Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 01:20 PM   #601
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

So true about the buggy website!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas130 View Post
That is a downside....kook understands She's good like that. I like all the nooks and crannies around the lodge DH and I can just chill...
I love that about the Lodge, we enjoy the lobby when we go for dinner. I miss the old soundtrack, even though the current one is nice. I loved hearing sweeping Western music, made me think of Bonanza or Wild, Wild West!
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 07-20-2012, 07:25 AM   #602
KB24
From DisneyLAND. Travels a lot.

i got a mail from wdw about my vacation yesterday and all the construction. i tried to upgrade rooms to deluxe king RPC and its not available i am thinking about moving now to another resort (((((((
Register to remove

Old 07-20-2012, 07:58 AM   #603
BCV23

Loves the magic of the trains
Would enjoy a magical meal at the castle
Loves the name Hatuey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFmom View Post
Just received my 10 days out email yesterday- I am SO excited and I love that disney keeps the excitement going throughour your planning process. What are your week prior tips and routines? I have not yet started to pack- but will likely do that this weekend-
So exciting. Enjoy the anticipation. When you return, will you tell us about your GF experience?

k&a&c'cmom, I don't think the original volcano pool had music piped in. Sure don't remember it and as my children were young, that was the pool that I truly swam in. I know the new pool has/had music piped in but it was built in 2001 according to Steve's site.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:13 AM   #604
runskimom
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB24 View Post
i got a mail from wdw about my vacation yesterday and all the construction. i tried to upgrade rooms to deluxe king RPC and its not available i am thinking about moving now to another resort (((((((
Oh, I've been waiting to see if someone actually got the notification from Disney. I'm booked to stay at GF during the refurb period in November and haven't gotten any notification yet. If I can ask, what did the notification say, exactly?

I am glad to have found this thread and other GF-lovers. It is such a wonderful place and very sentimental to our family since we've been visiting (with one long break enough for me to grow up, get married and have my OWN kids) since 1989.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:16 AM   #605
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

BCV23 - the trip I'm thinking of is '99 or 2000, so I must be imagining it.

runskimom - Welcome! I know what you mean, the GF is dear to our hearts as well. Even more special if you grew up staying there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB24 View Post
I'm sorry you weren't able to book the upgrade, keep trying if that is what you really want - sometimes rooms open up.

Good luck with your decision, are you going in August? I haven't heard of anyone else getting a letter regarding the construction.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Old 07-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #606
mariamouse
Believes in the magic!!
Should know the difference between the Tag Fairy and Tinkerbell!!! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom
:

I love that about the Lodge, we enjoy the lobby when we go for dinner. I miss the old soundtrack, even though the current one is nice. I loved hearing sweeping Western music, made me think of Bonanza or Wild, Wild West!
Oh no! What style is the WL music now? We were there in December to see the decorations, but obviously Christmas music was playing then instead. I assumed that it was still the Wild West music I remember from a few years back.

Also- does anyone know if there is a site where you can listen to the more obscure Disney music (i.e. resort lobby music, Future World music, etc)?
GF GV- January 2014, BCV- January 2013, GF LV- December 2011, AKL PV & GF GV- February 2007, BWI WV CL- February 2006, AKL SV- February 2005, Polynesian GV- February 2004, WL WV & Polynesian GV- November 2002, BC GV- February 2002, CR GV- February 2001, POFQ- February 1996, CBR- February 1994
Old 07-20-2012, 10:20 AM   #607
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariamouse View Post
Oh no! What style is the WL music now? We were there in December to see the decorations, but obviously Christmas music was playing then instead. I assumed that it was still the Wild West music I remember from a few years back.

Also- does anyone know if there is a site where you can listen to the more obscure Disney music (i.e. resort lobby music, Future World music, etc)?
Well, if memory serves they changed the WL lobby music a few years ago. Last time we were there, they had American Indian music, if you know what I mean. The kind of reed/flute music you hear in the Southwest. Soothing, pretty, but not the old Western tunes we thought fit the resort.

I hope I'm wrong - someone can correct me, we aren't WL experts, obviously. (or any other kind of expert, lol)

ETA: I forgot the question about music sites. I found a couple, parktunes and mouseworldradio; not sure how much of the obscure they have.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #608
mariamouse
Believes in the magic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
Well, if memory serves they changed the WL lobby music a few years ago. Last time we were there, they had American Indian music, if you know what I mean. The kind of reed/flute music you hear in the Southwest. Soothing, pretty, but not the old Western tunes we thought fit the resort.

I hope I'm wrong - someone can correct me, we aren't WL experts, obviously. (or any other kind of expert, lol)

ETA: I forgot the question about music sites. I found a couple, parktunes and mouseworldradio; not sure how much of the obscure they have.
Thanks for the info and the site suggestions! I can perfectly imagine the soothing American Indian music you describe. We took a 5-yr WDW hiatus prior to our trip this past December, so I think it was still the Western music when we were there previously. Sad to hear that it has been replaced, but oh well!
GF GV- January 2014, BCV- January 2013, GF LV- December 2011, AKL PV & GF GV- February 2007, BWI WV CL- February 2006, AKL SV- February 2005, Polynesian GV- February 2004, WL WV & Polynesian GV- November 2002, BC GV- February 2002, CR GV- February 2001, POFQ- February 1996, CBR- February 1994
Old 07-20-2012, 10:55 AM   #609
Jungle Cruiser
DIS Veteran

You can go over to the Wilderness Lodge thread and WDWKOOK has the list of the music that plays in the lobby listed. We downloaded the songs and made a CD of it...my DH loves it
Old 07-20-2012, 11:15 AM   #610
mariamouse
Believes in the magic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Cruiser View Post
You can go over to the Wilderness Lodge thread and WDWKOOK has the list of the music that plays in the lobby listed. We downloaded the songs and made a CD of it...my DH loves it
Good to know-- thanks so much!
Old 07-20-2012, 01:15 PM   #611
Figment1990
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartemis View Post
I haven't done the Wine&Dine Half Marathon, but I did the ESPN 5K two years ago and the Princess Half Marathon last year.

For the ESPN race, (which went through Hollywood Studios) we were staying at the GF and it wasn't a host resort. To be perfectly honest, it was a bit of a pain. We didn't have a car, so we had to get a cab (at 5 a.m. no less), and it was pretty hard navigating the road closures to get to the right starting spot. After the race, since we were at Hollywood Studios we hung out there for a while and took the standard bus back since it was then operating hours.

So fast forward to the next year for the Princess Half-Marathon, we decided that we would do a split-stay at the BC (a host resort) and then back to the GF. We had never stayed anywhere but the GF so I thought it was time to branch out, but I couldn't fully commit (hence the split stay). Anyway, it was SOOOO much easier staying at a host resort. I hated the BC for other reasons, and was so happy to get back to the GF, but if I ever do another race, I will definitely stay at the host resort again for the night before and after the race (and then head back to my "home," the GF, after that).

Good luck! I really wanted to the F&W half this year, but it doesn't correspond to my kids' fall break.
Thank you so much - and everyone who responded about the Disney races/host hotels. I think we will stick with the Boardwalk. We do like the Boardwalk, it's just not our favorite... It was very convenient for my sister last year staying there (she ran the W&D half) - we just walked back to the hotel after the after-party. I guess I'll have to register for the Princess so I can stay at the Grand as a host resort!

And just to note because some people were talking about the Princess and Epcot resorts taking the bus to epcot. In case anyone is curious, the Wine & Dine Half starts at ESPN WWOS, runs through AK, DHS and past the Epcot resorts and ends in the Epcot parking lot. And it's run at 10:30 at night. I'm super excited (and nervous).

Regarding the poly baby pool discussion - I DO now remember there being water on the "other side" of the place where the Volcano slide dumped you out. I completely forgotten about that. Thanks for directing us to tikiman's site - what a trip down memory lane! Oh how I'd love to go back and recapture that magical time of my first trips!

WL Music - DH and I also love the WL and stayed there last July (2011). We did not notice a huge impact of changed music from our previous stays in 02, 07, and 09, so it must still be sweeping and majestic. We're dining there in November, so I'll have to pay special attention to it.

First trip: Mar 90, Polynesian Most recent trips: Feb '14, Princess 1/2 - GF; Jan '14, Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon! - GCH; Nov '13, Wine & Dine 1/2Marathon - BWI! In-between: Grand Floridian, AKV-Kidani, Poly, WL, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Coronado Springs, Disneyland Hotel
Old 07-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #612
KB24
From DisneyLAND. Travels a lot.

My trip is scheduled for December 10 through the 16th right now.

I'll take a picture and post it tonight.

Still contemplating the alternatives.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:15 PM   #613
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Jungle Cruiser - I noticed the list on the first page a few days ago when I looked up the refurbed rooms. I wasn't sure if it was the current music, or a nostalgic listing. Good to know they still have the old music.

Figment1990 - thanks! I guess we happened to stay during a testing of music options, or maybe they tried to switch and had guests insist on the old soundtrack. I thought I remembered a discussion of it on the WL FAQ back then, but it's been too long for my memory to be depended on.

mariamouse - sounds like I worried you for nothing. I'm glad to know the lobby music is still the fun Western theme we all seem to love. I need to get back over there for WCC, love that restaurant.

KB24 - thanks, we'd all love to see the info.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #614
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

My (Mickey) ears were burning...

Quote:

I am also jazzed to try their CL, from Kook's reports it sounds like they can give our GF CL a run for their money
My dearest Jeanette, I just have to be on record as stating that I've never made any comparison to GF/CL (I know you didn't imply that I had). Every CL has their pluses and minuses and we all value them a little differently. There, I feel better now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
pas130 - I think you will love the WL, and the CL CMs there are very nice. No offense to WDWKOOK, but the CL there wasn't my favorite, mostly due to the dormer balconies on the 7th floor. I'm in the minority, so don't go by me, I hate having to stand to see out my balcony, even at the GF.

I love the lounge, a similar feel to both AKL and RPC lounges in that it is all around the atrium with a bird's-eye view of the lobby.
No offense taken at all. In fact, when I wrote my AllEars review in April of WL/CL, I did mention as a negative the fact that the CL floor rooms only have solid balconies (for aesthetic reasons). And, you're not in the minority. Some really value their 'balcony time,' while for others, it's not an issue. I see balcony discussions all the time regarding BC and Poly, for example, so you bring up a valid point. But, I'll mention that unlike some resorts, every single room at WL has a balcony or patio.

Quote:
That is a downside....kook understands She's good like that. I like all the nooks and crannies around the lodge DH and I can just chill...
Nooks and crannies (and fireplaces and geysers) are the best! (But, piano music and a band are also fabulous)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariamouse View Post

Here is the link for purchasing the music of WL:

http://www.mousesavers.com/wlmusic.html#nodownload

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Cruiser View Post
You give good directions, JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment1990 View Post
WL Music - DH and I also love the WL and stayed there last July (2011). We did not notice a huge impact of changed music from our previous stays in 02, 07, and 09, so it must still be sweeping and majestic. We're dining there in November, so I'll have to pay special attention to it.
We were there in April and last August and I agree, the track seems to be the same. The PP who mentioned the Indian, flute-type music may be referring to the bus soundtrack. The buses have been playing that type of music, but I've never noticed it in the Lodge.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:51 PM   #615
JoBird
Proud Charter Member of the Tagless Clique
I almost got a tag about clean butter but then the tag fairy saw I don't like tags

I got a letter regarding my Dec trip in the mail yesterday as well.

It says :

July 2012

Disney's Grand Floridian Resort and Spa Guest,

We are delighted you chose the Walt Disney World Resort as your vacation destination.

In an ongoing effort to improve the quality of our facilities and offerings, please pardon our appearance during your upcoming visit. While the following locations are being refurbished for your future enjoyment, we have arranged for alternate options in order to ensure that you have a truly grand experience.

Our Courtyard Pool will be undergoing some exciting changes, including a new zero- entry slope, and is scheduled to reopen late December of this year. The Beach Pool and slide will remain open for your relaxation and enjoyment.

We are pleased to announce that beginning in late August, the newly enhanced Beach Pool Bar will debut with a grill and extended quick-service offerings. Soon after, Gasparilla Grill and Games, our quick service restaurant and arcade, will be renovated to include additional seating. During this time, we invite you to enjoy the extended menu at the Beach Pool Bar, a selection of pre-packaged food at Mizner's Lounge and our many Table Service restaurants.

Finally, as you may already be aware, the spa is currently closed with an anticipated reopening later this year. The Fitness Center remains open for your use. In addition, in-room massage service is available. For full-service spa amenities, we offer complimentary transport to The Spa at Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort. Please call 407-824-2332 for more information on services, pricing, and to book an appointment.

Thank you and we look forward to your upcoming stay. If you have questions regarding your reservation, please contact your original booking agent listed on your confirmation.

Sincerely,
Norm Noble
General Manager, Disney's Grand Floridian Resort and Spa

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: