Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #466
jillmc40
Mouseketeer

This will be the first time staying at the GF on Columbus Day weekend. I was so upset to hear that the spa was going to be closed but OK when they told me they would offer a free shuttle over to their other spa. NOW I see the pool is going to be closed...Ugh! This was supposed to be a very magical girls trip with my dd5 and Mom. I called my Mom today and she said it was ok since we will probably not be in the pool all that much anyway, but it is still very disappointing to me. I have been waiting years to stay there, and I finally book it because we have annual passes for once in our lives and this happens...Dang! I will still stay there, but hoping this will maybe cause some steep room only discounts...Maybe?
Old 07-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #467
jenneth79
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillmc40 View Post
This will be the first time staying at the GF on Columbus Day weekend. I was so upset to hear that the spa was going to be closed but OK when they told me they would offer a free shuttle over to their other spa. NOW I see the pool is going to be closed...Ugh! This was supposed to be a very magical girls trip with my dd5 and Mom. I called my Mom today and she said it was ok since we will probably not be in the pool all that much anyway, but it is still very disappointing to me. I have been waiting years to stay there, and I finally book it because we have annual passes for once in our lives and this happens...Dang! I will still stay there, but hoping this will maybe cause some steep room only discounts...Maybe?
Doubt it. Disney relies on the fact that those of us who frequent the boards and websites related to Disney information only make up a small percentage of the overall guests.

That being said, you will still be able to use the Beach Pool and could also go to the Poly pool if you wanted to check that out.

We were the second couple to be moved to Saratoga Springs Spa when GF closed down last September....and I have to say it was still a wonderful experience! (We're heading back in October ourselves for massages!)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-11-2012, 05:29 PM   #468
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

A lot of activity on the thread today.

pas130 - Yay for RPC!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWISHFORDISNEY View Post
We just changed our October trip too. The closure of the courtyard pool was a resort killer for me. We are now at YC for our fall trip. My little man is so disappointed. But I am thankful for this information the CRO had no idea a rehab was going on when I told them why I changed today.
Sorry you had to change, I know how disappointing that must be. Regarding CRO not knowing - when the outside renovations, marble installation and various other upgrades were going on, they didn't know even while people were on the phone at the resort, looking at it! They seem to be the last informed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2Disneyboys View Post
A little nervous about the GF construction too.....We arrive on Dec 9. Hopefully they will be working inside the DVC building by then. More worried about the courtyard pool and Gasparilla Grill. From what I am reading they are saying work will be finished at Gasparilla's in December...Sure wish there was a date on that, but I'm sure they just haven't posted one because they don't know themselves yet. And I have read the end of November for the courtyard pool and then somewhere else it says December...Guess we'll just have to wait and see. We are going to keep our ressie either way. I just might add the request of a marina view onto our SL ressie. Although I'm sure everyone else is doing that as well!
I understand your worry, it is too bad there is not a hard date - but it changes so often due to unforeseen events, they hate to give them out. I'm shocked they've given this much info.

Good luck with your marina view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micknme View Post
Thank you for your hug, k&a&c'smom.

As much as it saddened me to make this change, we are now at the Poly, Hawaii building for the 12 days.

I absolutely love, love, love the Grand Floridian, especially the Sugar Loaf building, but picturing us this fall walking past the courtyard pool multiple times on a daily basis just made me feel sad.

I am now relieved for our upcoming trip but I'm also very excited to get back to the GF next year when she is back in grand form!

Hugs to everyone who is disappointed as well.
Sorry you had to switch, but the Poly is beautiful and Hawaii has such a gorgeous view of the castle. I agree, when it's all complete the Grand should be in tip top shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment1990 View Post
Do we know for sure that they are adding zero entry to the courtyard pool? I think that's what everyone thought when they redid the Poly courtyard pool and then they did not (I think). I think all they did was make it more shallow.

I just pray they don't take out the baby pool. It was my son's favorite when he was little. I think it's crazy that the Poly and CR don't have a baby pool even though they have zero entry it's just not the same for little kids. My son will have grown out of it by next year, but for others with little ones....
I was wondering about the kiddie pool, too, I hope they don't eliminate it. With the water play area, I'm afraid they might. We enjoy watching the little ones while we lounge at the courtyard pool, so cute. I'm curious whether the hot tub will move, or change, but there hasn't been anything announced, unless I missed it.

Quote:
Oh my goodness! I've been away from the Resort boards for a while because we are planning a California/DL trip and I'm staying at Boardwalk for the Wine & Dine marathon so I've been trying not to tempt myself with reservation changes. I had NO idea of the extent of the GF rehabs or the Poly main building construction until today!

I was hoping to book a bounceback when we are there for the race in November. I was all set with dates and the Poly.

Maybe later this year I'll have to book rooms at both the Poly and the GF and the WL for next spring and see what the construction is like closer on. Can you even do that? Yikes what a mess!
Wow, is the Poly GCH being renovated this fall, too?! I'll have to go check out the Poly news, I didn't realize. Tough to have both resorts under major renovation at one time.

I don't think you can hold more than one reservation under the same name for the same dates, but I could be wrong. Good luck with your planning, I don't envy you the decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiwoz View Post
In January I will be staying at AKL, but with a friend who would like to venture to the GF to listen to live music in the lobby. She was at the Park Faire dinner in May with her family, so didn't have time to stay as long as she wanted.

Is there always music in the evenings, even in January? I would make dinner ADR's at the Cafe, what time would be best to eat, if we want to enjoy music afterwards?

Thank you,
Bobbi
Welcome!

There is music in the lobby every day of the year - they even played while the marble was being installed! The pianist starts around 3:00 p.m. and plays until around 4:30 or so, then the orchestra starts; they alternate every hour-and-a-half or so until about 9:45. You could go early and listen before the dinner, or dine early and stay for the music after.

Quote:
Welcome!

Sorry your first stay will be during the renovations, I know that must be so disappointing for you.

As jenneth posted, deep discounts aren't likely, the resort has been undergoing construction for several months now and it hasn't caused steep discounts yet. In fact, the monorail resorts have had less discount than other WDW deluxe resorts.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for a great fall/winter rate for everyone.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 07-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #469
Butterflygirl35
DIS Veteran

I am looking forward to our first visit Labor day weekend even with all the renovations...

Any special things that cant be missed????
Old 07-11-2012, 07:09 PM   #470
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
A lot of activity on the thread ......

Welcome!

There is music in the lobby every day of the year - they even played while the marble was being installed! The pianist starts around 3:00 p.m. and plays until around 4:30 or so, then the orchestra starts; they alternate every hour-and-a-half or so until about 9:45. You could go early and listen before the dinner, or dine early and stay for the music after.

Thank you! That's good to know!

Bobbi
Old 07-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #471
PrincessShanShan
Mouseketeer

My husband is NOT a Disney fan. In 6 years I'fe talked him into 3 Disney trips with me (7 nights, 3 nights, 2 nights). He has stayed at BWV, Cont. CL (Split stay), YC, and Pop. He HATED Pop (although he picked it) because he said it was too noisey. He loved Cont because of the club level. We have a trip planned fir Labor Day weekend in a dxl RPC room. Parks aren't a biggie for us. We just want a nice place to relax and enjoy for a few days. DH's only requests was a resort he hasn't stayed in yet and club level. With all the construction going on, his quiet and relaxing do you think the GF will be? I've stayed there multiple times before, but I'm really wondering if I should switch to the Poly and leave Ff fir another trip. Thoughts??
Disneymoon Dec. 2006 BWV & Cont. Atrium Club
~December 22~
Living our happily ever after
Old 07-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #472
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflygirl35 View Post
I am looking forward to our first visit Labor day weekend even with all the renovations...

Any special things that cant be missed????
I've got many favorite things, though I don't know if any are "not to be missed"!

We love strolling the resort, checking out all the pathways. Love to sit in the lobby or one of the little nooks on the second floor, listening to the music; having a drink in Misner's; checking out the new items in the shops; grabbing a drink or snack at Gasparilla's and sitting at the marina, especially for Wishes viewing; watching the Electrical Water Pageant; having b'fast at GF Cafe; laying by the pool with a drink; having dinner at Citrico's or Narcoossee's; taking the boat over to the Poly to shop; riding the monorail to the CR for shopping or dinner; watching the castle from our room (with theme park view).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiwoz View Post
Thank you! That's good to know!

Bobbi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShanShan View Post
My husband is NOT a Disney fan. In 6 years I'fe talked him into 3 Disney trips with me (7 nights, 3 nights, 2 nights). He has stayed at BWV, Cont. CL (Split stay), YC, and Pop. He HATED Pop (although he picked it) because he said it was too noisey. He loved Cont because of the club level. We have a trip planned fir Labor Day weekend in a dxl RPC room. Parks aren't a biggie for us. We just want a nice place to relax and enjoy for a few days. DH's only requests was a resort he hasn't stayed in yet and club level. With all the construction going on, his quiet and relaxing do you think the GF will be? I've stayed there multiple times before, but I'm really wondering if I should switch to the Poly and leave Ff fir another trip. Thoughts??
I wish I could tell you what you want to hear, but I'm afraid there won't be a lot of quiet for a while. It may or may not affect your trip, especially in an RPC room - but keep in mind, many of the deluxe rooms overlook the beach pool and Wedding Chapel, right where the DVC construction is going on.

Even if you request a courtyard view, away from the DVC building, the courtyard pool rehab may have started by Labor Day.

Good luck, I hope you are able to have a wonderful, relaxing stay wherever you end up. I know what it's like trying to make things smooth for a non-Disney DH!
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Old 07-11-2012, 11:24 PM   #473
gr8vthsfam
Mouseketeer

Now really bummed.... no pool, no Gaspirillas -(where I planned CS breakfast - now no option for CS on dining plan at GF? No kids club - have to hoof it to Poly and then back to GF for Anniv. dinner, if no Gaspriillas, then no arcade -thus a waste of the 100 arcade points included in package - REALLY not feeling like I am getting my monies worth. Can't cancel now - too many plans, but sure wish I knew all this BEFORE I booked, so I could have avoided getting hopes up and now the disappointment.
Hoping the YC part of our stay will make up for it. Who knows, maybe this will be the trip that finally turns me off to GF.

WDL '78
WDW '94
WDW '98 CBR
WDW '01 GF
WDW '06 GF
WDW '12 GF
DCL '12 Dream
WDW '12 YC
Old 07-12-2012, 02:25 AM   #474
MinniesDi
I left my heart in WDW

We're at the GF in Sept, we're really upset at the closures, we attempted to change our reservation to the WL yesterday but our TA (virgin Atlantic) have said we would lose our offers, we have free DDP plus free $300 Disney dollars. We are really angry with this, we have spent 2 years saving for the most amazing holiday. We will not give up trying to move resort WITH the bonuses we are entitled to.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:43 AM   #475
micknme
Mouseketeer

And so it begins...yesterday changed from the GF to the Poly and last night, the YC opened up with one room with our dates and in our category so I jumped on it. Made for a couple hours spent changing around a lot of ADR's, but I got everything I wanted so we are all set (that's the problem with the deluxe DDP for 12 days...so many adr's to change). Can't wait until 2013 so we can be back at a renewed and gorgeous GF!!!

Happy planning to everyone.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #476
jillmc40
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenneth79 View Post
Doubt it. Disney relies on the fact that those of us who frequent the boards and websites related to Disney information only make up a small percentage of the overall guests.

That being said, you will still be able to use the Beach Pool and could also go to the Poly pool if you wanted to check that out.

We were the second couple to be moved to Saratoga Springs Spa when GF closed down last September....and I have to say it was still a wonderful experience! (We're heading back in October ourselves for massages!)
I just looked at the AP rates that opened today for August to Sept 29 and they were good enough for me I even think that maybe booking a Theme Park View will make it even better. So now I wait for the next round to be released.....I am looking forward to the spa, I booked the my first manicure/pedicure for my dd5 and regulars for my Mom and I. I am very excited for this trip!

Does anyone know if you can buy a cd of the orchestra? I thought I read that you could but I want to make sure that I buy one when I am there for my DH. He is a bass player and chatted for a while with the bass player of the orchestra the last time we were there. I was going to try and get it signed for him since he is getting shafted on the trip
Old 07-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #477
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8vthsfam View Post
Now really bummed.... no pool, no Gaspirillas -(where I planned CS breakfast - now no option for CS on dining plan at GF? No kids club - have to hoof it to Poly and then back to GF for Anniv. dinner, if no Gaspriillas, then no arcade -thus a waste of the 100 arcade points included in package - REALLY not feeling like I am getting my monies worth. Can't cancel now - too many plans, but sure wish I knew all this BEFORE I booked, so I could have avoided getting hopes up and now the disappointment.
Hoping the YC part of our stay will make up for it. Who knows, maybe this will be the trip that finally turns me off to GF.
Very disappointing, I agree. Truly, if I were this upset, I would switch resorts even if I had to change dining reservations. Better a few days of reworking plans now than a week of misery while you are supposed to be relaxing and having fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinniesDi View Post
We're at the GF in Sept, we're really upset at the closures, we attempted to change our reservation to the WL yesterday but our TA (virgin Atlantic) have said we would lose our offers, we have free DDP plus free $300 Disney dollars. We are really angry with this, we have spent 2 years saving for the most amazing holiday. We will not give up trying to move resort WITH the bonuses we are entitled to.
I'm so sorry you are having trouble switching resorts - I hope you will be successful if persistent. Have you checked to see if your overall cost would be less, even without the perks? WL room rates are quite a bit less than the GF.

With a deluxe resort, you may actually come out cheaper with room discount rather than free DDP, it's worth working the numbers. Just a thought. Best of luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micknme View Post
And so it begins...yesterday changed from the GF to the Poly and last night, the YC opened up with one room with our dates and in our category so I jumped on it. Made for a couple hours spent changing around a lot of ADR's, but I got everything I wanted so we are all set (that's the problem with the deluxe DDP for 12 days...so many adr's to change). Can't wait until 2013 so we can be back at a renewed and gorgeous GF!!!

Happy planning to everyone.
I'm glad you were able to move to something that makes you happy, and I agree - the GF will be glorious when the work is complete.

Quote:
I just looked at the AP rates that opened today for August to Sept 29 and they were good enough for me I even think that maybe booking a Theme Park View will make it even better. So now I wait for the next round to be released.....I am looking forward to the spa, I booked the my first manicure/pedicure for my dd5 and regulars for my Mom and I. I am very excited for this trip!

Does anyone know if you can buy a cd of the orchestra? I thought I read that you could but I want to make sure that I buy one when I am there for my DH. He is a bass player and chatted for a while with the bass player of the orchestra the last time we were there. I was going to try and get it signed for him since he is getting shafted on the trip
They do have a CD, I'm pretty sure it's in the gift shop, but can't say 100% that it will be there when you go. Most likely - of course, you'll have to ask which one as Sandy Cove is due to be closed. Probably moved to M. Mouse Mercantile at that time.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:35 AM   #478
CoachBagFanatic
My two Shiba babies :-)

Location: Somewhere between here and there!! Just as long as there is a Coach store in the middle I am happy :) Love the Dropkick Murphys!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
CoachBagFanatic - what a great thing to have bonus kids, isn't it? My DD's friends and my oldest DS's girlfriend were in our house all the time, and sometimes went on vacation with us. You are doing a very good thing, allowing these kids to be a part of your family.

Two fun trips to start planning - woohoo! Hugs regarding the HS graduation, it's hard.
You must have been reading my mind as I was thinking what if Michael has a girl friend by the time we go to the GF in 2014. This is something that I have to think about as well. He had a Girl friend last year but that didn't work out too well. Kind of happy about that one as, let me try to put this nicely, she knew a lot of people (boys).

I know it's a couple of years away but you just never know. He says that he's not ready for that as he wants to focus on his schooling but things can change.

Michael's two friends are like my son's. We have known them since 2nd grade. I adore these kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas130 View Post
That's really great of you! We have so many kiddos, one or two more, doubt we would notice a difference

I wasn't even going to tell my hubby, but I asked him if he would mind staying at the GF. He said he doesn't care where we stay as long as we are together. He knows its more $, but he knows how disappointed I was that we were moved to YC last year. However, he doesn't know I booked CL, let alone RPC
Oh your hubby is going to be thrilled if you stay at RPC. Notice I said "if".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotheadgoofy View Post
What you are doing for the boys is so nice. They will always remember it! We live within 45 minutes of both BG and VA Beach. Let me know if you need any local info.
Thank you so much. The last time we were in VA BG was 2006 so I am sure a lot has changed since then. If I need any help, I will be sure to PM you. Again thank you.

Jungle Cruiser I hope today finds you feeling well.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:50 AM   #479
MinniesDi
I left my heart in WDW

After an hour on the phone to Virgin Atlantic they have finally let us change to the WL and keep our free DDP and free Disney dollars!!!! They are not even aware of the resort closures so were reluctant to let us move without penalising us.

Excited to be trying the WL but sad to not be going back to my favourite resort.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:14 AM   #480
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh my goodness! I've been away from the Resort boards for a while because we are planning a California/DL trip and I'm staying at Boardwalk for the Wine & Dine marathon so I've been trying not to tempt myself with reservation changes. I had NO idea of the extent of the GF rehabs or the Poly main building construction until today!

Now I really don't know what to do about our Spring 2013 trip. I was going to book the Poly because it's our 2nd choice after the GF and we just stayed at the GF last year and thought - hey it's under construction, let's make this a Poly stay. But now?!?!? Of course if it's just the main DVC construction, I would probably pick GF over a Poly with no monorail station, but GF prices are hard for me to justify under construction (well, hard to justify AND save for the GF DVC at the same time lol!). We were at the GF last spring when they took the monorail offline during the middle of the day. Had i known in advance, I might have used the opportunity to save money and stay somewhere else. We love the WL - it might be time to return there (although their discounts are dismal this year). DS is dying to stay at the Contemporary too (I have no desire to though). Maybe a split stay? We do like the Epcot resorts and AKL, but have found we feel more disney by MK.

I was hoping to book a bounceback when we are there for the race in November. I was all set with dates and the Poly.

Maybe later this year I'll have to book rooms at both the Poly and the GF and the WL for next spring and see what the construction is like closer on. Can you even do that? Yikes what a mess!

Can I ask what you (or anyone else) have heard/read about construction at the Poly? I haven't heard about this and have ressies there in December....
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: