Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 09:19 AM   #2611
cgulls
Mouseketeer

I assume many of you have seen by now but photos of the reopened Courtyard Pool have been posted on www.wdwmagic.com !!!
Old 04-01-2013, 09:39 AM   #2612
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgulls View Post
I assume many of you have seen by now but photos of the reopened Courtyard Pool have been posted on www.wdwmagic.com !!!

I am guessing due to people "pool hopping" the perimeter fencing is necessary but I am not in love with it myself

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #2613
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthingsmickey View Post
Isn't the new pool supposed to be zero entry? I can't tell from the photos posted which side is zero entry now. Also, are the hot tubs still there?
It looks like the zero entry is on the former shallow end, nearest the Conch Key end of the building. The hot tub is still at the courtyard pool, and I assume the one at the spa is still there, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdklein View Post
Supposedly they were making the pool approx 4 feet deep. Personally I think it stinks.
Me, too!! We loved the deep end, it was our favorite area to relax. One of the few things we were not in love with at the US/IOA resorts was the shallower pools - now, the WDW pools are going the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgulls View Post
Thanks for the link, I had not seen these yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs314 View Post
I am guessing due to people "pool hopping" the perimeter fencing is necessary but I am not in love with it myself
I'm not a fan, either. I hadn't realized they were adding a fence, the GF never seemed to have as many hoppers as other resorts and I can't imagine the courtyard pool would be anyone's destination pool choice. I love it, but I certainly never feel the urge to visit it when we are staying elsewhere!
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 04-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #2614
ao23
Earning My Ears

Belated pool pics

Here are a couple of my pool pics. It was also the view from the verandah of my 3rd floor outer building, garden view room in Big Pine Key, which I was happy with.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46057621@N00/8610326876/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46057621@N00/8610327354/
Old 04-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #2615
ktlm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs314 View Post
I don't like it either. I guess I can see why it was necessary, not just for poolhoppers, but for liability protection and to protect small kids who get away from their parents from getting to the pool and accidently falling in. Seems like I read that Florida had instituted some new regulations or laws regarding the fencing of pools in the last year or so, so maybe they had to do it to get the permit to redo the pool. Maybe they can place more bushes or flowers and greenery to make it look at little better.

I also have to wonder why the "slippery when wet" sign is IN the pool on the side in one of the photos. That would seem to be a no brainer. Makes me wonder if that is a step or ladder area where someone has already had an accident in that spot, and they have a slickness issue they need to remedy with some more texturing or strips.

It does look a lot smaller in the photos than the old pool. Hopefully, someone will be along soon who has been there in person and can confirm whether that is the case. Maybe it is just the angle of the photos or the fence making it appear smaller when it isn't.

Glad it is finally reopened though!
Old 04-01-2013, 06:35 PM   #2616
CaliforniaDreaming
#1 Grand Floridian Fan/Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
It looks like the zero entry is on the former shallow end, nearest the Conch Key end of the building. The hot tub is still at the courtyard pool, and I assume the one at the spa is still there, too.

Me, too!! We loved the deep end, it was our favorite area to relax. One of the few things we were not in love with at the US/IOA resorts was the shallower pools - now, the WDW pools are going the same way.

Thanks for the link, I had not seen these yet.

I'm not a fan, either. I hadn't realized they were adding a fence, the GF never seemed to have as many hoppers as other resorts and I can't imagine the courtyard pool would be anyone's destination pool choice. I love it, but I certainly never feel the urge to visit it when we are staying elsewhere!
That fence!! I hate it. And the lack of the deep end is going to send me off the deep end.

Ok, its really not that bad. Change is progress, I get it. Now that this project is complete, how do we get an adult quiet pool added over by the new villa building?
Old 04-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #2617
WDWOswald
Mouseketeer

Can you guys share your favorite buildings/floors for garden view rooms? Are the chances pretty slim I'll be stuck with a view of a construction crane and a half finished dvc building?

I know I could request Sago Cay, but I feel like the view of the monorail instead of the view of the rest of the resort would not be as nice. I'd love boca chica facing the courtyard pool, at least I think that's the best garden view option?
Old 04-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #2618
mmmears
DIS Veteran

I'm going to miss the deep end as well. And the pool does look smaller in the photos (but maybe it's really not?)... It's probably going to be really crowded now with it being so shallow and the zero entry.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
Old 04-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #2619
cm8
Half of the time we're rushing around to get things done last minute or we realize we're running behind so we need to catch up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao23 View Post
Here are a couple of my pool pics. It was also the view from the verandah of my 3rd floor outer building, garden view room in Big Pine Key, which I was happy with.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46057621@N00/8610326876/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46057621@N00/8610327354/
Thanks for posting

It does look a lot smaller and I too, will miss the deep end. It was nice to have a side that people who couldn't swim couldn't use

"I have placed the Lord ever before me. Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken." Psalm 16:8

Old 04-01-2013, 09:34 PM   #2620
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

It looks smaller to me, too, I hope it's just the angle of the photos.

ao23 - thanks for the links to the photos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreaming View Post
That fence!! I hate it. And the lack of the deep end is going to send me off the deep end.

Ok, its really not that bad. Change is progress, I get it. Now that this project is complete, how do we get an adult quiet pool added over by the new villa building?
Maybe a petition? We may be the lone voices in the wilderness. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWOswald View Post
Can you guys share your favorite buildings/floors for garden view rooms? Are the chances pretty slim I'll be stuck with a view of a construction crane and a half finished dvc building?

I know I could request Sago Cay, but I feel like the view of the monorail instead of the view of the rest of the resort would not be as nice. I'd love boca chica facing the courtyard pool, at least I think that's the best garden view option?
The marina views in Sago Cay and Conch Key are considered garden view, if that appeals to you. The pool views in Boca Chica and Conch are garden view as well, though Boca has a better view of the pool from more rooms.

In fact, I'm not sure how many garden view rooms DO have a view of the DVC construction - the Big Pine Key rooms that look toward the new villas are mostly lagoon view. (I think Cali-D may have better info on room categories by building) So having a garden view probably helps lower the chances of a construction view.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 04-01-2013, 09:42 PM   #2621
tommylicious
Earning My Ears

Just got back from 8 nights at the GF. 3 in a Deluxe Garden and 5 in a Theme Park View. The property is fabulous, but the beauty of the exterior and grounds does not carry through to the rooms themselves. The rooms, while fine, are more of a 1994 interpretation of Victorian decor. The phones in the bathrooms are 3 different colors of oxidized plastic. There are no HDMI connections on the TVs. There are no DVD players in the room. The carpets are tired. The fabrics are tired. The wifi is barely 2mbps on a good day. Ie, it's time for a big redecoration/renovation of the interiors IMO in order to match the quality of the exterior and grounds, so that the beauty isn't just skin deep. Anyone else?
Old 04-01-2013, 10:03 PM   #2622
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the pool pics. I think it's sad too that every time there is a pool rehab, it's to make the pool shallow 4' is just too shallow. But I'll bring my pool noodle so I can stay submerged in the August heat without having to crawl around on my knees . This worked pretty well last August in the AKL pool which is sallow too with the exception of a very small deep area.

I don't know what the point of that fencing is? Will it be locked and need kttw to open it?

Still waiting on Beach walls? Did I miss the answer? if anyone knows please PM me

Hope everyone had a happy Easter who celebrates.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Old 04-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #2623
tommylicious
Earning My Ears

I heard chatter on property that you will need a GF key to get into the pool so that it doesn't get overrun by DVC from the villas.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:27 PM   #2624
nonzerosum
DIS Veteran

The fencing will certainly add to the commute time from say, Boca Chica to the main building. We've always enjoyed taking a little short cut through the pool area to get back to our room when coming from the main building.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:06 AM   #2625
jojomickey
Mouseketeer

If that is true that you will need a card for the pool, Do you think they will limit the amount of people from DVC that will be hard to do being there is no pool for DVC I Have a feeling it is going to be so crowded not like the pool of old times and I don't like the fence too
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: