Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 10:38 AM   #931
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudreyLovesTheMouse View Post
I just booked my first GF stay for next August! I was talking to "the mouse" regarding our annual WL trip this week, and found out that I could book the trip and modify if I get the Bounce back offer that's usually in my room. So, it's booked and my daughter (a teen) and I are over the moon! We decided to resist the park hopper, because we figured that would assure that we plan more time to enjoy the hotel. So, I'd like to know the special things that go on at the GF throughout the day. I'm sure you GF veterans know all the cool stuff!
Please keep in mind that we're not CL ($$$), but we'd rather be standard for the full 7 nights than shorten our stay.
Thanks in advance!
Did I mention I'm sooo happy?!!!
Welcome! Congrats on your first visit to the Grand, as others have posted, you will love it. Mother/daughter trips are just the best, DD and I have been traveling together for years. The GF is a perfect choice.

Don't worry, garden view rooms are great - we usually stay garden view if we do not choose club level. Wonderful views, we enjoy looking at the resort, so pretty.

Our favorite things at the resort are afternoon tea, sitting in the lobby listening to the band/pianist (or even just sitting in the lobby, even without music it is so relaxing), strolling the grounds, grabbing a snack at Gasparilla's and watching Wishes, lying around the pool with a drink, renting a SeaRaycer and scooting around the Lagoon, browsing the various shops, having breakfast or lunch at the Grand Floridian Cafe, having a leisurely dinner at Narcoossee's or Citricos, watching the Electrical Water Pageant, heading over to the Poly for b'fast at Kona/shopping at Boutiki.

These are just some of our favorite things - if I think of more, I'll add to the list. The GF is such a beautiful resort, we enjoy just being there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnkrbl289 View Post
You are absolutely going to love it! My daughter and I are planning on going next year in August with her two sons and myself. Son-in-law is not a real Disney person like we are. We just love the Grand!!!!
You are going to have a wonderful time, hopefully the majority if not all the construction will be completed. Those non-Disney people are hard to figure, right?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobin04 View Post
You will love it! We have stayed Club Level and in a standard room, and both were wonderful!

I'll be interested to hear what people have to say about the special things that go on. When are you going? We were there the week before Christmas and the lobby was decorated SO nice! The gingerbread was awesome. That was definitely special.

I also love to shop at the bath store upstairs in the main building.

We also enjoy walking over to the Poly and walking around. DH loves sushi so he gets that and we eat in Captain Cook's at the Poly.
Isn't Christmas at the Grand beautiful?! DD's favorite time of year to visit.

We love having sushi at the Poly, so glad they added the sushi bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phyllis1966 View Post

The walk to the Poly is lovely, especially at night when the tiki torches are lit. We usually walk there for breakfast at Kona one morning, and walk back from dinner at Kona one night.

As far as doings and happenings, there are kids' activities every afternoon by the beach pool (DD is 13 now, so that's out!), and every night (I think) they show movies by the courtyard pool. Other than that, I don't know of any special activities during the summer - maybe someone who has visited recently can tell us more.

A mother-daughter spa day would be nice. They have facials, leg and foot massages, reflexology, manicures, pedicures, etc. I'm not a full-body massage person, but the leg and foot massage and reflexology are 2 things I've tried, and they were heavenly...easier on the pocketbook, too!

Have a great time!
More great GF things. We love having easy access to the Poly.

Not sure what they will do with the movies by the pool when the courtyard pool is closed for refurb - hopefully, move it to the beach pool.

Spa days are great, too. The GF spa is currently closed, but they are shuttling guests to the SSR spa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudreyLovesTheMouse View Post
I had no idea you could walk over to the Poly. That's great.
We'll be there the last week of Aug 2013. This year (in 4 days) we're at WL.
So close! Safe travels and enjoy the Lodge - so beautiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garada3 View Post
DH tried to surprise me with a birthday weekend at the GF, but there are no RPC rooms available!

He tried for October 18 thru 21, just before the huge convention being held at WDW. The GF is listed as sold out on the convention site.

Do you all think pre- convention vacations are causing the lack of availability? Could it be the construction?

It figures that he decides to be romantic and take me to my favorite place and it is all sold out
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflygirl35 View Post
I would keep checking... Sometimes things come up...

Good luck!
Of course, it would figure, wouldn't it?!

I was just going to post the same as Butterflygirl, keep checking. I've had good success at snagging a room, even after weeks of being sold out. Good luck, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary T in PA View Post
Headed to GF RPC in late Nov! Looking forward to it! Several years ago, we stayed in SL. We have always wanted to stay in the Main Bldg.
You will love RPC, congrats on the booking. Very exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas130 View Post

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have a Magical trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks! Can't wait.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 08-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #932
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
K&a&c'smom: Yay! Have a great time!!!!

Pas130: Thanks! So excited!!! fifth Disney trip this year and still excited as if it has been years.. Lol
I know what you mean - we've never done 5 trips in a year, but have been 3 times a couple years. Just as exciting.

Thanks for the well wishes, I know we will have a wonderful trip. We are not park commandos, we get in a lot of resort time.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #933
baler31
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
pas, you did NOT miss the send off, we were out of town retrieving younger DS's car! It has been a hectic weekend. lol

Thanks for the well wishes, everyone, we leave tomorrow for the YC.

I know there are a few new posters, when I get a chance I'll go back and read, if any questions are still unanswered I'll try to catch them up before I go. I'll have my laptop, so I'll try to post from the World.
Enjoy your trip. Are you doing a split with YC/GF ? Hope the weather is decent for all of us with upcoming trips. We will arrive on 8/31, curious to see how the construction has changed since our June trip.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #934
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by baler31 View Post
Enjoy your trip. Are you doing a split with YC/GF ? Hope the weather is decent for all of us with upcoming trips. We will arrive on 8/31, curious to see how the construction has changed since our June trip.
Darn, we miss you by 2 days! Yes, we are doing a YC/GF split - 3 nights YC, 4 nights GF. Woohoo! SAB, here we come.

I, too, hope the weather is good. I've been watching it as we approach and it has looked like a lot of rain. I hope it is less than it sounds, per usual.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #935
KonaKaiTom
DIS Veteran

I am going to have 1 full day of just me - I have conference first, then my niece is flying down to join me so she won't miss school. Which means I have Friday October 26th all to myself. Any suggestions as to what to do for the day that doesn't make me look like a creepy, stalker predator? LOL -- I'm a single 50 year male -- I would normally play golf to kill the time but a major car accident 18 months ago left me with a broken neck (in 4 places) and that is no longer an option. I'm thinking exploring EPCOT and shooting photos might be a good way to kill the day, enjoy the sites and not look like Chris Hansen should be interviewing me on "To Catch a Predator" Also, any suggestions for lunch and dinner given the circumstances would be appreciated. Doesn't Germany have a huge buffet where they put you with strangers?

Many thanks in advance.

Tom
Old 08-21-2012, 04:40 PM   #936
Grumpy Grandma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKaiTom View Post
I am going to have 1 full day of just me - I have conference first, then my niece is flying down to join me so she won't miss school. Which means I have Friday October 26th all to myself. Any suggestions as to what to do for the day that doesn't make me look like a creepy, stalker predator? LOL -- I'm a single 50 year male -- I would normally play golf to kill the time but a major car accident 18 months ago left me with a broken neck (in 4 places) and that is no longer an option. I'm thinking exploring EPCOT and shooting photos might be a good way to kill the day, enjoy the sites and not look like Chris Hansen should be interviewing me on "To Catch a Predator" Also, any suggestions for lunch and dinner given the circumstances would be appreciated. Doesn't Germany have a huge buffet where they put you with strangers?

Many thanks in advance.

Tom
Epcot is one of my favorite solo days. I love to spend the time wandering around WS watching all the performers, a bit of shopping and of course eating. There are so many wonderful photo spots. You might find that one solo day isn't really enough!
Old 08-21-2012, 04:50 PM   #937
mariamouse
Believes in the magic!!
Should know the difference between the Tag Fairy and Tinkerbell!!! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
Darn, we miss you by 2 days! Yes, we are doing a YC/GF split - 3 nights YC, 4 nights GF. Woohoo! SAB, here we come.

I, too, hope the weather is good. I've been watching it as we approach and it has looked like a lot of rain. I hope it is less than it sounds, per usual.
I will cross the fingers for you! A helpful DISer like you certainly deserves to have more of this than this . Either way, I hope you have an absolutely magical time!

Quote:

Many thanks in advance.

Tom
Ha-- what a creeper! I think you would be fine going to any of the parks by yourself! Or just exploring the various deluxe resorts could be nice too... the monorail resorts will obviously be easy to access, but the Epcot resorts and AKL have so much to offer too!

As for lunch/dinner suggestions, you are correct that Biergarten seats you at a long table with strangers. I would also look into restaurants with bar areas where you can eat if that might make you feel more comfortable than sitting alone at a table-- I know that Flying Fish (at the BWI right outside of the World Showcase) has a large bar area and the food there is fantastic! Definitely a good option for dinner. ESPN Club right next door also could be fun due to its "manly" feel, although the food is nothing to write home about. Both Citricos and Narcoossee's at the GF also have bar areas where you can eat, although I believe the bar area at Narcoossee's is quite small. Hopefully others can chime in with additional recommendations!

Wherever you end up, I do not think you have much to worry about! Everyone will be so wrapped up in their own trip that they will likely not even notice that you are alone! Plus, you are certainly not the first WDW guest to ever travel there alone. Have fun and just ignore all the haters-- do whatever it is you want to do!
GF GV- January 2014, BCV- January 2013, GF LV- December 2011, AKL PV & GF GV- February 2007, BWI WV CL- February 2006, AKL SV- February 2005, Polynesian GV- February 2004, WL WV & Polynesian GV- November 2002, BC GV- February 2002, CR GV- February 2001, POFQ- February 1996, CBR- February 1994
Old 08-21-2012, 04:52 PM   #938
Jungle Cruiser
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Many thanks in advance.

Tom
I agree with my friend Grumpy Grandma EPCOT is a great choice if you are solo for a day. I have spent a weekend solo, after my DH left and waiting for my college age DD to join me. I had a fun weekend. I spent time in EPCOT and did a lot of resort hopping. It was fun to walk about the Boardwalk and go into the EPCOT resorts. As for dining alone, not a big deal at all at WDW. Just decide where you would like to eat, no one looks twice at someone eating alone.

k&a&c'smom, your trip is almost here! A YC/GF split sounds great. Do I remember correctly that you were able to get V&A's for you and your DD? We are lucky to have you as our "on the spot GF construction" reporter!!! Safe travels
Old 08-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #939
Grumpy Grandma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Cruiser View Post
I agree with my friend Grumpy Grandma EPCOT is a great choice if you are solo for a day. I have spent a weekend solo, after my DH left and waiting for my college age DD to join me. I had a fun weekend. I spent time in EPCOT and did a lot of resort hopping. It was fun to walk about the Boardwalk and go into the EPCOT resorts. As for dining alone, not a big deal at all at WDW. Just decide where you would like to eat, no one looks twice at someone eating alone.

k&a&c'smom, your trip is almost here! A YC/GF split sounds great. Do I remember correctly that you were able to get V&A's for you and your DD? We are lucky to have you as our "on the spot GF construction" reporter!!! Safe travels
Hi back at you!!!
Old 08-21-2012, 07:33 PM   #940
Butterflygirl35
DIS Veteran

New closure dates! Construction pushed back for Courtyard Pool to mid Sept!!

Gasparillas was pushed to Sept 4

Great news for those of us leaving soon

Last edited by Butterflygirl35; 08-21-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:00 PM   #941
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

KonaKaiTom - your post made me laugh! Don't worry, many people tour the World solo. You won't seem creepy, trust me.

Everyone has given great suggestions, I'll add a couple thoughts for lunch or dinner. Teppan Edo for hibachi style dining, or Tokyo Dining for sushi, I'm pretty sure they have a sushi bar. Speaking of which, Kona Cafe at the Poly has a sushi bar, as does Kimonos at the Dolphin. We've had sushi at all three, all are good.

Though I haven't tried it, I've read Rose & Crown Pub has decent food at the bar.

Jungle Cruiser - We do have V&A's, can't wait - although it is the next to last night, so I'm not trying to rush. I'll try to do an on-the-spot reporting of the construction.

Grumpy Grandma -

mariamouse - thanks for the well wishes, I'm sure it won't be as bad as it appears. They often project rain for Orlando that doesn't end up appearing, or if it does, it is on the other side of WDW.

Loved all your suggestions for solo travellers.

Quote:

YAY for us! Seriously, I'm glad more DISers will miss the worst of the construction.

Where is this listed? I'd love for you to post the link. ETA: I found it on the WDW website, I'm going to update the first page. Thanks for the info!

**Packing the laptop before I head off to bed! Check in with you all later!
Old 08-21-2012, 09:57 PM   #942
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

Quote:

I wonder if it gets too close to the holidays being pushed off any more.. if they will put it off until after the holidays...

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Old 08-21-2012, 10:07 PM   #943
Butterflygirl35
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink rules View Post
I wonder if it gets too close to the holidays being pushed off any more.. if they will put it off until after the holidays...
Only time will tell..... With Disney you just never know... They really don't like keeping us in the loop... Lol

So excited!!! Did online check in! Construction was delayed... Now only if the weather will cooperate.......
Old 08-22-2012, 06:41 AM   #944
pas130
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariamouse View Post
I will cross the fingers for you! A helpful DISer like you certainly deserves to have more of this than this . Either way, I hope you have an absolutely magical time!

Yes!!!! I agree!!!

ANTI RAIN DANCE FOR ALL OUR GRAND TRAVELERS

Quote:

That is fantastic!!!!

Quote:

Many thanks in advance.

Tom
No one will look at you weird....there are plenty of solo travelers and diners....all good!!! ENJOY!!!!

JungleCruiser*Sarah,forever in my heart*
Old 08-22-2012, 06:59 AM   #945
Blessed_wth_Triplets
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Where did you hear that?! That would be wonderful! Now we just have to pray that Issac moves!!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: