Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 09:44 AM   #3241
BlueSkies
DIS Veteran

thisismyusername, jillmc40 and CandyOrlando Congrats on becoming VGF owners!!! How exciting!

mommygina I never thought the waterfall seemed like such a heavy stream of water either... but it seems it was an issue for the life guards..maybe to see little ones that might wander behind it??? I was always a fan of the courtyard pool..and never really spent that much time at the beach pool..unless we were doing some cabana time...but I know the kids did spend a good amount of time around that waterfall area...

k&a&c'smom is all I have to say about the new fence around the courtyard pool....I understand it needs to be there due to some safety standards..I think...??? It really does change the look of the whole area... Maybe just too much change at one time... Although I do like the way the new and improved Gasparilla's looks...

MickeyNut What a surprise that your fave view from the GF is of the Poly!!!! Sorry to say..but the VGF does block that pretty Poly view...Now what are you going to do??? ...LOL...

dfarner Thanks for sharing your lovely GF pics...

Old 06-22-2013, 05:44 PM   #3242
appledown
Earning My Ears

Thanks for all if the great ideas! 24 hours from now we'll be at the GF!

I just realized I never made a building request. I'm checking in online tonight. I know it's late, but which building would you choose for a standard garden view? I'm leaning Big Pine Key, but would love to hear opinions.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #3243
dfarner
I married my Prince Charming.

9 nights garden view or 8 nights Sugarloaf?

I got a wild hair today and called about changing to Sugarloaf. We are staying 9 nights. The difference was around $1,100, which is more than I want to bite off ( our room and tickets are paid off!). However, 8 nights Sugarloaf is a difference of around $550-580 or so. I would consider that, but I am not keen on losing a night.

What would you all do? Thoughts anyone? We stayed Sugarloaf a few years ago, so we are aware of all the pros-location, etc...

Me DH DD11 DD7

1992-2004 many offsite trips
2005-ASMo,ASMu,OKW 2006-SSR 2007-OKW 2008-POR and VWL 2009-Dolphin
2010-Grand Floridian~SugarLoaf
2011-Polynesian~GVCL
2013-Port Orleans Riverside, Beach Club~SVCL
Old 06-22-2013, 08:59 PM   #3244
CaliforniaDreaming
#1 Grand Floridian Fan/Expert

Just wanted to give a little photo update of the progress on the villas construction. This is from last night:

While we didn't stay at the GF this trip (stayed at BLT, and loved it!), we spent a bit of time eating at the resort. Dinner at Narcoossee's and Citricos were fantastic as usual, our server at Narcoossee's actually remembered us from last year. We also had dinner at the Grand Floridian Cafe which we haven't done in a long time.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:17 PM   #3245
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the photo, Cali-D!! Your dinners sound wonderful, we love Citricos and Narcoossee's, too. What did you think of the new courtyard pool?

MommyGina - sorry about your hand, I hope it is healed soon. Good luck with your VGF decision - I laughed at your aside "anything related to the GF is in my best interest"! We can all relate.

Blue Skies - I agree about Gasparilla's, and we thought the new Beach Pool bar was nice. Not as big a fan of the Sandy Cove changes, they do not seem to have as much variety of merchandise for some reason. Maybe due to adding the food items.

Candy Orlando - congrats on your VGF purchase!

Quote:
Originally Posted by appledown View Post

I just realized I never made a building request. I'm checking in online tonight. I know it's late, but which building would you choose for a standard garden view? I'm leaning Big Pine Key, but would love to hear opinions.
Safe travels and have a Grand vacation!

With garden view, I prefer the location of either Boca or Conch Key. Boca has good pool views and a lovely view of the Main bldg., good proximity to the courtyard pool and boat dock. Conch Key is centrally located, close to courtyard pool and boat dock with easy access to the marina and Gasparilla's out the back. Not to mention, the marina view is considered garden view, if you prefer a water view over pool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarner View Post
I got a wild hair today and called about changing to Sugarloaf. We are staying 9 nights. The difference was around $1,100, which is more than I want to bite off ( our room and tickets are paid off!). However, 8 nights Sugarloaf is a difference of around $550-580 or so. I would consider that, but I am not keen on losing a night.

What would you all do? Thoughts anyone? We stayed Sugarloaf a few years ago, so we are aware of all the pros-location, etc...
That's a tough one. We do love club level, but over $120/night difference is a bit high. Depends on the number of people in your party, though, we usually have only 2. If you have 3+, the breakfast alone is worth the difference when you factor in convenience. ETA: I notice now, you have 4!

Why is the one night over $500 extra? Seems off, unless one is with discount while the other is not. I definitely would NOT book that one night if this is the case, not worth that much more. Why not book it garden view and the rest SL, if it is at the beginning (probably wouldn't want to switch at the end, lol).
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 06-22-2013, 10:43 PM   #3246
dfarner

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post

That's a tough one. We do love club level, but over $120/night difference is a bit high. Depends on the number of people in your party, though, we usually have only 2. If you have 3+, the breakfast alone is worth the difference when you factor in convenience. ETA: I notice now, you have 4!

Why is the one night over $500 extra? Seems off, unless one is with discount while the other is not. I definitely would NOT book that one night if this is the case, not worth that much more. Why not book it garden view and the rest SL, if it is at the beginning (probably wouldn't want to switch at the end, lol).
I think you're right, my math is off. I was quoted the $1,100 for the 9 nights, but did 8 in my head and I'm realizing now I'm not correct. I'm just going to call tomorrow to get the 8 night quote. My head tells me to just leave things alone and finish packing!!

Me DH DD11 DD7

2011-Polynesian~GVCL
Old 06-22-2013, 11:49 PM   #3247
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I think you're right, my math is off. I was quoted the $1,100 for the 9 nights, but did 8 in my head and I'm realizing now I'm not correct. I'm just going to call tomorrow to get the 8 night quote. My head tells me to just leave things alone and finish packing!!
I would go with a longer stay vs SL. I enjoy CL, but not at the expense of a shorter trip.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Old 06-22-2013, 11:51 PM   #3248
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I'm agonizing over pool view vs marina view just can't decide.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Old 06-23-2013, 12:06 AM   #3249
swimfly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M

I don't know the layout at GF (yet) but have found the pool views at Poly and BC/YC to be extremely noisy. At Poly, we couldn't get to bed until the movie on the beach was over each night. I also didn't like that I never had "privacy" on our patio/balcony.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #3250
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
I'm wondering if the dormers with no connecting door are the ones with the daybed, as those rooms seem to have a bit more space across from the beds.
You could be right .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Orlando View Post
I've never been able to stay at the Grand because I need a kitchen while on vacation. I own a piece of the Grand now. I will be able to stay in a one bedroom each year for two weeks. I will be at my new home in Dec. and again in Jan. for a week each time. I'm so HAPPY!!!
Congratulations on the VGF purchase . You're going to love the Grand.....it's amazing .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post
MickeyNut What a surprise that your fave view from the GF is of the Poly!!!! Sorry to say..but the VGF does block that pretty Poly view...Now what are you going to do??? ...LOL...
As much as I hoped that wasn't the case, that is what I figured. I think the DVC building is going to be beautiful (just like the GF resort building), but I'm sad that Poly view is gone .

Quote:
Have a great time .

Quote:

I'd keep the 9 nights .

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreaming View Post
Just wanted to give a little photo update of the progress on the villas construction.
Love the pic .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
I don't think you can go wrong with either one .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Old 06-23-2013, 09:05 AM   #3251
BlueSkies
DIS Veteran

CaliforniaDreaming Thanks for the updated VGFconstruction photo..looks like everything is really coming together....Glad that you enjoyed your GF meals...and how nice that the server remembered you! The GF is the only monorail resort left with so many dining options..Poly and CR have both down sized in that department over the years unfortunately...

Swimfly There is a map on the first page of this thread that will show you the layout of the GF grounds...since the DVC construction has begun the evening movies on the beach were moved to the courtyard pool area...so marina view might be a better choice for you...although last summer we were in SL and I didn't think thete was a noise issue at all... but the marina view might feel more serene...lots of comings and goings thru the courtyard area...and its much more lit up in the evening than the marina area...

K&a&c'smom That new Sandy Cove gets a from me...lol....the change over to offer more foods changed the whole ambiance that the store had before....I thinks its the decor of the counter area mostly...remember those pretty GF mirrors? Wonder what they did with them? Again...so many changes at once...lol...

Old 06-23-2013, 09:07 AM   #3252
BlueSkies
DIS Veteran

Good morning MickeyNut! We were posting at the same time...

Old 06-23-2013, 09:13 AM   #3253
Syndrome
Who's super now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreaming View Post
Just wanted to give a little photo update of the progress on the villas construction. This is from last night:

While we didn't stay at the GF this trip (stayed at BLT, and loved it!), we spent a bit of time eating at the resort. Dinner at Narcoossee's and Citricos were fantastic as usual, our server at Narcoossee's actually remembered us from last year. We also had dinner at the Grand Floridian Cafe which we haven't done in a long time.
Thanks for the photo update !!! Its looking good.
We are hoping that in 32 days they are done with the exterior !!!

32 days to go until we ar at in Sugarloaf !!!!

Thanks to everyone who is posting the up to date pictures.

Syndrome

Various stays at : ASM, AKL, AKV, BC, BLT, BWV, FW, GF, HHI,
OKW, Poly, POR, WL, VWL, SSR, RPR, HRH, PBR, Off-Site ......
Old 06-23-2013, 09:57 AM   #3254
dfarner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
Tough call, both are fabulous. A bit more action facing the pool, but the marina is so serene...

Me DH DD11 DD7

2011-Polynesian~GVCL
Old 06-23-2013, 09:59 AM   #3255
dfarner

Thanks for your votes everyone. I think we'll keep the 9 nights garden view. I'm almost embarrassed to call guest services again. Between the resort changes I've made and the various room requests, I know they must think I'm crazy!!

Me DH DD11 DD7

2011-Polynesian~GVCL
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: