good Am a transplanted Michigander- although it has been 17 years- I miss it very much. Sometimes CT is just too Northeast for me
CR - 1996 (DS19 1st Trip), 1999 (DS14 1st Trip), 2003, 2007
GF - 2009, 2010
Grand Californian - 2011 (DS19 Graduation Trip)
WL CL - 2012
Old 09-16-2012, 10:29 AM   #1245
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

DetTigsGal - Though we usually get a shout out from the KC stations, I can definitely relate. We are in the western part of our state, in a rural area. When the Weather Channel first began, the "weather on the 8s" scroll would cut our state in half, showing the bottom half with the Southeast and the top half with the Midwest - never showing our area at all!!

I bought a large print map (shhh, my eyes are just fine) a couple years ago, and found that Missouri is on two pages. The split down the middle shows us neither on the left half nor the right half, so annoying. Wouldn't normally need a map for my own town/county/slice of the state, but lately we've had road closures and my kids call with requests for an alternate route home - they are stuck in no man's land without a detour sign.

tinkerbellmagic - beautiful print! It reminds me, I meant to purchase one for our new bathroom, but forgot again. I even had it on a list of things to look for while in the World. DD has an AKL print for her bedroom, bought it for her b'day years ago.

Thanks for the link, those sand pail prints are adorable. I wonder if they are still available anywhere, especially the second one?
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: