Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #2701
mariamouse
Believes in the magic!!
Should know the difference between the Tag Fairy and Tinkerbell!!! ;)

So does anyone know how likely it is that the VGF will be open by January 2014?

I read on the DVC board that the villas will start going on sale in May/June. Is this the same thing as DVC owners being able to book specific dates? What has typically been the time lag between a new DVC property's going on sale and the property actually opening its doors to guests?

Thanks!
GF GV- January 2014, BCV- January 2013, GF LV- December 2011, AKL PV & GF GV- February 2007, BWI WV CL- February 2006, AKL SV- February 2005, Polynesian GV- February 2004, WL WV & Polynesian GV- November 2002, BC GV- February 2002, CR GV- February 2001, POFQ- February 1996, CBR- February 1994
Old 04-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #2702
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

mariamouse, I hope someone familiar with DVC will come along to answer your questions. If BCV23 pops in, she can help, I'm quite sure. I am clueless when it comes to the details for DVC.

I'd love to know the answers, too, so I hope anyone who has a good idea, has heard a rumor, or has the inside scoop can give us some info.

sydneysmom, I couldn't have said it better! Your trip will be here before you know it!
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-10-2013, 10:19 PM   #2703
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

There is speculation that the fence that is there now is not the permanent one.

Sort of like when they put the carpeting down while they worked on the floors...

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Old 04-11-2013, 12:11 AM   #2704
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladisneylady View Post
Does the Grand Floridian have a dedicated shuttle from the airport for their guests only?
The time I used the DME it was shared with Poly, GF, CR & WL. But there were only around 6 families on the bus.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Old 04-11-2013, 08:10 AM   #2705
BCV23

Loves the magic of the trains
Would enjoy a magical meal at the castle
Loves the name Hatuey!

mariamouse, last I looked the DVC site still said the villas would open late in 2013. I have seen speculation on the boards that construction appears to be behind but that is truly speculation. Who knows.

I can tell you BCV went on sale on 2/3/2002 and opened in early July of that year....7/1 I think. My younger son and I walked through BCV the morning it opened although we were actually flying home that day. I know BCV opened for sales on 2/3 as that it part of the reason I chose my DIS name. It stood for that date as well as our family (2 parents, 3 children). I have rued that name choice but I digress.

In the past, when a new property went on sale, dates were set for booking. Those who had purchased the new property had first shot at booking. All other DVC owners could try not too much later. It seems to be it has not been much of a lag...maybe a week or two? There are people on the DVC boards who have much more knowledge than I about the history of DVC openings.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #2706
sydneysmom
ready to go back to Disney..... NOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom;48070177
[b
sydneysmom[/b], I couldn't have said it better! Your trip will be here before you know it!
I sure hope so! Because I'm way too excited to sleep!! But I do remember when my ticker was 565 days, so we are for sure getting close now!! So close... I can taste a Mickey ice cream bar!

Off topic a bit, I just want to thank you so much for doing such an amazing job on this thread... it's truly because of this thread that we tried the GF in the first place...and because of this thread that we can't go anywhere else! But seriously, it's such a wealth of information and you do such a great job. and everyone on here is just so wonderful and helpful. It's fun to be a part of this group!!

2010 : Grand Floridian and MNSSHP
2013 : Grand Floridian and DH's birthday!
2016 : First trip to Universal
Old 04-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #2707
BCV23

Loves the magic of the trains
Would enjoy a magical meal at the castle
Loves the name Hatuey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneysmom View Post

Off topic a bit, I just want to thank you so much for doing such an amazing job on this thread... it's truly because of this thread that we tried the GF in the first place...and because of this thread that we can't go anywhere else! But seriously, it's such a wealth of information and you do such a great job. and everyone on here is just so wonderful and helpful. It's fun to be a part of this group!!
Well said, sydneysmom! k&a&c'smom does a terrific job. And it is a great group here. Everyone is positive and helpful with no cliques! Love it!
Old 04-11-2013, 09:59 AM   #2708
mariamouse
Believes in the magic!!
Should know the difference between the Tag Fairy and Tinkerbell!!! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCV23 View Post
mariamouse, last I looked the DVC site still said the villas would open late in 2013. I have seen speculation on the boards that construction appears to be behind but that is truly speculation. Who knows.

I can tell you BCV went on sale on 2/3/2002 and opened in early July of that year....7/1 I think. My younger son and I walked through BCV the morning it opened although we were actually flying home that day. I know BCV opened for sales on 2/3 as that it part of the reason I chose my DIS name. It stood for that date as well as our family (2 parents, 3 children). I have rued that name choice but I digress.

In the past, when a new property went on sale, dates were set for booking. Those who had purchased the new property had first shot at booking. All other DVC owners could try not too much later. It seems to be it has not been much of a lag...maybe a week or two? There are people on the DVC boards who have much more knowledge than I about the history of DVC openings.
Thank you so much for the helpful info (as always)! Based on your BCV experience, it sounds like it would not out of the question for the VGF to open by late 2013 if it does go on sale within the next couple of months. We likely do not want to stay in the villas in Jan 2014 anyway, but was just curious if we could expect those extra guests at the resort then.

That is such a nice story about your username (despite your regrets)! Trust me-- I completely relate. I created my username when I joined at age 11 and, twelve years later, I think it is the cheesiest thing ever. Wish I could change it without losing all of my past posts!

Quote:
Well said, sydneysmom! k&a&c'smom does a terrific job. And it is a great group here. Everyone is positive and helpful with no cliques! Love it!
Agreed!! Such a friendly chilled-out group of posters on here. That's why I keep coming back even when we are not planning a stay at the GF!
GF GV- January 2014, BCV- January 2013, GF LV- December 2011, AKL PV & GF GV- February 2007, BWI WV CL- February 2006, AKL SV- February 2005, Polynesian GV- February 2004, WL WV & Polynesian GV- November 2002, BC GV- February 2002, CR GV- February 2001, POFQ- February 1996, CBR- February 1994
Old 04-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #2709
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink rules View Post
There is speculation that the fence that is there now is not the permanent one.

Sort of like when they put the carpeting down while they worked on the floors...
Ooh, interesting! I hope this is true, and they plan on installing a less conspicuous fence. I have to confess, it sort of stands out like a sore thumb, to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
The time I used the DME it was shared with Poly, GF, CR & WL. But there were only around 6 families on the bus.
How long ago was your experience? I ask because I will be using DME in a couple weeks and wonder what resorts are on the route now.

I didn't post earlier, but one night when we got in very late (nearly midnight) we had CR/Poly/GF, but also the Port Orleans resorts - so 4 stops before getting to the Grand! I know it was due to the low number of guests on the bus, but it was still frustrating, we were tired and just wanted to get in our room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneysmom View Post
I sure hope so! Because I'm way too excited to sleep!! But I do remember when my ticker was 565 days, so we are for sure getting close now!! So close... I can taste a Mickey ice cream bar!

... everyone on here is just so wonderful and helpful. It's fun to be a part of this group!!
Wow, that was a long wait! I can't imagine planning for so many months, I have a hard time waiting 3 or 4. I am impressed.

Thank you so much for the sweet words, and I agree, everyone here is wonderful and so knowledgeable.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariamouse View Post
Thank you so much for the helpful info (as always)! Based on your BCV experience, it sounds like it would not out of the question for the VGF to open by late 2013 if it does go on sale within the next couple of months. We likely do not want to stay in the villas in Jan 2014 anyway, but was just curious if we could expect those extra guests at the resort then.

That is such a nice story about your username (despite your regrets)! Trust me-- I completely relate. I created my username when I joined at age 11 and, twelve years later, I think it is the cheesiest thing ever. Wish I could change it without losing all of my past posts!

Agreed!! Such a friendly chilled-out group of posters on here. That's why I keep coming back even when we are not planning a stay at the GF!
Thanks to you both for your kind words. It IS a great group here, I'm so glad to be a part of it.

I had to quote your response to BCV23, our resident DVC expert. I knew she would have the answer if anyone did. We are so lucky to have her years of experience to help us navigate this new phase of the Grand Floridian! Can't wait for her first stay in the VGF, so we can get a review.

I laughed at both your comments regarding usernames, I kick myself for mine. I had never posted on a message board and had NO idea I (and everyone else) would have to type this silly thing over and over and over. My DIS friends from way back shortened it to kacsmom - why I didn't think of that, I don't know.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 04-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #2710
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

This is the fence they installed over by the spa...

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Old 04-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #2711
WDWOswald
Mouseketeer

Checking into the grand floridian on Saturday.

Please let me know if there is anything you want photos of or any questions you have about things happening on property. I'd be happy to help!
Old 04-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #2712
WDW1970
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
Thanks, Cali-D, what great info! I went to the link, but need to take some time to read the disclaimer page before I commit. I will look it over in a bit.

I wonder why they chose to eliminate a planned extra bathroom? I'm sure people will be disappointed, an extra bath is an exciting prospect for most families.

WDW1970 - to the DIS!!

After the change in room categories a few years ago, it became more difficult to figure out what rooms WDW considered lagoon and which they felt were theme park view. I assume there are some lagoon view rooms in each of the outer buildings (except Sugar Loaf) but I don't know that for sure.

I believe some of the BPK-end rooms in Boca are considered lagoon, simply from posts of returning guests. If the view of the MK is totally blocked in any room facing the lagoon, that room should be a lagoon view, IMO.

All of the photos of the lagoon views from BPK have the DVC construction featured pretty prominently, so each guest will have to decide if it will mar the view of the Poly to the extent they prefer another room. For me, I'd much rather have a garden view room, as the views of the resort are so pretty. I felt that way even without the construction, btw.

I have never seen a room layout diagram like the one for WL. From what I gather, the WL layout was provided to a DISer who was friends with someone high up at the resort years ago. There are some diagrams for a few other resorts on a website called DisneyZone, but the Grand isn't one of them. I know the layouts for Y&BC on that site are a bit outdated at this point, but it still gives some insight as to where you might end up.
Thanks for the welcome and information k&a&c'smom!!

For anyone that has recently stayed in a Big Pine lagoon view room how was the construction in your opinion? While I am sure it would be better once the construction is complete does it overwhelm the view or is it still a great view given lagoon/poly "to the left".

Thanks!!
Old 04-12-2013, 06:17 AM   #2713
MommyGina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWOswald View Post
Checking into the grand floridian on Saturday.

Please let me know if there is anything you want photos of or any questions you have about things happening on property. I'd be happy to help!
Please check out the refillable mugs. What do they look like. I think many of us are hoping to have new ones this year. They have been the same for two years now. Most of all, have a wonderful time and a safe trip! Send pictures if you can!
Old 04-12-2013, 06:39 AM   #2714
dreamcruiser
Mouseketeer

The fence (possibly being a temporary one) referred to in the above posts...is it the one around the CY pool being referred to?

10 more days and we're checking in!!! Just cannot wait!!
Old 04-12-2013, 09:23 AM   #2715
Sue M
DIS Veteran

k&a&c'smom 2010 when we stayed at Poly. We flew in late afternoon, and had a short 5 min wait for DME. They're were only around 6 families on the bus. After everyone was on we left for wdw. And it was just the MK area resorts for the drop offs. We were the only ones getting off at Poly.

We rarely use DME coming in because we usually fly into Lauderdale to visit family first, then drive up to wdw, but this trip we did it in reverse, so flew into MCO.

I was very pleased with DME. No waiting on bus for more people, that some report, and when we arrived, we went to our room to chance into bathing suits for a did into the pool, then when we got back to our room our luggage was there. We were gone not even an hour.

Our other trip we flew in, jan 2012 for WL stay we used DME too, and again, only MK resorts on bus.

I'm really surprised that there was a POR drop off on your DME. It must have been a fluke.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: