Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 10:02 AM   #3031
pas130
DIS Veteran

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaccccccccccccccccccckkkk So in my true ch-ch-changing ways....I've changed this morning to RPC. Am I nervous about the view...NOPE. Am I nervous about the Grand...NOPE. My DS4 and DDs all keep asking about the Grand. It's my DHs 40th birthday trip..he's getting his Portofino Bay trip, which shortened MY WDW time...therefore...I booked GF (after many many changes...no shocker to my friends here). I've decided not to make any requests, it's only 3 nights...I just am going to enjoy RPC and the new pool!!!

k&a&c'smom Sorry I've been lurking..you know how I am when I am not bookedat the Grand
Old 05-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #3032
Grumpy Grandma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas130 View Post
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaccccccccccccccccccckkkk So in my true ch-ch-changing ways....I've changed this morning to RPC. Am I nervous about the view...NOPE. Am I nervous about the Grand...NOPE. My DS4 and DDs all keep asking about the Grand. It's my DHs 40th birthday trip..he's getting his Portofino Bay trip, which shortened MY WDW time...therefore...I booked GF (after many many changes...no shocker to my friends here). I've decided not to make any requests, it's only 3 nights...I just am going to enjoy RPC and the new pool!!!

k&a&c'smom Sorry I've been lurking..you know how I am when I am not bookedat the Grand
Now I really do believe this is the perfect split for you .... now sit back, relax and enjoy the next 49 days!!!!
Register to remove

Old 05-30-2013, 05:45 PM   #3033
CaliforniaDreaming
#1 Grand Floridian Fan/Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyGina View Post
So now I am starting to worry about RPC and the TPV room that we have booked for July. Last time we did this, our room overlooked the marina and had a direct view of the castle. Loved it!!! I'm nervous that we will not have the marina/castle view and could be somewhere else in RPC with TPV.

Is there another area that the GF considers a TPV in RPC, like overlooking Space Mountain and not the castle?
You'll be in this same area. The RPC TPV rooms are 4301-4309 and 4401-4409. Enjoy!
Old 05-30-2013, 10:25 PM   #3034
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas130 View Post

Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Old 05-30-2013, 10:47 PM   #3035
Cindy's Mom
DIS Veteran

I'm going to upgrade to Sugarloaf, and want to put a room request in at the same time. I'd like a pool view, but in looking at the map, can you really even see the pool? Should I request lagoon view instead? What do I look at from there. Also, do the rooms have balconies? Are first floor room, a patio or a balcony type thingy, with a railing? I prefer a walk out room.

2013 - GF CL (June)
2012 - Off Site
2012 - On and Off Site
2011 - Coronado Springs
2010 - Easter Week: ASMo
2009 - WL
2008 - Yacht Club
2007 - WL (summer)
2007 - CBR (spring)
2006 - POP
2005 - POR
2004 - Nick Hotel

Old 05-31-2013, 12:05 AM   #3036
Rhongepooh
I must ponder this news

Ok we checked in today and I know all you LOVE the Grand Floridian but we HATE, HATE, HATE it! We miss our home at the Contemporary. It started at check in. The room wasn't ready so I gave them my cell number. We still hadn't heard anything by 1:30 and my grandson was exhausted. We decided to go back and ask about the room....it was ready and had been since 11:30 and they argued with me that they sent me a message until I finally got my phone and showed them no message...no big deal though the room was ready and that was the main thing...till they told me where it was. I did online check in last week and asked for Sago Cay (or is it Key it's too late tonight) but I had also called a while back and personally asked for it and when they did our check in I saw this request noted in a paper she had. Where did we get? Big Pine...the EXACT OPPOSITE side of the resort or our new term...the back forty because its 40 miles from ANYWHERE you want to be. I also asked for a high floor and we got the 2nd floor. I explained to the desk that I understood just because I asked for a building didn't automatically mean I would get it but it seemed like they put us in the exact opposite that I had asked for. Their reply was sorry it was the only building that had 2 rooms near each other...bull! So I take it because the baby needed to rest, in our room because my daughter's room wasn't ready. We get in and look out our window to the balcony and what is our view? The DVC construction site! Then when my daughter and son in law get into their room they have no DVD like we do. I go BACK down and across the back 40 to the front desk to tell them and to tell a manager how disappointed I Amanda I did talk to a WONDERFUL woman, a greeter I think, who got me a manager who we go through the whole story with again. One reason I asked for Sago Cay is because my Aunt, in her mid 70s is with us and has a hard time getting around in the evening. So he really doesn't say much to me AT all and I finally tell him to just switch they keys to the rooms and put daughter, son in law and grandson in the room with the DVD and us in the room without. He did this.

While I was waiting there were 2 other people having MAJOR problems ...even worse than mine so I didn't throw a host fit. The guy ahead of me was from Scotland had 3 rooms and they had not informed him of the pool being closed and had sold them the wrong tickets so the guy and his kids had gone to a park and they refused to let them in...I don't know if they maybe didn't buy park hoppers or if it was something else but they were not helping him AT ALL.

So later we had to get something out of the car, which was in valet, and I called to get it brought around....no answer AT ALL!! We just went on down and I told them I called to have the car brought around but didn't get an answer. The manager, the same one who was NO help to the Scottish guy, told me, "We Aren't doing call ahead valet because its too busy out here"... Which wouldn't have been bad BUT (1) they refused to even take calls so you didn't know WHAT was going on until you hiked the back 40 AGAIN and (2) THERE WAS NOTHING GOING ON... No traffic, no cars , no people.

This evening we went to DHS and we had to hike the back 49 plus 10 more to get to the bus stop. When returning this e ending they continued to pack people in until we couldn't MOVE AT ALL. There were probably about 15 to 20 of us standing in the aisles and of course we were the last to be dropped off.

At the Contemporary every single time we come back from the parks we are greeted with someone telling us , "Welcome home" . We have had NO ONE say anything to us AND my daughter to my grandson into one of the stores nd the store clerk not only didn't acknowledge they came in, the only 2 in the store, but she was short to her.

Now we have had a couple of nice CM's...housekeeping, the actual ones getting the rooms ready have been really nice (although when I called this evening for a blanket for daughter 2 on the couch bed the CM on the housekeeping on the phone argued with me that there was 2 blankets in the room...there were none they apparently mistook a pillow for a blanket because we had 3 extra pillows).

The bellhop, Whitt, I THINK ...I have his name written down....who was GREAT! HE told us where the pools were and their hours and where Gas? Grill was and that we could see the Electric Water Parade and about the boat and the hidden Mickeys, Goofys and Tinkerbelles, even pointing them out to us!

The Contemporary is our home and we booked the Grand because the Contemporary was booked when I had to change our reservations. We were excited though to stay in Disney's "Flagship Hotel". We are NOT impressed and if I could move to the Contemporary tomorrow we would do it in a heartbeat. I'm going to be writing a long letter when we get home. We paid close to $8,000.00 for our vacation for 5 days/5 nights park hoppers with the dining plan and we still feel like most of the staff could care less about making us satisfied. Anyone know who I would call or where I would write to complain?
Old 05-31-2013, 06:47 AM   #3037
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhongepooh View Post
Ok we checked in today and I know all you LOVE the Grand Floridian but we HATE, HATE, HATE it! We miss our home at the Contemporary. It started at check in. The room wasn't ready so I gave them my cell number. We still hadn't heard anything by 1:30 and my grandson was exhausted. We decided to go back and ask about the room....it was ready and had been since 11:30 and they argued with me that they sent me a message until I finally got my phone and showed them no message...no big deal though the room was ready and that was the main thing...till they told me where it was. I did online check in last week and asked for Sago Cay (or is it Key it's too late tonight) but I had also called a while back and personally asked for it and when they did our check in I saw this request noted in a paper she had. Where did we get? Big Pine...the EXACT OPPOSITE side of the resort or our new term...the back forty because its 40 miles from ANYWHERE you want to be. I also asked for a high floor and we got the 2nd floor. I explained to the desk that I understood just because I asked for a building didn't automatically mean I would get it but it seemed like they put us in the exact opposite that I had asked for. Their reply was sorry it was the only building that had 2 rooms near each other...bull! So I take it because the baby needed to rest, in our room because my daughter's room wasn't ready. We get in and look out our window to the balcony and what is our view? The DVC construction site! Then when my daughter and son in law get into their room they have no DVD like we do. I go BACK down and across the back 40 to the front desk to tell them and to tell a manager how disappointed I Amanda I did talk to a WONDERFUL woman, a greeter I think, who got me a manager who we go through the whole story with again. One reason I asked for Sago Cay is because my Aunt, in her mid 70s is with us and has a hard time getting around in the evening. So he really doesn't say much to me AT all and I finally tell him to just switch they keys to the rooms and put daughter, son in law and grandson in the room with the DVD and us in the room without. He did this.

While I was waiting there were 2 other people having MAJOR problems ...even worse than mine so I didn't throw a host fit. The guy ahead of me was from Scotland had 3 rooms and they had not informed him of the pool being closed and had sold them the wrong tickets so the guy and his kids had gone to a park and they refused to let them in...I don't know if they maybe didn't buy park hoppers or if it was something else but they were not helping him AT ALL.

So later we had to get something out of the car, which was in valet, and I called to get it brought around....no answer AT ALL!! We just went on down and I told them I called to have the car brought around but didn't get an answer. The manager, the same one who was NO help to the Scottish guy, told me, "We Aren't doing call ahead valet because its too busy out here"... Which wouldn't have been bad BUT (1) they refused to even take calls so you didn't know WHAT was going on until you hiked the back 40 AGAIN and (2) THERE WAS NOTHING GOING ON... No traffic, no cars , no people.

This evening we went to DHS and we had to hike the back 49 plus 10 more to get to the bus stop. When returning this e ending they continued to pack people in until we couldn't MOVE AT ALL. There were probably about 15 to 20 of us standing in the aisles and of course we were the last to be dropped off.

At the Contemporary every single time we come back from the parks we are greeted with someone telling us , "Welcome home" . We have had NO ONE say anything to us AND my daughter to my grandson into one of the stores nd the store clerk not only didn't acknowledge they came in, the only 2 in the store, but she was short to her.

Now we have had a couple of nice CM's...housekeeping, the actual ones getting the rooms ready have been really nice (although when I called this evening for a blanket for daughter 2 on the couch bed the CM on the housekeeping on the phone argued with me that there was 2 blankets in the room...there were none they apparently mistook a pillow for a blanket because we had 3 extra pillows).

The bellhop, Whitt, I THINK ...I have his name written down....who was GREAT! HE told us where the pools were and their hours and where Gas? Grill was and that we could see the Electric Water Parade and about the boat and the hidden Mickeys, Goofys and Tinkerbelles, even pointing them out to us!

The Contemporary is our home and we booked the Grand because the Contemporary was booked when I had to change our reservations. We were excited though to stay in Disney's "Flagship Hotel". We are NOT impressed and if I could move to the Contemporary tomorrow we would do it in a heartbeat. I'm going to be writing a long letter when we get home. We paid close to $8,000.00 for our vacation for 5 days/5 nights park hoppers with the dining plan and we still feel like most of the staff could care less about making us satisfied. Anyone know who I would call or where I would write to complain?
Sorry you had such a hard time. I hope the rest of your vacation is better. I thought they had a gas grill but when I called they told me no. Is there a gas grill?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Old 05-31-2013, 07:04 AM   #3038
MommyGina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreaming View Post
You'll be in this same area. The RPC TPV rooms are 4301-4309 and 4401-4409. Enjoy!
Hope I get room 4401 like we had last time. It was almost perfect, except for the palm tree that was kind of in the way of the fireworks. I did request that room, but I know there is no guarantee. I have had luck requesting rooms in the past and have gotten them. Keep your fingers crossed.

Did I see that someone here is going to be at the GF the same time that I am? We will be there July16-23.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:05 AM   #3039
MommyGina
DIS Veteran

Should have responded in my last post about gas grill. We have been going to the GF for 8 years and I have not seen a gas grill on property.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:23 AM   #3040
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyGina View Post
Should have responded in my last post about gas grill. We have been going to the GF for 8 years and I have not seen a gas grill on property.
Wow 8 years! It must be really nice. We are going as a large family of 12!for the first time at GF this summer. I am so looking forward to trying it.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Old 05-31-2013, 09:15 AM   #3041
phyllis1966
DIS addict who eats vicariously through others on the Restaurant Board
It makes me feel old when a young whippersnapper calls me "ma'am"

I'm pretty sure Rhongepooh meant Gasparilla's Grill, the quick service place at the GF...I feel so bad that so many things went wrong for them. We have been staying at the GF almost yearly since 2002 and have never had anything remotely like those things happen to us. Hopefully the vacation improves for them.

May 2006::December 2006 - surprise 40th Birthday family trip!!!
November 2007::November 2009::November 2010
November 2011 - GF surprised us with upgrade to RPC-TPV!::October 2012 - GF surprised us again - upgraded to Sugarloaf for 20th Anniversary!::July 2014 - Aulani!::F&WF Quickie October 2014
Sweet 16 Trip to Disneyland - July 2015

Our little family: DH and me ~ DD15 ~ Gracie
Old 05-31-2013, 10:14 AM   #3042
Elinor Dashwood
DIS Veteran

I'm confused, why was the GF pool closed? Was this a recent trip, Rhongepooh?

As far as room requests go, I've always been told they are not guaranteed.

I'm sorry you had a poor experience, that stinks for the money you spent. That's the good thing about Disney though, there are resorts for every type of person.

We like the Poly and GF. DH isn't a fan of the CR, he thinks it looks too sterile. I kind of like it though, especially since the monorail goes through the resort.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:36 AM   #3043
trishadono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy's Mom View Post
I'm going to upgrade to Sugarloaf, and want to put a room request in at the same time. I'd like a pool view, but in looking at the map, can you really even see the pool? Should I request lagoon view instead? What do I look at from there. Also, do the rooms have balconies? Are first floor room, a patio or a balcony type thingy, with a railing? I prefer a walk out room.
DD and I stayed there a night last year in SL. I requested the marina side but got pool side. I didn't mind because they gave us a room at 7:30am. We were 3rd floor just left of the main door across from the pool. It was such a convenient location, just steps to hot tub and pool and close to main building, busses and marina/boats. Only down side is the lounge itself. Somewhat boring but the food is fantastic!!! Good view of pool from any room on this side, it was very close.

Go back and look at pics of GF on first pages of thread. Basically floor 2 and 3 have full balconies, 4th (some dormer rooms also on 3rd) dormer rooms have smaller balconies but more private. 1st floors are enclosed patios. There are some deluxe rooms available upon request for no additional charge as well.

Go to Google or Bing maps and check it out area. The marina side has water and monorail view. The other side is pool and gardens/walkways.

Lastly I visited GF this weekend and the pool refurb is pretty at night. They filled in the pool so it has lights in it and shallow for people to walk around in it.(on one end) So the deeper end for swimming is now a smaller area. Better for kiddies and loungers but not so good for actual swimming.

The pool with the slide is open but not beach adjacent. You can access beach and sit on chairs etc (near Boca Chica) but not open near construction/pool.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:59 AM   #3044
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Hello, everyone!! I'm posting a quick message for anyone wondering about the pool closure. There is a note about it on the front page of this thread (I think) that the Beach Pool is closed for a few days for repairs, starting this week. I know we discussed it, maybe I forgot to update the first page.

Gonna go find the info and then catch up with everyone when I get back.

ETA: found the info, here is what wdwmagic stated in March:

The Beach Pool will be closed from 30 May to 1 June 2013, reopening on 2 June 2013. The Beach Pool slide will be closed from 27 May to 1 June, reopening with the pool on 2 June 2013.

I didn't have it on the first page (or, maybe I had a link, but it's hard to find) so I'm doing that now. Sorry for any confusion.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser

Last edited by k&a&c'smom; 05-31-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:43 AM   #3045
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy's Mom View Post
I could be wrong, having only stayed there once, but I don't think the SL has any great views. Maybe one or two rooms perhaps. And I don't think SL has any lagoon views either. There are pool/garden views and marina views. Our marina view had a big tree in front but you could see the water, the monorail, and some building across the marina (Sago Cay). But nothing special.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: