Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 08:09 AM   #961
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed_wth_Triplets View Post
What building are you in and what is your view? I'm so anxious to see where we end up!
We are staying in the Sugarloaf building. We are on the second floor, facing the marina. I did request both marina view (since I thought the construction would be starting at the courtyard pool) and not the first floor, so I did get our request.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:26 AM   #962
KB24
From DisneyLAND. Travels a lot.

does anyone know which rooms in sugarloaf have king beds?
Register to remove

Old 08-23-2012, 09:00 AM   #963
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Hello, GF lovers!! We're here at the YC, lovely as always. We haven't made it to SAB yet, it was raining when we got here yesterday and cool, hoping to swim today. Maybe head over to Epcot when DD gets back from her run.

JoBird - I enjoyed reading about your decision for Christmas, I can understand your thoughts. We were the same for this trip, and it didn't even have a holiday attached. I laughed at the comment about your DH.

mariamouse - great comparison of the two resorts, and your decision making process was interesting to read. Helpful for many, I'm sure.

BCV23 -

bdklein - glad to hear you arrived and are enjoying the resort.

KB24 - I do not know how many rooms in SL have king beds, or where they are located. My guess would be in various rooms throughout the building.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 08-23-2012, 09:04 AM   #964
Butterflygirl35
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdklein View Post
Splash area looks almost done fromsss what is visible over the fence. It has one of those big buckets that will tip over once the equilibrium is off balance. Plus it has several areas from which water will be squirting. And some little and climbing areas and slides I think as well. But I don't think it will open prior to the beach pool construction being completed IMO.
Thanks for the update!!
Old 08-23-2012, 09:52 AM   #965
cgulls
Mouseketeer

Splash Area theme

It looks like the Splash area has a theme!

http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/disn...tion/16192.htm
Old 08-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #966
KonaKaiTom
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the updates! Today is exactly 2 months till we arrive GF. I'm booked in an Outer Building Garden View. Based on construction -- any suggestions as to which building to request? Any personal experiences regarding getting the best view from a highly discounted room? As I mentioned, I will be at Buena Vista Palace prior to GF, so if there is a "good" time to go check in to try and get a MK view room, I'd appreciate the suggestion.

TIA,

Tom
Old 08-23-2012, 11:02 AM   #967
Jungle Cruiser
DIS Veteran

k&a&c'smom, sorry I missed your send off but so glad to hear you are at WDW! Have fun at the YC, and of course the GF! I can't wait to hear your impressions, I have to say the children's splash area looks really cute!

KonaKaiTom, my suggestions for building requests would be Sago Cay and Conch Key. They are away from the courtyard pool and the DVC construction. Other than that room requests at this point are tricky. So many people are trying to avoid the construction that I have to say I would keep it as simple as possible. As for an upgrade to a MK view, it can happen but it requires luck and pixie dust, unless of course you would like to pay for the upgrade.

I thought I would chime in about the GF at Christmas. I am a true GF lover and have stayed many, many times over the years. I can overlook the construction and would stay there in a heartbeat in December. However, unless you feel that way be wary, the construction has been pushed back about 10 days already, they are working up until mid-December. It is very unlikely it will be done earlier, so be aware that there still may be construction well into December.

BVC23 , hope you had a nice vacation!
Old 08-23-2012, 11:36 AM   #968
mtnmomma3
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgulls View Post
It looks like the Splash area has a theme!

http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/disn...tion/16192.htm
Holy Cow!! My kids are going to flip out over that! Even more excited for our trip next September- if that is at all possible!!!
Old 08-23-2012, 02:52 PM   #969
MommyGina
DIS Veteran

bdklein-the lady in the lobby is a widow and her name is Lynn. She is a very sweet lady. We have seen her 7 years in a row now. The last three years I have stopped and talked with her, as have my children.

Lynn and her husband used to go to the GF almost every night and listen to the music.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:27 PM   #970
JoBird
Proud Charter Member of the Tagless Clique
I almost got a tag about clean butter but then the tag fairy saw I don't like tags

k&a&c'smom-- So glad you made it there safely and are having a nice trip! Hope it's magical for you, with no icky Hurricanes or rain. Just sunshine and Pixie Dust!
Glad to know I'm not the only one who was wavering on where to stay... looking forward to your thoughts on the construction.
And yeah, my DH, bless his heart. He thinks the GF is his.

JC-- Thanks so much for your thoughts about Christmas time!
After much soul searching, I decided that ultimately I know in my heart that construction or no-- if I didn't stay at the Grand I'd be so very unhappy. I realized that it just doesn't matter and won't take away from my love of the resort, so no more wavering at all. It's done and I'm counting the days!! Thanks again!
Old 08-23-2012, 05:38 PM   #971
haleofafamily
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdklein View Post

But who is that woman in the lobby every day? A widowed long time guest I hear and prob a widow. But any other insight? Just so curious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonzerosum View Post
I've wondered this myself.
On our last trip, we were in the GF lobby waiting for our dinner reservation at 1900. The little girls in our group were dancing in their Cinderella dresses to the piano music. It was magical!

Anyway, I was telling my family about reading on the dis about an older woman who would sit in the lobby with her teddy bears. No one had seen her in a while and wondered what happened. A few minutes later my brother said you're not going to believe this but that woman is sitting right over there. My mom decided to go talk to her.

They had a lovely conversation that lasted for quite a while. She said that after her husband passed away it took her a long time to be able to come and sit in the lobby. But she is enjoying it again and the memories it brings of him.

My mom and I are hoping to stay at GF (1st time for both of us) in Feb. I really hope we see her again.

Me DH DS(16) DS(14) DS(11) DS(10) DD(9) DD(7)
June 85 Off, July 92 Off, June 00 AsSp, Sept 04 SSR, May 06 OKW, Sept 07 WL/BCV, May 08 BWV, Dec 08 SSR, Mar 09 Off, Sept 09 AKV Kidani/OKW, May 10 POP/VWL/Dol, Dec 10 AKV, FEB 11 BCV (1st Princess Half Marathon), FEB 12 Poly (2nd Princess Half Marathon), May 12 AKV and THV(Family Reunion!!) Nov 12 FLE Preview SSR/AoA, FEB 13 CSR/YC (3rd Princess Half Marathon), OCT 13 CSR (Grand Gathering)
Old 08-23-2012, 09:00 PM   #972
Mrsdonaldduck
Earning My Ears

We are at the GF now and it is just so wonderful!!! However, I must say it seems much quieter than the past few years we have visited. The pools are very quiet and we have had no problem getting a beach chair. This is unusual compared to our past several August visits. We visited poly and it was PACKED! The monorail has been working fine for us and we only notice the construction when at the beach pool. They have done a great job accomodating folks during it.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:57 PM   #973
Butterflygirl35
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsdonaldduck View Post
We are at the GF now and it is just so wonderful!!! However, I must say it seems much quieter than the past few years we have visited. The pools are very quiet and we have had no problem getting a beach chair. This is unusual compared to our past several August visits. We visited poly and it was PACKED! The monorail has been working fine for us and we only notice the construction when at the beach pool. They have done a great job accomodating folks during it.
Glad you ate having a great trip!!! Enjoy!
Old 08-23-2012, 10:42 PM   #974
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyGina View Post
bdklein-the lady in the lobby is a widow and her name is Lynn. She is a very sweet lady. We have seen her 7 years in a row now. The last three years I have stopped and talked with her, as have my children.

Lynn and her husband used to go to the GF almost every night and listen to the music.
Thanks. We have said hello as well.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:59 PM   #975
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Just a bit more info/stuff. The beach pool constructn has had a minimal impact on us. We have spent a lot of time in both pools. Perhaps if we were previous guests here we might have noticed an impact. I do feel that the :DVC building is too close to the pool and takes away from the ambiance. Need to see once its done in terms of its outside decor and any extra foliage/vegetation to see the final impact. They are also building a fire pit somehwere near the DVC/beach pool. I can also say that since we are staying concierge we have been getting most of our adult and kids beverages from there. So beach pool food and bar impact has been minimal. I can also say that with one of pools closed or Gasparila it would definitely impact the trip and I might not stay here. For Gasparilas they are expanding it and adding more inside seating. The video arcade will be moved into the new expanded area.

Great trip. Leaving Saturday-week long visit. Any thing else, ask away.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: