Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 11:17 PM   #3526
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap View Post
I am considering a stay at the grand floridian for our next trip and after reading this thread it looks great!! The zero entry pool and splash area look great for our kids.

My concern is if it is kid friendly enough?! We have three girls all under 7 and they loved the poly but we want to try something new this time.

Can anyone offer me advice??

thanks
The GF is amazing and is definitely just as kid friendly as any other resort . I love the Poly, but I also love the GF for different reasons.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Old 07-28-2013, 11:25 PM   #3527
swimfly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap
I am considering a stay at the grand floridian for our next trip and after reading this thread it looks great!! The zero entry pool and splash area look great for our kids.

My concern is if it is kid friendly enough?! We have three girls all under 7 and they loved the poly but we want to try something new this time.

Can anyone offer me advice??

thanks
We were there for the 4th and had similar concerns but our daughter is 18 mths. I thought the resort was "stuffy" before we stayed and I was completely wrong. The GF takes service to a whole new level (compared to BC, YC, BWI & Poly) but maintains the Disney connection. I never felt like my DD was out-of-place or any part of the resort was not child-friendly. We're woeking our way through every Disney resort (only 4 to go) but GF is by far my favorite! I cannot wait to take DD back!

ETA: the pools are fabulous. We had a tough time getting our DD out of the water. We actually extended our trip 2 nights.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-28-2013, 11:26 PM   #3528
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink rules View Post
Big changes reported about the Poly DVC...very scaled back as of now... still going with 1 building (Tahiti) as DVC and possibly the over the water bungalows... also they are possibly taking the volcano out at the pool...

Stay tuned...
Glad they are scaling back, and hope they don't go with the water bungalows. But I'd rather they left Tahiti alone, and put it down on the other end toward GF. Or past Tahiti.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Old 07-28-2013, 11:29 PM   #3529
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the advice on views. I changed my request to Boca Chica! I guess it will just require another stay so I can check out the marina view too!!
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Old 07-28-2013, 11:41 PM   #3530
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
Thanks for all the advice on views. I changed my request to Boca Chica! I guess it will just require another stay so I can check out the marina view too!!
I like your way of thinking .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Old 07-29-2013, 06:28 AM   #3531
princessap
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimfly View Post
We were there for the 4th and had similar concerns but our daughter is 18 mths. I thought the resort was "stuffy" before we stayed and I was completely wrong. The GF takes service to a whole new level (compared to BC, YC, BWI & Poly) but maintains the Disney connection. I never felt like my DD was out-of-place or any part of the resort was not child-friendly. We're woeking our way through every Disney resort (only 4 to go) but GF is by far my favorite! I cannot wait to take DD back!

ETA: the pools are fabulous. We had a tough time getting our DD out of the water. We actually extended our trip 2 nights.
Thanks. Our youngest will be two so i think she will like the splash pad and I like the zero entry pool for her. My DH thinks it looks great but is worried about the kids there.
they loved being able to see the castle from the pool at the poly and watching wishes from the beach. are there places to do either of those at the GF??

I am not a fan of the rooms at the GF from pictures but the villas look amazing!!! hoping to get one of those!!
Old 07-29-2013, 06:30 AM   #3532
princessap
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
The GF is amazing and is definitely just as kid friendly as any other resort . I love the Poly, but I also love the GF for different reasons.
thanks Mickeynut!! who knew picking a resort would be sooo hard. lol.

We have ruled out the poly till all the construction is done so it is looking like GFV or CR GW. but if the discounts arent that great for the cR we might just do a week in a one bedroom villa! Can you add dining plan on if renting points??
Old 07-29-2013, 09:56 AM   #3533
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap View Post
thanks Mickeynut!! who knew picking a resort would be sooo hard. lol.

We have ruled out the poly till all the construction is done so it is looking like GFV or CR GW. but if the discounts arent that great for the cR we might just do a week in a one bedroom villa! Can you add dining plan on if renting points??
You're welcome . It's nice that there are so many choices when it comes to Disney resorts, but it also makes it hard because there are so many great choices. Since you ruled out the Poly, I would try the GF. It really is a beautiful resort and I'm sure your girls would love the splash pad.

Yes, you can add the DDP when renting points, you just have to tell the renter which plan you want as they have to add it to the reservation. I think the DDP has to be paid for at the time it's added, but I'm not 100% sure. Hopefully someone who is familiar with that will be able to confirm it or give the correct information .

Old 07-29-2013, 11:54 AM   #3534
cgulls
Mouseketeer

Question: the Boca Chica rooms that face the water (as opposed to those that face the Courtyard Pool), are those categorized as Lagoon View or Theme Park View?

Thank you.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:39 PM   #3535
MrsJ Henry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimfly View Post

I have a question since you have stayed at the YC...... YC has been our favorite so far and I'm wondering how the GF is going to compare for us.... in what way do you feel GF takes service to a whole new level compared to YC?
We are very excited to stay at the GF but also hoping we made a good choice.
Off Site- in '93-'94-'95
Disney Villas-'83-'84, Hotel Plaza 1979

Old 07-30-2013, 12:43 PM   #3536
pas130
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJ Henry View Post
I have a question since you have stayed at the YC...... YC has been our favorite so far and I'm wondering how the GF is going to compare for us.... in what way do you feel GF takes service to a whole new level compared to YC?
I have also stayed at both, and while YC service was wonderful, the GF goes above and beyond...I need to add the CL staff at WL is a close second to GF IMHO
Old 07-30-2013, 12:44 PM   #3537
pas130
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
You are close to your trip my friend!
Old 07-30-2013, 12:51 PM   #3538
pas130
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyGina View Post
Back from the GF. The fence around the CY pool was fine. It blended in nicely. I liked the new flatbreads at Gasparilla's. It is always beautiful at the GF. Concierge was outstanding as usual. However, my son got the influenza A flu while there. Emts were called, security was called, manager was called all because DH asked for a doctor. GF provided a car to the walk in. When DS and DH got back, DS wanted 6 Mickey waffles. In room service would not do it. They would only make two. Oh well, settled on a roll from Gasparilla's. because it was 7 pm.
Sorry to hear your son was sick, hope he is feeling much much better

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
I know!! This is why I'm starting now, before I end up scrambling at the last minute.

I'm counting on everyone to help me with all the VGF info, I am totally clueless when it comes to DVC.
Glad I didn't miss the new thread! We will be home tomorrow, did Universal, but paid a quick visit to the monorail. And a prayer at Gf for our junglecruiser.

Although I didn't feel all lovey dovey for the Villas, the CM talked me into booking for next June...a 2BR, only me...
Old 07-30-2013, 01:28 PM   #3539
cgulls
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJ Henry View Post
I've stayed at both. I didn't find the service to be any different. Waitstaff, desk, bell services, room service, mousekeeping, concierge (in the lobby; we didn't stay at Club level in either), lifeguards . . . all similarly very good service and added to the atmosphere.

We only explored the interior of our own building (Boca) and I can say the hallways are in better condition and "newer"-feeling than Yacht Club's.

GF has more interesting grounds to explore and has great access to MK.
YC has a more interesting pool for younger kids and great access to EP and HS.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:35 PM   #3540
LiveToTravelNicely
Strolling the Boardwalk: January 2014!

Room Refurb

Does anyone know when the next room refurb at the GF will be? From the pictures, it looks like the current rooms go back to 2007 or 2008. Thanks!

2014: EP Area- BWI-CL Standard
2012: AK Area- CSR-Casita #1
2011: MK Area- Poly-Garden View-Tokelau

Last edited by LiveToTravelNicely; 07-30-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: