Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #2731
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhongepooh View Post
So we are set to arrive in 45 more days for our first trip to the Grand as our usual hotel is the Contemporary but there were no openings when I made the reservations. We have a garden view room. I have a couple of questions:

1. Is there a building that is better than another? We'd like one as close to the main building as possible.

2. My aunt LOVES to sit on the balcony and people watch. Will she be able to see anything with a garden view?

3. I've been spoiled by the contemporary running down on the elevator to refill my mugs . How big of a deal is it going to be getting to GG?

Thanks in advance for the advice
Welcome! Sorry your favorite resort was booked, but congrats on booking the Grand, I think you will love the resort.

All the outer buildings are fairly close to the main building, the resort isn't very big. Big Pine Key is the closest to the main back door leading to the lobby, and is close to the themed pool. Sago Cay is closest to Gasparillas and the bus stop; Conch Key is closest to the boat dock; Boca Chica is closest to the courtyard pool. As you can see, all the buildings have their good points!

With a garden view, you will either be looking at the courtyard pool or the marina, or the back side of Sago Cay is a slight possibility. People watching is quite easy with the courtyard, less so with marina view and not at all possible with the monorail side of Sago - but you get to watch the monorail go by, which is popular with kids. If you want a view of the courtyard pool, be sure to request that on your reservation and again at check in. Be aware, there are some rooms in Big Pine Key that look right into the back of the pool house.

There are several places to fill the mugs - GG and both pool bars (beach pool bar is self serve now). They aren't an elevator ride away, but with the length of time we've spent waiting on a CR elevator, it could be just as quick! It shouldn't be much of an issue.

If you have any more questions, just ask!
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser

Last edited by k&a&c'smom; 04-14-2013 at 10:13 AM. Reason: typo!
Old 04-14-2013, 01:06 PM   #2732
tommylicious
Earning My Ears

I think the fence stays, but that netting comes off. Perhaps some kind of safety code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink rules View Post
This is the picture of the fence with the plastic ties... does NOT look permanent...

& THIS is the picture of the fence by the spa... MUCH more with the themeing of the grand...

Lets hope it looks like that!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-14-2013, 01:20 PM   #2733
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisamymc View Post
We check in to our first GF stay tomorrow! So excited!
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Old 04-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #2734
Rhongepooh
I must ponder this news

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post

Welcome! Sorry your favorite resort was booked, but congrats on booking the Grand, I think you will love the resort.

All the outer buildings are fairly close to the main building, the resort isn't very big. Big Pine Key is the closest to the main back door leading to the lobby, and is close to the themed pool. Sago Cay is closest to Gasparillas and the bus stop; Conch Key is closest to the boat dock; Boca Chica is closest to the courtyard pool. As you can see, all the buildings have their good points!

With a garden view, you will either be looking at the courtyard pool or the marina, or the back side of Sago Cay is a slight possibility. People watching is quite easy with the courtyard, less so with marina view and not at all possible with the monorail side of Sago - but you get to watch the monorail go by, which is popular with kids. If you want a view of the courtyard pool, be sure to request that on your reservation and again at check in. Be aware, there are some rooms in Big Pine Key that look right into the back of the pool house.

There are several places to fill the mugs - GG and both pool bars (beach pool bar is self serve now). They aren't an elevator ride away, but with the length of time we've spent waiting on a CR elevator, it could be just as quick! It shouldn't be much of an issue.

If you have any more questions, just ask!
Thanks! Like I said the Contemporary is where we usually stay but it wasn't available, I'm excited too though because it has always been one of those bucket list things!
Old 04-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #2735
sotoalf
DIS Veteran

Hi, thread!

Anyone taken recent photos of Mizner's? Thanks!
Old 04-15-2013, 12:01 PM   #2736
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhongepooh View Post
Thanks! Like I said the Contemporary is where we usually stay but it wasn't available, I'm excited too though because it has always been one of those bucket list things!
Well, yay for the opportunity! In a way, it's kind of nice when that happens, you may find a new favorite. On the other hand, then you are in a quandary as to which resort to choose on the next trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotoalf View Post
Hi, thread!

Anyone taken recent photos of Mizner's? Thanks!
Hi back atcha!

I think I have some from last August, but nothing since the switch to quick serve and back again. I'll be there in a couple weeks, though, and plan to take lots of photos of all the new-ness.

We make several visits to Mizner's in a trip, so I'm sure I'll remember to get those!
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Old 04-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #2737
DetTigsGal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhongepooh
So we are set to arrive in 45 more days for our first trip to the Grand as our usual hotel is the Contemporary but there were no openings when I made the reservations. We have a garden view room. I have a couple of questions:

1. Is there a building that is better than another? We'd like one as close to the main building as possible.

2. My aunt LOVES to sit on the balcony and people watch. Will she be able to see anything with a garden view?

3. I've been spoiled by the contemporary running down on the elevator to refill my mugs . How big of a deal is it going to be getting to GG?

Thanks in advance for the advice
We used to stay at the contemporary, but it was full one time and we used that opportunity to try the Grand. Now, it's our resort of choice. So happy to be back June 25-July 6!! Some of you may remember this past Thanksgiving we stayed WLCL because of the construction. Had a great time, but happy to be returning to the Grand.
CR - 1996 (DS19 1st Trip), 1999 (DS14 1st Trip), 2003, 2007
GF - 2009, 2010
Grand Californian - 2011 (DS19 Graduation Trip)
WL CL - 2012
Old 04-15-2013, 04:50 PM   #2738
WDWOswald
Mouseketeer

Checked out of the GF today after a two night stay.

Oh. My. God.

There are not enough superlatives that could describe how perfect it was. The best two days if my life. Endlessly perfect in every way. By FAR the nicest Disney resort and maybe the best overall resort if the country. I've been to a lot of top rated places. The floridian smokes them all. Insane.

Paid for a garden view and ended up in boca chica facing the lagoon with a view of the contemporary, poly, and the magic kingdom including the castle. It was serene and quiet. We were treated like royalty. Narcoossees prepared us the best seafood we have ever tasted. Gaspsrilla's is quick service with a view of the castle. All the other guests were lovely people. Conceirge was pitch perfect. The courtyard pool and hot tub are AMAZING. The smell, the ambiance, the music, the lighting are all magical. Watching wishes from the marina was a perfectly serene experience.

The room was huge by any standard and beautifully decorated and way nicer in person than in photos. Perfectly clean. Housekeeping was outstanding. I would feel guilty paying any less than Disney is asking for the grand. It is that good.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #2739
mariamouse
Believes in the magic!!
Should know the difference between the Tag Fairy and Tinkerbell!!! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWOswald View Post

Oh. My. God.

There are not enough superlatives that could describe how perfect it was. The best two days if my life. Endlessly perfect in every way. By FAR the nicest Disney resort and maybe the best overall resort if the country. I've been to a lot of top rated places. The floridian smokes them all. Insane.

Paid for a garden view and ended up in boca chica facing the lagoon with a view of the contemporary, poly, and the magic kingdom including the castle. It was serene and quiet. We were treated like royalty. Narcoossees prepared us the best seafood we have ever tasted. Gaspsrilla's is quick service with a view of the castle. All the other guests were lovely people. Conceirge was pitch perfect. The courtyard pool and hot tub are AMAZING. The smell, the ambiance, the music, the lighting are all magical. Watching wishes from the marina was a perfectly serene experience.

The room was huge by any standard and beautifully decorated and way nicer in person than in photos. Perfectly clean. Housekeeping was outstanding. I would feel guilty paying any less than Disney is asking for the grand. It is that good.
Wow! So glad to hear that you had a perfect stay.
GF GV- January 2014, BCV- January 2013, GF LV- December 2011, AKL PV & GF GV- February 2007, BWI WV CL- February 2006, AKL SV- February 2005, Polynesian GV- February 2004, WL WV & Polynesian GV- November 2002, BC GV- February 2002, CR GV- February 2001, POFQ- February 1996, CBR- February 1994
Old 04-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #2740
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetTigsGal View Post
We used to stay at the contemporary, but it was full one time and we used that opportunity to try the Grand. Now, it's our resort of choice. So happy to be back June 25-July 6!! Some of you may remember this past Thanksgiving we stayed WLCL because of the construction. Had a great time, but happy to be returning to the Grand.
YAY for your June trip! It is hard to book anywhere else, isn't it? We love several WDW resorts but usually end up booking at least a split stay.

Quote:

Oh. My. God.

Welcome back! I'm glad you had such a magical stay, the resort is wonderful, isn't it? Congrats on the upgrade!

I must say, though, I have never felt guilty getting a discount. More money to spend elsewhere in the World.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:41 PM   #2741
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Oh. My. God.

Wow! That is a glowing review! Glad you had such a nice stay.

Back into GF thread lurk mode.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Old 04-15-2013, 08:42 PM   #2742
Candy Orlando
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Oh. My. God.

The Grand is Magical and you got some Pixie Dust. I loved reading your fabulous review.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:47 AM   #2743
cm8
Half of the time we're rushing around to get things done last minute or we realize we're running behind so we need to catch up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Orlando View Post
The Grand is Magical and you got some Pixie Dust. I loved reading your fabulous review.

"I have placed the Lord ever before me. Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken." Psalm 16:8

Old 04-16-2013, 08:38 AM   #2744
sydneysmom
ready to go back to Disney..... NOW!

Quote:

Oh. My. God.

Trust me, you're NEVER going to want to stay any place else now!! So glad your trip was wonderful !!!

How was the courtyard pool ? it's been getting mixed reviews.... to me, I think it looks really nice! (maybe not the fence, but the pool looks like they did a great job)

2010 : Grand Floridian and MNSSHP
2013 : Grand Floridian and DH's birthday!
2016 : First trip to Universal
Old 04-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #2745
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneysmom View Post
Trust me, you're NEVER going to want to stay any place else now!!
They are at BWI now, but maybe they'll switch back
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: