Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #916
tobin04
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudreyLovesTheMouse View Post
I just booked my first GF stay for next August! I was talking to "the mouse" regarding our annual WL trip this week, and found out that I could book the trip and modify if I get the Bounce back offer that's usually in my room. So, it's booked and my daughter (a teen) and I are over the moon! We decided to resist the park hopper, because we figured that would assure that we plan more time to enjoy the hotel. So, I'd like to know the special things that go on at the GF throughout the day. I'm sure you GF veterans know all the cool stuff!
Please keep in mind that we're not CL ($$$), but we'd rather be standard for the full 7 nights than shorten our stay.
Thanks in advance!
Did I mention I'm sooo happy?!!!
You will love it! We have stayed Club Level and in a standard room, and both were wonderful!

I'll be interested to hear what people have to say about the special things that go on. When are you going? We were there the week before Christmas and the lobby was decorated SO nice! The gingerbread was awesome. That was definitely special.

I also love to shop at the bath store upstairs in the main building.

We also enjoy walking over to the Poly and walking around. DH loves sushi so he gets that and we eat in Captain Cook's at the Poly.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:01 PM   #917
AudreyLovesTheMouse
Magic Kingdom Mad

I had no idea you could walk over to the Poly. That's great.
We'll be there the last week of Aug 2013. This year (in 4 days) we're at WL.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #918
AudreyLovesTheMouse
Magic Kingdom Mad

Butterfly...
I hope you have a great trip (of course you will). If you find out any "not to be missed" things at the GF, please let me in on the secrets.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #919
phyllis1966
DIS addict who eats vicariously through others on the Restaurant Board
It makes me feel old when a young whippersnapper calls me "ma'am"

The walk to the Poly is lovely, especially at night when the tiki torches are lit. We usually walk there for breakfast at Kona one morning, and walk back from dinner at Kona one night.

As far as doings and happenings, there are kids' activities every afternoon by the beach pool (DD is 13 now, so that's out!), and every night (I think) they show movies by the courtyard pool. Other than that, I don't know of any special activities during the summer - maybe someone who has visited recently can tell us more.

A mother-daughter spa day would be nice. They have facials, leg and foot massages, reflexology, manicures, pedicures, etc. I'm not a full-body massage person, but the leg and foot massage and reflexology are 2 things I've tried, and they were heavenly...easier on the pocketbook, too!

Have a great time!

May 2006::December 2006 - surprise 40th Birthday family trip!!!
November 2007::November 2009::November 2010
November 2011 - GF surprised us with upgrade to RPC-TPV!::October 2012 - GF surprised us again - upgraded to Sugarloaf for 20th Anniversary!::July 2014 - Aulani!

Our little family: DH and me ~ DD15 ~ Gracie
Old 08-20-2012, 05:21 PM   #920
Butterflygirl35
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudreyLovesTheMouse View Post
Butterfly...
I hope you have a great trip (of course you will). If you find out any "not to be missed" things at the GF, please let me in on the secrets.
Thanks

I will keep you posted
Old 08-20-2012, 06:29 PM   #921
garada3
DIS Veteran

No RPC availability

DH tried to surprise me with a birthday weekend at the GF, but there are no RPC rooms available!

He tried for October 18 thru 21, just before the huge convention being held at WDW. The GF is listed as sold out on the convention site.

Do you all think pre- convention vacations are causing the lack of availability? Could it be the construction?

It figures that he decides to be romantic and take me to my favorite place and it is all sold out
Old 08-20-2012, 11:18 PM   #922
Mary T in PA

Mouseketeer

Headed to GF RPC in late Nov! Looking forward to it! Several years ago, we stayed in SL. We have always wanted to stay in the Main Bldg.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:06 AM   #923
pas130
DIS Veteran

I missed my friend k&a&c'smom's sendoff

Have a fabulous YC/GF stay

butterflygirl....you are close!!!

JungleCruiser*Sarah,forever in my heart*
Old 08-21-2012, 08:20 AM   #924
Butterflygirl35
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas130 View Post
I missed my friend k&a&c'smom's sendoff

Have a fabulous YC/GF stay

butterflygirl....you are close!!!
Thanks!!!

Online check in day... Makes it real...
Old 08-21-2012, 08:21 AM   #925
Butterflygirl35
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by garada3 View Post
DH tried to surprise me with a birthday weekend at the GF, but there are no RPC rooms available!

He tried for October 18 thru 21, just before the huge convention being held at WDW. The GF is listed as sold out on the convention site.

Do you all think pre- convention vacations are causing the lack of availability? Could it be the construction?

It figures that he decides to be romantic and take me to my favorite place and it is all sold out
I would keep checking... Sometimes things come up...

Good luck!
Old 08-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #926
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

pas, you did NOT miss the send off, we were out of town retrieving younger DS's car! It has been a hectic weekend. lol

Thanks for the well wishes, everyone, we leave tomorrow for the YC.

I know there are a few new posters, when I get a chance I'll go back and read, if any questions are still unanswered I'll try to catch them up before I go. I'll have my laptop, so I'll try to post from the World.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 08-21-2012, 09:56 AM   #927
pas130
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflygirl35 View Post
Thanks!!!

Online check in day... Makes it real...
Which means tomorrow is SINGLE DIGITS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
pas, you did NOT miss the send off, we were out of town retrieving younger DS's car! It has been a hectic weekend. lol

Thanks for the well wishes, everyone, we leave tomorrow for the YC.:cool1
Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have a Magical trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-21-2012, 10:05 AM   #928
Butterflygirl35
DIS Veteran

K&a&c'smom: Yay! Have a great time!!!!

Pas130: Thanks! So excited!!! fifth Disney trip this year and still excited as if it has been years.. Lol
Old 08-21-2012, 10:21 AM   #929
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by samlab25 View Post
Hi everyone!

We've stayed at the Grand Floridian a few times before, but never in the main building. We typically stay Beach Club concierge lagoon view as we love the pool and access to both Epcot and Hollywood studios via walking.

We are looking at a Deluxe King Main Bldg Club Level for our visit 11/29-12/4. We have an 11 year old son and two adults. We would obviously need a room with the daybed for him, and I really like a balcony. I understand the two possible views are the spa and theme park. Obviously knowing there is construction going on, I would prefer a Theme Park view (who wouldn't). My question is twofold: how bad will construction be if we're overlooking the spa/new Grand Floridian and will GF make sure we are in a room with a daybed since there are three guests? Not sure if the room is really big enough for a rollaway and we like being comfortable. Also, do the king deluxe's with balconies have a daybed or are they configured without a daybed if they have a balcony? Lastly, has GF replaced the bedding with duvets yet, or are there will bedspreads? One of the pluses to the Beach Club concierge are the duvets and no more scratchy bedspreads and blankets?

Sorry for all the questions, I just wanted know know what I was getting into before I book. I am rarely lucky with rooms, so I'd most likely end up with king, no daybed, no balcony overlooking construction and I'd really like to avoid a few of those possibilities. Thanks for your help!
Welcome!! Glad you've joined us.

Unless things have recently changed, neither of the deluxe king room configurations have a daybed. There is a sofa, but they do not fold out. I know they have recently changed the guest maximum to 3 in these rooms, so I guess it is possible they have added a daybed. There is room for a rollaway, so maybe they assume you will use one.

There are 9 rectangular king deluxe rooms (Opt. 2) on the 2nd floor with jacuzzi tubs and balconies. Located over Gasparilla's, they have a view of the marina and the castle. These rooms have limited access (you cannot go directly from the main lobby to these rooms, you have to go to the 3rd floor, walk down the hallway and take the pool elevator to the 2nd).

The octagonal (or turret) king deluxe rooms (Opt. 1) have no balcony, a garden tub rather than jacuzzi and are larger. Located on either end of the 3rd, 4th and 5th floors around the atrium, these rooms have beautiful wrap around windows and a walk in closet area. Three of these rooms have windows that overlook both the beach pool/Wedding Pavilion and the courtyard, so you can see part of the castle. Three, on the end over the main entrance to the GF, overlook the monorail and beach pool/Wedding pavilion.

All GF rooms have a bedspread rather than duvet - except, possibly, some of the suites. (the bedding in some suites is the same as a regular room)

Here is a photo of the 2 different layouts:
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 08-21-2012, 10:21 AM   #930
pas130
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflygirl35 View Post
K&a&c'smom: Yay! Have a great time!!!!

Pas130: Thanks! So excited!!! fifth Disney trip this year and still excited as if it has been years.. Lol
I completely understand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: