Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 07:13 AM   #436
LittleStinkerbelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by *~PrincessBelle~* View Post
Hmmmm...after hearing some of the recent closures for GF im starting to get worried...Looks like both Gasparilla Grill and the Courtyard Pool are going to be closed during my stay...I was really looking forward to some relaxing pool time...and now all that will be available is the beach pool with all the ugly construction around it (at least it looked that way in May - not sure if this is still the case?) ...thoughts? Is all this construction/refurbs throwing a wrench in anyone else's plans? Just so hard to justify $400/night to look at construction walls and not use all the resort offerings

I haven't been around on this thread for a while since we got back from our April stay, but I immedialy thought of you all on this wonderful thread when I read the rehab announcement yesterday. I can only speak for myself (and I hope this doesn't make me hated), but if I was going to be staying in the midst of several things closed at once I'd probably be thinking about switching. The Courtyard Pool is a big one to me because I feel like that courtyard is the "central beauty" of the resort and it would really detract from my experience to walk by construction walls (I'm just making the assumption the whole thing would be walled off, but that's just my guess). With all that said, take me with a grain of salt because I'm pretty construction-adverse when it comes to my Disney stays. That's actually how we ended up back at the GF this April (we were supposed to be at BC but switched when we found out there was a last minute rehab of SAB). While we go to Disney every year, we tend to mix up our hotel choices, so it might be many trips before I get back to a resort so I like to experience it at it's prime, kwim? There was construction going on at the GF while we were there (feature pool and of course the beach walls) but it wasn't too bad because once we were in the heart of the resort it was easy to avoid but work in the main hub of the resort would be more of a bummer to me. Just my two cents.

Planning a "super-secret" October F&WF weekend!

DFTVR - Memories Collection, October 2010 at Conch Key Marina

Last edited by LittleStinkerbelle; 07-11-2012 at 07:32 AM. Reason: clarify
Old 07-11-2012, 07:13 AM   #437
Blessed_wth_Triplets
DIS Veteran

I could be sick! I just called GF and asked to speak to a manager who confirmed that the Courtyard pool is going to be closed starting August 22, and same with Gasparillos. A guess they will set up a bar that will serve small quick service at the beach pool. This is soooo dissapointing and I'm really regretting canceling my free dining package just Yesterday at AoA! We have a standard garden view room booked as well...so I guess we get to look at the work at the Courtyard pool all week. This is CERTAINLY why we got such a great rate...but still....
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-11-2012, 07:18 AM   #438
LittleStinkerbelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed_wth_Triplets View Post
I could be sick! I just called GF and asked to speak to a manager who confirmed that the Courtyard pool is going to be closed starting August 22, and same with Gasparillos. A guess they will set up a bar that will serve small quick service at the beach pool. This is soooo dissapointing and I'm really regretting canceling my free dining package just Yesterday at AoA! We have a standard garden view room booked as well...so I guess we get to look at the work at the Courtyard pool all week. This is CERTAINLY why we got such a great rate...but still....
One thing you could do is ask them to note "away from construction" on your reservation. We did this in April.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:22 AM   #439
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

CoachBagFanatic - what a great thing to have bonus kids, isn't it? My DD's friends and my oldest DS's girlfriend were in our house all the time, and sometimes went on vacation with us. You are doing a very good thing, allowing these kids to be a part of your family.

Two fun trips to start planning - woohoo! Hugs regarding the HS graduation, it's hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdklein View Post
Does the GF have tennis courts? I have seen conflciting information. If so, do they have racquets and balls for use? And is there a charge?
Quote:
Looks like the tennis courts have been razed for the DVC at GF.
Sorry you had to answer your own question, bdklein! You are correct, the tennis courts are gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michashell View Post
k&a&c'smom and bethclayton
Thanks so much for the birthday tips for my son! Great ideas! I love the personalized shirt from etsy idea and all of the pirate stuff. I do remember seeing this on one of the travel shows before we had kids.

We are excited to introduce our children to The World. It will be such a wonderful and different experience for all of us.
I'm excited for you!

Quote:
Does the GF publish some sort of daily or weekly itinerary showing any pool activites, movies on the beach, etc.? anywhere to see a copy?
They do, and I have some, but they change seasonally and with the discontinuation or addition of various activities. They pass them out at check in.

The pool activities usually run from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. - the things you might find are Wii games, dive toys, hula hoop contests, dance parties, Disney trivia, scavenger hunt, etc.

The movie list is usually on a board near the pool.

Quote:
Oh no!! where did you hear this information and is it reliable?? We arebgoing thelast week of August and had I known both pools would be closed I would not have booked it! What is the dates you heard for all these closings?
Check out the link provided by Tink rules - it is from allears, which is extremely reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink rules View Post
I was going to switch to the Poly but now they are telling people over there that the pool will be open to GF guests also since the pools over at the GF are going to be worked on
Thanks for the link, I guess they are finally announcing some of the closures. Sorry it will impact your stay. I can't imagine the crowds at the Poly pool for the late summer-fall!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *~PrincessBelle~* View Post
Hmmmm...after hearing some of the recent closures for GF im starting to get worried...Looks like both Gasparilla Grill and the Courtyard Pool are going to be closed during my stay...I was really looking forward to some relaxing pool time...and now all that will be available is the beach pool with all the ugly construction around it (at least it looked that way in May - not sure if this is still the case?) ...thoughts? Is all this construction/refurbs throwing a wrench in anyone else's plans? Just so hard to justify $400/night to look at construction walls and not use all the resort offerings
I certainly understand your feelings, it would be hard to pay top dollar for partial resort amenities. The only consolation I can give is the timeline will most likely be tweaked at least once, so it may or may not coincide with your dates.

Hard to know what to do.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 07-11-2012, 07:26 AM   #440
LittleStinkerbelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post

I certainly understand your feelings, it would be hard to pay top dollar for partial resort amenities. The only consolation I can give is the timeline will most likely be tweaked at least once, so it may or may not coincide with your dates.

Hard to know what to do.
This is an excellent point! In 2011 we were booked at the Poly when the announced that the quiet pool would be down for rehab starting right before our stay. At check-in we asked to be away from the pool construction and they looked at my mom like she had two heads - they knew nothing of it and promptly gave us a room right overlooking the quiet pool. Turns out the project had been delayed and nothing happened the whole time we were there.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:36 AM   #441
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by micknme View Post
I'm beginning to worry as well. I love the beauty and serenity of the courtyard pool as we walk to the main building so I'm really starting to question our choice of resort. I love the GF but I'm thinking maybe this year I should give another resort a try....
If you will be there during the courtyard pool renovations, it will definitely have an impact on the feel of the resort. The courtyard pool is the centerpiece of the resort. You may want to look into other choices.

Keep us posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleStinkerbelle View Post
I haven't been around on this thread for a while since we got back from our April stay, but I immedialy thought of you all on this wonderful thread when I read the rehab announcement yesterday. I can only speak for myself (and I hope this doesn't make me hated), but if I was going to be staying in the midst of several things closed at once I'd probably be thinking about switching. The Courtyard Pool is a big one to me because I feel like that courtyard is the "central beauty" of the resort and it would really detract from my experience to walk by construction walls (I'm just making the assumption the whole thing would be walled off, but that's just my guess). With all that said, I'm pretty construction-adverse when it comes to my Disney stays. That's actually how we ended up back at the GF this April (we were supposed to be at BC but switched when we found out there was a last minute rehab of SAB). While we go to Disney every year, we tend to mix up our hotel choices, so it might be many trips before I get back to a resort so I like to experience it at it's prime, kwim? There was construction going on at the GF while we were there (feature pool and of course the beach walls) but it wasn't too bad because once we were in the heart of the resort it was easy to avoid but work in the main hub of the resort would be more of a bummer to me. Just my two cents.
Oh, my! Of course you won't be hated. I don't blame anyone for feeling they would stay elsewhere during a huge refurb - I do the same thing. We've avoided several resorts during renovations, so I understand.

Quote:
I'm so sorry about the AoA pkg. My suggestion would be to call DRC and ask for Guest Services - or, if you are using a TA, have them do it for you. Explain the situation, and see if they will retrieve your AoA pkg. Probably not, but it's worth a shot.

If that doesn't work out, you could always move to another resort. Not what you hoped, but maybe better than feeling so much worry. If you keep the GF reservation, you can request marina view, or to be in Sago - it has only marina or monorail views.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Old 07-11-2012, 07:58 AM   #442
Blessed_wth_Triplets
DIS Veteran

Yep...I'm officially...totally...sick.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:02 AM   #443
Blessed_wth_Triplets
DIS Veteran

What is DRC? What is the number? Thank you.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:20 AM   #444
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

DRC stands for Disney Reservations Center - it's the central booking office you call whenever you book. There are various numbers, but I would try 407-939-1894 and ask for a guest services CM.

Good luck.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #445
JoBird
Proud Charter Member of the Tagless Clique
I almost got a tag about clean butter but then the tag fairy saw I don't like tags

Hey everyone! Been out of town for the 4th of July and come back to read all of the closures and Rehabs taking place at our Beautiful Resort. Makes me so sad for everyone that will be there in the midst of it.

We are arriving Dec 8th so hopefully the Courtyard pool renovations will be complete by then, but not expecting it. Hopefully we will be surprised. DH just told me this morning to add another day onto our reservations, that he needs more time there. He obviously does not care about the construction going on and would stay there if the place was a big heap of rubble.

Hoping our request of Marina view in SL will be granted, but with all the people not wanting to chance a view of the construction at the Courtyard pool, I'm not holding my breath.

Hope all that have travel plans in the upcoming months will be able to come to a decision on whether to keep the reservations or move hotels, and then be at peace with the decision.
It's tough.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:04 AM   #446
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

JoBird - welcome back! LOL about your DH wanting to be at the GF if it were a pile of rubble - too funny.

I hope the major refurbs are finished by the time you arrive, too, and for everyone going in December. It's such a lovely time to be in the World, we all hope for the Grand to be in top form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleStinkerbelle View Post
This is an excellent point! In 2011 we were booked at the Poly when the announced that the quiet pool would be down for rehab starting right before our stay. At check-in we asked to be away from the pool construction and they looked at my mom like she had two heads - they knew nothing of it and promptly gave us a room right overlooking the quiet pool. Turns out the project had been delayed and nothing happened the whole time we were there.
I've seen this more than once; guests move their reservations according to rehab info, and it ends up not happening as planned. So frustrating - but glad you didn't have to deal with it on your trip.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:13 AM   #447
mariamouse
Believes in the magic!!
Should know the difference between the Tag Fairy and Tinkerbell!!! ;)

Quote:
Yep...I'm officially...totally...sick.
I am sorry that you are so disappointed! It is completely understandable.

If I recall correctly, your TA gave you the option of either the YC or the GF. Is it too late for you to switch to the YC instead?

I am crossing the fingers for all of you and am hopeful that the GF will make the construction as aesthetically pleasing as possible!
GF GV- January 2014, BCV- January 2013, GF LV- December 2011, AKL PV & GF GV- February 2007, BWI WV CL- February 2006, AKL SV- February 2005, Polynesian GV- February 2004, WL WV & Polynesian GV- November 2002, BC GV- February 2002, CR GV- February 2001, POFQ- February 1996, CBR- February 1994
Old 07-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #448
Jungle Cruiser
DIS Veteran

Good morning Well, it's out there, all the rumors we have heard are now pretty much confirmed. I have to say, Disney rarely lets construction timetables out ahead of time, so hopefully if people don't want to stay at the GF during the construction in the fall, there is time to make changes.

I have to say when the work is done the resort should be beautiful. The expansion of Gaspirillas will be wonderful and zero entry for the courtyard pool will be a bonus. I would imagine it is time for routine work on the pool anyway. That being said, I feel badly for families that have booked during this time period
Old 07-11-2012, 09:58 AM   #449
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Thx all for your info.

I do have another question. Staying CL in Outer Building from August 18-25 2012. In terms of room request, I assume I shoudl request Marina view? is that right? And make that request through IPO? The hotel directly? My ressie is via AAA, so add that to my reservation too?

Thnaks in advance to all.

P.S. I knew we should have stayed at the Poly!!!
Old 07-11-2012, 10:19 AM   #450
Blessed_wth_Triplets
DIS Veteran

Sorry y'all....I'm just such a mess and so confused. Call hubby at work and he thinks we should stay (in reality we probably don't have a choice....we prob. Could switch to YC but with 6 of us he thinks we will be more comfortable in a GF room). Given my daughter will be three next year, this is our one and only chance to stay at the GF. He thinks the monorail will be worth it. How big is the beach pool? I expect it will be crowded with the courtyard pool closed? Gasparillas is a huge disappointment though...being our only option for eating counter service will be outside in the hot August heat. Is it that big of a deal to take the monorail to the Poly or Contemporary for some affordable meals? We will not be on the DDP. Trying to see the good....
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: