Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #3226
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
What a great view of the courtyard pool.....wish I was there now .

Quote:
We were posting at the same time.
Yes we were .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Old 06-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #3227
dfarner
I married my Prince Charming.

Love the photos!

Thank you all for posting photos and giving room tips. I can request a high floor, but what about that dormer room balcony? That looks so small. I guess having a full balcony looking at the back of the pool house would do me no good anyway, right? I will try to call today and add a request for high floor. If I happen to get a dormer room, how much smaller are they? Would they have the daybed? I don't want to add too many requests and the room assigner give up on me .

Also, regarding photos, I am not taking the laptop, but I will have my Iphone. If someone wants to pm me with their email address I will forward them to you to post while I'm there. Not sure I can do it with my phone, right??

You guys have been so helpful already. Thank you!

Me DH DD11 DD7

1992-2004 many offsite trips
2005-ASMo,ASMu,OKW 2006-SSR 2007-OKW 2008-POR and VWL 2009-Dolphin
2010-Grand Floridian~SugarLoaf
2011-Polynesian~GVCL
2013-Port Orleans Riverside, Beach Club~SVCL
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-21-2013, 10:12 AM   #3228
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarner View Post
Thank you all for posting photos and giving room tips. I can request a high floor, but what about that dormer room balcony? That looks so small. I guess having a full balcony looking at the back of the pool house would do me no good anyway, right? I will try to call today and add a request for high floor. If I happen to get a dormer room, how much smaller are they? Would they have the daybed? I don't want to add too many requests and the room assigner give up on me .
The dormer rooms are a little smaller and I don't think any of them come with a daybed. We were originally assigned a dormer room in BPK and when we arrived at the room, I noticed something was different (it took me awhile to realize there was no daybed ). I was able to change rooms to one with a daybed, but there are some rooms that don't have them. I would list your requests in order of importance, so if a daybed is more important than a higher floor, for example, list that first. Don't be worried about listing a few requests. On our Poly stay a few years ago I listed a certain longhouse, floor, and which pool I wanted to face (in that order) .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Old 06-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #3229
Jennygt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
appledown - congrats on your first stay, you are leaving so soon!!

My best tip is to simply enjoy the resort. Leave plenty of time for exploring the grounds, sit in the lobby listening to the music (after 3 p.m.), have a snack at Gasparilla's while watching Wishes, get out on the water in a Sea Racer, have afternoon tea at the Garden View Tea Room, hang out at the pools.

Have a Grand vacation.

dfarner, here is a photo of the view from our 4th floor BPK room. You can see the pool building below the balcony and can see how the lower floors would have very little view of the pool.

jennygt, here is a photo of the opened daybed:

You are so sweet!!! Thanks for the quick respone!!! As for the bedrails I am sure they have them, they do at the poly. I will ask around! Have a great day all!

Old 06-21-2013, 01:11 PM   #3230
BlueSkies
DIS Veteran

MickeyNut I have saved all of the keys from past trips too...Maybe we should start a key hoarders club! Sounds like there are plenty of us..even right here on this thread...

appledown Congrats on your very first GF stay! I agree with k&a&c'smom its nice to just relax and enjoy the resort itself....It really is so lovely...

k&a&c'smom I too am sad about the changes at the courtyard pool... I always felt that it added to the grandness of the resort...The new pool is so much smaller ...and almost all of the umbrella tables seem to be gone??? We enjoyed breakfast many mornings poolside with our children....Just this past trip I was out at the pool taking yes..yet another set of pictures... and I overheard an older couple...lament about the fact that they had no place to sit out there and not be in the sun....But..whats done is done...I guess it will grow on us ..eventually!??? LOL...

dfarner I think that BPK and Boca Chica both have nice garden views...both over look the courtyard pool...but BPK mostly faces across the courtyard towards Sugar Loaf..where as Boca Chica has a view of the main building...which is such a lovely view IMO..especially in the evening when its all lit up...

As for the construction...I have been at the GF a few times in the last year..and I didn't really feel it was such a huge detraction from the overall feel of the resort...I was in SL during the courtyard pool construction...with a pool..well really construction view..lol...and even with the construction walls..the grounds were still lit up and manicured and looking pretty...even the constructions walls were decorated..but since that is completed the whole courtyard area is looking fine...more recently I was in RPC...with a view of the beach pool and DVC construction..and thought that it still looked nice..also thought it was interesting to watch all that was going on.. ... the loudest noise that I heard while sitting on the balcony was the clanging from the childrens splash area..and that bell is pretty loud!

Old 06-21-2013, 01:35 PM   #3231
thisismyusername
DIS Veteran

A picture from new lovers (and owners!) of The Grand Floridian. Enjoy.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #3232
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post
MickeyNut I have saved all of the keys from past trips too...Maybe we should start a key hoarders club! Sounds like there are plenty of us..even right here on this thread...

more recently I was in RPC...with a view of the beach pool and DVC construction..and thought that it still looked nice..also thought it was interesting to watch all that was going on.. ... the loudest noise that I heard while sitting on the balcony was the clanging from the childrens splash area..and that bell is pretty loud!
LOL......that would be a great club .

My favorite view when staying RPC is looking across the lagoon at the Poly . Can you still see any part of the Poly or does the DVC building pretty much block that whole view? I think the DVC building is going to be pretty, but I also like to see my Poly .

Old 06-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #3233
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

I hope this doesn't sound critical, as that is not at all the intent: whenever we quote a post with a photo, it is helpful to delete the photo link so that only the text is quoted. Having the same photos re-posted uses up so much bandwidth, I know the mods get frustrated. I had to upgrade my Photobucket account just yesterday as my bandwidth limit had been reached!

I have been guilty in the past, too, so wanted to add a friendly reminder.

dfarner - everyone has given great advice for requests, and BPK does have some nice pool views. However, if you want a clear view of the pool but do NOT want a dormer room, I suggest you delete BPK as a requested building and go with Boca. As BlueSkies mentioned, Boca has a great view of the Main bldg. along with the pool view.

Conch Key has good pool views, too, but some of them are not directly looking at the pool, more of a side view. We love the great location, though, so it's a good trade off for us.

Your question about the dormer balcony is correct, they are smaller and enclosed, you have to stand up to see out. We don't like them, lol.

mickeynut1 - Apparently, some of the dormer rooms DO have a daybed! After the 2007 soft goods refurb, several DISers posted photos of dormer rooms with a daybed, so some must have them. Our last experience with a dormer room was prior to that refurb, and we did NOT have one and the room seemed slightly smaller, length-wise. I was surprised they were able to get a daybed in them. They do have that pretty dormer ceiling, though.

Good point about listing your requests in order of importance. Always a good idea!

Jennygt - you're welcome!

BlueSkies - I know! I miss the old courtyard pool, this one feels much smaller to us, too. I hadn't noticed there were less umbrella tables, but that makes sense as the pool deck seems more crowded, don't you think? We're not fans of the fence, either, but we'll just have to get used to it. All good things and all.

LOL about the key hoarders club - I'm in!

thisismyusername - thanks for the photo and congrats on being a new owner at VGF.

Syndrome - I forgot to thank you for the lovely post card style photo a page or so back. Thanks!
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser

Last edited by k&a&c'smom; 06-21-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #3234
jillmc40
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
The dormer rooms are a little smaller and I don't think any of them come with a daybed. We were originally assigned a dormer room in BPK and when we arrived at the room, I noticed something was different (it took me awhile to realize there was no daybed ). I was able to change rooms to one with a daybed, but there are some rooms that don't have them. I would list your requests in order of importance, so if a daybed is more important than a higher floor, for example, list that first. Don't be worried about listing a few requests. On our Poly stay a few years ago I listed a certain longhouse, floor, and which pool I wanted to face (in that order) .
When I stayed there I was in a dormer room. It did not have a daybed, it had a chair, and yes, the balcony was small. AND, I had to stand to look out at anything...Looking back I probably should have asked to change rooms, but it was our first visit and I was just happy to be there. I would have preferred a regular balcony though.

*thisismyusername* - we just bought there too!! I am so very excited to stay there, I think it is going to be amazing!

Old 06-21-2013, 06:29 PM   #3235
DetTigsGal
DIS Veteran

Ok gang, refresh my memory...what floor are the dormer rooms. We have requested sago and I remember last time when the cm said the room number- I knew it was dormer and got it switched . Thanks!
CR - 1996 (DS19 1st Trip), 1999 (DS14 1st Trip), 2003, 2007
GF - 2009, 2010
Grand Californian - 2011 (DS19 Graduation Trip)
WL CL - 2012
Old 06-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #3236
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
mickeynut1 - Apparently, some of the dormer rooms DO have a daybed! After the 2007 soft goods refurb, several DISers posted photos of dormer rooms with a daybed, so some must have them. Our last experience with a dormer room was prior to that refurb, and we did NOT have one and the room seemed slightly smaller, length-wise. I was surprised they were able to get a daybed in them. They do have that pretty dormer ceiling, though.
That's good to know about the dormer rooms/daybeds. I wonder how they put a daybed in those rooms without making it more cramped . The one we were assigned prior to getting moved did not have a daybed (that was in December 2010) and I agree they are a little smaller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillmc40 View Post
When I stayed there I was in a dormer room. It did not have a daybed, it had a chair,
Ours had a chair too. I don't think I'd like a daybed in a dormer room as it seemed small with the chair and a daybed would take up more space.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:09 PM   #3237
dfarner
I married my Prince Charming.

Thank you K&a&c'smom. I really will probably need to further my request for a low room or one close to an elevator. My oldest has Osgood-Schlatter disease and her knee is bothering her right now. Dr. put her back in a brace today and we go back to orthopedic MD on Monday. She's had 36 hours of cheer camp this week, and that, coupled with the growth spurt she's going through has been so tough on her!
Also, speaking of pictures...I was going through old photobucket albums today and I posted a few pics on the GF photo thread. For those of you that need a fix!

Me DH DD11 DD7

1992-2004 many offsite trips
2005-ASMo,ASMu,OKW 2006-SSR 2007-OKW 2008-POR and VWL 2009-Dolphin
2010-Grand Floridian~SugarLoaf
2011-Polynesian~GVCL
2013-Port Orleans Riverside, Beach Club~SVCL

Last edited by dfarner; 06-21-2013 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Spelling!
Old 06-22-2013, 08:48 AM   #3238
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillmc40 View Post
When I stayed there I was in a dormer room. It did not have a daybed, it had a chair, and yes, the balcony was small. AND, I had to stand to look out at anything...Looking back I probably should have asked to change rooms, but it was our first visit and I was just happy to be there. I would have preferred a regular balcony though.

*thisismyusername* - we just bought there too!! I am so very excited to stay there, I think it is going to be amazing!
Thanks for the dormer room/daybed info, a few years ago it seemed as if there were no rooms left without daybed. Two reports in a row makes it likely there are a number of them, I'll have to add that to the first page.

Congrats on your VGF purchase, very exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetTigsGal View Post
Ok gang, refresh my memory...what floor are the dormer rooms. We have requested sago and I remember last time when the cm said the room number- I knew it was dormer and got it switched . Thanks!
There are a few dormers on some 3rd floors, more on the 4th floors and 5th floor non-suite rooms are all dormer, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
That's good to know about the dormer rooms/daybeds. I wonder how they put a daybed in those rooms without making it more cramped . The one we were assigned prior to getting moved did not have a daybed (that was in December 2010) and I agree they are a little smaller.

Ours had a chair too. I don't think I'd like a daybed in a dormer room as it seemed small with the chair and a daybed would take up more space.
They absolutely did look cramped, the furniture was lined up on the wall opposite the beds and there was no space between. I'm wondering if the dormers with no connecting door are the ones with the daybed, as those rooms seem to have a bit more space across from the beds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarner View Post
Thank you K&a&c'smom. I really will probably need to further my request for a low room or one close to an elevator. My oldest has Osgood-Schlatter disease and her knee is bothering her right now. Dr. put her back in a brace today and we go back to orthopedic MD on Monday. She's had 36 hours of cheer camp this week, and that, coupled with the growth spurt she's going through has been so tough on her!
Also, speaking of pictures...I was going through old photobucket albums today and I posted a few pics on the GF photo thread. For those of you that need a fix!
You're welcome! Sorry to hear about your DD's knee, I hope it is much improved by the time you head to the World. Be sure to mention the knee if you speak to a CM when you make your requests, so they know you have a need for the first floor/close to elevator.

Thanks for letting us know about the photos, I'll have to pop over there and take a look!
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 06-22-2013, 09:42 AM   #3239
MommyGina
DIS Veteran

thisismyusername - Congratulations on the DVC purchase! I was just talking to DH about the GF DVC this morning. Trying to figure out if it would be in our best interest to purchase (anything related to the GF is in my best interest) and what would be the best time of year to go.

Still have stitches in my hand and typing is still a bit hard. I looked back in my photos of the waterfall pool and even back several years it wasn't a very hard stream of water.

Enjoy the weekend and keep cool!
Old 06-22-2013, 10:11 AM   #3240
Candy Orlando
DIS Veteran

I've never been able to stay at the Grand because I need a kitchen while on vacation. I own a piece of the Grand now. I will be able to stay in a one bedroom each year for two weeks. I will be at my new home in Dec. and again in Jan. for a week each time. I'm so HAPPY!!!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: