Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 06:47 AM   #2821
MagicPrincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezaddict231 View Post
Really? I felt when we stayed Club level that they really did have some extra pull. They got everything we wanted at the times we wanted. We even had a bunch of large group reservations and it was not a problem. Even when we had changes it wasn't an issue. We were also able to get an illuminations cruise which I have never been able to get even calling right at the time the lines opened on our ADR day. We had a great experience using IPO.
I should add that we didn't start planning our trip until about 80 days out, so to try to get BOG or Ohana is next to impossible- unless I want to eat at bedtime I was hoping they could work some magic, but with that little time I totally understand.
The CM's are great- and they have always been very prompt with their responses back to me.

Grand Floridian Sugarloaf August 2010

Grand Floridian Summer 2013

Me DH DD DS
Old 04-26-2013, 07:26 AM   #2822
psac
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandReneePlus5 View Post
Josh is a raving lunatic who is almost always smashed on scotch! Just look at the logo on his blog! Avoid his advice or you will have VACATION RUINED AND MEMORIES LOST.
That's "literally" correct!!!

Past AKL-K Apr'14, BWV Nov'13, VWL/DCL Fantasy Sep'13, Poly CL Jul'13, AKL CL Apr'13, BWV Nov'12, BC CL Jun'12, BLT Apr'12, BWV Nov'11, CR Jul'11, BWI CL Nov'10, GF CL Apr'10, GF Apr'09, Omni Champ. Apr'07, POR Oct '03
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-26-2013, 08:08 AM   #2823
cgulls
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismyusername View Post
Thanks! I wonder if anyone who's been there now or recently has any thoughts? Does that noise go on all day long? I hate to cancel based upon one blog post from one day, but, on the same hand, I don't want to regret $125 either...
going into our stay last week, we had a cabana rented for a full day. After being there a couple days, we ended up cancelling the cabana and hanging out at the CY pool instead. The walls around the Beach Pool, the noise from next door (it wasn't horrible, but it was there), and the fact that the waterfall wasn't on reduced the appeal of the Beach Pool. We really liked the CY pool so we didn't feel as though we missed anything.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:23 AM   #2824
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

I hopped on this morning to say we just left the Grand and report about the pool and DVC construction, and found people up in arms! I haven't read all the posts, but thought I'd say - I've read the blog post everyone is discussing, and I thought it was hilarious!

As has been pointed out, this blogger has a candid style. He is more of a writer than a reviewer, to my mind. Someone who writes for the overall effect of the piece, rather than a black and white review of the resort, restaurant, etc.

I highly doubt anyone is stumbling on this one report and seeing it as an indictment of the Grand as a whole. We use easyWDW calendars and I've enjoyed the reviews on the site tremendously - goofy comments and all.

Oh, and I have some photos of the new courtyard pool fence being installed, along with Gasparilla's and Sandy Cove photos. When I get a chance, I'll upload and share. We had a wonderful stay at the Grand! There was some construction noise, but it didn't overly impact our stay. We didn't spend a lot of time out on the grounds, though, so I can't vouch for how it feels after hearing it for hours (in the pool, for instance - we swam once, for only about 2 hours).
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 04-26-2013, 08:27 AM   #2825
MagicPrincess
DIS Veteran

Can't wait to see the pictures! Hope you had a great time!!!

I just wanted to repost...
How much time should I allow for travel from GF to Epcot WS via monorail? I'm thinking it was about 90 minutes???
Thanks!

Me DH DD DS
Old 04-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #2826
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Oh, MagicPrincess, I don't think it is as long as that! If I recall, it is about 35-40 minutes from your room to Epcot's entrance, depending on how quickly the monorails arrive, and then the walk to WS. I think that can be done in about 5, if you can walk fast. I don't.

Let me ask my girls - they just rode from the Grand to Epcot yesterday. They would have a better estimate, I think.

BTW - on the front page, I have a link to a handy tool for determining travel times at WDW: http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/trans...portation1.cfm
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Old 04-26-2013, 09:51 AM   #2827
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

I'm having trouble uploading, but here are a few photos from yesterday, looking down on the courtyard pool from the main building. I have some that are ground level, close up photos of the new fence, from the inside of the fenced area. I'll post those when I have a better connection!:

Closer view of the work
Old 04-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #2828
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismyusername View Post
Yikes. Is that noise going on all day long? We have a cabana reservation in early June at the Beach Club pool. I'm kind of rethinking it if the pool's that noisy--I think we'd be better off headed over to the Courtyard pool instead and saving the $125 on the cabana. WWYD?
Quote:
Originally Posted by phyllis1966 View Post
On our trip this past October, we sprang for a cabana for the first time ever, and we loved it! It will be a new tradition for us. However, the construction is so close that I really don't think it would be money well spent to rent a cabana at this time - not with that amount of noise.

I definitely agree with phyllis - the cabanas are not a good value right now. We were in the Beach pool for a short time (mostly too cold, I forgot it isn't as warm as the courtyard pool!) and none of the cabanas were in use. The noise over there would prevent a soothing time spent, even if just the half day, and with the waterfall inoperable, the Beach pool just doesn't have the same feel.

In fact, with the zero entry and pop jets at the courtyard pool, there were as many if not more families over there now. They are doing the activities in the courtyard pool, not sure how long that is planned to continue.

ETA: cgulls, I see you had the same thoughts, I really should read through everything before I post! I'm not in love with the new courtyard pool, but as changes go, it isn't too bad. Hate that the zero entry has you in knee deep water halfway, and the deep end is so less deep - and it is now far more busy. But, still a pretty pool, and the new fence is far superior! However, I didn't see an exit gate near Boca, did you???

Last edited by k&a&c'smom; 04-26-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:31 PM   #2829
cgulls
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
I definitely agree with phyllis - the cabanas are not a good value right now. We were in the Beach pool for a short time (mostly too cold, I forgot it isn't as warm as the courtyard pool!) and none of the cabanas were in use. The noise over there would prevent a soothing time spent, even if just the half day, and with the waterfall inoperable, the Beach pool just doesn't have the same feel.

In fact, with the zero entry and pop jets at the courtyard pool, there were as many if not more families over there now. They are doing the activities in the courtyard pool, not sure how long that is planned to continue.

ETA: cgulls, I see you had the same thoughts, I really should read through everything before I post! I'm not in love with the new courtyard pool, but as changes go, it isn't too bad. Hate that the zero entry has you in knee deep water halfway, and the deep end is so less deep - and it is now far more busy. But, still a pretty pool, and the new fence is far superior! However, I didn't see an exit gate near Boca, did you???
Yes, there is an exit gate near Boca. The fence opens at the back of the walkway between the pool bar and the bathrooms. So, it opens up to the area where Boca meets Big Pine.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:34 PM   #2830
cgulls
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicPrincess View Post
Can't wait to see the pictures! Hope you had a great time!!!

I just wanted to repost...
How much time should I allow for travel from GF to Epcot WS via monorail? I'm thinking it was about 90 minutes???
Thanks!
Hi, these guys have an app that estimates travel times from point to point at WDW using different modes of transportation.

http://www.ourlaughingplace.com/ipho...x#.UXrWJbXU_kU

And 90 minutes sounds high from GF to Epcot. The TWIZ app says 40 minutes to the Epcot turnstiles (so, add your walking time from the front entrance to your destination in World Showcase).
Old 04-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #2831
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgulls View Post
Yes, there is an exit gate near Boca. The fence opens at the back of the walkway between the pool bar and the bathrooms. So, it opens up to the area where Boca meets Big Pine.
Oh, thanks - good to know. I didn't walk around the whole pool, just on the main building side. While we were in the pool, we alternated between pool and hot tub, so still didn't end up on that side of the pool.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:04 PM   #2832
WDW1970
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post

I may have missed it but does anyone know when the beach pool waterfall will be operational again? Are they refurbishing it or is there another reason it is not operating right now?

Thanks!
Old 04-26-2013, 06:11 PM   #2833
thisismyusername
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom

Thank you so much for your feedback! I think I'll cancel the reservation and we'll hang by the other pool instead. I'm bummed, but want to make sure it's an enjoyable and relaxing experience.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #2834
MagicPrincess
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone! I remember running to the Biergarten one time because we were late- couldn't remember how much time we gave ourselves- maybe an hour is plenty! ))

Me DH DD DS
Old 04-26-2013, 09:24 PM   #2835
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Those that nay say the Grand, I always ask, "Have you stayed there?"

The majority never have,......... enough said.

Here are a few photos of what the Villas rooms are suppose to look like.

http://dvcnews.com/index.php/compone...el-room-photos
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: