Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 06:11 AM   #2626
dreamcruiser
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommylicious View Post
I heard chatter on property that you will need a GF key to get into the pool so that it doesn't get overrun by DVC from the villas.
I thought the whole purpose of the reno was to "upgrade" for those staying at DVC? :
Old 04-02-2013, 06:22 AM   #2627
MommyGina
DIS Veteran

I'm not loving the new pool either. I really don't like the look of the fence around the pool. Makes you feel like you are in a zoo being all caged up. To me, the fence has taken away from the beauty of the grounds of the GF. The grounds always felt very open and flowing. Not so with the fence now.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-02-2013, 07:57 AM   #2628
eromzek
Earning My Ears

Need HELP!! June Honeymoon Room Type

Hello All,

I need some help.. as I have never stayed in the GF main building and am conflicted on price vs room type..

I currently have a King Deluxe Room, main building CL, booked for my honeymoon in June for 5 nights..using the AA rate. I called this morning to apply the recent Visa discount, and unfortunately it cannot be applied to this room type .

However, for (literally) $1,000 less, I can book a regular Deluxe room, main building CL.. however I have no idea what type of view I could get with this type of room.

$1000 is alot, but ever since I booked this months ago I had my heart set on the beautiful octagon view king room.. and just have no idea whether a 'regular' deluxe room with 2 queens would provide the same view/atmosphere for a honeymoon!!

Can someone who knows these rooms provide some advise??
Old 04-02-2013, 08:32 AM   #2629
Duffy Lover
My Babies Love Their Disney Bears

Quote:
I heard chatter on property that you will need a GF key to get into the pool so that it doesn't get overrun by DVC from the villas.
I don't think they are putting in a pool specifically for the GF DVC. I would imagine that both the pools at the original GF will be available for us for the DVCers staying at the GFV. I wouldn't be surprised if pool hopping is no longer available to all DVC members. As of right now the GF is not listed as a restricted pool in terms of DVC members, but I bet that is coming!

CR '80 ** POLY '84 ** FW '91 ** POFQ '04~Last trip w/Gramps ** POP '07~E's 1st Trip ** GF & SOG '08~(Not My)Disney Wedding ** POFQ '08~BIG Family Vacation ** POP '09~Just the Girls ** BCV '10~1 Night @WDW ** OKW GV '11~C's 1st Trip ** BLT/OKW '12~Surprise For My Girls ** SSR '14 ~ 60 Hours of WDW** 2014 ~ BCV/OKW/VGF! A Two Week Grand Villa Extravaganza!! (Link to the Trip Report)
Old 04-02-2013, 08:56 AM   #2630
Seabean
Mouseketeer

Thanks for posting that.

If anyone is interested in specifically discussing the results of the courtyard pool refurb, I started a thread here:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3089718
Old 04-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #2631
JoBird
Proud Charter Member of the Tagless Clique
I almost got a tag about clean butter but then the tag fairy saw I don't like tags

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyGina View Post
I'm not loving the new pool either. I really don't like the look of the fence around the pool. Makes you feel like you are in a zoo being all caged up. To me, the fence has taken away from the beauty of the grounds of the GF. The grounds always felt very open and flowing. Not so with the fence now.
This is it in a nutshell. It reminds me of a huge apartment complex pool. Even my 10 year old said as much to me when I showed her the pictures-- she says it's now ruined.

All of these "improvements", IMO, are just sad. I'm afraid the Grand will never have the feeling it once did.
Guess I will have to experience it again in person before I can speak in absolutes.

On a happier note---
Welcome back k&a&c'smom! We missed you!
Old 04-02-2013, 09:01 AM   #2632
WDWOswald
Mouseketeer

With the construction- are there still some sandy beach areas to hang out?
Old 04-02-2013, 01:11 PM   #2633
BayGirl22
DIS Veteran

As much as I don't love the look of that new fence, as the mom of 2 small children (18 mos and 3 yrs) I feel much, much better knowing that pool is fenced in now. Its pretty standard for safety reasons that pools have a fence around them, and I was kind of surprised the courtyard pool was so open. I think considering the need for a fence they did a decent job of keeping it subtle and themed.

Now before I get flamed, we are parents that keep a constant eye on our children in public, talk to them about not wandering away or going near the pool, have them in swim lessons, all the proper precautions. I had already requested Sago to be away from the pool. But there's always the possibility that they will wander away for even a minute en route from Gasparillas to the room or something. It only takes a minute for a child to fall in with devastating results and I know that would worry me the entire trip. So I for one will be slightly more relaxed with that fence up.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:28 PM   #2634
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Anybody really know how deep the pool is these days at its deepest part, since the construction?
Old 04-02-2013, 01:51 PM   #2635
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonzerosum View Post
The fencing will certainly add to the commute time from say, Boca Chica to the main building. We've always enjoyed taking a little short cut through the pool area to get back to our room when coming from the main building.
I hadn't thought of that yet! We always use the short cut, too, much easier than taking the paths around.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamcruiser View Post
I thought the whole purpose of the reno was to "upgrade" for those staying at DVC? :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy Lover View Post
I don't think they are putting in a pool specifically for the GF DVC. I would imagine that both the pools at the original GF will be available for us for the DVCers staying at the GFV. I wouldn't be surprised if pool hopping is no longer available to all DVC members. As of right now the GF is not listed as a restricted pool in terms of DVC members, but I bet that is coming!
This is what I understand as well - the GF pools will be open to GF villas guests.

Interesting to note the GF is not yet listed as restricted!:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyGina View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBird View Post
This is it in a nutshell. It reminds me of a huge apartment complex pool. Even my 10 year old said as much to me when I showed her the pictures-- she says it's now ruined.

All of these "improvements", IMO, are just sad. I'm afraid the Grand will never have the feeling it once did.
Guess I will have to experience it again in person before I can speak in absolutes.

On a happier note---
Welcome back k&a&c'smom! We missed you!
Thanks, good to hear from you!

I'm with you all, part of the charm of the Grand is the open flow of the grounds. We will be there in a few weeks, so maybe it won't bother me as much in person as it does in photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWOswald View Post
With the construction- are there still some sandy beach areas to hang out?
There is a very small strip of beach left, in front of the Summerhouse landing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayGirl22 View Post
As much as I don't love the look of that new fence, as the mom of 2 small children (18 mos and 3 yrs) I feel much, much better knowing that pool is fenced in now. Its pretty standard for safety reasons that pools have a fence around them, and I was kind of surprised the courtyard pool was so open. I think considering the need for a fence they did a decent job of keeping it subtle and themed.

Now before I get flamed, we are parents that keep a constant eye on our children in public, talk to them about not wandering away or going near the pool, have them in swim lessons, all the proper precautions. I had already requested Sago to be away from the pool. But there's always the possibility that they will wander away for even a minute en route from Gasparillas to the room or something. It only takes a minute for a child to fall in with devastating results and I know that would worry me the entire trip. So I for one will be slightly more relaxed with that fence up.
You won't get flamed here! I certainly see your point, but the layout isn't quite that easy for children to just run into the pool. There is a perimeter of bushes, with paths leading into the pool area, not to mention the chairs and tables. It would take more than a random dash for most kids to enter the pool deck, there are a number of barriers to navigate.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 04-02-2013, 02:04 PM   #2636
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eromzek View Post
Hello All,

I need some help.. as I have never stayed in the GF main building and am conflicted on price vs room type..

I currently have a King Deluxe Room, main building CL, booked for my honeymoon in June for 5 nights..using the AA rate. I called this morning to apply the recent Visa discount, and unfortunately it cannot be applied to this room type .

However, for (literally) $1,000 less, I can book a regular Deluxe room, main building CL.. however I have no idea what type of view I could get with this type of room.

$1000 is alot, but ever since I booked this months ago I had my heart set on the beautiful octagon view king room.. and just have no idea whether a 'regular' deluxe room with 2 queens would provide the same view/atmosphere for a honeymoon!!

Can someone who knows these rooms provide some advise??
We have stayed in both rooms and the view from 3 of the octagon rooms and all of the rectangular king deluxe rooms is better than either type of queen deluxe room. There are two locations for the regular deluxe main bldg. (queen) rooms - 4 are overlooking the courtyard, 2 overlook the beach pool. Both views are pretty (except the DVC construction may still be a little unsightly in June) but do not have a view of the castle and/or fireworks. To be fair, 3 of the octagonal king deluxe rooms overlook the beach pool and monorail and do not have a fireworks view, either.

I posted a photo of the queen deluxe main bldg. courtyard view a page or two back.

Normally, the king deluxe and regular deluxe are within a few dollars price wise - is it due to a better discount that you could book the queen deluxe room for so much less? I would certainly make sure it is indeed a deluxe room in the main bldg., and not an outer building deluxe before switching. If it IS main bldg., I would probably switch and save the $1000 for a trip to V&A's.

ETA: I forgot to respond to the part about atmosphere - the octagon king deluxe is certainly more romantic and beautiful, so if that is a major factor, you will likely want to stick with the king deluxe. They are referred to as "honeymoon suites" after all.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH

Last edited by k&a&c'smom; 04-02-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #2637
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Just got back from 8 nights at the GF. 3 in a Deluxe Garden and 5 in a Theme Park View. The property is fabulous, but the beauty of the exterior and grounds does not carry through to the rooms themselves. The rooms, while fine, are more of a 1994 interpretation of Victorian decor. The phones in the bathrooms are 3 different colors of oxidized plastic. There are no HDMI connections on the TVs. There are no DVD players in the room. The carpets are tired. The fabrics are tired. The wifi is barely 2mbps on a good day. Ie, it's time for a big redecoration/renovation of the interiors IMO in order to match the quality of the exterior and grounds, so that the beauty isn't just skin deep. Anyone else?
The rooms were renovated in 2007, so it hasn't been all that long. I much preferred the whimsical patterns of the old decor, but I am in the minority. The majority of posters were very happy with this decor until the Epcot resorts were updated with white duvets last year. Again, not my cup of tea, but most people do hate the bedspreads and I guess if I had to choose between the two, the duvets would win! The current bedspreads have been my least favorite aspect of this look.

On the other hand, I LOVE the wallpaper, both the older prints in the bath and sink area, and the damask print in the bedroom. Love the drapes, too, very luxe.

I have a feeling if the bath phones were dealt with, they would simply be taken out - I hope this doesn't happen. I had a giggle about the HDMI connections on the TVs, as prior to the 2007 renovations, the big complaint was that the TVs were small and not flat screen. We don't spend much time watching TV while in the World, so none of these issues really affect us. There are DVD players in the club level rooms, as is the case at all WDW resorts.

I am so with you on the wifi, though, we could barely connect last August and then it kicked us off pretty quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabean View Post

If anyone is interested in specifically discussing the results of the courtyard pool refurb, I started a thread here:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3089718
Thanks for the link, I'll go check out your thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdklein View Post
Anybody really know how deep the pool is these days at its deepest part, since the construction?
I would like to know this, too. I've read it is 4 ft. but have wondered if it is exactly 4 ft., or a little more or less, depending on location.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:32 PM   #2638
tommylicious
Earning My Ears

k&a and what is with that "air freshener" they heap on in the lodging buildings? it reeks!
Old 04-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #2639
eromzek
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
We have stayed in both rooms and the view from 3 of the octagon rooms and all of the rectangular king deluxe rooms is better than either type of queen deluxe room. There are two locations for the regular deluxe main bldg. (queen) rooms - 4 are overlooking the courtyard, 2 overlook the beach pool. Both views are pretty (except the DVC construction may still be a little unsightly in June) but do not have a view of the castle and/or fireworks. To be fair, 3 of the octagonal king deluxe rooms overlook the beach pool and monorail and do not have a fireworks view, either.

I posted a photo of the queen deluxe main bldg. courtyard view a page or two back.

Normally, the king deluxe and regular deluxe are within a few dollars price wise - is it due to a better discount that you could book the queen deluxe room for so much less? I would certainly make sure it is indeed a deluxe room in the main bldg., and not an outer building deluxe before switching. If it IS main bldg., I would probably switch and save the $1000 for a trip to V&A's.

ETA: I forgot to respond to the part about atmosphere - the octagon king deluxe is certainly more romantic and beautiful, so if that is a major factor, you will likely want to stick with the king deluxe. They are referred to as "honeymoon suites" after all.
Thank you very much for your feedback.

Yes, it is due to a discount being offered for a queen deluxe room, but not for a king deluxe room (likely because the # of King deluxe rooms allotted for the discount are already booked)

It sounds like overall, the king deluxe is the best option. I really want to spare the $1000.. but if the view is less, and the 'romantic atmosphere' is lacking, maybe I should keep the king. I am the cheapest person on the planet and cannot believe I'm airing on the side of paying more for the King Deluxe.. but the honeymoon is a once in a lifetime trip and I really want it to be absoluely the best possible.

Any other thoughts from anyone? Am I an idiot here? lol
It's especially hard to pull this trigger having never stayed in either of these rooms (and not knowing the DVC construction / view situation)
Old 04-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #2640
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

It's a patented air freshener - I know someone has the info...

MOST of us here love it...

But you have to like florals I guess...

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: