Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 09:36 PM   #571
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

I'd be thrilled if they'd move the games out of Gaspies... I hate hearing all that noise while eating.

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Old 07-18-2012, 08:45 AM   #572
BCV23

Loves the magic of the trains
Would enjoy a magical meal at the castle
Loves the name Hatuey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michashell View Post
I am so excited to stay at the GF with my family for the first time - husband and sons (5 and almost 3). I'm so very amped up that I'm worried that I'm kidding myself about all of the construction. Is it really going to be that bad?

I was bummed about the QS being closed, but there is still going to be an option - just a little farther away if we get the building that we request (Sago Cay). I would be really upset if the monorail was down, but I can't imagine that it would be down during peak hours our entire week long stay. And it's not like if we switch to another monorail resort that we wouldn't be in the same situation.

So as the experts and #1 fans of GF, are you advising friends against staying there this fall? Where else would you direct them with small kids who have parents who like a Deluxe? What about getting a taxi back from the parks? I'm just thinking if we need to get back quickly for an ADR at the resort or a child in need of a nap, is this easy to do?

Thanks so much!!
I absolutely would recommend the GF this year for any guest whether it be their first trip or 100th. Disney really does a great job of minimizing the impact of refurbs on guests. Gasparilla's plays a very small part in any stay for us. The GF has so many other great dining options that we rarely use Gasparilla's. And you're correct, it's just a bit longer to walk to the beach bar. You have the right attitude. Enjoy the anticipation of a Grand vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillmc40 View Post
I'm with you...I can't decide if I am so excited to be able to stay there that I am fooling myself about the pool My Mom said we won't be in the pool all that much anyway but I just wanted my first time there to be *perfect* (I know nothing is perfect but I am relatively speaking). I may never get this opportunity again though, so I am going to go with it and if it isn't all roses I will just convince my dh we need to have a redo
Another great attitude. Happy planning. And one pool will be open. Hey, it wasn't that long ago that the GF had just one pool. The activity pool is relatively new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michashell View Post
It's been happening for the last few months here and there. I don't think it has lasted more than a few days, but it has been reported to be between the hours of 11:00 and 6:00. As a person with little guys who wants to take an afternoon break at the resort, this would be a problem for us.
The GF (and Polynesian) are so convenient for families who spend a lot of time in the MK but want to return to the hotel for naps or swimming. The little boat goes directly from the MK to GF before going on to the Polynesian. Perfect midday even if the monorail is working normally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly57005 View Post
I'm completely ok with no video games at gasparillas. I'd trade that in for a bigger food selection and seating.

I hope they don't take away the baby pool! It is so nice to have a controlled area. The zero depth is great for a slightly older kid to enter the water. I know my time is limited to when I'll need the baby pool but it is so nice without having them wander into the deeper sections.

Even without the monorail you have the boat service.
Sorry, I don't want to start another rumor. We'll just have to wait and see. It wouldn't surprise me though as baby pools just seem to be rare these days. Maybe it's for sanitary reasons or it could be that they give parents a fall sense of security as little ones can drown in them as easily as a huge pool.

So agree about the games.

k&a&c'smom, do you have any dining plans for your GF stay?
Register to remove

Old 07-18-2012, 09:17 AM   #573
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

BCV23 - so far, only V&A's! We will probably do breakfast at the GF Cafe and tea, but haven't booked tea yet.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 07-18-2012, 10:06 AM   #574
Jungle Cruiser
DIS Veteran

k&a&c'smom, so excited for your upcoming trip! Is it with your DD? Victoria & Alberts, what a wonderful way to spend an evening. Have you ever been there when Christian, the piano player from the lobby is playing the harp? I know he plays in Victoria & Alberts two nights a week. If he plays the harp like he plays the piano

BVC23

I am also happy those games will be gone from Gaspirillas. Like someone said, they are rarely used, an often only as babysitters for toddlers while the parents eat!
Old 07-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #575
tartemis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethclayton View Post
i had read so much over the years about v&a's. not to sound like a jerk, but we (and my parents ESPECIALLY) have done our share of fine dining in and around philadelphia over the years. i really figured v&a's was "disney's version of fine dining." well, i was totally blown away. it is one of the best meals we have ever had in our lives. we were so impressed. i know you already know all tis and have been there before, but just wanted to chime in to say how happy i am for you, it will be a fabulous meal!
I've been on the fence about V&A's for a while for this reason. Does anybody know how it compares to a place like Alinea in Chicago? The fact that it gives you a choice of 3 or so meals per course makes me wonder if it won't be very cohesive.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #576
pas130
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
I didn't realize the WL rooms were being rehabbed, I'll have to go take a look. I think you will love the WL, it is beautiful and relaxing, but with so many interesting areas to explore.
It's our first trip there, DH said our kiddos are getting so crazy, it'll be our final solo trip for awhile....we both need it !!!! Kook has some pics of the refurb up at the beginning of her thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCV23 View Post
pas130, that's wonderful news!!! It's so hard waiting for test results.
They came a week earlier than expected...SO happy

My kids are excited for the zero entry at the CY pool. Mind you, my DD5 is 39 in tall so this is good for her.....anticipating a AoA/GF split for F&G 2013

junglecruiserNice to see you!
Old 07-18-2012, 10:32 AM   #577
tartemis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFC1969 View Post
Come on down...

We will be there then.. We had the opportunity to change from SL/Gflo to somewhere else... but love Gflo unconditionally

All of the activities will be there... just have to walk over to the beach pool...

Hands down the best place at WDW...
Thanks. I talked to my family and they all agreed that they want to say at the GF construction or no construction so we will be there!

I just hope it isn't too much of a pain! I will have to check reports frequently as the fall approaches about how the GF is managing. I would bet that the beach pool could get really crowded without the larger courtyard pool. I'm also wondering how quick service dining will work there. Normally, I wouldn't care as I don't particularly care for quick service food, but we have free dining so I don't want it to go to waste. I know you can use it at the parks, but we spend a LOT of time at the resort because the GF is (usually) so wonderful!
Old 07-18-2012, 12:32 PM   #578
red712371
Mouseketeer

Does anyone know if while Gasparilla's is closed if they will have self service beverages for the refillable mugs somewhere else?
Old 07-18-2012, 12:32 PM   #579
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Jungle Cruiser - we have only managed to hear Chris at the harp once and he was equally as good. It's amazing how he is able to fold his tall frame to get to the instrument. He is our favorite pianist, no offense to the others, they are wonderful but we've chatted with Chris more often.

tartemis - we haven't eaten at Alinea, so I can't compare. V&A's is the best restaurant we've tried, the food is excellent and the presentation is beautiful, the service is outstanding. I can't comment on whether it feels cohesive, as I don't really look at the meal in that way. Each dish stands on its own for me.

If you want an experience where the chef chooses the courses (it may be more what you are looking for, I'm sure Chef Scott does an excellent job) try booking the Queen Victoria room.

I'm glad you and your family have discussed the construction and still want to stay at the Grand, at least you are prepared. I always hate to sway anyone to stay there when they may encounter difficulties - I feel so guilty when they don't have a great time.

I know what you mean regarding spending so much time at the resort, DD and I often spend whole days without going to any park. Hopefully, the QS dining will work out and the beach pool won't be too crowded in October. If you get a marina view in SL, you may not even notice the worst of the construction, as you will only be walking past the walls - not looking down on it from your balcony. We've been during a lot of the refurbs during recent years, and as BCV23 has posted, Disney is great at minimizing the impact.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Old 07-18-2012, 12:41 PM   #580
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas130 View Post
It's our first trip there, DH said our kiddos are getting so crazy, it'll be our final solo trip for awhile....we both need it !!!! Kook has some pics of the refurb up at the beginning of her thread

My kids are excited for the zero entry at the CY pool. Mind you, my DD5 is 39 in tall so this is good for her.....anticipating a AoA/GF split for F&G 2013
Your first trip to WL, how exciting to be trying something new. Thanks, I checked out the refurb photos - nice! I still miss the cute wallpaper in the bathroom and dressing area.~sigh~

Quote:
Originally Posted by red712371 View Post
Does anyone know if while Gasparilla's is closed if they will have self service beverages for the refillable mugs somewhere else?
Welcome! I haven't seen it mentioned, but I imagine they will have it available at the beach pool bar since that is where they are having most of the QS options. Maybe in Mizner's as well, I think it is slated to offer some QS items.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:53 PM   #581
red712371
Mouseketeer

I can't wait for my December vacation - construction or no construction, I'm going and having a wonderful time.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #582
JoBird
Proud Charter Member of the Tagless Clique
I almost got a tag about clean butter but then the tag fairy saw I don't like tags

PAS--- so happy for your wonderful news with your precious DD!! I know you are so relieved.
Can't wait to hear about your trip to WL-- I hope you love it! I haven't see the pics of the renos yet either- I need to do that.

My DH was just talking this weekend about upgrading to RPC instead of SL this trip. I told him when he and I go alone again (Um, that'll be the second Tuesday of next week- we have a kiddo heading to college in a year) we'll do it. But for now with all of the construction- we'll stay where we are. (And hope for a Marina view!)
Old 07-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #583
Figment1990
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly57005 View Post
I'm completely ok with no video games at gasparillas. I'd trade that in for a bigger food selection and seating.

I hope they don't take away the baby pool! It is so nice to have a controlled area. The zero depth is great for a slightly older kid to enter the water. I know my time is limited to when I'll need the baby pool but it is so nice without having them wander into the deeper sections.

Even without the monorail you have the boat service.
I totally agree with you. We have not taken our DS (who was at GF when he was 3 and 4 years old), into the zero entry beach pool at GF because when we took him into the zero entry part of the Poly pool when he was 2, he kept sliding and landing on his bottom and back. I even lost my footing quite a few times. I was a total nervous wreck! Particularly for little ones who like to go go go! "No running at the pool" is a rule for us, but even walking, it was very slippery. Hence, I have a big aversion to zero entry pools and will be very upset if they take the baby pool out at the GF Courtyard pool. It was always one of the more populated areas, actually! I don't think that all parents necessarily have a false sense of security with a kiddie pool. It's just much easier to control them in a smaller space without a bunch of other bigger kids dashing in and out of the zero entry not even paying attention to those around them. And some smaller children feel more comfortable in a smaller pool as well (DS is one of them though he's getting braver this summer).

I'm not a Poly expert, but I've been visiting there since 1990 and I have no memory of a baby pool there. If so, it was prior to 1990.

First trip: Mar 90, Polynesian Most recent trips: Feb '14, Princess 1/2 - GF; Jan '14, Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon! - GCH; Nov '13, Wine & Dine 1/2Marathon - BWI! In-between: Grand Floridian, AKV-Kidani, Poly, WL, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Coronado Springs, Disneyland Hotel
Old 07-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #584
Figment1990
DIS Veteran

On a different topic - has anyone ever stayed at the GF during the Wine & Dine Half Marathon? GF is not a host hotel, so we booked at the Boardwalk for convenience. But this trip is just me and DH (no kids) and I generally prefer the MK resorts to the Epcot ones (the epcot ones just aren't as disney to me because of nostalgia). DH said he would be happy to drive to Epcot for the race (ends there) and drive back to the GF after.

Anyone have experience with staying at a non-host resort during a Race weekend?

First trip: Mar 90, Polynesian Most recent trips: Feb '14, Princess 1/2 - GF; Jan '14, Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon! - GCH; Nov '13, Wine & Dine 1/2Marathon - BWI! In-between: Grand Floridian, AKV-Kidani, Poly, WL, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Coronado Springs, Disneyland Hotel
Old 07-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #585
BCV23

Loves the magic of the trains
Would enjoy a magical meal at the castle
Loves the name Hatuey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
BCV23 - so far, only V&A's! We will probably do breakfast at the GF Cafe and tea, but haven't booked tea yet.
V&A.....ah, heaven. We've not dined there in some time. We need to rectify that! Have fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Cruiser View Post

BVC23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartemis View Post
I've been on the fence about V&A's for a while for this reason. Does anybody know how it compares to a place like Alinea in Chicago? The fact that it gives you a choice of 3 or so meals per course makes me wonder if it won't be very cohesive.
We've not dined at Alinea but if you're familiar with Chicago restaurants perhaps you remember Le Francais? Although located in Wheeling, it was the number one rated restaurant in the Chicago area for many years and always in the top handful if not #1 in the entire country. In the 80s and 90s, we dined there a number of times. I enjoy V&A just as much. Bon apetit.

If you are concerned with cohesiveness, I agree that the Chef's Table or Queen Victoria room will satisfy that concern. Or simply ask your server for help if you choose the main dining room. They are top notch servers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas130 View Post

They came a week earlier than expected...SO happy
What a relief that had to be!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by red712371 View Post
I can't wait for my December vacation - construction or no construction, I'm going and having a wonderful time.
Good for you! December is an especially wonderful time to be at the GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBird View Post
PAS--- so happy for your wonderful news with your precious DD!! I know you are so relieved.
Can't wait to hear about your trip to WL-- I hope you love it! I haven't see the pics of the renos yet either- I need to do that.

My DH was just talking this weekend about upgrading to RPC instead of SL this trip. I told him when he and I go alone again (Um, that'll be the second Tuesday of next week- we have a kiddo heading to college in a year) we'll do it. But for now with all of the construction- we'll stay where we are. (And hope for a Marina view!)
Hope you get that marina view...love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment1990 View Post

I'm not a Poly expert, but I've been visiting there since 1990 and I have no memory of a baby pool there. If so, it was prior to 1990.
Trust me, it was there. I have photos of my children in it. If you go to Tikiman's site and look up 1977 there is a picture of the old pool with the baby pool to the right. Perhaps they removed it before the construction of the new pool but I don't remember that. My kids were all 80s babies so not using the baby pool by the time of your first stay in 90.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: