Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 01:09 AM   #391
Finally08
DIS Veteran

Didn't know if this has been mentioned and was wondering if anyone knew more info - I read on another board that the quick service place at GF would be closing for refurb towards the end of august through december. This obviously affects us....as eating will be pretty difficult if that's the only QS option!!
Nov 2008 - With Twilight friends in DisneylandMay 2009 - The family returns to WDW! Contemporary
June 2009 - Girls dance trip / All Star MoviesFeb 14-21 2010 Wilderness Lodge Nov 18-27 2010 Pop Century - just me and my girlMay 18-31 2011 Pop Century - just me and my girl, aka "the queen of the kingdom"October 2011 - Family Halloween fun!!Nov. 26-30 '11 trip to visit Flynn!Dec 28- Jan 8 '12 NYE Madness
Sept 27-Oct 2 2012 - Enchanted MNSSHP
Old 07-07-2012, 07:27 AM   #392
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

beckysko - Thanks for the photos! Wonderful room with lovely views. I was surprised to hear some of the RPC staff are unaware of the 2nd floor laundry room, I'm sure others have reported asking for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFmom View Post
Can I exchange my pre-order PhotoPass + voucher at the Mouse Mercantile in the GF or do I need to go to DTD or a Park?
Welcome! I've never used Photopass, so I can't help. If no one here has any info, you might try posting on the main Resorts board - someone can probably answer in general whether you can exchange at the resorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed_wth_Triplets View Post
I agree...just wish I knew for sure! I called the GF and the person I spoke with said as of now she sees no information on upcoming construction on the courtyard pool...but who knows!
From past experience, it seems most of the resort CMs are not kept up on the schedule for renovations. Keep in mind, when you call the resort you are more likely talking with someone in a call center - but even if at the resort, we've had reports that CMs denied knowledge of renovations that were taking place that day in the resort.

The info given to baler31 a few weeks ago indicated the construction on the courtyard pool will begin after the work on the beach pool is finished. I think the plan is for late August, but it rarely goes according to plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed_wth_Triplets View Post
Oh no! I hope all the buildings don't have only one washer and dryer?! I plan on doing laundry this trip....trying to save money and bring one less suitcase. I imagine most of the guests of the GF don't do laundry
Each outer building has its own laundry room except Sugar Loaf. Most seem to have 2 washers, 2 dryers. I've done laundry at the GF many times and rarely been forced to wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally08 View Post
Didn't know if this has been mentioned and was wondering if anyone knew more info - I read on another board that the quick service place at GF would be closing for refurb towards the end of august through december. This obviously affects us....as eating will be pretty difficult if that's the only QS option!!
Welcome! We have heard this, too, but not sure if a timeline was given. Again, baler31 recently chatted with CMs and management, and they stated Gasparilla's would be renovated, but I don't know if that specific info was given. I think they said it would be expanded, and the possibility of the arcade being removed was mentioned.

This would have a huge impact on anyone, I imagine, except those in club level. CL guests would at least have the option of grabbing breakfast and snacks in the lounge. Hopefully, there will be a temporary solution offered.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-07-2012, 08:18 AM   #393
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

I just realized I never reported about my June trip for GF SL.

It was fantastic! GF is addicting and the CL was perfect! We had a marina view room and it was ready at 730 am on a Fri morning! CM said it was due to online check in and the email I sent letting them know I would be early.

Food offerings were good, I liked that at breakfast you had some meats and cheeses, at the Poly there are none. My fave turned out to be the salmon cream cheese spread, first I thought eww but tried it and it was fantastic on a toasted bagel!

Court yard pool had plenty of ppl but was never crowded, it was so nice to be able to hop on the monorail and go swimming after a morning at the parks. I will say it will be awhile before I go back in the summer tho, Im use to Sept when you can leave the parks and come back and ride the rides. That is almost impossible in the summer, the lines were ridiculous!

Anyway, we did some shopping in the mens store for my DH for fathers day got a great present at a suprisingly decent price! All the CM were amazing and the property is so beautiful I absolutely loved my first stay at GF!
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
Old 07-07-2012, 08:48 AM   #394
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

bluejasmine - Aww, so glad you had a magical stay at the Grand! Wonderful you were able to get in your room so early, I know they've been trying to assign rooms as people arrive so the wait is as little as possible.

The GF club level breakfast offerings are great, aren't they? We love having the meats and cheeses available, too, and the various spreads throughout the day are our favorites.

I'm always surprised at the deals we find in the GF shops, they often have sales.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Old 07-07-2012, 11:08 AM   #395
CoachBagFanatic
My two Shiba babies :-)

Location: Somewhere between here and there!! Just as long as there is a Coach store in the middle I am happy :) Love the Dropkick Murphys!!

Good Morning everyone and thank you so much for all the support and love. Where ever my friends journey brings him, I just hope it's a peaceful one as well.

k&a&c'smom I tried to get a picture for you of the entrance to the GF where Richard was greeting but there was just too many people. So sorry.

pas130You are right, no news is good news. I know how you feel. DS had to endure many tests many he was little and the waiting for results was so hard.

Sending lots of

Here are a couple of pictures of the construction and I will have DH upload some of his GF pictures to photobucket and will post those a bit later when he returns. His turned out better than mine.
These photos were taken on Wednesday 6/27 just when Debby was ending.

These were taken on Monday July 1st. These two photos appear to us to be the kiddie splash area that was mentioned sometime ago about the pool refurb. We could be wrong but it sure looks like that to us.

Last edited by CoachBagFanatic; 07-07-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:27 AM   #396
MommyGina
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the photos of what is going on at the GF. 10 more days and I will be there and report back at that time as to what is going on.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #397
CoachBagFanatic
My two Shiba babies :-)

Location: Somewhere between here and there!! Just as long as there is a Coach store in the middle I am happy :) Love the Dropkick Murphys!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyGina View Post
Thanks for all the photos of what is going on at the GF. 10 more days and I will be there and report back at that time as to what is going on.
My Pleasure. I hope you have a wonderful time. I do have to say that the noise was not noticeable once you left the feature pool. No construction going on during the weekends which was nice and quite for those who were staying there.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:58 PM   #398
Jungle Cruiser
DIS Veteran

Coachbagfanatic, I know I thought about it but I don't think I posted (chemo week for me) that I am so sorry to hear about your friend. I have known I am stage 4 for 5 years, so just don't give up all hope. Whatever journey he takes I hope it is easy for him.

Thank you to both Coachbagfanatic and Beckysko for the pictures. I am impressed at how quickly the construction seems to be moving along. It started out slowly but every set of pictures someone posts they seem farther along!

I know people visiting in the next couple of months are concerned about the construction, but I have to say I am pretty impressed that looking at the current pictures, that they have managed to keep the Beach Pool open the whole time!
Old 07-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #399
dragonfly57005
DIS Veteran

Those pics are great!
Old 07-07-2012, 03:39 PM   #400
cgulls
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the photos!
Old 07-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #401
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

pigletto - Sorry, I missed responding to your post! Welcome. How sweet about your DD's friend, I'm sure she will be in love with the GF.

Sounds like you got a great deal!

MommyGina - woohoo, only 10 more days.

CoachBagFanatic - thanks for the photos, they look great to me. I'm impressed with the construction near the beach, I didn't realize they were utilizing all that land for the beach pool expansion. I'm happier about the whole project now, I was worried about having the same two pools for the GF AND GFV. One of our favorite parts of the resort is the uncrowded pools.

Again, best wishes for your friend, I know how hard it is to deal with such a daunting diagnosis.

Jungle Cruiser - Good to see you, how are you feeling?

I agree, the work is progressing quicker than I expected from what we saw in May.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #402
michashell
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally08 View Post
I have the same concern as we will be there the last week of October. I have told myself that they couldn't possible closing it entirely. There would have to be some other QS option. Don't you think?
Old 07-07-2012, 05:05 PM   #403
michashell
Mouseketeer

How To Celebrate Son's 5th Bday at GF?

I am reaching out to the GF experts for some suggestions on how to celebrate my son's 5th birthday.

We will be staying at GF the last week of October. It will be me, my husband and sons (age 5 & almost 3). This will be their first trip to The World and we are so excited to stay at GF (despite some construction concerns).

The end of October is full of celebrations for us - husband's birthday, son's birthday and wedding anniversary. My primary concern is my son's birthday. While some would say, geez, you're going to Disney. What more does he need? I want to make sure that he feels like it's still HIS special day.

On his birthday, I have made a lunch ADR at CRT and a dinner ADR at The Wave. I've been trolling the Disney Cake Chatter Thread but am not really finding answers. Here are my questions:

1. I see that there is a "Princess Package" for CRT, but I can't seem to find out if there is a boys equivalent.

2. I was going to order balloons for the room from Disney Florist. Any other suggestions?

3. Should I order a cake and from where? I'm wondering if I should order a cake delivered to our room and have a little celebration there, as opposed to having something at one of the restaurants. We are going to be on the Deluxe Dining Plan. Needless to say, it's going to be dessert overload that day.

Since this is our first time with kids and first time at GF, I don't want to feel I missed an obvious way to celebrate. We chose GF because of the entire feel of the resort as well as the proximity to MK. Also, we like the little extras of a Deluxe Resort and enjoy spending time their - I'm sure I don't need to explain this to you all!

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!!
Old 07-07-2012, 06:31 PM   #404
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

michashell - Welcome! How fun that you will have so many celebrations while at the World, very festive.

I don't know anything about the celebration packages, but I'm sure there are boy themes. I know Disney Florist has boy theming - Mickey, pirates, etc.

If you order a cake, I would order from the GF bakery, they do such wonderful cakes that many posters staying at other resorts have tried to find a way to get one! (they only deliver within the resort - guest room or GF restaurant) If you want it in a CR restaurant, you will have to go through the CR bakery dept. The number should be on the first page of the cake thread.

If you would rather do something smaller (due to so much dessert) most of the WDW restaurants will do a smaller cake. At the GF restaurants, you can get a personal 6-inch cake with a cute topper - white chocolate, various shapes (castle, Disney character). I'd check into what is available at one of the restaurants you have booked for the day to see what kind of personal cake you can order, the custom cakes are so big it's hard to justify the expense when you will likely leave most behind. Tough to keep in the room, they won't fit in the fridge (I've tried, lol). Edited to Add: If it were me, I'd notify the restaurants of the birthday, they usually do a cupcake for the kids, I think. Use the cake money for an activity instead - they've gotten so expensive, and with the DxDP, you will have too much dessert.

For ideas for special activities - you can book a fireworks cruise. We have done this a couple of times, and it is fun and exciting for kids. They will even do a birthday celebration package - you may be able to have the cake on board, depending on the boat. We participated in a celebration on the Grand 1 (very expensive, yikes! I don't recommend it these days, the price has gone out of sight) and were able to have a cake and drinks on board.

You could book the kids on the Pirate Cruise for that day, and let the CMs know it is your son't big day. Not sure what they would do, but I imagine the CMs would at least make it special by announcing the birthday boy. Edited to Add: oops! Just realized the littlest one is too young for the pirate cruise - the age requirement is 4-12, sorry.

HTH! I'm sure others here have some great ideas!

Last edited by k&a&c'smom; 07-07-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:09 PM   #405
bethclayton
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by michashell View Post
I am reaching out to the GF experts for some suggestions on how to celebrate my son's 5th birthday.

We will be staying at GF the last week of October. It will be me, my husband and sons (age 5 & almost 3). This will be their first trip to The World and we are so excited to stay at GF (despite some construction concerns).

The end of October is full of celebrations for us - husband's birthday, son's birthday and wedding anniversary. My primary concern is my son's birthday. While some would say, geez, you're going to Disney. What more does he need? I want to make sure that he feels like it's still HIS special day.

On his birthday, I have made a lunch ADR at CRT and a dinner ADR at The Wave. I've been trolling the Disney Cake Chatter Thread but am not really finding answers. Here are my questions:

1. I see that there is a "Princess Package" for CRT, but I can't seem to find out if there is a boys equivalent.

2. I was going to order balloons for the room from Disney Florist. Any other suggestions?

3. Should I order a cake and from where? I'm wondering if I should order a cake delivered to our room and have a little celebration there, as opposed to having something at one of the restaurants. We are going to be on the Deluxe Dining Plan. Needless to say, it's going to be dessert overload that day.

Since this is our first time with kids and first time at GF, I don't want to feel I missed an obvious way to celebrate. We chose GF because of the entire feel of the resort as well as the proximity to MK. Also, we like the little extras of a Deluxe Resort and enjoy spending time their - I'm sure I don't need to explain this to you all!

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!!
we celebrated my ds's birthday there when he turned 9.

would your ds enjoy the pirate's league? http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/tou...irates-league/ we did this with ds a few years ago and it was really cute and well worth the $$. it was more about the whole experience than the actual makeup.

would your ds be more into maybe a character dinner instead of the wave?

i had a shirt custom made for him off of etsy that had his favorite character (pluto) holding birthday balloons with his name and "it's my birthday" on it.

it sounds simple but we let him get one of those expensive mickey balloons on main street. he loved that thing and as a bonus you can uninflate it and bring it home, then reinflate it again at a florist.

maybe you can let him pick which park to go to that day or what the first three rides will be, or something like that.

enjoy your vacation!

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: