Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 06:57 AM   #2671
Jeannegirl326
Earning My Ears

Do the rooms in the GF have night lights in the bathrooms? Thx
Old 04-05-2013, 07:50 AM   #2672
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
I noticed you have a dog, and wanted to let you know Lilies are very toxic to pets. Even if a leaf falls off and ends on the floor where the dog can get it, or the pollen.

I didn't know this and have 2 cats & a dog. A friend bought me a flower arrangement with Lily in it for Easter, and another friend told me about the toxic thing to cats & dogs. The effect is similar to ingesting antifreeze. And by the time they show symptoms it's too late.
Thanks for this info, I know there are many plants and foods that are toxic to animals - seems I find a new one every day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamcruiser View Post
Ah well....my bad~
Good try, though! An upgrade to RPC WOULD be worth that view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannegirl326 View Post
Do the rooms in the GF have night lights in the bathrooms? Thx
No, I usually just leave the bathroom light on and pull the door to - but bringing a night light is a good idea. I don't remember a plug in for the bathroom area, but you could put it in the sink/dressing area.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #2673
sydneysmom
ready to go back to Disney..... NOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
No, I usually just leave the bathroom light on and pull the door to - but bringing a night light is a good idea. I don't remember a plug in for the bathroom area, but you could put it in the sink/dressing area.

That's exactly what we did...we went and got a nightlight from the Dollar Store and plugged it in by the sink. It gave enough light without disturbing anyone. It's funny, I got it for my DD (who was 4 1/2 at the time) in case she had to run to the bathroom in the middle of the night.... I was wrong... with all the excitement and walking around, she fell asleep and didn't wake up until morning!

2010 : Grand Floridian and MNSSHP
2013 : Grand Floridian and DH's birthday!
2016 : First trip to Universal
Old 04-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #2674
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

sydney'smom - I wouldn't even have to go buy one, we have TONS of night lights here at home. We originally had one in each bathroom for the kids, but as DH and I age, we have them all over the house near the floor, like landing strips.

I could throw one in my toiletries bag - in fact, I think I'll go do that right now. I don't know why it has never occurred to me, thanks Jeannegirl326!
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Old 04-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #2675
CaliforniaDreaming
#1 Grand Floridian Fan/Expert

There was a VGF filing with Orange County, complete with some floorplans. Interesting and answers a lot of questions. I see they eliminated the second bath in the one bedroom units, and there will be four bedroom units in that front portion facing the lagoon.

See this post for instructions of how to pull the document up: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=159
Old 04-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #2676
WDW1970
Earning My Ears

Looking for Information on GF Room Locations

Great information on this board. We are going to be at the GF in June 2013 and had a few questions relating to room locations, etc. I have literally been through hundreds of posts which have been a great help but I could not find information that was exactly on point to the following questions (any help would be greatly appreciated!):

1. We have booked a lagoon view room (LV only - no theme park view) and would like to know which buildings offer this view. I know Big Pine does but could not tell if any others do. I know Boca Chica faces the lagoon but I could not tell if all of the Boca Chica rooms are theme park views or do they have some with just lagoon view. Are there any other buildings besides BP and BC that offer lagoon view only rooms?

2. For those who have stayed in a Big Pine lagoon view room since the DVC construction began does this ruin the entire view or is the view still nice looking over to the poly, etc.

3. Does anyone have or know where to find a room number layout to each of the GF buildings. I have seen the map of the buildings but can't find something that shows exact individual room number locations. I am surprised this has not been put on the boards somewhere. There is a nice room number layout for the Wilderness Lodge under their FAQ thread and was hoping to find something similar for the GF.

Thanks for any information you can provide!!
Old 04-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #2677
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Thanks, Cali-D, what great info! I went to the link, but need to take some time to read the disclaimer page before I commit. I will look it over in a bit.

I wonder why they chose to eliminate a planned extra bathroom? I'm sure people will be disappointed, an extra bath is an exciting prospect for most families.

WDW1970 - to the DIS!!

After the change in room categories a few years ago, it became more difficult to figure out what rooms WDW considered lagoon and which they felt were theme park view. I assume there are some lagoon view rooms in each of the outer buildings (except Sugar Loaf) but I don't know that for sure.

I believe some of the BPK-end rooms in Boca are considered lagoon, simply from posts of returning guests. If the view of the MK is totally blocked in any room facing the lagoon, that room should be a lagoon view, IMO.

All of the photos of the lagoon views from BPK have the DVC construction featured pretty prominently, so each guest will have to decide if it will mar the view of the Poly to the extent they prefer another room. For me, I'd much rather have a garden view room, as the views of the resort are so pretty. I felt that way even without the construction, btw.

I have never seen a room layout diagram like the one for WL. From what I gather, the WL layout was provided to a DISer who was friends with someone high up at the resort years ago. There are some diagrams for a few other resorts on a website called DisneyZone, but the Grand isn't one of them. I know the layouts for Y&BC on that site are a bit outdated at this point, but it still gives some insight as to where you might end up.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #2678
mariamouse
Believes in the magic!!
Should know the difference between the Tag Fairy and Tinkerbell!!! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommylicious View Post
Just got back from 8 nights at the GF. 3 in a Deluxe Garden and 5 in a Theme Park View. The property is fabulous, but the beauty of the exterior and grounds does not carry through to the rooms themselves. The rooms, while fine, are more of a 1994 interpretation of Victorian decor. The phones in the bathrooms are 3 different colors of oxidized plastic. There are no HDMI connections on the TVs. There are no DVD players in the room. The carpets are tired. The fabrics are tired. The wifi is barely 2mbps on a good day. Ie, it's time for a big redecoration/renovation of the interiors IMO in order to match the quality of the exterior and grounds, so that the beauty isn't just skin deep. Anyone else?
I thought I had read somewhere that the GF was about to (or had already) undergo(ne) room refurbishments (i.e. the same white duvets that the Epcot resorts and Poly now have). Was I imagining this? We are considering either the Poly or GF this January and room refurbishment might make the difference in our choice. Is the Poly room refurbishment already complete?

And it's been a while since I last checked in here, so hi all!
GF GV- January 2014, BCV- January 2013, GF LV- December 2011, AKL PV & GF GV- February 2007, BWI WV CL- February 2006, AKL SV- February 2005, Polynesian GV- February 2004, WL WV & Polynesian GV- November 2002, BC GV- February 2002, CR GV- February 2001, POFQ- February 1996, CBR- February 1994
Old 04-07-2013, 08:09 PM   #2679
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

From what I've heard.. it's supposed to be done after the Poly gets it's rooms redone and they are in the midst of the refurb now.

No exact dates though... Disney doesn't give them...

They usually go about 6-7 years before a refurb so they are due.

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Old 04-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #2680
MagicPrincess
DIS Veteran

We booked our summer vacation this morning! GF Sugarloaf here we come! YAY!!!!
This time we are not telling our kids until the day before we leave...I don't know how I am going to keep this a secret from them for the next 3 months- ACK! I'm so excited!!!

Grand Floridian Sugarloaf August 2010

Grand Floridian Summer 2013

Me DH DD DS
Old 04-08-2013, 06:41 AM   #2681
MommyGina
DIS Veteran

MagicPrincess - Congratulations on booking your Grand Floridian SL vacation! I could never keep a secret from my kids like that. I'm more excited than they are! They would know that something was up.

You will enjoy SL. My kids love it there. They don't want to stay on any other property. It has to be the GF or nothing. I think I spoiled them. We are now in double digits as of today for our trip to the GF. 99 days and counting.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:16 AM   #2682
MagicPrincess
DIS Veteran

Thanks! We loved SL back in 2010, thought about going elsewhere by just couldn't do it! LOL I'm sure my kids will know something is up, but what a great surprise it will be if we can pull it off!!! Can't wait to see their faces!!!

Grand Floridian Sugarloaf August 2010

Grand Floridian Summer 2013

Me DH DD DS
Old 04-08-2013, 07:43 AM   #2683
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

mariamouse - Hey, you!! How have you been?

I think you dreamed it. Just kidding - I think Cali-D may have mentioned a rumor about a room refurb coming soon. Or maybe I dreamed THAT!

The dreaded white duvets.~sigh~ Oh, well, I've never been much of a fan of the GF bedspread.

MommyGina - 99 days will go by before you know it.

MagicPrincess - Hope you are better able to keep a secret than me - I'm with MommyGina, terrible at keeping vacation secrets.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:12 AM   #2684
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBird View Post
Well so I came home today to a big box from Enviroscents on my front step!

I was almost as hyper as when it's time to leave for the Grand.

I plugged it in and took a sniff of the air and then I wasn't sure if it was right or not. Of course I'd been reading the directions and sort of smelling it in the canister at the same time so I could have been overwhelmed.

I have it in my foyer, which has a vaulted ceiling to the second floor. The scent is VERY strong. My house is right at 3400 sq ft and I can smell it in almost every room upstairs and down. I even turned it down about an hour ago because it was-- *gasp*-- a little strong.

After it had run for an hour, I wanted to test it out to see if I thought I had the same reaction, that maybe it wasn't the right scent, so I went outside with the dog for a bit. When I came back into the house, I opened the door, closed my eyes and stepped in.....
WHAM!!!! It's the GRAND!!!!!!!

I think the difference is that the GF lobby has a ton of lilies in different arrangements and that is what gives a different scent to it. Lilies are my favorite flower and usually I have a fresh arrangement on my dining room table of them but today of course I have the type doesn't smell. I'm pretty sure if I had some of the oriental lilies or star gazers, yep, the scent would be I-dentical! (My Cousin Vinny, anyone? )

My DD 10-- the one who refuses to step onto WDW property if she isn't staying at the GF-- when she came in, I told her to walk in and smell the air and tell me what she thought. She squealed and said "MOM!! It's the Grand!!"

So there you have it! I'm waiting on my other two kids to come in from school to get their reactions. I'll let you know what they think.

If anyone wants to order a machine---- I have a code to share to get 20% off of it. Brings the total to $159. That's the machine and one canister. A canister will last for about a month. Just send me a PM and I'll share it with you!
Jo so happy for you sounds lovely. Enjoy

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
Old 04-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #2685
mariamouse
Believes in the magic!!
Should know the difference between the Tag Fairy and Tinkerbell!!! ;)

[QUOTE=k&a&c'smom;48041989]mariamouse - Hey, you!! How have you been?

I think you dreamed it. Just kidding - I think Cali-D may have mentioned a rumor about a room refurb coming soon. Or maybe I dreamed THAT!

The dreaded white duvets.~sigh~ Oh, well, I've never been much of a fan of the GF bedspread.
[QUOTE]

Well hello to you too, k&a&c's mom! So nice to see that you are still active on here and providing so many DISers with your endless GF knowledge! This thread is lucky to have you.

We returned from a stay at the BCV this past January and I have not really checked in on the DIS since then since the DIS immediately after a trip sometimes makes me feel a little bit too nostalgic. But, now that we are potentially planning a trip for Jan 2014, I can start getting into excited planning mode again!

We had a fantastic December stay at the GF about 1.5 years ago, but we were a bit dismayed at how worn our room looked-- threads hanging off furniture, shower grime, etc. We also didn't find the bedding that comfortable and those quilts are so heavy! What is it about the white duvets that you dread? We haven't stayed in a room with them yet, but I think the pics of the renovated BC/YC/BWI rooms look great. Not sure about the comfort factor, though.

I think we are leaning toward the Poly this time around due to the fact that the rooms will have been recently renovated, plus it has been longer since we've stayed there. That being said, I am a little concerned that there may be exterior work happening when we want to visit (due to all of the hot tub/volcano pool/GCH/DVC rumors). Guess we will play it by ear once further information is released!

What's new with you?! Hope all is great!
GF GV- January 2014, BCV- January 2013, GF LV- December 2011, AKL PV & GF GV- February 2007, BWI WV CL- February 2006, AKL SV- February 2005, Polynesian GV- February 2004, WL WV & Polynesian GV- November 2002, BC GV- February 2002, CR GV- February 2001, POFQ- February 1996, CBR- February 1994
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: