Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #811
DetTigsGal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed_wth_Triplets View Post
This will be our first and only stay at GF....can anyone recommend what I should request as far as room location? Keeping in mind we are booked standard garden view...so cheapest? Has anyone ever received an upgrade at check in? I know...one can dream!
We book garden view and request sago cay marina view. Have gotten it both times we have requested (T'giving week). It really is our favorite place
CR - 1996 (DS19 1st Trip), 1999 (DS14 1st Trip), 2003, 2007
GF - 2009, 2010
Grand Californian - 2011 (DS19 Graduation Trip)
WL CL - 2012
Old 08-10-2012, 02:15 PM   #812
mtnmomma3
Earning My Ears

Just booked main building/ theme park view for family for our Sept 2013 trip- so excited! Thank you so much for all the fab info and pictures! Looking forward to planning with you all for the next year
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-10-2012, 02:46 PM   #813
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag73 View Post
We have gotten upgraded several times, each time from
GV: MK twice, LV twice and last year to SL.
Only paid once for MK view and I would not do it again, the rooms are all the same, and how much time do you really spend looking out your window. Even when the kids were younger I think we only watched fireworks once from our balcony. The upgrades are wonderful but we had just as good of a time staying at the regular GV room.
Welcome! Very nice on the upgrades! I agree, we have paid for TPV once or twice, and loved it, but decided we'd rather have garden view or club. We spend a lot of time at the resort but not a lot on the balcony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetTigsGal View Post
We book garden view and request sago cay marina view. Have gotten it both times we have requested (T'giving week). It really is our favorite place
Welcome! We finally ended up in Sago Cay last year, it was a little too quiet for us but beautiful views of the marina and the rest of the GF. And so close to the bus stop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmomma3 View Post
Just booked main building/ theme park view for family for our Sept 2013 trip- so excited! Thank you so much for all the fab info and pictures! Looking forward to planning with you all for the next year
Welcome! Glad you've joined us, we all love helping plan a trip. Congrats on the RPC booking, have you stayed at the Grand before? You are going to love RPC, the lounge area is wonderful and it is so convenient.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 08-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #814
DetTigsGal
DIS Veteran

K&a&c'smom- thanks for the welcome! I love your thread and have found it very useful. When we first stayed at the Grand, I read everything you all had to say and came to the conclusion that sago was the place for us. We would go to Gasparillas in the morning before heading to the boat launch,monorail or self park. Really liked the courtyard pool and watching wishes from the boat launch or marina!

You were also my source of info when I made the sad decision to not stay at the Grand this Thanksgiving- the construction was just too much for us. We will be giving WL a shot- Kook also has a terrific thread- and will hopefully be back at the Grand next year

Again, thank you so much and I will continue reading
CR - 1996 (DS19 1st Trip), 1999 (DS14 1st Trip), 2003, 2007
GF - 2009, 2010
Grand Californian - 2011 (DS19 Graduation Trip)
WL CL - 2012
Old 08-10-2012, 07:32 PM   #815
Blessed_wth_Triplets
DIS Veteran

Somim thinking of requesting sago cay.....but can't decide if I should say marina or lagoon view? Does anyone have any "view" picture of standard garden view rooms? Tried googling it and couldnt come up with anything?
Old 08-10-2012, 07:47 PM   #816
Blessed_wth_Triplets
DIS Veteran

Ok....scratch that...I just looked at a resort map and sago cay seems like quite a hike from the beach pool...which will be the only one open when we are there! Should I request big pine key??...or are all the standard rooms facing the construction on the courtyard pool?
Old 08-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #817
mtnmomma3
Earning My Ears

This will be our first stay at the Grand We have stayed at the poly and BLT twice on previous trips... We have a large family ( 6 and twin 3 year olds- all girls) and I am a bit anxious about us all in one room but am hoping the RPC lounge will give us that extra space we need to relax looking forward to the ease of having the lounge nearby and an hoping it makes for a more relaxing, less rushed feel to the trip. My sweet hubby has an incredibly busy job in " real life" and I am hoping this will make the trip feel more relaxing for him I have also always wanted to stay here since I was a little girl so it is like a dream come true!
Old 08-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #818
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetTigsGal View Post
K&a&c'smom- thanks for the welcome! I love your thread and have found it very useful. When we first stayed at the Grand, I read everything you all had to say and came to the conclusion that sago was the place for us. We would go to Gasparillas in the morning before heading to the boat launch,monorail or self park. Really liked the courtyard pool and watching wishes from the boat launch or marina!

You were also my source of info when I made the sad decision to not stay at the Grand this Thanksgiving- the construction was just too much for us. We will be giving WL a shot- Kook also has a terrific thread- and will hopefully be back at the Grand next year

Again, thank you so much and I will continue reading
Glad we could help, sorry I didn't remember you. I try but as I age my memory doesn't always work like it used to. I see a name, try to recall if I have seen it before, and finally decide to welcome as if it's the first post.

Sorry you won't be staying at the Grand this T'giving, but I certainly understand. The WL is a beautiful resort, we love it and don't get there often enough. Sooo many favorites!

You're right, KOOK's threads are all so informative and friendly.

Quote:
Somim thinking of requesting sago cay.....but can't decide if I should say marina or lagoon view? Does anyone have any "view" picture of standard garden view rooms? Tried googling it and couldnt come up with anything?
Quote:
Ok....scratch that...I just looked at a resort map and sago cay seems like quite a hike from the beach pool...which will be the only one open when we are there! Should I request big pine key??...or are all the standard rooms facing the construction on the courtyard pool?
Did you look at the photos on the first page? I'm pretty sure I have some marina shots from Sago and Conch, I'll go check the post number in a sec.

It may look like a long way, but the resort is quite compact. You can walk from one side of the resort to the other in less than 5 minutes, easy. Don't let that sway you, honestly.

On the other hand, if you prefer to be closer, but want a marina view, you could request Conch Key, marina view. Big Pine Key garden views will all look right onto the courtyard, so if the pool construction is still going on that will be your view there.

HTH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmomma3 View Post
This will be our first stay at the Grand We have stayed at the poly and BLT twice on previous trips... We have a large family ( 6 and twin 3 year olds- all girls) and I am a bit anxious about us all in one room but am hoping the RPC lounge will give us that extra space we need to relax looking forward to the ease of having the lounge nearby and an hoping it makes for a more relaxing, less rushed feel to the trip. My sweet hubby has an incredibly busy job in " real life" and I am hoping this will make the trip feel more relaxing for him I have also always wanted to stay here since I was a little girl so it is like a dream come true!
The Grand is wonderful, especially RPC. You will absolutely feel you have some extra room - the lounge is very nice, lots of seating and there are quiet nooks around the atrium on each floor. Great kids area in the lounge, I think I have photos on the first page, but if not I'll post some for you.

We used to travel with our 3 kids clear up in their teens, and the deluxe rooms were fine for us, especially the larger rooms of the GF and Poly.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Old 08-10-2012, 10:41 PM   #819
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Blessed_wth_triplets - The marina view photos are in post #12, along with views from other categories and buildings.

mtnmomma3 - I didn't find my RPC lounge photos on the first page, I must have forgotten to add them! I'll try to get them posted tomorrow.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:45 AM   #820
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

I'm too groggy to do the first page work, but I'll post a few RPC lounge photos here to tide us over.
Kids' area, next to hallway leading to courtyard and marina view rooms

Kids' TV

Are these not the most adorable thing?

Couches and TV; food service area beyond the white divider

Another angle

Seats around the atrium
Old 08-11-2012, 07:48 AM   #821
5ctpliks
Earning My Ears

help Confirm closing dates???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdklein View Post
In an email I just got from GF IPO, Courtyard Pool is scheduled to go down for refurbishment 8/28 and Gasparilla's on 8/24. No word on anything else.
We are spending long weekend 8/24 - 8/27 at the GF and would really like to confirm the closing/ opening dates of the courtyard pool, Gaspirilla's and the Beach Pool bar. Also if the Beach Pool bar is open, does that mean the splash zone would be open also???

Anyone have any updates??? TIA
Old 08-11-2012, 08:14 AM   #822
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdklein View Post
In an email I just got from GF IPO, Courtyard Pool is scheduled to go down for refurbishment 8/28 and Gasparilla's on 8/24. No word on anything else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ctpliks View Post
We are spending long weekend 8/24 - 8/27 at the GF and would really like to confirm the closing/ opening dates of the courtyard pool, Gaspirilla's and the Beach Pool bar. Also if the Beach Pool bar is open, does that mean the splash zone would be open also???

Anyone have any updates??? TIA
Welcome!! Here is bdklein's update from a day or so ago. (oops, missed that you have seen this!) The original announcement said the beach pool bar would reopen on the 24th, courtyard pool would close at that time - indicating they would wait to close the courtyard pool until the beach pool area was finished. No specific word on the splash zone, but I kind of expect it will be open.

HTH!
Old 08-11-2012, 08:19 AM   #823
mag73
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I would say yes most of gv rooms at Big Pine Key face the courtyard pool, but the LV rooms face the lake towards the wedding pavilion which would give you a view of even more construction. Unless you request Sago or Conch keys marina views which are considered GV you will see the courtyard pool.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:38 AM   #824
mag73
Mouseketeer

[

Welcome! We finally ended up in Sago Cay last year, it was a little too quiet for us but beautiful views of the marina and the rest of the GF. And so close to the bus stop!

We had some of the best MK views at Sago Cay in a corner dormer MK view room. We also loved how close it was to Gaspies, and the marina overlooking Magic Kingdom.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #825
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

For your viewing pleasure, here is a link to new construction photos on mousesteps!! ETA: this is the first mention I've read of the splash zone being themed to Alice in Wonderland.:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag73 View Post

We had some of the best MK views at Sago Cay in a corner dormer MK view room. We also loved how close it was to Gaspies, and the marina overlooking Magic Kingdom.
You are not alone, a lot of DISers love the MK views in Sago Cay! I love the photos Misti has posted on past threads, beautiful views.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: