Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 10:20 AM   #3256
Mike&AllisMom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by appledown View Post
Thanks for all if the great ideas! 24 hours from now we'll be at the GF!

I just realized I never made a building request. I'm checking in online tonight. I know it's late, but which building would you choose for a standard garden view? I'm leaning Big Pine Key, but would love to hear opinions.
Hope you have a great time & get lots of pixie dust

Wilderness Lodge May 2009
CSR, Grand Floridian May 2011

Wilderness Lodge October 2013
Caribbean Beach Resort December 2014
Old 06-23-2013, 10:22 AM   #3257
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post
Good morning MickeyNut! We were posting at the same time...
Hi Blue .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
32 days to go until we ar at in Sugarloaf !!!!
You'll be there before you know it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarner View Post
I think we'll keep the 9 nights garden view. I'm almost embarrassed to call guest services again. Between the resort changes I've made and the various room requests, I know they must think I'm crazy!!
I think you made a good choice . I know what you mean about calling so much....LOL. For our December 2010 trip, I went back and forth SO MANY times I told my DH and kids that Disney will eventually block my number because they're going to get tired of dealing with the crazy lady calling every other day to make a change .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #3258
Mike&AllisMom
Mouseketeer

I wanted to share this news with people that I know will appreciate it much more than my non Disney friends We are celebrating our 13th wedding anniversary & my sons 12th birthday at Disney this October and as a surprise I called last night & upgraded our room to Sugarloaf CL - this is our first time staying CL

Wilderness Lodge May 2009
CSR, Grand Floridian May 2011

Wilderness Lodge October 2013
Caribbean Beach Resort December 2014
Old 06-23-2013, 11:06 AM   #3259
Syndrome
Who's super now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
I'm agonizing over pool view vs marina view just can't decide.
Now you guys have me thinking about adding a request. We are staying in SL, and the only request we made was a balcony. I am thinking of adding marina view request now. I know the coutyard can get pretty busy with GF visiters just checking out the resort (like we always do too ! ), and we are ok with that...........love to relax and "people watch" once in a while,lol. But we are a little worried about the night time movies and pool noise in general.
Since this is our first time at GF, just wondering where exactly these movies are located ???
I think we are going to request marina side so we will have somewhat of a water view, and be away from the noisey side of SL.

Sound like a plan ? What are the pro's and cons of SL marina vs. pool side ?

Syndrome

Old 06-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #3260
CaliforniaDreaming
#1 Grand Floridian Fan/Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
Thanks for the photo, Cali-D!! Your dinners sound wonderful, we love Citricos and Narcoossee's, too. What did you think of the new courtyard pool?
I didn't think the courtyard pool was bad, I can live with it. We actually really enjoyed the zero entry at the Bay Cove Pool at BLT. My niece and nephew were along, they are 2 and 1, so it was perfect for them. Maybe it isn't a half bad idea... I'm going to miss the deep end regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post
CaliforniaDreaming Thanks for the updated VGFconstruction photo..looks like everything is really coming together....Glad that you enjoyed your GF meals...and how nice that the server remembered you! The GF is the only monorail resort left with so many dining options..Poly and CR have both down sized in that department over the years unfortunately...

Swimfly There is a map on the first page of this thread that will show you the layout of the GF grounds...since the DVC construction has begun the evening movies on the beach were moved to the courtyard pool area...so marina view might be a better choice for you...although last summer we were in SL and I didn't think thete was a noise issue at all... but the marina view might feel more serene...lots of comings and goings thru the courtyard area...and its much more lit up in the evening than the marina area...

K&a&c'smom That new Sandy Cove gets a from me...lol....the change over to offer more foods changed the whole ambiance that the store had before....I thinks its the decor of the counter area mostly...remember those pretty GF mirrors? Wonder what they did with them? Again...so many changes at once...lol...
I know, right! I'm disappointed with the Polynesian food offerings, it'd be nice if they had a signature there. I've always had terrible service at Kona Cafe, so won't be back any time soon. We did try 'Ohana this trip, it had been 13 years since we were last there so I figured it was time to return with all of the "demand" the restaurant gets. Needless to say, the food was a disappointment. The only things I really liked were the potstickers and dessert. Maybe with the new Poly DVC we will see some better options.

We still haven't tried the Wave at the Contemporary. I really wish the California Grill was open now as it is one of my favorites at WDW. We've had some varying experiences over the years, but the last few visits have been excellent. Can't wait to try it after the renovation (hopefully soon!). But yes, I think the MK resorts need some new restaurant options. If it was easy to walk into the park for some good options (like in the Epcot area) that'd be a different story.

I agree with everyone on Sandy Cove, I don't care for it. They ruined this store with the renovation. Have you been in the M Mouse Mercantile lately? Wow, did it look bare! I almost wanted to ask the staff where all the merchandise went!

Quote:
Thanks for the photo update !!! Its looking good.
We are hoping that in 32 days they are done with the exterior !!!

32 days to go until we ar at in Sugarloaf !!!!

Thanks to everyone who is posting the up to date pictures.

Syndrome
Enjoy your trip!! I think the exterior should be pretty much completed in a month or so, and they'll be working on the interior. They've made GREAT progress since I saw it in October!
Old 06-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #3261
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike&AllisMom View Post
I wanted to share this news with people that I know will appreciate it much more than my non Disney friends We are celebrating our 13th wedding anniversary & my sons 12th birthday at Disney this October and as a surprise I called last night & upgraded our room to Sugarloaf CL - this is our first time staying CL
Congrats on upgrading to SL. You're going to love CL .

Quote:
Now you guys have me thinking about adding a request. We are staying in SL, and the only request we made was a balcony. I am thinking of adding marina view request now.

Syndrome
I can't compare the two as my only SL stay was with a marina view, but I loved that view. Looking out at the marina was so peaceful and quiet .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Old 06-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #3262
disneyfan'08
Earning My Ears

I'm so excited that I found this thread!!!! I've always wanted to stay at the Grand Floridian, but I've never had a chance to. My parents are DVC members and Bay Lake Tower has become our hotel of choice.

This morning we were able to switch our Bay Lake Tower reservation over to the Grand Floridian Villas for January! Now I'm going crazy looking up and reading everything I can possibly find about the Grand Floridian and its villas!

Just looking at all the pictures is making me even more excited!!!!! It just looks so peaceful and I could see this becoming one of our new favorite hotels!

I haven't had a chance to go through this whole thread yet, but I was wondering has anyone experienced Gasparilla Grill with food allergies? I've either had really awesome experiences or not so good experiences at resort quick service places.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:26 PM   #3263
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

BlueSkies - I had to go look at an old photo, but now I do remember the GF mirrors.~sob~ I liked the old check out better in general. To give them some credit, lol, I do think the location of the new one makes for a better flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarner View Post
Thanks for your votes everyone. I think we'll keep the 9 nights garden view. I'm almost embarrassed to call guest services again. Between the resort changes I've made and the various room requests, I know they must think I'm crazy!!
Don't worry about calling too much, that is what they are there for! If you want to add to your requests, go ahead and call. Better to do so than regret it afterwards.

Quote:
Woohoo! Congrats on the upgrade, and the upcoming celebrations.

Quote:
Now you guys have me thinking about adding a request. We are staying in SL, and the only request we made was a balcony. I am thinking of adding marina view request now. I know the coutyard can get pretty busy with GF visiters just checking out the resort (like we always do too ! ), and we are ok with that...........love to relax and "people watch" once in a while,lol. But we are a little worried about the night time movies and pool noise in general.
Since this is our first time at GF, just wondering where exactly these movies are located ???
I think we are going to request marina side so we will have somewhat of a water view, and be away from the noisey side of SL.

Syndrome
No need for that balcony request, the vast majority of GF rooms have them (minus a few deluxe rooms). I have a photo of the location of the movie by the pool, give me a while to find it. The screen is placed on the grassy area next to the zero entry at the Courtyard Pool.

We had a courtyard view room in the Main bldg. in April and didn't find it too noisy - but it wasn't a busy season.

On the other hand, we love the marina view, so pretty. I have some photos of that view on the first page - post #12, I think, but I'll try to find one of those, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreaming View Post
I didn't think the courtyard pool was bad, I can live with it. We actually really enjoyed the zero entry at the Bay Cove Pool at BLT. My niece and nephew were along, they are 2 and 1, so it was perfect for them. Maybe it isn't a half bad idea... I'm going to miss the deep end regardless.
This was my response, too. We definitely miss the deep end and the pool feels much smaller, don't much care for the fence, but we can live with the changes.

Cute about your tiny niece and nephew. I've never had babies at WDW, so this aspect is lost on me, but I can see how it would appeal to families with little ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreaming View Post
I know, right! I'm disappointed with the Polynesian food offerings, it'd be nice if they had a signature there. I've always had terrible service at Kona Cafe, so won't be back any time soon. We did try 'Ohana this trip, it had been 13 years since we were last there so I figured it was time to return with all of the "demand" the restaurant gets. Needless to say, the food was a disappointment. The only things I really liked were the potstickers and dessert. Maybe with the new Poly DVC we will see some better options.

We still haven't tried the Wave at the Contemporary. I really wish the California Grill was open now as it is one of my favorites at WDW. We've had some varying experiences over the years, but the last few visits have been excellent. Can't wait to try it after the renovation (hopefully soon!). But yes, I think the MK resorts need some new restaurant options. If it was easy to walk into the park for some good options (like in the Epcot area) that'd be a different story.

I agree with everyone on Sandy Cove, I don't care for it. They ruined this store with the renovation. Have you been in the M Mouse Mercantile lately? Wow, did it look bare! I almost wanted to ask the staff where all the merchandise went!

Seems we're all pretty much in agreement on the new amenities. I did not go into M. Mouse last visit, now I wish I had to see how it looks. I do remember thinking they had done away with some merch when they had the Sandy Cove stuff in there, but assumed it would return after the renovations were complete.

I totally agree about the 'Ohana food, we were sorely disappointed our last few tries which is why it has been many years since our last visit. We've always enjoyed Kona, but only for b'fast and lunch, did not care much for the dinner options. The sushi is pretty good though, if pricey. I, too, wish there were a few more options on the monorail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan'08 View Post
I'm so excited that I found this thread!!!! I've always wanted to stay at the Grand Floridian, but I've never had a chance to. My parents are DVC members and Bay Lake Tower has become our hotel of choice.

This morning we were able to switch our Bay Lake Tower reservation over to the Grand Floridian Villas for January! Now I'm going crazy looking up and reading everything I can possibly find about the Grand Floridian and its villas!

Just looking at all the pictures is making me even more excited!!!!! It just looks so peaceful and I could see this becoming one of our new favorite hotels!

I haven't had a chance to go through this whole thread yet, but I was wondering has anyone experienced Gasparilla Grill with food allergies? I've either had really awesome experiences or not so good experiences at resort quick service places.
Congrats on your VGF booking! I think you are going to love the resort.

I can't help with the question regarding food allergies, I hope someone can pop in with info.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 06-23-2013, 05:53 PM   #3264
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Here is a photo of the movie screen, near the zero entry end of the courtyard pool. The utility fencing is gone now.

From the 4th floor, Boca Chica - you can see the grassy area near the Royal Palms in the foreground

Marina view, 2nd floor end room, SL

Marina

*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Old 06-23-2013, 05:57 PM   #3265
DVC Mike

DVC Member @ BLT, VGC, VWL, BWV, BCV

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan'08 View Post
This morning we were able to switch our Bay Lake Tower reservation over to the Grand Floridian Villas for January!
That's great!

My DVC Home Resorts: Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk Villas, and Villas at the Grand Floridian

Old 06-23-2013, 05:58 PM   #3266
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Ground level photos of the grassy area where the movies are shown.
Looking toward SL

Looking toward pool
Old 06-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #3267
Syndrome
Who's super now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post

No need for that balcony request, the vast majority of GF rooms have them (minus a few deluxe rooms). I have a photo of the location of the movie by the pool, give me a while to find it. The screen is placed on the grassy area next to the zero entry at the Courtyard Pool.

We had a courtyard view room in the Main bldg. in April and didn't find it too noisy - but it wasn't a busy season.

On the other hand, we love the marina view, so pretty. I have some photos of that view on the first page - post #12, I think, but I'll try to find one of those, too.

Thanks for the tips, and the detailed photo's !!!

I think we may request marina view, looks so nice and peaceful.
How about a marina view, turret room request? I think I read the turret rooms are a little larger ???

The pics are great, but since we have only visited the GF, and this will be our first stay ........I am having a hard time figuring out eactly where the movies are held.
I will post a picture of the grounds with numbers..........Are the movies held in the #1, #2 or # 3 circle in the map ???

Thanks for the help and pics.

Cant wait for our first stay at GF.
After GF we are heading of to BC for a stay also........not nearly excited for our BC stay as our first GF stay !!! But to be fair we have stayed at BC a few timees already.

Thanks,
Syndrome

Old 06-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #3268
trishadono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Sounds wonderful! Enjoy
Old 06-23-2013, 06:54 PM   #3269
trishadono
DIS Veteran

Just booked 2 bedroom villa at GF for December!!! Can't wait to see in person. After several family trips at BLT we are hoping it will be as nice. We like walking to MK and losing that 3rd bathroom not good but its GRAND FLORIDIAN!!!

Happy dance time
Old 06-23-2013, 07:19 PM   #3270
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the tips, and the detailed photo's !!!

I think we may request marina view, looks so nice and peaceful.
How about a marina view, turret room request? I think I read the turret rooms are a little larger ???

The pics are great, but since we have only visited the GF, and this will be our first stay ........I am having a hard time figuring out eactly where the movies are held.
I will post a picture of the grounds with numbers..........Are the movies held in the #1, #2 or # 3 circle in the map ???

Thanks for the help and pics.

Cant wait for our first stay at GF.
After GF we are heading of to BC for a stay also........not nearly excited for our BC stay as our first GF stay !!! But to be fair we have stayed at BC a few timees already.

Thanks,
Syndrome
You are welcome! LOL about the excitement for BC being less - we love it, too, but GF is our favorite.

The movies are in the #1 area, between SL and Boca. In the first photo, with the movie screen, you see Boca behind the screen. In the photos from Boca, you are looking at the pool, and ground level you have Boca behind you. HTH!

There are no turret rooms on the marina side, sorry. They are, indeed, a little bit bigger with a nice sitting area - but they do not have a daybed. You can request a rollaway, if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishadono View Post
Just booked 2 bedroom villa at GF for December!!! Can't wait to see in person. After several family trips at BLT we are hoping it will be as nice. We like walking to MK and losing that 3rd bathroom not good but its GRAND FLORIDIAN!!!

Happy dance time
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: