Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 10:22 AM   #451
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Jungle Cruiser - hello, my friend. I hope you are feeling well.

I agree, once all the work is completed the Grand will be even better. I like the zero entry for the courtyard pool, too - I hope they keep the 6 ft. depth, we really like having a deep end. So many resort pools are going to a wading pool, less than 5 ft.

bdklein - if you want to be facing the marina, alert IPO. I'm not sure how that works with a TA; usually, if you book through a travel agent, WDW does not work with you as they do not have your reservation until just before you arrive. The agency owns your res. and all your info. With club, I'm not sure if you work directly with them, or still go through your TA, who then alerts IPO of requests. Anyone else have experience with this?

There are some photos of the marina view from SL on the first page - I think they are in post #13.

If you prefer the Poly, you should still have time to switch.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 07-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #452
*~PrincessBelle~*
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleStinkerbelle View Post
I haven't been around on this thread for a while since we got back from our April stay, but I immedialy thought of you all on this wonderful thread when I read the rehab announcement yesterday. I can only speak for myself (and I hope this doesn't make me hated), but if I was going to be staying in the midst of several things closed at once I'd probably be thinking about switching. The Courtyard Pool is a big one to me because I feel like that courtyard is the "central beauty" of the resort and it would really detract from my experience to walk by construction walls (I'm just making the assumption the whole thing would be walled off, but that's just my guess). With all that said, take me with a grain of salt because I'm pretty construction-adverse when it comes to my Disney stays. That's actually how we ended up back at the GF this April (we were supposed to be at BC but switched when we found out there was a last minute rehab of SAB). While we go to Disney every year, we tend to mix up our hotel choices, so it might be many trips before I get back to a resort so I like to experience it at it's prime, kwim? There was construction going on at the GF while we were there (feature pool and of course the beach walls) but it wasn't too bad because once we were in the heart of the resort it was easy to avoid but work in the main hub of the resort would be more of a bummer to me. Just my two cents.
Thanks to everyone who commented and to other families affected hugs to you all too! I think I may be switching over to BC and saving the GF for another trip in the future...I think that when all the reno's are done it will look even more spectacular than before..so I will just have to be patient and wait to experience it in all its glory...
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #453
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
Jungle Cruiser - hello, my friend. I hope you are feeling well.

I agree, once all the work is completed the Grand will be even better. I like the zero entry for the courtyard pool, too - I hope they keep the 6 ft. depth, we really like having a deep end. So many resort pools are going to a wading pool, less than 5 ft.

bdklein - if you want to be facing the marina, alert IPO. I'm not sure how that works with a TA; usually, if you book through a travel agent, WDW does not work with you as they do not have your reservation until just before you arrive. The agency owns your res. and all your info. With club, I'm not sure if you work directly with them, or still go through your TA, who then alerts IPO of requests. Anyone else have experience with this?

There are some photos of the marina view from SL on the first page - I think they are in post #13.

If you prefer the Poly, you should still have time to switch.
Thanks. Except we are going with another family who will only stay at the GF. Main Building, CL, MK View. Snobs-lol. None of us want to split up. So we will manage. And the positives will far outweigh the negatives. I sent email to IPO and my TA, and will call the GF directly once we get closer.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #454
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post

bdklein[/b] - if you want to be facing the marina, alert IPO. I'm not sure how that works with a TA; usually, if you book through a travel agent, WDW does not work with you as they do not have your reservation until just before you arrive. The agency owns your res. and all your info. With club, I'm not sure if you work directly with them, or still go through your TA, who then alerts IPO of requests. Anyone else have experience with this?
I did contact IPO-they have replied and have put the request on our reservation. Keeping fingers crossed.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #455
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed_wth_Triplets View Post
Sorry y'all....I'm just such a mess and so confused. Call hubby at work and he thinks we should stay (in reality we probably don't have a choice....we prob. Could switch to YC but with 6 of us he thinks we will be more comfortable in a GF room). Given my daughter will be three next year, this is our one and only chance to stay at the GF. He thinks the monorail will be worth it. How big is the beach pool? I expect it will be crowded with the courtyard pool closed? Gasparillas is a huge disappointment though...being our only option for eating counter service will be outside in the hot August heat. Is it that big of a deal to take the monorail to the Poly or Contemporary for some affordable meals? We will not be on the DDP. Trying to see the good....
I honestly don't think you'll see that much difference between the YC room size and the GF - but I could be wrong. I haven't had 6 in a room, but have had 5 ranging in ages from 6 and up. We were in a moderate room our first stay, then moved up to Boardwalk and it felt like we had so much room! lol The Poly feels larger even though it and the GF are nearly the same size for std. rooms, as the sink area is in the bathroom; at the GF, the sink/dressing area takes up a bit of floor space from the bedroom.

Anyway - not trying to talk you out of the GF, I know you've said you want to stay there before your youngest makes it impossible. I just hate for you to get there and wish you had moved.

It is quite easy to hop the monorail for meals at the CR. We prefer to take the boat to the Poly as it is the next stop. I would also suggest stopping on the way to the resort for snacks for the room, b'fast items, etc. We usually do this when not planning a lot of table service meals even when all services are available.

If you are using ME, you can still go to M.Mouse at the Grand (if Sandy Cove DOES close before you arrive), or the Poly or CR gift shops and grab a few items. We even packed some granola, peanut butter and b'fast bars in our checked luggage one trip, then picked up milk and water at the resort. Or - use Garden Grocer to deliver to the resort. I think the minimum order is $40, but it's not too hard to hit that with water, juice, yogurt, etc. for a family of 6!
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Old 07-11-2012, 10:43 AM   #456
mariamouse
Believes in the magic!!
Should know the difference between the Tag Fairy and Tinkerbell!!! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed_wth_Triplets View Post
Sorry y'all....I'm just such a mess and so confused. Call hubby at work and he thinks we should stay (in reality we probably don't have a choice....we prob. Could switch to YC but with 6 of us he thinks we will be more comfortable in a GF room). Given my daughter will be three next year, this is our one and only chance to stay at the GF. He thinks the monorail will be worth it. How big is the beach pool? I expect it will be crowded with the courtyard pool closed? Gasparillas is a huge disappointment though...being our only option for eating counter service will be outside in the hot August heat. Is it that big of a deal to take the monorail to the Poly or Contemporary for some affordable meals? We will not be on the DDP. Trying to see the good....
As much as I love the GF, I would suggest switching to the YC. The guaranteed access to SAB (especially in a hot month like August!) and counter service at the BC makes the slightly smaller room size worth it, IMO. Plus, I actually prefer the room decor at the YC to that of the GF. Good luck with your decision!
GF GV- January 2014, BCV- January 2013, GF LV- December 2011, AKL PV & GF GV- February 2007, BWI WV CL- February 2006, AKL SV- February 2005, Polynesian GV- February 2004, WL WV & Polynesian GV- November 2002, BC GV- February 2002, CR GV- February 2001, POFQ- February 1996, CBR- February 1994
Old 07-11-2012, 10:48 AM   #457
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

ETA: good points, mariamouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *~PrincessBelle~* View Post
Thanks to everyone who commented and to other families affected hugs to you all too! I think I may be switching over to BC and saving the GF for another trip in the future...I think that when all the reno's are done it will look even more spectacular than before..so I will just have to be patient and wait to experience it in all its glory...
I'm glad you've found a remedy that you are happy with, I don't blame you for switching. Love the BC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdklein View Post
Thanks. Except we are going with another family who will only stay at the GF. Main Building, CL, MK View. Snobs-lol. None of us want to split up. So we will manage. And the positives will far outweigh the negatives. I sent email to IPO and my TA, and will call the GF directly once we get closer.
LOL! Well, it was a thought.

You can call IPO as well as email, the phone number is 407-824-1775. They are at the resort, you will not get a call center. (this number is for club level only, for anyone wondering! IPO will direct you to call the main number if you do not have a CL confirmation)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdklein View Post
I did contact IPO-they have replied and have put the request on our reservation. Keeping fingers crossed.
Thanks for this info, good to know! Now that I think about it...I was able to deal with IPO when I booked a great deal through Orbitz a few years ago. Completely forgot about that, my memory isn't what it used to be. lol
Old 07-11-2012, 11:52 AM   #458
IWISHFORDISNEY
Cant get enough of the mouse!
It was tricky with only one bathroom
I will never ever forget that embarrassing episode of being farted upon

Location: The First State but wishing it was the Sunshine State...

We just changed our October trip too. The closure of the courtyard pool was a resort killer for me. We are now at YC for our fall trip. My little man is so disappointed. But I am thankful for this information the CRO had no idea a rehab was going on when I told them why I changed today.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #459
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

A little nervous about the GF construction too.....We arrive on Dec 9. Hopefully they will be working inside the DVC building by then. More worried about the courtyard pool and Gasparilla Grill. From what I am reading they are saying work will be finished at Gasparilla's in December...Sure wish there was a date on that, but I'm sure they just haven't posted one because they don't know themselves yet. And I have read the end of November for the courtyard pool and then somewhere else it says December...Guess we'll just have to wait and see. We are going to keep our ressie either way. I just might add the request of a marina view onto our SL ressie. Although I'm sure everyone else is doing that as well!
Old 07-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #460
micknme
Mouseketeer

Thank you for your hug, k&a&c'smom.

As much as it saddened me to make this change, we are now at the Poly, Hawaii building for the 12 days.

I absolutely love, love, love the Grand Floridian, especially the Sugar Loaf building, but picturing us this fall walking past the courtyard pool multiple times on a daily basis just made me feel sad.

I am now relieved for our upcoming trip but I'm also very excited to get back to the GF next year when she is back in grand form!

Hugs to everyone who is disappointed as well.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:34 PM   #461
pas130
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBagFanatic View Post
You know, any place that the three of us are together is incredible. Just add the GF to the mix and it will be super incredible.

Michael's friends are always at our house. We all sit down and have dinner together, watch TV and just talk. Something they don't get at home. To me it's an important part of a kids life is to have that family time together. They feel that at our house and they feel comfortable as well. Which makes me really happy. They are my other son's.

You are too funny with the changing.

You are correct, they are both amazing ladies.
That's really great of you! We have so many kiddos, one or two more, doubt we would notice a difference

I wasn't even going to tell my hubby, but I asked him if he would mind staying at the GF. He said he doesn't care where we stay as long as we are together. He knows its more $, but he knows how disappointed I was that we were moved to YC last year. However, he doesn't know I booked CL, let alone RPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by micknme View Post
I'm beginning to worry as well. I love the beauty and serenity of the courtyard pool as we walk to the main building so I'm really starting to question our choice of resort. I love the GF but I'm thinking maybe this year I should give another resort a try....
If the CY pool was closed earlier in August, I would change to Poly too. The Beach pool with all the construction...no thank you. You'll have a great stay at Hawaii building I am sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink rules View Post
I was going to switch to the Poly but now they are telling people over there that the pool will be open to GF guests also since the pools over at the GF are going to be worked on

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleStinkerbelle View Post
but work in the main hub of the resort would be more of a bummer to me. Just my two cents.
This is my thought as well. No real outdoor escape from everything...hope the refurb of the pool doesn't tae too long. Although I do like the addition of a zero entry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBird View Post
Hope all that have travel plans in the upcoming months will be able to come to a decision on whether to keep the reservations or move hotels, and then be at peace with the decision.
It's tough.
Well said my friend. I know since next month it's DH & I...no biggie with he construction. I imagine much of the tim will be spent indoorstaking abreak from the summer heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Cruiser View Post
Good morning Well, it's out there, all the rumors we have heard are now pretty much confirmed. I have to say, Disney rarely lets construction timetables out ahead of time, so hopefully if people don't want to stay at the GF during the construction in the fall, there is time to make changes.

I have to say when the work is done the resort should be beautiful. The expansion of Gaspirillas will be wonderful and zero entry for the courtyard pool will be a bonus. I would imagine it is time for routine work on the pool anyway. That being said, I feel badly for families that have booked during this time period
I feel very badly, especially those planning their first Grand stay The Grand will once agan be glorious and better than ever when all is done.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #462
Figment1990
DIS Veteran

Oh my goodness! I've been away from the Resort boards for a while because we are planning a California/DL trip and I'm staying at Boardwalk for the Wine & Dine marathon so I've been trying not to tempt myself with reservation changes. I had NO idea of the extent of the GF rehabs or the Poly main building construction until today!

Now I really don't know what to do about our Spring 2013 trip. I was going to book the Poly because it's our 2nd choice after the GF and we just stayed at the GF last year and thought - hey it's under construction, let's make this a Poly stay. But now?!?!? Of course if it's just the main DVC construction, I would probably pick GF over a Poly with no monorail station, but GF prices are hard for me to justify under construction (well, hard to justify AND save for the GF DVC at the same time lol!). We were at the GF last spring when they took the monorail offline during the middle of the day. Had i known in advance, I might have used the opportunity to save money and stay somewhere else. We love the WL - it might be time to return there (although their discounts are dismal this year). DS is dying to stay at the Contemporary too (I have no desire to though). Maybe a split stay? We do like the Epcot resorts and AKL, but have found we feel more disney by MK.

I was hoping to book a bounceback when we are there for the race in November. I was all set with dates and the Poly.

Maybe later this year I'll have to book rooms at both the Poly and the GF and the WL for next spring and see what the construction is like closer on. Can you even do that? Yikes what a mess!

First trip: Mar 90, Polynesian Most recent trips: Feb '14, Princess 1/2 - GF; Jan '14, Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon! - GCH; Nov '13, Wine & Dine 1/2Marathon - BWI! In-between: Grand Floridian, AKV-Kidani, Poly, WL, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Coronado Springs, Disneyland Hotel
Old 07-11-2012, 02:25 PM   #463
Figment1990
DIS Veteran

Do we know for sure that they are adding zero entry to the courtyard pool? I think that's what everyone thought when they redid the Poly courtyard pool and then they did not (I think). I think all they did was make it more shallow.

I just pray they don't take out the baby pool. It was my son's favorite when he was little. I think it's crazy that the Poly and CR don't have a baby pool even though they have zero entry it's just not the same for little kids. My son will have grown out of it by next year, but for others with little ones....

First trip: Mar 90, Polynesian Most recent trips: Feb '14, Princess 1/2 - GF; Jan '14, Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon! - GCH; Nov '13, Wine & Dine 1/2Marathon - BWI! In-between: Grand Floridian, AKV-Kidani, Poly, WL, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Coronado Springs, Disneyland Hotel

Last edited by Figment1990; 07-11-2012 at 03:23 PM. Reason: typo- I didn't mean to type the exact feet of Poly pool.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #464
baler31
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment1990 View Post
Do we know for sure that they are adding zero entry to the courtyard pool? I think that's what everyone thought when they redid the Poly courtyard pool and then they did not (I think). I think all they did was make it 3 feet all around.

I just pray they don't take out the baby pool. It was my son's favorite when he was little. I think it's crazy that the Poly and CR don't have a baby pool even though they have zero entry it's just not the same for little kids. My son will have grown out of it by next year, but for others with little ones....
I was told by the actual manager about the zero entry pool during my stay in June. At that time he simply told me the pool would be renovated for the zero entry starting in late August. Who knows I am sure anything can change though.

I was also told about Gasparillas and the other work as well. FWIW I was told there were no plans to reopen the Kid's Club after renovation but I see in the announcement they have only announced it as a refurb. The main building CM's had already seen quite a backlash from that and I was told they really thought they would have to rethink that with all the guests arriving for dining that place children in the club.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:10 PM   #465
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

In January I will be staying at AKL, but with a friend who would like to venture to the GF to listen to live music in the lobby. She was at the Park Faire dinner in May with her family, so didn't have time to stay as long as she wanted.

Is there always music in the evenings, even in January? I would make dinner ADR's at the Cafe, what time would be best to eat, if we want to enjoy music afterwards?

Thank you,
Bobbi

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: