Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 01:16 PM   #856
mag73
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson2422 View Post
We are also arriving on the 29th. I find it odd they have nothing on their website about the courtyard pool or Gasparilla closing. Is this info. they should have available by now? Seems to be very deceptive to not notify guests of major closures. Or does this mean that perhaps they have pushed the closures back further?
I hope so, but I wouldn't bet on it. Even when I called the resort I got conflicting answers from the CMs. I guess advertising major closures would be bad for business. For now we can just hope for the best.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:21 PM   #857
jackson2422
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag73 View Post
I hope so, but I wouldn't bet on it. Even when I called the resort I got conflicting answers from the CMs. I guess advertising major closures would be bad for business. For now we can just hope for the best.
Thanks.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #858
mag73
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdklein View Post
Are pool toys (water squishy balls, dive rings, etc.) allowed at the pool(s)?
Yes they are. We have purchased them right at the hotel. We bought small boats, and every year we get noodles for the kids. Years ago they sold them at the beach pool, then at Sandy Cove.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #859
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes they are. We have purchased them right at the hotel. We bought small boats, and every year we get noodles for the kids. Years ago they sold them at the beach pool, then at Sandy Cove.
Thanks.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #860
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Welcome back, pas, thanks for the photos!! Glad you loved the Lodge, isn't it pretty?! If the transportation were a tad better, we'd stay more often.

Quote:
We are also arriving on the 29th. I find it odd they have nothing on their website about the courtyard pool or Gasparilla closing. Is this info. they should have available by now? Seems to be very deceptive to not notify guests of major closures. Or does this mean that perhaps they have pushed the closures back further?
to the DIS and the FAQ.

Unfortunately, Disney rarely ever lets out construction schedules. I've never seen it posted anywhere on their website when there is a refurb or major construction going on at the resorts. I feel lucky they gave out the schedule we have posted on the first page, they so seldom do it. I'm sure they would have far less unhappy guests if they did post these things, not sure why they won't.

Quote:
Are pool toys (water squishy balls, dive rings, etc.) allowed at the pool(s)?
As far as I know, all the toys are fine. No tubes or floats that you can't see through (possibly none at all other than for babies).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBird View Post
.... It just looks so.... sad at the GF. I am completely terrified of getting there in Dec and not feeling like it's "home" anymore. I'm hoping that once construction is finished the Grand Vibe will return. If not, I might be "home"less for a bit.
It does look bad from above, but luckily most of the work isn't as noticeable from ground level. We were at US in May, and stopped at the Grand for some shopping and it didn't seem too different, especially indoors. Hopefully, it will be mostly back to normal by the time you go in December!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflygirl35 View Post
Well at least we can see the splash pad is lsowly moving along... LOL

I guess as for timetable... we all will just have to be patient... (Easier said then done)
The splash pad and pool bar do seem to be progressing slowly, to me at least. Not as though either will be finished by the end of the month! It may go much faster once all the prep work is finished.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 08-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #861
mag73
Mouseketeer

[Unfortunately, Disney rarely ever lets out construction schedules. I've never seen it posted anywhere on their website when there is a refurb or major construction going on at the resorts. I feel lucky they gave out the schedule we have posted on the first page, they so seldom do it. I'm sure they would have far less unhappy guests if they did post these things, not sure why they won't.]

I agree, if it wasn' t for this site and others like this one I would have never know about the closures. Also some TA aren't so forthcoming either, when I was pricing our upcoming vacation few weeks ago (after the construction info was already posted on this site) one TA told me that the only closure is the Spa and then she quoted me full rack rate. I would be extremely upset if I got there after paying full price only to find out the main pool was closed, and the only QS restaurant was closed as well.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:00 PM   #862
Mrsdonaldduck
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
Jungle Cruiser - LOL - no pressure. Yes, I'll take plenty of photos while there. Gasparilla's is due to close while we're at the GF, I'll get photos of that as well.

I wonder how pas130's trip is going/went? Hope she had a wonderful stay.

Mrsdonaldduck - Oh, no! I hope that is a typo, or misread of a memo, or something! I was sure they wouldn't close the courtyard pool until all of the beach pool construction was complete.

Tink rules - you are right, the Poly volcano pool will be very busy.
I really hope they do not close the courtyard
Pool until the beach pool area reopens! But the
Cast member who emailed me last night said courtyard
Pool was closing 8/23 and beach pool splash
Opening 8/31
Old 08-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #863
Lyons Family
Mouseketeer

PAS
Thanks for the picks and one of the most informative concise posts I have read in awhile.

Still debating if a vacation in Dec. would be worth the cost if the GF is still in construction.

WE do miss her!!

Safe travels to all

Sue and crew

WDW Wilderness Lodge 2001
WDW Wilderness Lodge 2004
WDW Wilderness Lodge 2005
Eastern Magic 7 Day Cruise 2006
WDW Grand Floridian 2007
Western Mariner of the Sea August 2008
Hawaii land vacation 2009
Freedom of the Seas Western Carribean 2010
WDW Grand Floridian June 2011
Freedom of the Seas Western Carribean 2012
Allure of the Seas Western Carribean 2013
WDW Wilderness Lodge 2014
Old 08-13-2012, 08:44 PM   #864
pas130
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the pics. Love that boat launch.
Me too!!! We had much better luck with boats this trip!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBird View Post
Welcome home Pas! Glad you had a wonderful time-- and that you loved the WL!!

Thanks for the pics. It just looks so.... sad at the GF. I am completely terrified of getting there in Dec and not feeling like it's "home" anymore. I'm hoping that once construction is finished the Grand Vibe will return. If not, I might be "home"less for a bit.
I am hoping for the same my friend It will be Grand again, I just know it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflygirl35 View Post
Thanks for the pics Pas130!
Glad you had a great time..

Well at least we can see the splash pad is lsowly moving along... LOL

I guess as for timetable... we all will just have to be patient... (Easier said then done)
Thanks!!! My DH & I agreed that it is surprising they will be working on the Poly before GF is done...What we loved the most about GF..the serenity wasn't there this trip, luckily we found it at WL! DH also thought it looked like another pool was in the works over by the DVC, but I didn't see what he referred to (it was from the monorail) I was too busy pouting with puppy dog eyes at the DVC building

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
Welcome back, pas, thanks for the photos!! Glad you loved the Lodge, isn't it pretty?! If the transportation were a tad better, we'd stay more often.
We had very good luck with the boats!!! And most of our fun was going back & forth...so relaxing!!!!!! It is so pretty, pictures do not do it justice! Glad I haven't been kicked off the thread for my latest change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyons Family View Post
PAS
Thanks for the picks and one of the most informative concise posts I have read in awhile.

Still debating if a vacation in Dec. would be worth the cost if the GF is still in construction.

WE do miss her!!

Safe travels to all

Sue and crew
She is still GRAND! And from the lobby, she is still amazing! It was hot! And we did a lot of pool time....I know I would have felt in those pools!

I agree with the cost factor Sue! And, you are welcome! I love the Grand, and DH still teases me that I had tears in my eyes taking those construction pics
Old 08-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #865
jackson2422
Earning My Ears

Quote:
[Unfortunately, Disney rarely ever lets out construction schedules. I've never seen it posted anywhere on their website when there is a refurb or major construction going on at the resorts. I feel lucky they gave out the schedule we have posted on the first page, they so seldom do it. I'm sure they would have far less unhappy guests if they did post these things, not sure why they won't.]

I agree, if it wasn' t for this site and others like this one I would have never know about the closures. Also some TA aren't so forthcoming either, when I was pricing our upcoming vacation few weeks ago (after the construction info was already posted on this site) one TA told me that the only closure is the Spa and then she quoted me full rack rate. I would be extremely upset if I got there after paying full price only to find out the main pool was closed, and the only QS restaurant was closed as well.
That was my thought. Would they close both pools at the same time? Doesn't seem like a logical thing to do. Also, I was told by Disney reservations that the beach pool was open? They didn't mention the splash pad, but said the beach pool was open, and QS dining would be available at the beach bar once Gasparilla closed.
I guess I'll be surprised when I arrive.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:11 AM   #866
Candy Orlando
DIS Veteran

k&a&c'smom,

Am I correct in saying, the beach pool has been open during construction and will remain open.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:54 AM   #867
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That was my thought. Would they close both pools at the same time? Doesn't seem like a logical thing to do. Also, I was told by Disney reservations that the beach pool was open? They didn't mention the splash pad, but said the beach pool was open, and QS dining would be available at the beach bar once Gasparilla closed.
I guess I'll be surprised when I arrive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Orlando View Post
k&a&c'smom,

Am I correct in saying, the beach pool has been open during construction and will remain open.
CandyOrlando is absolutely right, the beach pool has remained open throughout the construction. The beach pool bar and a large portion of the beach have closed and been under construction.

The pool bar is set to open on August 23, with a new grill area; on the 24th, Gasparilla's will close for refurbishment and CS will be served at the pool bar and pre-packaged food at Mizner's. At least according to the first estimate given, posted on the first page.

The splash zone is what we are discussing, few details have been given as to the exact date it will be completed. We are all just speculating they will want to have the splash area finished before closing the courtyard pool - seems like a good idea to spread out the usage of the beach pool. It is only speculation, though, CMs recently told one DISer they will close the courtyard pool as soon as the beach pool bar & grill are opened even though the date for the splash zone was pushed back. Past experience has made us question the info.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 08-14-2012, 03:37 PM   #868
corndog
My childhood grows increasingly hazy day by day

We just returned home from 8 nights at the GF. The beach pool was open the entire time.
03/01 - Port Orleans - Riverside
09/01 - Grand Floridian
04/02 - Wilderness Lodge
07/02 - BWI Concierge/GF Sugar Loaf Concierge
03/03 - Port Orleans - Riverside
03/04 - Port Orleans - Riverside
05/05 - Wilderness Lodge
09/07 - Polynesian
07/10 - Polynesian
08/11 - Polynesian
08/12 - Grand Floridian
07/13 - Polynesian
Old 08-14-2012, 03:40 PM   #869
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog View Post
We just returned home from 8 nights at the GF. The beach pool was open the entire time.
Thanks. Any impact from the construction? And how was the monorail working? There have been complaints about the monorail downtime.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #870
corndog
My childhood grows increasingly hazy day by day

Quote:
Thanks. Any impact from the construction? And how was the monorail working? There have been complaints about the monorail downtime.
Some impact from the construction I suppose, like no view from the Beach Pool, as well as a lot of noise. You definitely see and hear it happening. We were in Conch Key, so we didn't hear it from the room.

We never experienced any monorail problems. I do recall hearing an announcement while we were waiting for the resort monorail at the MK that the express was delayed because one of the monorails could only travel at very slow speeds. That's it, though.
03/01 - Port Orleans - Riverside
09/01 - Grand Floridian
04/02 - Wilderness Lodge
07/02 - BWI Concierge/GF Sugar Loaf Concierge
03/03 - Port Orleans - Riverside
03/04 - Port Orleans - Riverside
05/05 - Wilderness Lodge
09/07 - Polynesian
07/10 - Polynesian
08/11 - Polynesian
08/12 - Grand Floridian
07/13 - Polynesian