Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 11:09 AM   #3661
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missus Toad View Post
Hi all-- I know this is a frequently asked question these days, but am hoping someone might have an update on the fridge status. Anyone? TIA. Psyched for my first GF stay since '93!
Sorry, almost missed this, Missus Toad! I'm psyched for you, can't wait to hear what you think after so many years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome Home View Post
Beautiful photo. We have lagoon view booked. If we get Big Pine should we be able to see the monorail? Youngest DS will just be turning 2 and I know he will be fascinated by it.
Yes, you will be able to see the monorail if you end up in BPK, in Boca it is quite a bit further away. Still see it, but not as close. In BPK, you'll see it over by the TTC and Poly, then again as it approaches the Main Building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJ Henry View Post
We will be staying at GF in November for the first time. We have a garden view room. Which building would you say is closest to the main building? My DH has back problems and walking in the parks is going to take it's toll on him so we were looking to have a room that hopefully is close to the main building and also have a nice view etc. if possible.
As Mickeynut said, you can see the corner of the Main building in my photo - the turret that is in line with the pink flowering tree is the corner of the Main Bldg. housing the GF Cafe & Citricos.

BPK is the closest building to the back entry of the Main Bldg. and closest to the Beach Pool. The only drawback is the possibility of getting one of the infamous pool building views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
What a beautiful pic.....it reminds me of our December 2010 trip as we were in BPK on that trip. Makes me wish I was at the Grand right now .

We thought Big Pine Key was close/convenient to the main building. If you look at k&a&c'smom's pic above (taken from BPK), the building to the upper left of the pool is sugarloaf and the main building is just to the left of that .
All of my photos are making me long for the Grand. I'm trying to get the new FAQ ready and I've been looking over so many photos.~sigh~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babsy View Post
We have a choice of a lagoon view standard room or a garden view deluxe room? I know the difference in the views, but what is the difference in the deluxe and standard rooms at the GF? Are the deluxe rooms throughout the resort or in specific buildings? Are they larger? Do they have 2 queens or King beds? Sitting area?

Thank you for the help.
The deluxe garden view rooms are in all the outer buildings, they are located in the turrets which give them a nice sitting area with sofa, TV, etc. They do not have a daybed, but you can request a rollaway free of charge. For an example of the deluxe garden view rooms, check out this link from the 2010 FAQ. Photos posted by Little Lulu, scroll down to post #25, 26 & 27. Keep in mind, these are from before the 2007 renovations (decor change) and in SL, where two of the deluxe have balconies (I think the deluxe rooms in the other outer buildings do not).

Lagoon view rooms are the same size and shape as all the standard rooms of any category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guatemommy View Post
We will be there in early November - are they still doing the campfire these days?
The campfire has been discontinued due to the DVC construction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davale4 View Post
We just returned last night and in RPC we had a working fridge.
Thanks for the update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethclayton View Post
missus toad, we live about 30 mins from bucks county and will be at the GF in 8 days (first stop, 5 nights BC). maybe we will be there the same time as you!

<disclaimer, my ticker is off by a day because we changed our ressie but i didn't want to change my ticker, i liked how much progress it was making, lol).>
YAY, 8 days!! LOL about the ticker, I don't blame you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJ Henry View Post
can anyone tell me what stop GF is on ME? does it change each time or is it usually the same? We are getting in at 6:30 pm and wondering about how long it is going to take us to get to the resort.
In my experience, it is always the LAST stop, no matter which resorts are on the route. We have had 3-5 stops on ME.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser

Last edited by k&a&c'smom; 08-14-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #3662
BlueSkies
DIS Veteran

Good afternoon fellow GF fans!

Just back from a very lovely trip to the world...

Construction on the VGF is stil going on ..and seems to be louder this trip than I recall from our last trip in the spring?? The new building with the siding and roof blends in very nicely...nicer than I thought it would...it also looks bigger than I thought..but still doesn't look obtrusive...

MommyGina I did not forget to ask about the room refurb..no one seems to know for sure... But..the general consensus from the CM's that I spoke to was that it would be starting in January... I also asked about the lack of availability in RPC in July... and no one had the answer to that...including CMs in RPC...lol...

We do not usually go to WDW in the summer time...and now I remember why...it was crowded.. and super hot...but we still managed to see what we wanted to ..and have a great time...as I have said I really do follow Josh from EasyWDWs recommendations...and that worked out very well...

There was construction going on over by the Summer House building (I think that's what its called?? LOL..) It was the outdoor bar area before they opened the beach pool...

The courtyard pool was also crowded...and although the look is growing on me.. sort of...it still does not hold a candle to the grandeur of the old courtyard pool....

The beach pool seemed to be less crowded than the courtyard pool... and the waterfall was back on but as others have said..is trickling!

Our room had a refridgerator in it and it was working...

Forgot to check on the movies...and campfire?? Oops!

Bounce back info..There is the same BB in the room that there was when we were there earlier in the year...goes thru mid December...But I did call and ask if there was anything available for 2014..and there is! But..its only for a few weeks end of August to mid Septmber...and its for free dining??? I forgot the exact dates..Sorry...

And I did manage to add dates to our December trip by adding a few nites at the YC..our first split stay! Something I have been wanting to try...We shall see how it goes...

If anyone has any questions I would be happy to answer what ever I can...

All and all it was a Grand vacation...after a day in a crowded hot park returning to the GF was the perfect way to end the day..or for a little afternoon respite...and I cant wait to go back....

Last edited by BlueSkies; 08-14-2013 at 01:10 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-14-2013, 05:22 PM   #3663
MommyGina
DIS Veteran

BlueSkies thank you for asking about RPC. Something strange is happening because all rooms in SL for May are now booked.

When we were there in July, there was a campfire and movie near the waterfall pool. There is a new fire pit over that way.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:17 PM   #3664
imobsessedwithdisney
Mouseketeer

Hi I'm so excited I just changed our 9/18-9/28 BC CL stay to a split stay with GF RPC 9/18-9/22 & then BC CL 9/22-9/28. I'm excited and nervous at the same time bc we've only stayed at BC, which we absolutely love! I know nothing about the GF so I'm looking forward to reading and learning from this thread. Has anyone else here stayed at both BC & GF CLs? How do they compare to each other & which do you prefer and why? Thanks!!!
Old 08-14-2013, 10:09 PM   #3665
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post

Construction on the VGF is stil going on ..and seems to be louder this trip than I recall from our last trip in the spring?? The new building with the siding and roof blends in very nicely...nicer than I thought it would...it also looks bigger than I thought..but still doesn't look obtrusive...

MommyGina I did not forget to ask about the room refurb..no one seems to know for sure... But..the general consensus from the CM's that I spoke to was that it would be starting in January... I also asked about the lack of availability in RPC in July... and no one had the answer to that...including CMs in RPC...lol...

We do not usually go to WDW in the summer time...and now I remember why...it was crowded.. and super hot...but we still managed to see what we wanted to ..and have a great time...as I have said I really do follow Josh from EasyWDWs recommendations...and that worked out very well...

There was construction going on over by the Summer House building (I think that's what its called?? LOL..) It was the outdoor bar area before they opened the beach pool...

The courtyard pool was also crowded...and although the look is growing on me.. sort of...it still does not hold a candle to the grandeur of the old courtyard pool....

The beach pool seemed to be less crowded than the courtyard pool... and the waterfall was back on but as others have said..is trickling!

Our room had a refridgerator in it and it was working...

Forgot to check on the movies...and campfire?? Oops!

Bounce back info..There is the same BB in the room that there was when we were there earlier in the year...goes thru mid December...But I did call and ask if there was anything available for 2014..and there is! But..its only for a few weeks end of August to mid Septmber...and its for free dining??? I forgot the exact dates..Sorry...

And I did manage to add dates to our December trip by adding a few nites at the YC..our first split stay! Something I have been wanting to try...We shall see how it goes...

If anyone has any questions I would be happy to answer what ever I can...

All and all it was a Grand vacation...after a day in a crowded hot park returning to the GF was the perfect way to end the day..or for a little afternoon respite...and I cant wait to go back....
No BB for Late January, early Feb 2014?
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Old 08-14-2013, 10:29 PM   #3666
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
All of my photos are making me long for the Grand. I'm trying to get the new FAQ ready and I've been looking over so many photos.~sigh~
The GF will do that to you . Thanks for keeping up this thread.....you do a great job .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post

Welcome back.....glad you had a good trip .

Quote:
Originally Posted by imobsessedwithdisney View Post
Hi I'm so excited I just changed our 9/18-9/28 BC CL stay to a split stay with GF RPC 9/18-9/22 & then BC CL 9/22-9/28. I'm excited and nervous at the same time bc we've only stayed at BC, which we absolutely love! I know nothing about the GF so I'm looking forward to reading and learning from this thread. Has anyone else here stayed at both BC & GF CLs? How do they compare to each other & which do you prefer and why? Thanks!!!
I can't help with BC CL, but I love GF RPC. However, we have stayed at the BC and while we did like the resort, I prefer the GF (and RPC is hard to beat, IMO ). With that said, I think you will really enjoy RPC.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Old 08-14-2013, 10:48 PM   #3667
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
Sue M - we do dining much like your family.

Hope your trip is going well so far!

Mommy Gina - we looked into and decided against DVC years ago. Just doesn't mesh with the way we vacation, unfortunately.

You'll still hear "Welcome Home"! All the DVC resorts say it to all guests at the gate, in my experience.
Yes, thanks! Our hotel is half a block from the beach. And the weather had been great. Blue skies! No rain! We go visit my mom in her assisted living then do a little shopping ( of which I'm now cutting myself off, till Disney of course!) then head back to spend the afternoon at the beach.
Can't believe we leave Saturday for wdw! What do vacays fly by? I want them to go slooow
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Old 08-14-2013, 10:58 PM   #3668
trishadono
DIS Veteran

Hi all! Here's a couple of pics of VGF construction 8/14/13!

CBR,DL1996CBR1997ASmo1999ASmo2000CBR 2002POP AKL 2004 POP GF 2005WLCabin OKW 2006POP Poly POFQ Asmo2007 POP ASMo CSR POP CSR2008 POP WL Poly CSR2009CSR CR BLT Poly YC2010 POR CR-cl BLT2011 CSR POFQ CBR GF-cl POP BLT2012 CSR-bc Poly-CL CR, Poly-CL CBR GF-RPC 2013GF-CL VGF CR-Atrium Club MKV,CR Hospitality Suite Poly CL 2014 Cr Atrium Club and GF RPC , poly CL , WLcl 19 17
Old 08-14-2013, 11:01 PM   #3669
trishadono
DIS Veteran

CBR,DL1996CBR1997ASmo1999ASmo2000CBR 2002POP AKL 2004 POP GF 2005WLCabin OKW 2006POP Poly POFQ Asmo2007 POP ASMo CSR POP CSR2008 POP WL Poly CSR2009CSR CR BLT Poly YC2010 POR CR-cl BLT2011 CSR POFQ CBR GF-cl POP BLT2012 CSR-bc Poly-CL CR, Poly-CL CBR GF-RPC 2013GF-CL VGF CR-Atrium Club MKV,CR Hospitality Suite Poly CL 2014 Cr Atrium Club and GF RPC , poly CL , WLcl 19 17
Old 08-14-2013, 11:03 PM   #3670
trishadono
DIS Veteran

Old 08-14-2013, 11:45 PM   #3671
bethclayton
DIS Veteran

trishadono, thank you for the wonderful pics!

we arrive this saturday. our last visit was april 2012 and the construction was a nightmare. i had assumed it would be over by now. i will admit, your pics, with the blue walls, stress me out! we will be staying in the main building. can you tell me how much construction is visible from the beach pool/ main building/ courtyard pool?

Old 08-14-2013, 11:58 PM   #3672
davale4
Love love watching my kids have fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by imobsessedwithdisney View Post
We have stayed in both and we prefer GF RPC. We love that it is an open space and soooo much bigger that BC CL. I find the food offering much better as well. For breakfast they offer ham, turkey, swiss cheese, cheddar and provolone besides everything else. Also the night offerings seemed better.

At the BC CL they close the doors in between offerings and you can't go sit and relax. At RPC you can go at any time and enjoy the music and the atmosphere. This is important to us because we spend a good amount of time at the resort. The kids enjoy RPC more than the parks. The staff at the lounge is WONDERFUL!!!

We have stayed on the 3rd, 4th and 5th floor and we prefer the 5th floor. It is so quiet and there is hardly any traffic. It is really nice if you have little ones. I could go on and on. This is just my experience and I know that everyone is different. That is why Disney is so great, it has something for everyone. Hope enjoy your stay!!!

DH DW DD DS
Old 08-15-2013, 07:45 AM   #3673
trishadono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
trishadono, thank you for the wonderful pics!

we arrive this saturday. our last visit was april 2012 and the construction was a nightmare. i had assumed it would be over by now. i will admit, your pics, with the blue walls, stress me out! we will be staying in the main building. can you tell me how much construction is visible from the beach pool/ main building/ courtyard pool?
I have been fortunate to watch the construction process. By far right now is very minimal compared to other trips. I was down here in April and May this year and march, may and November last year.

I really don't think it is a problem now. All the pools and restaurants open. Beach access again too. Later I will post a pic I have I took from main building towards the construction.

However I have an engagement with dd and friend to hit HS and ride her (friend) first RR!!!

Old 08-15-2013, 08:03 AM   #3674
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
Yes, thanks! Our hotel is half a block from the beach. And the weather had been great. Blue skies! No rain! We go visit my mom in her assisted living then do a little shopping ( of which I'm now cutting myself off, till Disney of course!) then head back to spend the afternoon at the beach.
Can't believe we leave Saturday for wdw! What do vacays fly by? I want them to go slooow
Sounds like you're having a great trip so far. You will be in Disney before you know it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishadono View Post
Hi all! Here's a couple of pics of VGF construction 8/14/13!
The pics are great.....thanks for sharing .

Quote:
we arrive this saturday.
I hope you have a great trip .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Old 08-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #3675
imobsessedwithdisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davale4 View Post

We have stayed in both and we prefer GF RPC. We love that it is an open space and soooo much bigger that BC CL. I find the food offering much better as well. For breakfast they offer ham, turkey, swiss cheese, cheddar and provolone besides everything else. Also the night offerings seemed better.

At the BC CL they close the doors in between offerings and you can't go sit and relax. At RPC you can go at any time and enjoy the music and the atmosphere. This is important to us because we spend a good amount of time at the resort. The kids enjoy RPC more than the parks. The staff at the lounge is WONDERFUL!!!

We have stayed on the 3rd, 4th and 5th floor and we prefer the 5th floor. It is so quiet and there is hardly any traffic. It is really nice if you have little ones. I could go on and on. This is just my experience and I know that everyone is different. That is why Disney is so great, it has something for everyone. Hope enjoy your stay!!!
Thanks so much for the info! I'm sure that my dd5 & 2 are going to love it!! We had a tough couple months in the beginning of the year health wise and I really want to see them have the best time! I'm hoping that this wont be an issue at at during our stay but DD2 has arthritis. Thank god it's under control right now. But just curious if you get a room not on the 4th floor can it be a long walk from your room to the lounge? Sorry just 2 more questions: can you see Wishes from the Lounge & what is considered a standard room view?
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: