Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #736
Butterflygirl35
DIS Veteran

pas130, Have a great time and post lots of pics!!!

Sending you Pixie Dust for your trip...
Old 08-03-2012, 10:29 AM   #737
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

BCV23 - I didn't even notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas130 View Post
One week!!!!!!!!!!!!!

to your DD on her interview!!!!!!!!!
Thanks - she had her second interview and is waiting for the results.

One week to go, woohoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink rules View Post
they may have done some updates to the kitchen.
Good point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eponine1 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I usually stay at the Poly but I just booked the GF for November 2013.

Does anyone have any information on when the DVC will be completed? I know that the GF is undergoing many changes right now and I'm hoping by 2013 they will be done.

I haven't stayed at the GF since 2007. I believe they have done the rooms over.

Thanks!
Welcome! Congrats on your GF stay, will this be your first trip there? I think you will love it, and it is so easy to access the Poly.

Yes, the rooms were renovated in 2007. I'm not a huge fan of the new decor, I still pine for the old, more whimsical rooms. They are starting to grow on me, though - probably just in time for them to be changed again!

The only date they seem to be giving for DVC completion is "late 2013" as far as I know. Most of us feel the outside construction will be completed by the end of this year or early next, and once that is finished the disruption to GF guests should be minimal.

Here is the link I posted a couple pages back to the most current photos of the DVC and beach construction if you'd like to see the progress so far.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #738
Parrotheadgoofy
Earning My Ears

Does anyone know if GF has the contoured type bed pillows available upon request? I should probably take mine since we are driving.

Leaving in 6 hours and I just thought about my pillow!!
Old 08-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #739
Eponine1
DIS Veteran

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for the information and link K&A&C'sMom. I appreciate it.

This will be my fifth time staying at the Grand. But my first time since 2007 so it's been a while.

I'm wondering how much more crowded the resort will be when the DVC is up and running. Do you think they will adjust the bus schedules (most routes share with up to 2 other resorts).

I think all the deluxe resorts should have a dedicated bus service for that resort only but that's just me

Thanks again!
Old 08-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #740
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotheadgoofy View Post
Does anyone know if GF has the contoured type bed pillows available upon request? I should probably take mine since we are driving.

Leaving in 6 hours and I just thought about my pillow!!
Leaving in just a few hours, yay! I wish I could answer this for you, but I really don't know - never seen one, but then, we haven't asked. Since you're driving, probably take your own just in case.

Safe travels, have a Grand vacation.

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for the information and link K&A&C'sMom. I appreciate it.

This will be my fifth time staying at the Grand. But my first time since 2007 so it's been a while.

I'm wondering how much more crowded the resort will be when the DVC is up and running. Do you think they will adjust the bus schedules (most routes share with up to 2 other resorts).

I think all the deluxe resorts should have a dedicated bus service for that resort only but that's just me

Thanks again!
D'oh! I even responded about the room renovations since 2007, but didn't catch the previous stays. My brain isn't with me today.

I agree, I wish the buses made fewer stops. We used to love the bus service, but in recent years it has seemed more of a challenge.

I have no clue what they will do regarding the additional guest load - maybe some of those who have stayed at resorts prior to and after DVC being built can chime in. The only one I've had much experience with is AKL, and it had its own bus route to begin with, so not much help.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Old 08-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #741
Eponine1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
D'oh! I even responded about the room renovations since 2007, but didn't catch the previous stays. My brain isn't with me today.
Don't worry....it's Friday

Hopefully they won't open the DVC until after I'm there next year I don't think it will be considerable as far as the amount of people because even with the Contemp and BLT it didn't seem to add on too much when they opened.

I just get frustrated when the deluxe resorts share. I would stay at that BWI but they share with the Dolphin/Swan/Beach/Yacht and villas at BWI and Beach. That's ALOT of people.

Thanks!
Old 08-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #742
MagicKingdom4Ever
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Cruiser View Post

Please whomever is there when the Beach Pool walls come down, take pictures please!!!
Are the Beach Pool walls down now? Does anyone know when they come down?
Does the Courtyard Pool close on the 24th? Thanks.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #743
Eponine1
DIS Veteran

Another question.....

Does the GF pipe in the music to Wishes/Holiday Wishes at either the marina or the dock area or beach area?

Just wondering.. thanks
Old 08-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #744
BCV23

Loves the magic of the trains
Would enjoy a magical meal at the castle
Loves the name Hatuey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
BCV23 - I didn't even notice.

Maybe we have annual passes stuck in our brain.

Quote:
Another question.....

Does the GF pipe in the music to Wishes/Holiday Wishes at either the marina or the dock area or beach area?

Just wondering.. thanks
We've always been able to hear the music for Wishes from both the marina and the dock area by Narcoossee's. I know k&a&c'smom has not been as lucky.

IIRC the music for the holiday parties is only played in the park. Good viewing from the monorail hotels though.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:24 PM   #745
BCV23

Loves the magic of the trains
Would enjoy a magical meal at the castle
Loves the name Hatuey!

Oh, did everyone notice that there is now free wifi in the MK. Nice to use with the new app.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #746
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

BCV23 -

Free wifi in the MK is sooo nice! Can't wait to take it for a test run.

Eponine1 - All the reports I've seen lately have stated the speakers are working, so you should be able to hear it on the boat dock and near Gasparilla's. I'm looking forward to hearing Wishes on our next trip, too - as BCV23 posted, we have been incredibly unlucky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicKingdom4Ever View Post
Are the Beach Pool walls down now? Does anyone know when they come down?
Does the Courtyard Pool close on the 24th? Thanks.
Welcome! So far, no one has reported the walls around the beach pool being down. We have a link a few posts back to photos posted on July 26 showing the splash zone has not yet been completed, so I assume the walls will remain until that is finished.

According to the schedule released by WDW (posted on the first page of this thread), once the beach pool work is completed, the courtyard pool work will begin - date expected is August 24.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:42 AM   #747
micknme
Mouseketeer

Half way down page 3?

Not any more!!! Back to page 1 where we belong!
Old 08-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #748
Jungle Cruiser
DIS Veteran

Happy Sunday everyone!

k&a&c'smom, fingers crossed that your DD gets the job and that it doesn't start until after you two get to WDW in a few weeks!!!

I am sure we will get an update from pas when she is at WDW next week! She is staying at the WL, another wonderful hotel, but I know she will be visiting her beloved GF!

BVC free wifi in the MK, sounds great!
Old 08-06-2012, 06:20 AM   #749
mtnmomma3
Earning My Ears

Such great info here- thanks do much! We are planning a Sept 2013 trip with our 3 girls ( will be 7 and twin 4 by the trip) and are thinking main building club level is out best bet. Few questions- -if we book a theme park view will be not see any of the new dvc construction?
- it seems the deluxe cl rooms are only bookable for parties of 4, is this true? No way for a family of five to book these? I saw a pic in first few pages that shows a roll away in the 2 queen room... We would really love the little bit of extra room
We have done poly and BLT in the past, I have always wanted to stay at the GF but am a bit worried about the construction... But it seems by the time we go in a little over a year things will be a bit "calmer" right ?
Thanks in advance
Old 08-06-2012, 07:49 AM   #750
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by micknme View Post
Half way down page 3?

Not any more!!! Back to page 1 where we belong!
Thanks for the bump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Cruiser View Post
Happy Sunday everyone!

k&a&c'smom, fingers crossed that your DD gets the job and that it doesn't start until after you two get to WDW in a few weeks!!!

I am sure we will get an update from pas when she is at WDW next week! She is staying at the WL, another wonderful hotel, but I know she will be visiting her beloved GF!
Hello, my friend! Thanks for DD, I think she may not have gotten the job. I'll update when we find out for sure. Poor kid, it's tough out there.

Can't wait to hear from pas about the GF AND how she likes WL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmomma3 View Post
Such great info here- thanks do much! We are planning a Sept 2013 trip with our 3 girls ( will be 7 and twin 4 by the trip) and are thinking main building club level is out best bet. Few questions- -if we book a theme park view will be not see any of the new dvc construction?
- it seems the deluxe cl rooms are only bookable for parties of 4, is this true? No way for a family of five to book these? I saw a pic in first few pages that shows a roll away in the 2 queen room... We would really love the little bit of extra room
We have done poly and BLT in the past, I have always wanted to stay at the GF but am a bit worried about the construction... But it seems by the time we go in a little over a year things will be a bit "calmer" right ?
Thanks in advance
Welcome! Congrats on your trip next year, glad you've joined us.

Main building theme park view rooms overlook Gasparilla's and the marina, so you will not see any of the DVC construction. If you take a look at the map on page 1 of this thread, you can see the marina is on the far side of the resort from the Wedding Chapel, which is where the DVC work is being done.

May not be an issue anyway, as the new building is supposed to be open by late 2013, and we expect the outdoor work to be mostly finished by the end of this year or early next. They are really going gangbusters over there!

The main building deluxe queen rooms sleep 4, deluxe kings sleep 3. They will allow a rollaway as they don't dictate sleeping arrangements, but can't book a 5th person in the room. I too wish they would bump that up to 5, plenty of room there. They seem to set the max by the number of stationary bed options, and there is no daybed in the deluxe queen rooms.

HTH!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: