Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 07:44 AM   #3631
trishadono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyGina View Post
After a lot of consideration, we decided not to purchase the DVC at the Grand. There were too many cons vs. pros. I actually feel much better about this. So we will be back at the hotel next year, not the villas and that's fine for us.
I don't want to purchase either however I did book a stay there because the 2 bedroom villa costs a lot less than a 2ndrm suite. We don't need club level privileges, just space with teens.

Downside, VGF won't be bookable with any discounts for a while.

A mom and me connection before year 2 of college. I sure will miss her

CBR,DL1996CBR1997ASmo1999ASmo2000CBR 2002POP AKL 2004 POP GF 2005WLCabin OKW 2006POP Poly POFQ Asmo2007 POP ASMo CSR POP CSR2008 POP WL Poly CSR2009CSR CR BLT Poly YC2010 POR CR-cl BLT2011 CSR POFQ CBR GF-cl POP BLT2012 CSR-bc Poly-CL CR, Poly-CL CBR GF-RPC 2013GF-CL VGF CR-Atrium Club MKV,CR Hospitality Suite Poly CL 2014 POP, GF 19 17
Old 08-11-2013, 10:11 AM   #3632
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
After a lot of consideration, we decided not to purchase the DVC at the Grand. There were too many cons vs. pros. I actually feel much better about this. So we will be back at the hotel next year, not the villas and that's fine for us.
We have looked into DVC a few times and every time when I thought we were ready to purchase, something just didn't feel right. It took us awhile, but we finally came to the conclusion that DVC isn't for us. We are a family of 4 and really don't need the extra space and I don't cook or do laundry on vacation, so it really wouldn't benefit us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishadono View Post
Downside, VGF won't be bookable with any discounts for a while.
I agree. I looked into a 1 BDRM for 2 nights in December and while rack rate was comparable to CR CL where we were considering staying, I knew VGF wouldn't be discounted, so we're sticking with the CR for something different. I'm hoping to some day stay in a GF villa as they look beautiful.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #3633
jcjen519
DIS Veteran

Quote:
i get it. we are members but its not really for us either. we hardly ever use the points at Disney anymore. we enjoy some of the owner perks but that is about it. we are comfortable with how we use them...banking sometimes and then doing a bigger visit to vero with friends and/or family. i don't see us buying anymore.

2015March- 6 days AKV-CL spring break 2014: December: YC CL, 12/12 dream concierge, 10 days AKV-CL July: 4 days boardwalk villas/Boardwalk Inn club level June -1 day OKW, 8 days GF RPC May - 4 days GF RPC march-April - 10 days Poly cl/ 2013: Bay Lake Tower TPV, fantasy concierge, bc cl, poly cl (2x), gf sl, vero beach resort 2012 - Vero beach resort, OKW, Poly cl (too many to count before that)
Husband, myself and 4 year old son
Old 08-12-2013, 06:59 AM   #3634
MommyGina
DIS Veteran

Bottom line is that we will be back to the GF in July. I will truly be on vacation and won't have to worry about enough towels, facial tissue, soap, beds made, etc. Thanks to all who listened! I won't hear "Welcome Home." Maybe I'll hear "Welcome to Vacation!"
Old 08-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #3635
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Sue M - we do dining much like your family.

Hope your trip is going well so far!

Mommy Gina - we looked into and decided against DVC years ago. Just doesn't mesh with the way we vacation, unfortunately.

You'll still hear "Welcome Home"! All the DVC resorts say it to all guests at the gate, in my experience.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 08-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #3636
jojomickey
Mouseketeer

We did decide to purchase now that our children are adults.,One recently got married and two rooms just isn't enough room for us.We will enjoy the extra space even though I don't cook or do wash on vacation, it is nice to know that if I have grandchildren some day it will be there for the grandchildren if needed I'm not worried about the soap or towels I will just pay for daily housekeeping.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:44 AM   #3637
jillmc40
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Bottom line is that we will be back to the GF in July. I will truly be on vacation and won't have to worry about enough towels, facial tissue, soap, beds made, etc. Thanks to all who listened! I won't hear "Welcome Home." Maybe I'll hear "Welcome to Vacation!"
Timeshares are not for everyone, so it is GREAT that you realized that before pulling the trigger...Otherwise you would feel trapped and mad about it! It's not worth it to save a little money if you are not enjoying yourself! Besides, you could always rent the points to stay there if you want to try it out and not pay a crazy amount. Have fun in July...I am so jealous! I am really missing Disney these days...So are the kiddos

Old 08-12-2013, 03:43 PM   #3638
Welcome Home
Note to self: Disney magic is a given but everyday joy is a choice.

What is your favorite non CL building and why?
Old 08-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #3639
Hedobaby
Earning My Ears

Location: I live in Devon England But I am a Floridian who grew up addicted Disney

I know I keep asking but no one is answering lol.

Can anyone suggest a good room to pick in Boca Chica? We want to try to ask but don't know which one to request. I have looked everywhere for the room number we had last trip but can not find it. We are not magic kingdom view but lagoon view so hope to get a glimpse view of MK for the fireworks.

Can anyone give any advice pretty please?
Old 08-12-2013, 04:47 PM   #3640
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
Sue M - we do dining much like your family.

Hope your trip is going well so far!

Mommy Gina - we looked into and decided against DVC years ago. Just doesn't mesh with the way we vacation, unfortunately.

You'll still hear "Welcome Home"! All the DVC resorts say it to all guests at the gate, in my experience.
I've been told "welcome home" at the value resorts. I don't own DVC but have been greeted that way many times.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Old 08-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #3641
red712371
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome Home View Post
I like Sago Cay. It was very quiet. We were right next to the elevator - which I initially dreaded, but it was very very peaceful. We were on the marina side and I liked the view. Very pretty. Convenient to the main building, boat launch and buses.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #3642
red712371
Mouseketeer

Are the in room fridges in Sugar Loaf stocked or can I asked for them to be stocked?

Do they offer wine in the Sugar Loaf club level in the evenings?

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #3643
phyllis1966
DIS addict who eats vicariously through others on the Restaurant Board
It makes me feel old when a young whippersnapper calls me "ma'am"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedobaby View Post

Can anyone suggest a good room to pick in Boca Chica? We want to try to ask but don't know which one to request. I have looked everywhere for the room number we had last trip but can not find it. We are not magic kingdom view but lagoon view so hope to get a glimpse view of MK for the fireworks.

I wish I could help, but I've never stayed in Boca Chica...I'm sure someone who's knowledgable will see your question soon!

May 2006::December 2006 - surprise 40th Birthday family trip!!!
November 2007::November 2009::November 2010
November 2011 - GF surprised us with upgrade to RPC-TPV!::October 2012 - GF surprised us again - upgraded to Sugarloaf for 20th Anniversary!::July 2014 - Aulani!

Our little family: DH and me ~ DD15 ~ Gracie
Old 08-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #3644
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The only non CL building we've stayed in is Big Pine Key and I loved it as we had a nice view of the courtyard pool .

Quote:

I can't help with suggestions as we've never stayed in Boca Chica, but hopefully someone will be able to give you some room suggestions .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Old 08-12-2013, 05:41 PM   #3645
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My favorite, non-CL building is Conch Key. We love the location, it is close to the courtyard pool, boat dock, Narcoossee's and a short walk out the back door to the marina and Gasparilla's.

Boca Chica is a close second, we love the garden view rooms for their lovely views of the courtyard pool and main building.

Quote:

Sorry you have to ask again! I don't remember our room number from our last lagoon view, so I'm no help. If I were you, I would make a general request (2nd floor or above, non-dormer, non-connecting room, etc.) rather than a room number - if that room is not available, the assigner has no idea why you liked that particular room.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Disney Mom View Post
I've been told "welcome home" at the value resorts. I don't own DVC but have been greeted that way many times.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Interesting! We have been told Welcome Home at AKL, WL, Y&BC and BWI, but had not heard it at the Grand until our latest visit. I assumed it was due to the official announcement of DVC at the GF.

Sounds like maybe they are saying it everywhere now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red712371 View Post
I like Sago Cay. It was very quiet. We were right next to the elevator - which I initially dreaded, but it was very very peaceful. We were on the marina side and I liked the view. Very pretty. Convenient to the main building, boat launch and buses.
We liked our one stay in Sago, but found it a bit removed from the pools. Did you really think it was close to the main bldg. & boat dock? Seems a bit of a walk to me, but then, we are usually in the courtyard area. It is nice to take the back walkway to the bus stop, though, and it is very close to Gasparilla Grill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red712371 View Post
Are the in room fridges in Sugar Loaf stocked or can I asked for them to be stocked?

Do they offer wine in the Sugar Loaf club level in the evenings?

Thanks!
They are not stocked. During the 2007 room renovations, all the mini bars were replaced with empty fridges. I think you can still get CL to stock the fridge, but it comes with a hefty price if it's still possible. I would just grab the sodas and snacks you like in the lounge and bring them back to the room, we usually ask for a bottle of water for the room, grab a large bag of our favorite pretzels in Sandy Cove and keep a couple sodas from the lounge.

There is so much food out during the day, we rarely have time to eat what's in our room, anyway!

The SL food service is identical to RPC, btw. Yes, there is beer and wine (and champagne!) in the lounge from 5-7 pm, then liqueurs from 8-10 pm. You an ask for a beer or glass of wine any time, though, the CMs will get it for you.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: